My Alma Mater now has HUGE Leica Collection
Old 05-09-2016   #1
Timmyjoe

My Alma Mater now has HUGE Leica Collection

Just got a notice from my Alma Mater, Miami University in Oxford, Ohio (USA). Seems an architect from Cincinnati, and avid Leica collector, just donated his entire collection (over 1200 pieces) to the school. 130 pieces will be on permanent display in the Art Museum, and I guess the rest will be rotated through.

The collection includes design prototypes, special purpose and military cameras, gold plated commemoratives, and different accessories. One of the largest collections in the world, and the most complete privately assembled collection in the States.

I get by there about once a year or so, guess I'll have to stop by the Art Museum next time I'm in town.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 05-09-2016   #2
Huss

For a second I thought you went to THM in Wetzlar.

https://www.thm.de/site/

Old 05-09-2016   #3
bobkonos

Here is more info: http://miamioh.edu/cca/art-museum/co...ion/index.html

My b&w Flickr

My color Flickr

Mechanical cameras and lenses

Old 05-09-2016   #4
View Range

Is this in addition to the previous Charles M Messer donation? It sounds suspiciously like what they already have. There has been a small display (130 pieces or 10%) in the Art Museum for the past several years, but most of the Leica collection is in storage. So essentially the equipment is / will be in a mausoleum, not a museum for the enjoyment of the public. But museums are like that. They want to hoard and not display. Another example is the Charles Bingham Leica and Mead Kibby Zeiss collections at the California Museum of Photography; almost nothing is displayed at the museum. But the Smithsonian leads the way with the world's largest camera collection, 99.99% in storage.

Old 05-09-2016   #5
Timmyjoe

Well, what I got from them today says 130 pieces are on permanent display in the art museum, so I would assume they are talking about the same collection you referred to. Not sure why they are talking it up now if they've had it for several years.

Last time I was at the Art Museum on campus was third years ago, and I'm not sure it is even the same building anymore. One of the drawbacks of that campus is they have a history of destroying their historic/landmark buildings. Always building NEW, NEW, NEW.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 05-09-2016   #6
Vickko

wow, there are two Luxus'es in the collection. Magnificent

35mm (film and digital)
Film only for 6x6cm, 6x9cm & 4x5in
BW darkroom to 4x5in

Old 05-10-2016   #7
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

That's what I like about the Shuttleworth Collection, people think it's an aviation museum but it isn't. Instead of a lot of dead, stuffed and mounted aircraft they have real ones that fly and they put on displays that us riff-raff can go to...

I know of museums that might offer a look at their photocopy if you ask and then do everything to avoid letting you see the original. Yet one of my best discoveries was made when I realised (from seeing the original) that the sailors had written a note on the private official note paper of the CO. Suggesting - as I'd suspected - that something unofficial was being done and that they were in his office plotting with him...

FWIW, the sailors were there for training but the CO had his own agenda and was playing his cards very close to his chest. The result was quite spectacular but you wouldn't have guessed if was done using Army and Navy resources.

Regards, David

PS Just looked, that's not the real Oxford, it seems to be an American clone...

Old 05-10-2016   #8
View Range

The Messer collection at Miami University was totally in storage for a number of years. The 130 pieces were then exhibited in the new Art Museum, starting maybe five years ago. I went well out of my way to view the collection; Oxford, OH, is not easy to get to from some Interstates. (David, no concerns. Oxford, OH, will not be confused with the real Oxford any time soon. "Clone" is too strong a word.) The presentation was underwhelming.

About 10 years ago I asked the Smithsonian if I could have access to their catalog of photographic equipment. They said they didn't have a catalog, but if I would enquire about any specific camera, they would see if they had one. I think since then they have done some cataloging work, but there is clearly no effort to make anything accessible.

It is interesting that the aviation community works very hard to keep the old aircraft flying.

Old 05-10-2016   #9
raid
Dad Photographer

I donated my WWII 3D camera to the Pensacola Naval Aviation Museum mainly because they explained to me that they wanted to display the camera in a prominent exhibit. Some people cautioned me from sending the camera to the Smithsonian because they have millions of items in storage,

http://raid.smugmug.com/