Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Help / Feedback forum

Help / Feedback forum This area should address site improvements and help with the forum.

Old 09-04-2019   #41
Montag

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
By that logic, if you comment positively on one image are you rejecting all the other images you don't comment on?

Likewise, you don't need to click 'like' unless you feel compelled to...

Of course it's attention seeking. Why on earth would you share images on a public forum if you didn't want to draw attention to them?
Comment is what defines a forum, I'm OK with that.
I don't know what likes are.

I share images because I like making them and sometimes feel compelled to share them despite myself. I imagine other contributors might feel similar dualities within photography sometimes.

If you feel differently, OK, cool, ca va.

Old 09-04-2019   #42
sanmich

a like button in a discussion (like this one for instance) would work just like the well known:
"+1, 10 characters"

so why not?

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site

Old 09-05-2019   #43
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
Virtually every other forum I'm on has a like button. They work great. Why not RFF?

Jim B.
One of the best arguments against implementing the suggestion. Rangefinder Forum isn't every other forum. I find the combination of knowledge, experience and intelligence manifested by its members unique. A like button is a lazy and mediocre way of expressing an opinion. You like something? Don't like it? Make an effort and articulate your thoughts. No, it's not nearly as easy as clicking "like". But all the better for it. (When I say "you" and "your" above, it is in the general sense and not directed at you, Jim).

Old 09-05-2019   #44
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Virtually every other forum I'm on has a like button. They work great.
Errrr....Not. Have a look here: https://globalnews.ca/news/5201845/i...to-hide-likes/ From the article:

"Research shows that lengthy social media use can have negative implications on well-being. A recent report by the U.K.ís Royal Society for Public Health ranked Instagram as the worst app for young peopleís mental health, followed by Snapchat. That may be why Instagram is testing out hiding the ďlikeĒ count on the platform and encouraging users to focus on quality over quantity."

Old 09-05-2019   #45
Mute-on

I like to like. This doesn’t mean I do so easily or without sincerity. On the contrary.

If you don’t like to like, or would rather like by posting your like separately, you can already do that.

I support the ‘like’ button addition.

Old 09-05-2019   #46
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Stephen needs to decide whether this is worthwhile in my opinion.

Old 09-05-2019   #47
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Stephen needs to decide whether this is worthwhile in my opinion.
Yes, indeed. Otherwise it could go back and forth with no meaningful end in sight.

Mike

Old 09-05-2019   #48
doc68

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
[...]
There are also often posts which I think are great, but I don't have anything substantial to add, and I can't Like that post in to show my appreciation.
Same here, and it does not only apply to postings with images in them, but also to DIY solutions and other suggestions made.
It can lead to a degree of annoyance, having to scroll through tens of postings that don't contain much but an "I agree." or "Well done!" - some of them quoting more than necessary from the previous post.

Quote:
On the other hand, Likes might subtly change the way we interact on the forum.[...]
Also true.

I would have liked the post, not being entirely sure, if I added anything substantial to the thread...

doc.

Old 09-05-2019   #49
Out to Lunch

In that case, read the thread, again. Cheers, P

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #50
Photon42
burn the box

I like to like