M2 rf calibration woes
Old 10-22-2018   #1
siracusa

M2 rf calibration woes

Hi all,
I've got an M2 that I picked up a while ago as a user for a good price. Not in great shape but the price reflected this.
The focus, however, is way off. I mean way off.
As the camera doesn't stand me much I thought I'd use it as an opportunity to learn how to calibrate the rangefinder myself. However, I'm having problems turning the eccentric screw. It's extremely stiff, and not helped by the fact that the slot in the screw is heavily worn from past adjustments.
Just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for getting this to turn that I may not have tried?
I've been using an offset screwdriver the blade of which I've filed, although the best purchase I get on it is when I very carefully hold a hex flat head bit in my hand with thumb and forefinger directly above the screw.
Any tips or tricks that I've not yet tried would be gratefully received!
Given the state of the slot in the eccentric screw, I also wondered are these available as spares?
Thanks and best,
David

Old 10-22-2018   #2
Peter Jennings

You don't want to accidentally bend the arm, so don't force it. Does the roller turn easily? Have you cleaned the roller? There may be some gunk that is causing the eccentric to not turn. Put a couple drops of naphtha or alcohol on the roller and let it sit for a few minutes.

If all that doesn't work, you may want to take the arm out of the camera to loosen the eccentric. If you do this, be sure to carefully mark the ring under the pivot screw so that you can position it correctly when you reassemble it.

This may be helpful: http://www.jumboprawn.net/jesse/cams...-overhaul.html

Old 10-22-2018   #3
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by siracusa View Post
Hi all,
I've got an M2 that I picked up a while ago as a user for a good price. Not in great shape but the price reflected this.
The focus, however, is way off. I mean way off.
As the camera doesn't stand me much I thought I'd use it as an opportunity to learn how to calibrate the rangefinder myself. However, I'm having problems turning the eccentric screw. It's extremely stiff, and not helped by the fact that the slot in the screw is heavily worn from past adjustments.
Just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for getting this to turn that I may not have tried?
I've been using an offset screwdriver the blade of which I've filed, although the best purchase I get on it is when I very carefully hold a hex flat head bit in my hand with thumb and forefinger directly above the screw.
Any tips or tricks that I've not yet tried would be gratefully received!
Given the state of the slot in the eccentric screw, I also wondered are these available as spares?
Thanks and best,
David
Unless you are already experienced and successful in camera repair,
its foolish to risk damage on a Leica M trying to be cheap on a professional RF adjustment.

No doubt some will tell you how easy it is,
but notice they will not likely pay for your repair if you damage your camera.

Stephen

Old 11-08-2018   #4
siracusa

Thanks, Peter, Stephen, for your thoughts. Stephen, on further thought I'm inclined to agree with you: there's a reason I managed to pick this camera up for an indecently low price only to discover screws missing and/or chewed up, and that reason is that it's more than likely been messed with in the past by people who aren't professional repairers. That alone is reason enough for me to not to add to its woes. Off to the repairers she will go...
David

Old 11-08-2018   #5
Erik van Straten

The fact that the eccentric is worn, proves that it was stuck before, probably a long time.

The only thing you can do - before installing a new part - is to put a tiny drop of oil on the stuck screw, leave it there for two weeks at least and then retry to make it turn. Oil gets in the narrowest locations.

However, most probably this is tried before, so you better try finding a new part.

Erik.