M42 lenses on Leica body?
Old 11-19-2005   #1
Photon-hunter

M42 lenses on Leica body?

Hi everyone...

Well I think the title leaves it quite clear...I have some M42 lenses Ive been using with my 20D via m-42-EOS adapter. I have just purchased a Leica M7 (can U believe it!!! So many years of Leica-lust and its finally arriving next week...!!!!).

I wonder if theres any adapters that can enable me to use the m42 lenses on my Leica...

Thanks in advance for your kind replies.

All the best, Erik.

Old 11-19-2005   #2
GeneW

Cameraquest lists some that might work: http://www.cameraquest.com/adaptnew.htm

Gene

Old 11-19-2005   #3
bmattock

Erik,

Yes, it can be done. No, you probably don't want to do it.

You'd need two adapters. M42 to M39 (not the more common M39-M42). Then you'd need a M39 to M-Mount adapter (common). You'd still be stuck with scale focusing (guessing the distance and setting the focus manually on your lens), and the larger barrel of the M42 lens might or might not block your viewfinder on your M7.

If you have an ultra-wide M42 lens, it might be worth doing, since the extreme DOF of a very wide lens would tend to make up for focusing errors, but for normal ranges, I think you'd be much happier with Leica or Canon screw-mount or M-Mount lenses made for that sort of camera, rather than trying to make M42 lense serve.

An M7 is a lovely camera - be a shame to waste a good part of its capabilities by using non-rangefinder-coupled lenses on it.

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Old 11-19-2005   #4
photodog

Yes it can be done. May not be cost effective or practical but it's your decision. Cameraquest has an adapter for $149. You also can combine the following adapters: a Leica screw to M adapter, one Canon lens mount converter B and a Canon lens mount converter P. The Canon B converter allows you to mount a Canon FL or FD lens on a Leica screw mount camera and the P converter adapts a Pentax 42mm lens to a Canon FD/FL mount. Total cost is about $120. The B converter is the most difficult to find but there's one on the auction site now for $39.

Attached is a photo of my combo of a Canon FD lens on a Leica M.

Old 11-19-2005   #5
Graybeard
Longtime IIIf User

I'm using one that I machined myself; it actually works quite well for lenses that can be focused using the engraved scale. A simple job if you have access to a lathe that can cut both metric and English threads.

I shoot a 24mm Soligor and an 18mm Russian fisheye using this adapter on Barnack Leicas with no problems.

Old 11-19-2005   #6
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

The price of admission seems very high.
For that kind of money you could buy a really nice M42 SLR body.
Sure, it wouldn't be a Leica, but at least it would be fully functional...

"Excelsior, you fathead!"
-Chris-

Old 11-19-2005   #7
Scarpia

Believe it or not a new 42mm to LSM mount showed up on Ebay several months ago from a vendor in Hong Kong. I believe I paid under $20.00 plus about $5.00 shipping. After about ten days it arrived. Guess what! It is a milimeter or two too short, careless machining. I made a circle out of some wire solder and placed it in the 42mm end of the mount. I guessed right and now it focusses properly. I have a Zorki 6 with a broken shutter and a snap in focussing screen from I don't know how long ago and by focussing on an object at a known distance and looking at the screen through a magnifier I can judge if the focus is correct. I should add that in addition to being a milimeter or two off spec it is also rather roughly machined. I also have a Tamron T to LSM adapter bought used at B&H. It functions perfectly. Of course you have to be good at scale focussing. I know I have been at RFF too long (other thread) because I have never used either to take an actual photo.
Kurt M.

Old 11-19-2005   #8
RML
Just live it.

I got one of the M42-LTM adapters from CameraQuest. Coupled with a M-LTM adapter from Merkle Camera and now I can use my 30mm Meyer Optik lens. Lovely little lens with nice colour rendition.

A few months ago I go a 16mm Zenitar fish-eye as well. Can't recommend using that one on a RF camera, though. Getting in the picture what you want where you want it, is a hit-and-miss affair. DOF is huge, of course, but no guarantee for a good shot.

Join the Rangefinder Blog/Site Ring.

Old 11-20-2005   #9
Photon-hunter

Thanks for all your kind answers!!

Well I got 50 Summicron, 90 Elmarit and CV 35 Color Skopar with my new M7, so I was planning on using ,my Carls zeiss Jena 135 3,5 (a lense I particularly like) on my new camera, but it seems it might not be such a good idea after all...I supose the fact that it is a tele-lens (and being 135 the practicall limit fot RF focusing) makes it even more complicated...

Old 11-20-2005   #10
dll927

It strikes me that there are two answers here:

1) Considering what he spent for an M7 and three lenses, $149 for an adapter would be peanuts.

2) Given what an M7 is, stick with what was made for it. Anything else is experimenting.

Old 11-21-2005   #11
Photon-hunter

Well...if it wasnt all about experimentation I wouldnt be using M42 lenses in a 20D (with great results, by the way). I enjoy this kind of stuff...Regarding the money, It took me a great amount of effort (and time)to put together the money necesary for this purchase, ans as in the last minute I changed that CV for the 35 Summicron, I now have the set of my dreams and I am officially BROKE!! So forget about purchasing another lense, Ill have to stick with what Ive got (hard,eh??)

Thanks for the answers one again and will be posting to share my hapyness once my camera arrives...

Good light to u all.

Erik.

Old 11-21-2005   #12
Graybeard
Longtime IIIf User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RML
I got one of the M42-LTM adapters from CameraQuest. Coupled with a M-LTM adapter from Merkle Camera and now I can use my 30mm Meyer Optik lens. Lovely little lens with nice colour rendition.

A few months ago I go a 16mm Zenitar fish-eye as well. Can't recommend using that one on a RF camera, though. Getting in the picture what you want where you want it, is a hit-and-miss affair. DOF is huge, of course, but no guarantee for a good shot.

I take it that you need a viewfinder for the Zenitar when using it on your Leica.

I'm using a fisheye viewer of the type often installed in an apartment door to allow one to see a visitor without opening the door. I put the Zenitar on a Pentax to determine the actual field of view then masked the lens on my door viewer with tape to "calibrate "it. This is a very inexpensive way to obtained a fisheye viewer; mine cost about the same as a roll of film.

Old 11-21-2005   #13
RML
Just live it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard
I take it that you need a viewfinder for the Zenitar when using it on your Leica.

I'm using a fisheye viewer of the type often installed in an apartment door to allow one to see a visitor without opening the door. I put the Zenitar on a Pentax to determine the actual field of view then masked the lens on my door viewer with tape to "calibrate "it. This is a very inexpensive way to obtained a fisheye viewer; mine cost about the same as a roll of film.
Graybeard, I guess you're right. But even with my external 25mm VF it's damn difficult to appreciate what will be in the "centre of attention". The DOF is so huge that selective focus is impossible. VOF is also enormous and everything but the closest items look teenytiny. I have to think hard about how to use this lens. It's definitely not a use-every-day lens.

Join the Rangefinder Blog/Site Ring.

Old 11-21-2005   #14
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RML
Graybeard, I guess you're right. But even with my external 25mm VF it's damn difficult to appreciate what will be in the "centre of attention". The DOF is so huge that selective focus is impossible. VOF is also enormous and everything but the closest items look teenytiny. I have to think hard about how to use this lens. It's definitely not a use-every-day lens.
I do feel for you, I'm always struggling with WA myself.... It is a whole different photographic world. Give me a 50 mm anytime So why do I keep trying to use my 21 Must be some form of masochism... 15 or 16 mm must be far worse

jaapvphotography

Old 11-21-2005   #15
zuikologist

SRB Film in the UK produce a LTM/M42 mount adaptor for about 20 ($35). They have a good reputation and have been around for a long time.

http://www.srbfilm.co.uk/index1.html

Old 06-19-2018   #16
glmm2001

Sorry to revive this thread, but I’m also new to Leica and I’ve just purchased a M5. I have a Carl Zeiss Jena M42 thread objective (Carl Zeiss Jena Pancolar auto 1:1,8 / 50mm MC) and I was wondering if it would work with the M5 via this adapter http://sovietcamerastore.com/product...amera-adapter/

Thanks!

PS: this is also my first post here!

Old 06-19-2018   #17
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Main difference between RF lens and non RF lens on M body - RF focusing by camera or guess focus by DOF and distance scales on the lens.
With 50 1.8 it is not going to be accurate.

Get Jupiter-8 black lens and re-shim it for M5, it is under 50$ awesome lens and easy to re-shim.

Old 06-19-2018   #18
glmm2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Main difference between RF lens and non RF lens on M body - RF focusing by camera or guess focus by DOF and distance scales on the lens.
With 50 1.8 it is not going to be accurate.

Get Jupiter-8 black lens and re-shim it for M5, it is under 50$ awesome lens and easy to re-shim.
Thanks a lot! I also have an Industar 22 and a Industar 50 whixh came with two Zorkis I bought on ebay; I have been navigating through the forum and the adaptability of FSU glass to Leicas and this was another option to get lenses fast before I bought something better for the M5. While the Jupiter and the Industar 61 are discussed very often, the humble 50 seems to raise less interest. As I had the Carl Zeiss it was my first option

Old 06-19-2018   #19
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by glmm2001 View Post
...I was wondering if it would work with the M5 via this adapter http://sovietcamerastore.com/product...amera-adapter/

I might have to give that adapter a try. I have used 28mm and 35mm M42 lenses on my CL but to do so has required using two adapters. Each adapter introduces a certain amount of error to the distance scale (typical of adapters, they'll focus beyond infinity), so by using two of them there is a greater amount of guesswork. I make do by using only wide lenses, and stopping way down (like f/16).

Old 06-19-2018   #20
muser53
MUSER53

Photon Hunter,
Enjoy your new M7!

Old 06-19-2018   #21
rfaspen

You can use an adapter and mount the M42 lens on your M5. That will work. Focusing will be frustrating because the lens won't be coupled with the M5 rangefinder. I would pass on that idea myself. Now with an wide/ultra wide lens, its a different experience.

The suggestion to use FSU lenses is a good one. I occasionally use a Jupter 8 or Industar 22 lens on a Leica. I actually never did any re-shimming on those lenses and my results were fine on film. I did get my Jupiter-3 shimmed for Leica though. However I still struggle with the focus shift on that lens, so shimmed or not its an adventure using it.

Get a decent LTM -> M adapter that brings up 50mm framelines and start using your FSU lenses. Its generally a good investment to have a LTM to M adapter anyway because during your Leica adventure you are likely to encounter more LTM lenses. Canon, Minolta, FSU, Konica, Komura, Avenon, even Fuji and Olympus made LTM lenses and they're out there waiting to be discovered.

Old 06-19-2018   #22
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by muser53 View Post
Photon Hunter,
Enjoy your new M7!

I hope it worked out for him. He hasn't posted in nearly ten years!

Old 06-19-2018   #23
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

if you have one of the recent Leica digitals with live view
focusing SLR lenses could not be much easier
even easier than that if you add the digital visoflex

https://shop.cameraquest.com/slr-to-...lens-adapters/