Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

cross head camera screws?
Old 05-12-2017   #1
integerspin

cross head camera screws?

I have to strip an Olympus and clearly the precision screwdrivers I have are not right. They are a cheap japanese set bought in the 70's and I guess they are JIS.
The screw slots are to narrow for a driver that looks the right sort of size for the cross, but I can use the next size down screw driver.
Is there a secret camera cross head screw standard, I say secret as I have googled it to death and not found anything.

Old 05-12-2017   #2
View Range

There are so many screw types and sizes. You need to hand file your screwdrivers to get perfect fit for the one you are trying to remove.

Old 05-12-2017   #3
Dwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by integerspin View Post
I have to strip an Olympus and clearly the precision screwdrivers I have are not right. They are a cheap japanese set bought in the 70's and I guess they are JIS. ...
That should be "aren't JIS". Your old set was likely made for the North American market and spec'd accordingly.

The Olympus camera is almost certainly built with JIS spec fasteners. The JIS Cross-point spec is quite different than the Phillips spec The JIS, and DIN, spec for slotted fasteners has thinner slots for any given slot diameter.

Old 05-12-2017   #4
Ronald M

My JIS drivers work on current Leica lens mounts & Nikon AI lens mounts which are very old
They look like phillips, but they are not.

Micro tools.com.

There are cross slot screws where one slot is bigger than the other. You can file down a small slotted screw driver and it may or may not work. If not, you will bugger the screw and then that is trouble.

Old 05-13-2017   #5
integerspin

I found another cross head drivers it fits the Oly baseplate screws perfectly.

What sizes do you have and what sizes are needed?

Old 05-15-2017   #6
oftheherd

This came up 3-5 years ago. I found a place in New Jersey, USA, but I don't recall the name. They had a small set of something like 5 or 7 cross-thread screw drivers that in fact seemed to work better on Japanese cameras. I have found that Phillips can usually be made to work with care, but JIS would be better. If you google "JIS screwdrivers", you should find some places.

Old 05-15-2017   #7
ColSebastianMoran
( IRL Richard Karash )

Amazon has JIS Screwdriver sets.

In Classifieds Now: Nothing.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.