Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Fixed Lens 35mm RF

Fixed Lens 35mm RF This forum is dedicated to the numerous and popular fixed lens rangefinders, including but not limited to the Canon Canonets, Konica III and S series, Minoltas, Ricohs, Vivitars, and so many others. Note fixed lens Olympus , Yashicas, Argus and Retina have separate forums.

The Konica C35
Old 12-03-2018   #1
David Hughes
David Hughes

The Konica C35

These are very neat little RF's but take a mercury battery. They are "P" mode only but the aperture and speed chosen are shown in the view finder.

The focussing is by the little tab shown and it always reminds me of a Leica, which could be why I like it so much.

And here's a sample.

Regards, David

PS Used "edit" to change the sample as I like it more. I used to walk with the dog past this house, by a footpath, and there were always a cluster of old cars being sorted out. Not in the picture was a white and rust Rolls Royce and a few others...

Old 12-03-2018   #2
bmattock

Very nice! I always enjoy well-made little rangefinders. I happen to be a big fan of the Sears 35|rf, which is a rebranded Ricoh 500G as I recall. Fun little go-anywhere cameras with nice lenses.

Old 12-03-2018   #3
DwF

David.,

I have one of these sitting (sadly) along with a couple Auto S3 cameras. I've used the S3 more recently and need to service the shutter on my C35.

There is a wonderful simplicity about the C35 that is particularly attractive. In part the geometry of the lens on the body; it doesn't protrude like the faster S3 model. And I agree the tab is nice and reminds me of the Leica. The images they make (both models) always amaze me. And yours here is very nice!

David

Old 12-03-2018   #4
robert blu
quiet photographer

I still have mine, I think I bought in the '70/'72. I can say it was my first rangefinder!
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 12-03-2018   #5
charjohncarter

David, I still use mine about twice a year. I has been a great travel camera: focus and shoot. I find that my third one (I really never paid much attention to sharpness until recently) has the sharpest lens of all my 35mm lenses and fixed lens cameras. I don't know if it is the lens or the more precise film flatness and exacting positioning. The only other camera I have that is it's league is my IIIf with the 50mm Elmar.

I liked this shot which I would have missed it I had to fiddle with settings:

Tmax 100 HC-110h by John Carter, on Flickr

Old 12-03-2018   #6
EarlJam

I still have mine as well, purchased new in 1969 as my first 35mm camera. That the camera survived, as long as it has, is due to my sister, who dropped it lens-first in 1970 or so. The camera sat in a box for the next 45+ years. Just back from repair (finally) and waiting for the first roll of film to come back from the lab.

In addition to the metering, the system for flash photography was reasonably advanced: set the guide number for the flash and the camera picks the correct aperture for the focus point.

Here's a shot made with the camera, a scan of an 8x10 from Fujichrome (I managed to misplace the transparency at some point over the years, even though I have others from the same roll).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C35.jpg (26.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 1971_022_003.jpg (115.0 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by EarlJam : 12-03-2018 at 10:21. Reason: Add example

Old 12-03-2018   #7
B-9
Devin Bro

Love the little C35, but I ultimately stuck with the Minolta Hi-Matic FP in black. Basically the same, without a self timer lever.

If you google Hi-Matic FP, you will run into a photo of my FP with a homemade grip attached. My old Flickr that ive been locked out of. Same username.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 12-03-2018   #8
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

My first one was sexy black and gave me some nice images.
I sent it to Greyhoundman for CLA right before he disappeared and I never got it back.

I recently bought a very nice C35V, the zone-focus model.
Clever VF allows you to see focus symbols on lens barrel.

Chris

Old 12-03-2018   #9
Steve M.

They're beautiful cameras in silver or in black. Perfect proportions, very, very good lens, and make the perfect travel camera. I have lots and lots of good shots from the ones I've owned over the years. Build qualiity is not the best though. Konica sold the design to a lot of other camera makers: GAF Memo, Cosina Compact 35E, and on and on. My preference is for the original C35 in silver and black. They also made a zone focus model called the 35V. I have a 12x18 print from one on the wall that is tack sharp. It could have been made a lot bigger. Whenever I took mine for a stroll I always got compliments on it.

Here's the print

Old 12-03-2018   #10
benlees

Had a C35v for a few years. sadly the focus ring became unglued and I never bothered to fix it. Quite liked the lens with colour film especially.

Was supposed to be my first rangefinder. Didn't know the "v" meant scale focus!

Old 12-04-2018   #11
David Hughes
David Hughes

Thanks everyone for the response; I didn't realise it had so many fans but it is understandable. I hate using the word but it really is a "cute" little rangefinder.

One from what looks like the same assembly line* is the Mamiya 135 EE. The 135 EE is unique in having a dedicated flashgun that is one of the first to use an extra contact in the hot-shoe to light up a flash ready icon in the viewfinder. I just wish I could find one of those flashes.

Regards, David

* The C35 is 1967 onwards and the 135 EE is 1977 onwards...

Old 12-04-2018   #12
charjohncarter

If you have some AG-1 bulbs, I'll send you the one on the C35.

flash unit by John Carter, on Flickr

Old 12-04-2018   #13
Pentode

Cute is about right. Maybe even adorable.
Mine, sadly, has an ailing shutter which makes it decidedly less cute but I’ll get around to repairing it one of these days.

Old 12-04-2018   #14
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
If you have some AG-1 bulbs, I'll send you the one on the C35.

flash unit by John Carter, on Flickr
Many thanks for the offer but I've dozens of flashes and bulbs going back to the 30's. The one I'm after is the Mamiya Elevan 1600B which has the dedicated extra pin in the shoe. I'll go on searching but I get fed up of all the VW 1600's the search finds for me...

Thanks again, David

Old 12-05-2018   #15
skucera

David, I have collected a lot of old flashes too, but generally only going back the 1960's. I'm surprised how easy it is to get most of the bulb flashes going again... generally only a new battery and a bulb, but occasionally also some new capacitors. I haven't had as good of luck with reviving strobe flashes, but I have found several that work perfectly with new AA batteries. Perhaps we should start a thread on old flashes?

Scott
1969 Canon New Canonet QL17-L
1976 Konica Autoreflex T3n
1977 Canon 110ED 20
1979 Minox 35 GL
1979 Olympus XA
1980 Pentax Auto 110
1987 Polaroid Spectra
1996 Canon EOS Elan IIe

Old 12-05-2018   #16
Austintatious

I have a nice example in black. Have not used it in a while. Too nice not to be used.

Konica C35 Automatic & 1/2 case by Carlos Yashinon, on Flickr

RF's : Bessa-R ,FED II, Olympus 35RC , Kiev 4AM,Argus C-3
Other :Minolta XD-11, Minolta SRT102, Pentax Spotmatic ,Nikon N80, Yashica-Mat 124G, Rolleicord Va
Digital :Nikon D7100, Sony NEX 6, Panasonic LX-5

Old 12-05-2018   #17
charjohncarter

Again a great camera, for just shooting.

Trix-HC-110h-Rodinal by John Carter, on Flickr

Old 12-07-2018   #18
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by skucera View Post
David, I have collected a lot of old flashes too, but generally only going back the 1960's. I'm surprised how easy it is to get most of the bulb flashes going again... generally only a new battery and a bulb, but occasionally also some new capacitors. I haven't had as good of luck with reviving strobe flashes, but I have found several that work perfectly with new AA batteries. Perhaps we should start a thread on old flashes?

Scott
I'm sorry to say it but I dislike flash; imo it's useful but not desirable. The heap of old bulbs and flash guns I have generally came with other stuff and it is filling an old shoe or boot box somewhere. I even have a Leica SF 58 that I've never used.

OTOH, I can see a lot of good from a new thread. So I hope this doesn't discourage you.

Regards, David

Allow me a silly question...
Old 12-07-2018   #19
Joao
Negativistic forever

Allow me a silly question...

Allow me a futile and perhaps naif question: I never understood quite well the utility of the ring between the camera body and the distance ring. It is supposed to have a mark for using in AUTO mode and my camera does not have such a mark.

I never use the camera in B mode, neither I use flash. I am quite happy with the photos I get without paying importance to the position of that first ring. I notice that the ring , in some positions, blocks the distance ring at its extreme positions, but that is all
Is there a mark missing ?? What really is the utility of that ring ???
Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions
Joao

Old 12-07-2018   #20
Dan Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
Again a great camera, for just shooting.

Trix-HC-110h-Rodinal by John Carter, on Flickr

Can you explain this caption- HC-110 AND Rodinal? Stand developing? Curious.

Old 12-07-2018   #21
charjohncarter

I felt that adding a little of Rodinal to my HC-110h developer added a little snap to sharpness and brightens highlights without blowing them. Definitely, not stand or semi-stand.

Allow me a futile and perhaps naif question...
Old 12-08-2018   #22
David Hughes
David Hughes

Allow me a futile and perhaps naif question...

Hi,

Can you say what version (make etc) of this versatile RF you have, please?

Regards, David

Old 12-08-2018   #23
charjohncarter

I've had three: two standard first models, and now the 'Automatic.' When I came back to the US in 1972 my first one stopped working I opened it up and it was full of mold from too much Panama.' The second one I dropped and it still worked, but I bought the 'Automatic' just in case the second one gave out; which it did.

Old 12-08-2018   #24
Joao
Negativistic forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Hi,

Can you say what version (make etc) of this versatile RF you have, please?

Regards, David
David
My Konica C35 is the Automatic model, black and silver.
The ring I mentioned seems useless to me, but I am curious about its utility...
Regards
Joao

Old 12-08-2018   #25
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao View Post
David
My Konica C35 is the Automatic model, black and silver.
The ring I mentioned seems useless to me, but I am curious about its utility...
Regards
Joao

Would you believe that's the only one I've not used or seen? OTOH, I'm sure someone will come forward with the answer for you, so I'll wish you luck.

Regards, David

Old 12-09-2018   #26
Joao
Negativistic forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Would you believe that's the only one I've not used or seen? OTOH, I'm sure someone will come forward with the answer for you, so I'll wish you luck.

Regards, David
David
Thank you for your interest. As long as the camera keeps making good photos, I am not worried. It was just curiosity...
Best regards
Joao

Old 12-09-2018   #27
zuiko85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao View Post
Allow me a futile and perhaps naif question: I never understood quite well the utility of the ring between the camera body and the distance ring. It is supposed to have a mark for using in AUTO mode – and my camera does not have such a mark.

I never use the camera in B mode, neither I use flash. I am quite happy with the photos I get without paying importance to the position of that first ring. I notice that the ring , in some positions, blocks the distance ring at its extreme positions, but that is all …
Is there a mark missing ?? What really is the utility of that ring ???
Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions
Joao

It is a 'GN' (Guide Number) ring for setting the camera up for use with a manual flash. That is why it limits your focusing ring when engaged, the flash will only reach so far.

The GN when set on this ring will automatically adjust the aperture to the correct setting as you focus the lens. It is a mechanical version of auto flash control. The two sets of numbers are for feet and meters.
You can figure out your Guide Number (in feet) for the flash you are using by looking at the flash calculator dial or guide on your flash at the 10 ft. setting.

IE, lets say you are using 400 ISO film, and on you flash @ 400 ISO @ 10 feet it says use f8, then just multiply this by 10 and the setting on the GN dial should be 80.

Obviously the GN will vary depending on how powerful your flash is and what film speed you are using.

Clear as mud? I'm not a very good explainer.

PS; I've never owned a C35 so I don't know how to engage the GN feature, but you must know how because you said it limited focusing when you set it so probably yours is working.
The GN feature was on several compact RF cameras of that time period. My Olympus 35RC has a GN setting.

Primitive autoflash
Old 12-09-2018   #28
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Primitive autoflash

For flash aperture was coupled to distance on these and some other cameras.

The first electronic flash units were manual only, providing full-power flashes.
Remember this was before the advent of inexpensive automatic flash units.

Some cameras were even designed for small BC flashbulb units.

Chris

Forum glitch
Old 12-09-2018   #29
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Forum glitch

Please delete this duplicate post.

Last edited by ChrisPlatt : 12-09-2018 at 04:57. Reason: Duplicate - Please delete

Old 12-09-2018   #30
DougK
This space left blank

I used to have one of these but I wound up selling it when I did a gear purge a few years ago. Along with my Bessa R, I should not have sold that Konica. Tons of fun to shoot with and a killer lens, beautiful for black-and-white film.

Old 12-10-2018   #31
Karlovak

I have a black C35 Automatic. Otherwise minty, but a bit of a nuisance that my film rewind stick is flapping freely, I tried changing magnets but it didn't work.

I really like that the minimum automatic shutter speed is 1/30, I'm actually surprised it's a rare feature in automatic cameras. I can always hassle-freerly shoot hand-held, no need to tinker with film speed. In practice, it's almost always only a few stops of speed you need, and you can later pull it back in the scan.

C35 Automatic, Tri-X 400

Old 12-10-2018   #32
Joao
Negativistic forever

Thank you Chris Platt and Zuiko 85.
Your information was clear. As I never use a flash, this feature is useless to me. As I said above, I get good photos with the C35 ignoring that ring.
I will keep doing so...
Best regards
Joao

Old 12-10-2018   #33
David Hughes
David Hughes

Just to confuse the issue, on the original C35 RF the line on the edge of the lens turret had to be aligned with "AUTO" unless you were using flash. There was a button on the opposite side to the bit you gripped. When set up like that the ring with the ft and m on it rotated and everything else stayed still.

Regards, David

PS And I should have mentioned, in the OP, that I use a Wein cell with mine.

Old 12-10-2018   #34
charjohncarter

My original is like yours, but the flash numbers although its says 'ft' really are guide numbers for the 'flashmatic' setup. So you set the guide number for your flash on the lens mount and then use the RF to focus and the aperture is automatically changed to fit the flash power.

The 'Automatic' version was a little confusing as the automatic setting was within the guide numbers: so the green auto on the focus ring had to line up with the green line on the guide number ring. When you used flash you had to set auto green line to the correct guide number.

This Automatic Flash was a good idea and Nikon used it on a few lenses made during the same period. But flashes soon all had thyristors to regulate flash output so this Automatic Flash system must have died.

I have used both Wein cells and the hearing aid air cells on my C35 and both work.

Old 12-14-2018   #35
Karlovak

I quite like mine, it's super fast and meters well. Great for street. Snappy.

There are always peculiar faces at the old market.

C35 Automatic, Portra 400