Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

US Customs questions
Old 08-02-2017   #1
clicker

US Customs questions

Does anyone know how to calculate duty from Japan to California.?
Thanks

Old 08-02-2017   #2
enasniearth

I've never been charged a customs fee for items purchased from Japan
Shipped to the us

Old 08-02-2017   #3
Huss

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/programs-a...ing-duty-rates

https://www.goodada.com/us/customs-i...uty-calculator

Old 08-02-2017   #4
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The US doesn't charge import duties on camera equipment, no matter what the country of origin.

Old 08-02-2017   #5
splitimageview

Depends on what equipment.

But have them ship via EMS and there is almost no chance of duty even if the contents are technically dutiable.

Old 08-02-2017   #6
Frontman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
The US doesn't charge import duties on camera equipment, no matter what the country of origin.
Americans are lucky, no tariffs, no VAT on cameras, lenses, etc.

Old 08-02-2017   #7
x-ray

I've ordered many view lenses from Japan and never had any duties on them.

Old 08-03-2017   #8
splitimageview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontman View Post
Americans are lucky, no tariffs, no VAT on cameras, lenses, etc.
There is no VAT at all, but there *are* duties on *some* camera gear. Just not on most, and if it's shipped via post, it's almost never collected even if it should have been.

Old 08-03-2017   #9
View Range

I've had duty collected by UPS and Federal Express on equipment from Europe. I've never had duty collected on EMS packages. While there is no VAT, there is state sales tax, in some states, which by law is supposed to be reported by the buyer and paid on the state income tax return each year. The same is true on state-to-state purchases. There is really no way to enforce payment of the state sales tax.

Old 08-04-2017   #10
skucera

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Range View Post
I've had duty collected by UPS and Federal Express on equipment from Europe. I've never had duty collected on EMS packages. While there is no VAT, there is state sales tax, in some states, which by law is supposed to be reported by the buyer and paid on the state income tax return each year. The same is true on state-to-state purchases. There is really no way to enforce payment of the state sales tax.
I've never had tariffs collected by shippers on items purchased in either Europe or Asia, but then again I'm not wealthy enough to buy anything expensive enough to have an import duty. Likewise, I've never brought back enough from an international trip to require paying import duties upon re-entry to the US.

Sales taxes are a different matter in the US. All but five US states have sales taxes, and those sales taxes are collected by the vendor. They don't have to be reported on the buyer's state income tax forms, or at least not any that I've filled out, but then I've only lived in three states, Oregon, California, and Florida.

The US constitution prevents states from taxing purchases from across state lines. The only exception to that is that states can collect income tax on purchases where the seller has stores or offices on both the selling state and the buyer's home state, in which case the seller collects the sales tax and forwards it through their office in the buyer's state to the buyer's state's revenue office. Also, since I live in Oregon, I can file with the state of Washington for a card that allows me to not pay sales tax in Washington. My dad had that card, and my uncle (who lived across the Columbia River from Portland in Washington) was deeply envious.

Scott
1969 Canon New Canonet QL17-L
1976 Konica Autoreflex T3n
1977 Canon 110ED 20
1979 Minox 35 GL
1979 Olympus XA
1980 Pentax Auto 110
1987 Polaroid Spectra
1996 Canon EOS Elan IIe

Things thru the US Postal system don't get noticed
Old 08-04-2017   #11
alfredian

Things thru the US Postal system don't get noticed

I was told (personal conversation w/traveler) that as long as items come in-country & to destination via the US Postal system they are "ignored". Especially from CANADA (my frequent experiences). Another surmise is that "2nd hand" or "used" stuff is ignored. Stuff from non-business/non-commercial senders is also ignored. I tried to research the US Customs home site for guidance. Best I could see was 12 cents per hundred for shirts & blouses.

I think the cost-per-transaction is prohibitive/inefficient, at least for the US Govt. Think in terms of several tens of USD to process and deposit a payment, large or small. They are set up to deal with entire shipping containers of commercial cargo, or booze & chocolate in luggage. Reminds me of a story told to me by a long-time resident of Philadelphia, USA. Walked into a street corner "mom & pop" donut shop & bought a donut. They couldn't find the cash box - turns out the place was a cover for a bookie joint. They ended up giving him the donut. Go figyah! --alfredian