Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica Screw Mount / LTM Cameras

View Poll Results: Choose the 28mm LTM you like most
Avenon 28mm 3.5 6 30.00%
Canon 28mm 3.5 3 15.00%
Orion-15 28mm 6.0 3 15.00%
Canon 28mm 2.8 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Four options for a 28mm LTM lens
Old 12-23-2017   #1
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Four options for a 28mm LTM lens

Hey,

I have narrowed my options for a 28mm LTM lens down to four lenses. Availability and price are considered, as well as image quality and ergonomics.

1. Avenon 28mm 3.5. Black is a plus, different types of focus levers, but rather expensive

2. Canon 28mm 3.5. Chrome is a minus, low contrast is a minus, less expensive though. Has focus lever.

3. Orion-15 28mm 6.0. Chrome is a minus and it's slow, but image quality is good and it can be had (very) cheap. No focus lever though.

4. Canon 28mm 2.8. Just including for completeness. Chrome is a minus, price and low contrast are also minus. For the price I'd rather have an Avenon.

What would your pick be, and why? Samples on film highly welcome!

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 12-23-2017   #2
Jake Mongey

I owned the canon 28mm 2.8 for a while and it was a good lens - sharp and i actually didnt find the contrast to be low - however it does vingette more than I expected - ill see if I can dig up sample shots I didnt have it for long

Old 12-23-2017   #3
02Pilot
Malcontent

I had the Canon 28/3.5, and currently have the Canon 28/2.8 along with one not on your list, the Nikkor 28/3.5.

Both Canons have what I would consider medium contrast; certainly low in comparison to modern lenses, but not that low. Resolution on the 2.8 is somewhat better than the 3.5. They both vignette wide open, and the corners take a while to sharpen up, but they do so sooner on the 2.8.

Canon 28/3.5:

Canon 28/2.8:

The Nikkor is not so different. Resolution is closer to the 2.8 Canon, with maybe a little more contrast. I haven't used it much (I just got it) but the corners seem a little sharper at wide apertures than either Canons. There's a bit of vignette as well, unsurprisingly. One downside if you plan to use filters is that the Nikkor needs 34.5mm, while the Canons use more common 34 and 40mm filters respectively.

Nikkor 28/3.5:

To me, it was less the optical characteristics and more the ergonomics in conjunction with the camera I'm using the lens on. The Canon 2.8 works better on my larger Canon bodies, while the Canon 3.5 and especially the Nikkor are best matched to the smaller Barnack Leicas. If I had to choose one setup, it would be the Nikkor on a small LTM body (mine is living on a IIIa at the moment).

EDIT: All the photos are on HP5+ in Caffenol.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 12-23-2017   #4
View Range

The last version of the Canon 28mm f3.5 lens was black and chrome. It is a very nice looking lens.

Old 12-23-2017   #5
splitimageview

The Nikkor can use the common A36 filters. 34.5mm are super scarce.

Old 12-23-2017   #6
Huss

I gotta ask, why not the CV 28 3.5 ltm?

Old 12-23-2017   #7
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Ha, I wish! But those lenses have gotten to expensive... Anyone that can offer me one for less than USD 450, I'm interested! (But slim chance this is going to happen...)

I have looked at the Nikkor 28mm (I own the 35mm 2.5 and they would be a nice set together) but those too are over my budget...
Trying to complete my only Leica LTM set here with a bit of Christmas money I managed to keep apart

flickr | instagram |

Old 12-23-2017   #8
02Pilot
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannielscom View Post
I have looked at the Nikkor 28mm (I own the 35mm 2.5 and they would be a nice set together) but those too are over my budget...
Normally they are priced somewhat higher than the Canons, though I've seen the Canon 2.8 sell up in the mid-$400s, which is about where the Nikkors usually are. I got lucky with one that was significantly discounted due to a missing infinity lock. I replaced it with a spare (from a Canon lens, ironically) and put it into service. Bargains can be found.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Old 12-23-2017   #9
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
Normally they are priced somewhat higher than the Canons, though I've seen the Canon 2.8 sell up in the mid-$400s, which is about where the Nikkors usually are. I got lucky with one that was significantly discounted due to a missing infinity lock. I replaced it with a spare (from a Canon lens, ironically) and put it into service. Bargains can be found.
Ha, that one was at KEH? I saw that too but customs and shipping soured the deal for me...

flickr | instagram |

Old 12-23-2017   #10
fotomeow
name under my name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Agreed. Iíve never owned the lens myself but Iíve seen the results on the web (quite good) and itís got a hell of the following on the web

Galleria RFF
[size=1]old stuff, new stuff, stuff that works and stuff that doesn't.

Old 12-23-2017   #11
fotomeow
name under my name

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
I had the Canon 28/3.5, and currently have the Canon 28/2.8 along with one not on your list, the Nikkor 28/3.5.

Both Canons have what I would consider medium contrast; certainly low in comparison to modern lenses, but not that low. Resolution on the 2.8 is somewhat better than the 3.5. They both vignette wide open, and the corners take a while to sharpen up, but they do so sooner on the 2.8

Canon 28/2.8:
My fave is the Canon 2.8. If the OP is referring to the Serenar from the 60’s, I can corroborate what others say about it being at least medium contrast, but lower color saturation. And it is quite sharp if not shot wide open all the time.

Eg, there is an inherently close relationship b/w Sharpness and Contrast.
It’s the border sharpness b/w objects in the frame that gives the illusion contrast.
You can’t get high contrast without high sharpness (saturation aside), and you can’t get low contrast without low sharpness (saturation aside).

Galleria RFF
[size=1]old stuff, new stuff, stuff that works and stuff that doesn't.

Old 12-23-2017   #12
02Pilot
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannielscom View Post
Ha, that one was at KEH? I saw that too but customs and shipping soured the deal for me...
Yep. I'd been eyeing it for a while, then a coupon came along (20% on lenses, IIRC) and I couldn't resist any longer. I already had the matching Nikkor finder.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Old 12-23-2017   #13
David Murphy

I own the Kobalux/Avenon 28mm F3.5 and I can recommend it. It clearly outperforms both the Canon lenses, although both the Canon's are respectable lenses especially considering their vintage, and very well made (I've owned and used them both)

The Canon 28/3.5 is a bargain as far as wide LTM lenses are concerned and it gives fairly modern looking results stopped down a tad.

Not doubt the CV 28/3.5 bests all of these, but its price is extreme in my view - too bad, it was once affordable.
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 12-23-2017   #14
B-9
Devin Bro

Ill say Avenon as well!

Nice and small. I see they are still around 400$USD+

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 12-23-2017   #15
splitimageview

The 28/3.5 Voigt is priced exactly where the free market puts it: supply/demand sets it. So it’s neither high nor low...

I’d wait for a deal to show on the Nikkor; I too already have the 35/3.5 and 2.5 and filters.

Old 12-24-2017   #16
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
The 28/3.5 Voigt is priced exactly where the free market puts it: supply/demand sets it. So itís neither high nor low...
It's high based on historical prices for the lens.

Old 12-24-2017   #17
raid
Dad Photographer

I now have the Kobalux 28/3.5. I sold the Canon 28/3.5. I have also a Rokinon M 28/2.8.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 12-24-2017   #18
splitimageview

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
It's high based on historical prices for the lens.
One on Ebay now for 428 shipped. Recent sales are somewhat higher

Old 12-24-2017   #19
splitimageview

Even better snap up the ones that just got listed here.

Oops, false alarm. Not 28.

Old 12-24-2017   #20
ZivcoPhoto

I bought my 28mm F3.5 black Voigtlander 11 or 12 years ago, it's a perfect lens to use on IIIF but also works swell on M8. I recommend this choice if you can find one. I've never understood why they quit making this one. A modern rendition from a lens with excellent performance.

Old 12-24-2017   #21
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZivcoPhoto View Post
I bought my 28mm F3.5 black Voigtlander 11 or 12 years ago, it's a perfect lens to use on IIIF but also works swell on M8. I recommend this choice if you can find one. I've never understood why they quit making this one. A modern rendition from a lens with excellent performance.
Same here. I'm sure there is a market for it for many years to come. Part of what the sellers on eBay etc are making could have ended up in mr. Kobayashi's pockets and propel the Cosina company forward...

flickr | instagram |

Old 12-24-2017   #22
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
One on Ebay now for 428 shipped. Recent sales are somewhat higher
$428 seems good to me right now. I've paid as low as $275 and as high as $500 for this lens over a 5 year period (that period ending over 5 years ago).

Old 12-24-2017   #23
Deardorff38

In a forum that tosses out random purchases of M9s & 10s....Noctiluxes & Summiluxes....the CV 28 3.5 is a bargain even though it costs more than when it first came out. But that's true of lots of Leicas

Old 12-24-2017   #24
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

I've been using the Canon 28/2.8 for a while now. Great little lens. I still don't get along with the focal length, and will probably be selling it. But it's performed very well.

---
My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 02-12-2018   #25
Deardorff38

The Avenon has a 43.5 mm filter size and is thin but substantially larger than the CV 28 3.5 with a 39mm filter size

Old 02-16-2018   #26
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Happily took the 4mm added diameter to save on the length of the lens, very happy with my flat black Avenon MC, it's just so nice and small and has a very short focus throw.

flickr | instagram |

Old 02-16-2018   #27
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I had Avenon first as my first 28mm RF lens. Nothing special lens, not exactly cheap. Huge original VF.

I had Orion-15 which skyrocketed in price by now. In 2017 I was still able to buy one, not KMZ under 200$. Never made optics perfectly clean, but with hood added it was OK.

Canon 28 3.5 and 2.8 is what GW used. I have seen his large prints from these lenses. It is not lens problem, but printer problem to add enough contrast. They were fine lenses in sixties, seventies, but I skipped on them due to their optics condition in our time.

For reasonable price, I was able to get 28 1.9 Ultron ASPH.

In original box, with original caps, hood and even focus lever was included. It is sharp wide open, no focus shifts. And it is made well. Not made in garage Avenon for sure. The only downside is the size, but I'm getting used to it. Here is no lens this fast and this good for this price. And it is fast 28mm lens by all means.
I used it on M-E, M4-2 and it is currently on Zorki.

On M-E:

On M4-2:

Old 02-16-2018   #28
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Range View Post
The last version of the Canon 28mm f3.5 lens was black and chrome. It is a very nice looking lens.
I bought my black version Canon 28/3.5 for $450.00. Came with caps and case.

I like the ergonomics of the black version over the early chrome versions. It is slightly bigger, but still a pancake lens. The corners display that retro softness at open apertures for sure, but I love the rendering.

Really a great lens for LTM because of its compact size.

Cal

Cv 28
Old 02-21-2018   #29
Deardorff38

Cv 28

I had a mint cv 28.....that I used on my MP...but i've never really cared for the 28 focal length, being more of a 21/35 guy.So i sold the CV and that was no big deal....until i began searching for a small go-anywhere camera. I'd always lusted after a iiig, but a few weeks ago in Tokyo it came down to a handful of cameras and a black paint iii (D) 1934. I checked out an Avenon, and although i liked the finger notch....the 43.5mm was a little big on that body. So i snagged another 28 3.5 CV. The CV 28 is a fine match for the tiny D....also scored the tiny mini finder. The whole set-up is such a delight that i'm learning to live with the 28 focal length....& the $450-$499 range.... the CV 28 is a great match with the smaller Leica ii & iii. For me it's also a bonus that the skopar 50 2.5 and the 35 2.8 summaron that i use on my MP also fit the iii. After many decades of using M Leicas....the smaller LTM Leicas are a joy. With Tri-X & the hyperfocal distance set...it's a wonderful point & shoot.

Old 02-21-2018   #30
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deardorff38 View Post
... After many decades of using M Leicas....the smaller LTM Leicas are a joy. With Tri-X & the hyperfocal distance set...it's a wonderful point & shoot.

LTM lenses, wide angles
by Johan Niels Kuiper, on Flickr

Wrong hood for the 21mm but the only one I could find. Has a cracked 21mm Contaflex finder to use with it but that would not have been the highlight of the picture so I left it out
The 28mm and 35mm lenses on the Leica II make it such a nice and nifty little kit... Really love them.

flickr | instagram |

Old 02-21-2018   #31
Deardorff38

Wonderful set-up J!

Old 02-22-2018   #32
Deardorff38

https://www.instagram.com/p/BfgerXwA...ken-by=mtngreg

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bfgen6CA...ken-by=mtngreg

the set-up with CV 28mm f3.5