Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Shots with Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 Ai-S
Old 05-27-2015   #1
wilonstott
Wil O.

Shots with Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 Ai-S

I just picked up this lens for use with my FE2.

I've just put a roll of Provia 100f through it, and I'm waiting to get them back.

In the mean time, I'd love to see some examples or hear some thoughts about this lens.

Thanks in advance,

-Wil

Old 05-27-2015   #2
View Range

The SLR lens is essentially identical to the RF lens. Designed in 1953, it helped Nikon into prominence. It is legendary and sold in huge numbers. Greater flexibility from other lenses has reduced its use today. Search for and check out the following post-thread for images.

"Post your Nikkor 10.5cm 2.5 PC pics"

Old 05-27-2015   #3
wilonstott
Wil O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Range View Post
The SLR lens is essentially identical to the RF lens. Designed in 1953, it helped Nikon into prominence. It is legendary and sold in huge numbers. Greater flexibility from other lenses has reduced its use today. Search for and check out the following post-thread for images.

Now I was under the impression that the earlier lens is a Sonnar design and the later one (like mine) is a Gauss design. They'll render a bit differently, yes?

Old 05-27-2015   #4
RObert Budding

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilonstott View Post
I just picked up this lens for use with my FE2.

I've just put a roll of Provia 100f through it, and I'm waiting to get them back.

In the mean time, I'd love to see some examples or hear some thoughts about this lens.

Thanks in advance,

-Wil
Here's a shot taken on a Nikon D700.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg i-2ccgM9b-L.jpg (41.8 KB, 61 views)

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 05-27-2015   #5
wilonstott
Wil O.

Beautiful shot, Robert. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-27-2015   #6
Shac

Quote:
The SLR lens is essentially identical to the RF lens. Designed in 1953, it helped Nikon into prominence.
Actually the Ai-S version is not identical - The one you refer you (the first version) was a Sonnar design and the second (Ai-S and Ai version was a Gauss formula.
The Gauss version is better corrected for close-range images.
But as you say whatever version is a great lens
105 Sonnar version

105 Gauss version

Old 05-27-2015   #7
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shac View Post
Actually the Ai-S version is not identical - The one you refer you (the first version) was a Sonnar design and the second (Ai-S and Ai version was a Gauss formula.
The K version (pre AI rubberized barrel) is Gauss as well - the change happened some time before the switch to K, so there even are some aluminium barrel Gauss ones. In all, more than half the Non-AI 105mm SLR Nikkors are Gauss types.

The Gauss type is the famous one - at the time of its introduction it was tested to be the highest resolution 35mm lens.

Old 05-27-2015   #8
Shac

Sevo true - I stand corrected. The Gauss came in first before the change to Ai in 1971 according to Roland Virk

Old 05-27-2015   #9
x-ray

Quote:

The First non AI version was the same as the LTM version but in the 70's the formuls changed. Both versions are great but the newer version is exceptional. I own both in Nikon mount and the rear element is the way to tell the difference. One is larger tha the other but not having them I front of me I don't remember which has the larger rear element.

I'm a huge fan of the 105 and have the LTM version as well.

Old 05-27-2015   #10
View Range

Peter Braczko states there was a design change in 1973, starting with S/N 500001. Has anyone found a optical cross section of the second version?

The official Nikon discussion is interesting. http://nikkor.com/story/0045/

Old 05-27-2015   #11
View Range

MIR shows the two designs.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...or/105mm25.htm

Old 05-27-2015   #12
x-ray

This is one of my favorite Nikkor lenses since the 60's. The focal length is just right. IMO it's one of Nikons best primes.

Old 05-27-2015   #13
Shac

The second (Gauss) has the larger rear element - but of course that's a relative statement and you'd need both side by side to be sure The difference shows well in the MIR page that View Range showed.

Old 05-27-2015   #14
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

According to the Nikon lens serials database, lenses up to 286276 (1971) had the old five element, three groups design, while all lenses with a serial starting with a 4 or higher are the five element four group Gauss type.

Old 05-27-2015   #15
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Now I was under the impression that the earlier lens is a Sonnar design and the later one (like mine) is a Gauss design. They'll render a bit differently, yes?
Yes, the two lenses should render a bit differently. The later Gauss formula lens was specifically designed for smoother OOF rendering in an attempt to counter the reputation that Nikkor lenses had at the time for poor bokeh.

Sonnar optical formula:

Gauss optical formula:

Found here.

Old 05-27-2015   #16
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

Mine would be the "K" version but upgraded with the newer style Ai ring...Serial #685374...
A very nice little lens that needs to be used more often...
pf

Old 05-28-2015   #17
Wulfthari

Another lens to be added to things to buy for My F2s, even if usually I prefer the 85 mm length, can this one be used as a normal lens replacement like the 85/1.8?
Zorki 4K,5,6, Leningrad,Industar 61LD 1:2.8/55,Orion 15 1:5,6/28,Jupiter 8 1:2.0/50,Jupiter 9 1:2.0/85,Jupiter 11 1:4/135,Jupiter 12 1:2.8/35

Old 05-28-2015   #18
peterm1

I have long had a lovely almost mint sonnar version and not too long ago picked up a cheap but also very good condition first model Gauss version of the lens. The price was low because it needed conversion to AI specification. However I can do that myself and recently did so. I must get them both out and do some comparison shots at the same apertures. I have always loved the rendering of the sonnar one and would like to see how the later one performs by comparison. If it comes to that I also have a 105mm f4 micro and 135mm f2.8 and should compare all of them. I will get back to you.

I must take a small issue with jonmanjiro though - I have never heard that the later 105mm was developed because the sonnar one had inadequate bokeh. In fact sonnars in general are well for the quality of bokeh and for their lovely "soft/sharp" rendering of in focus areas). I have read on a number of occasions the new lens design was adopted because the use of this focal length lens changed over time. In the early days longer lenses were used for long distance shots as you might expect. But this focal length Nikkor was one that came to be adopted more for portrait work. Gauss lenses were regarded as being better optimized for this work which usually takes place at much closer range. Hence the decision to redesign.

BTW the famous "Afghanistan girl" photo by Steve McCurry was taken with the later AI-s version of this lens. Nothing to complain about there in terms of performance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghan_Girl

Old 05-28-2015   #19
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
I must take a small issue with jonmanjiro though - I have never heard that the later 105mm was developed because the sonnar one had inadequate bokeh. In fact sonnars in general are well for the quality of bokeh and for their lovely "soft/sharp" rendering of in focus areas). I have read on a number of occasions the new lens design was adopted because the use of this focal length lens changed over time. In the early days longer lenses were used for long distance shots as you might expect. But this focal length Nikkor was one that came to be adopted more for portrait work. Gauss lenses were regarded as being better optimized for this work which usually takes place at much closer range. Hence the decision to redesign.
I was actually just paraphrasing Nikon's own website, and it wasn't so much the previous sonnar version of the 105/2.5 that had a reputation for bad bokeh, but Nikkor lenses in general. Particularly in Japan I've quoted Nikon's website below (taken from here). Its a poor translation though, and the original Japanese version here makes more sense.

Quote:
An anecdote back from the era of the Nikkor Auto lenses. There was a lens that delivered incredibly sharp resolution, but the defocus image (blur) was not so good. particular lens branded the whole Nikkor Auto family with a reputation of having bad defocus images, especially in Japan.
As the Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 demonstrates, however, at the same time Nippon Kogaku K.K. was also making lenses offering the perfect combination of defocus image, tonal rendition and gradation.

Old 05-28-2015   #20
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
I was actually just paraphrasing Nikon's own website, and it wasn't so much the previous sonnar version of the 105/2.5 that had a reputation for bad bokeh, but Nikkor lenses in general. Particularly in Japan I've quoted Nikon's website below (taken from here). Its a poor translation though, and the original Japanese version here makes more sense.
I am OK with the qute from the Nikon site - it qualifies appropriately the statement seeming to exclude the 105mm from criticism regarding bokeh.

cheers

Old 05-28-2015   #21
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
I am OK with the qute from the Nikon site - it qualifies appropriately the statement seeming to exclude the 105mm from criticism regarding bokeh.

cheers
That comment is a specific reference to the Gauss formula 105mm F2.5 though, not the previous Sonnar formula lens. Nikon's website coyly doesn't state which particular Nikkors where known for bad bokeh, just that the reputation of those lenses affected the reputation of the entire range of Nikkor lenses. I'll quit rambling on now and post a photo taken with my Ai-S 105mm F2.5!

by Jon, on Flickr

Old 05-28-2015   #22
Highway 61
Revisited

The later Gauss version really has a much nicer bokeh than the first Sonnar version.

Although not being a bokeh nut I was very surprised with what the bokeh of the Sonnar version looked like. I was expecting something very smooth but I saw the contrary.

So the later Ai-S version combines all the advantages IMO (but for a build quality which is a bit lesser than the Ai version because of some play in the focus and general assembly due to some polycarbonate inside).

Old 05-28-2015   #23
Sparrow

--- ---
I don't think any of them will spoil an otherwise decent photo myself ... this is with the ais lens ...

Alice Getting Bored, Howdenbrook par Sparrow ... Stewart Mcbride, on ipernity

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 05-28-2015   #24
wilonstott
Wil O.

Quote:
That comment is a specific reference to the Gauss formula 105mm F2.5 though, not the previous Sonnar formula lens. Nikon's website coyly doesn't state which particular Nikkors where known for bad bokeh, just that the reputation of those lenses affected the reputation of the entire range of Nikkor lenses. I'll quit rambling on now and post a photo taken with my Ai-S 105mm F2.5!

by Jon, on Flickr
Cool shot.

What's the breakdown on this--tripod mounted at about a 30th or 15th?

Also, is that film or digital?

Old 05-28-2015   #25
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Cool shot.

What's the breakdown on this--tripod mounted at about a 30th or 15th?

Also, is that film or digital?
Thanks! This is digital. It was taken using a D700 on a tripod with a shutter speed of 1 second to catch motion blur of the branches and people.

Old 05-28-2015   #26
kxl
Social Documentary

Quote:

by Jon, on Flickr
Jon - is that the promenade at Sumida River Park in Asakusa?

-Keith

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 05-28-2015   #27
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxl View Post
Jon - is that the promenade at Sumida River Park in Asakusa?

-Keith
Hi Keith, no this by the river near my apartment in Yokohama. It's a popular local cherry blossom spot.

Old 06-21-2015   #28
wilonstott
Wil O.

Well, I got my first stuff back that I shot with this lens, and I like it quite a bit. I believe the hype. It's the longest lens I own, and I'm still getting comfortable with the focal length.

Here's a few. All are Provia 100f with an FE2.

Thanks for all the previous info, and please continue to share examples of shots with this lens.

Old 06-21-2015   #29
TennesseJones

Nikkor 105 2.5 ai-s, D610
This is a shot we used in 'McQueen', the play, at St James Theatre in London.

Old 06-21-2015   #30
Stuart John

Here is one from my 105 f2.5 sonnar version.

Canonet QL17, Canonet 28, Zorki C

Old 06-21-2015   #31
Ronald M

Quote:
Yes, the two lenses should render a bit differently. The later Gauss formula lens was specifically designed for smoother OOF rendering in an attempt to counter the reputation that Nikkor lenses had at the time for poor bokeh.

Sonnar optical formula:

Gauss optical formula:

Found here.
The rear element of version two almost fills the bayonet opening. The Sonar is half that size, a dime or less.

The first thing I noticed is near minimum focus distance, the Sonnar is not as sharp at 2.8. Stopped down, both are the same.

Old 06-21-2015   #32
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Nikkor 105/2.5 ... a delightful lens. I owned an early pre-AI version as well as the last AI-S version. Both produced beautiful results.

I'd buy another, now that I have the F6, but I've become hooked on the Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8 AI-S. It renders a little differently, no less sweetly, and is still an extraordinary performer with macro focusing as a bonus. It is a bit larger and heavier, courtesy of the macro focusing mount.

G

Old 06-21-2015   #33
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
This is one of my favorite Nikkor lenses since the 60's. The focal length is just right. IMO it's one of Nikons best primes.
100% totally agree. Just sharp as a tack throughout.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 06-21-2015   #34
Nokton48

The Nikkor 105mm lens is a legendary lens. THE lens for fashion and beauty head shots. Evidence of this is above ^^. I've owned both versions of the early lenses, and the AI-S, as well. They all have their merits

Nowadays I'm more of a Minolta guy, the 100mm F2.5 MC Rokkor holds it's own against any Nikkor. And the 100mm F3.5 MD Macro can hold it's own against the 105 Micro Nikkor, which I have also owned.

Whatever you decide to go with, just enjoy the lens.

Old 06-21-2015   #35
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Nowadays I'm more of a Minolta guy, the 100mm F2.5 MC Rokkor holds it's own against any Nikkor. And the 100mm F3.5 MD Macro can hold it's own against the 105 Micro Nikkor, which I have also owned.
Why was it necessary to say that in a thread about the Nikkor 105mm lenses? I'm enthused by your infatuation. But no matter how good your Minolta lenses are, they're not going to fit on my Nikon bodies. That makes them not worth much to me at all.

G

Old 06-22-2015   #36
Noserider

I can assure you from my repair and tune of a few 105's all versions that the Ai version has not a bit of polycarbonate internally. It DOES have a few internal construction details that are common to the mid-length changes found in Ai spec, and many of those 'inconsistencies' were changed in the Ai-S version, which for this reason I recommend the Ai-S version over the Ai version. Both are good but the Ai version has a tendency to be quite stiff over time, and while a competent CLA will equalize it for the price and relative availability I suggest the Ai-S. unless the Ai version is dramatically low (and usually the reason the price is low is due to that stiff focus).
Nikon was making changes to their lens manufacturing process specifically in cost and volume and the Ai spec while somewhat simplifying (rubber grips instead of knurled) the internal complexity (and the problems it made) IMO warranted the change to Ai-S.
I knew of a few older shooters who had very strong feelings that the older F Non Ai lenses were a much higher level of internal quality and that specifically the Ai versions were 'junk'. While I never had such thoughts about the junk status of Ai after repairing and tuning many lenses from all the eras the old timer's were correct about the F series they are very well built. The Ai-S series has more stamped parts that are meant to be replaced rather than renewed. The Ai series seemed to have more modular constructions but with added complexity especially in the final adjustments which were then locked solid into place with TIGHT screws and thread sealer.

Old 06-22-2015   #37
ferider

Quote:
I don't think that's correct.

The 10.5cm Sonnar was intentionally undercorrected for spherical aberration giving it great bokeh for portraits, but making it a low resolution lens at infinity for any f-stop below f8. See also http://www.nikkor.com/story/0045.

The later Gauss version increases infinity resolution wide open.

Roland.

PS: The 8.5cm has busy bokeh as you say (but is quite sharp even wide open, at all distances). Because the 8.5cm and 10.5cm are so different, I'm keeping both. My 10.5cm Sonnar is probably the best bokeh lens I own.

Old 06-22-2015   #38
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
I don't think that's correct.
I was just paraphrasing Nikon's own website, Roland. More details in my subsequent comments (to the one you quoted) in this thread.

Old 06-22-2015   #39
ferider

Quote:
I was just paraphrasing Nikon's own website, Roland. More details in my subsequent comments (to the one you quoted) in this thread.
Cool, Jon.

When I got my 240, I systematically tested all my lenses. And was surprised how "soft" the 10.5cm was at infinity (compared to the 8.5cm) - until then I only had found one reference to the same behavior by another user. I then researched it a bit more systematically. I know you know your Nikkors .... my post is more directed at other users (for example post #22). Basically, the 10.5cm was designed as a portrait lens, a "bokeh machine" with beautiful, painterly blotched background, while the 8.5cm was more general purpose (its resolution convinced DDD to switch to Nikkors, etc). My only other lens that renders backgrounds like the 10.5cm is the 75 Summilux.