Leica M3 Infinity Focusing Issue
Old 03-22-2019   #1
davidde1000

Leica M3 Infinity Focusing Issue

So I recently acquired a nice M3. However, some of my lenses are focusing short of infinity, and others are fine. My Konica 50/2 and Jupiter 3 are noticeably short of infinity. My 90/2 Summicron is a tiny bit short of infinity. The Voigtlander lenses are fine. All of the above lenses have good infinity focus on an M7. Is there something that could explain this? Thanks!

Old 03-22-2019   #2
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidde1000 View Post
So I recently acquired a nice M3. However, some of my lenses are focusing short of infinity, and others are fine. My Konica 50/2 and Jupiter 3 are noticeably short of infinity. My 90/2 Summicron is a tiny bit short of infinity. The Voigtlander lenses are fine. All of the above lenses have good infinity focus on an M7. Is there something that could explain this? Thanks!
Taking your post literally, if they work very well on the M7 the most likely logical explanation is that the body register of the M3 is off spec.

That's probably not what you mean but it's the correct answer for what you've said. Perhaps you could elaborate.
Cheers
Brett

Old 03-22-2019   #3
rfaspen

What do you mean, focusing short of infinity?
Regardless, I get the feeling you have a thing going on with the M3 body. A need for adjustment?

Old 03-23-2019   #4
davidde1000

Thanks everyone. Maybe I can explain it better.

I have a Konica, M39, and Voigtlander lenses that focus to infinity on the rangefinder patch on an M7 corresponding to the engraving on the lens.

When I put the same lenses on a SS M3, the Konica and M39 lenses fall noticeably short of infinity according to the RF patch. The Voigtlander lenses get closer to infinity but are just a hair short - prob not enough to matter.

I am just wondering if this is normally a RF alignment issue on the M3 or a problem with the lenses. I just don't get how the M7 and M3 could be so different with the same lenses. Thanks again!

Old 03-23-2019   #5
rfaspen

It really sounds like you need a good old-fashioned rangefinder adjustment in the M3. Many Leica techs can do it quickly and cheaply (relatively)