Leica M-D in action
Old 04-28-2016   #1
Bruno Gracia

Leica M-D in action

http://blog.leica-camera.com/2016/04...the-leica-m-d/

Old 04-28-2016   #2
B-9
Devin Bro

Similar articles have been hitting facebook for a few weeks now.

One this morning even claimed a release price around 5600 USD.

We will see?

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 04-28-2016   #3
squirrel$$$bandit

I gotta admit, I don't understand these posts about not trusting Asians. What in the hell are you talking about? It's coming off as racist, frankly.

Old 04-28-2016   #4
35photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
I gotta admit, I don't understand these posts about not trusting Asians. What in the hell are you talking about? It's coming off as racist, frankly.
Totally! Has nothing to do with race... Hipster/young professionals who have cash is more like it, Leica is smart at who this are targeting here no question.. They are clearing looking to expand the target demographic..

Old 04-28-2016   #5
jsrockit

You guys do realize that a lot of older, non-hipsters buy from Leica too... they are targeting people who want the closest thing to a film Leica (in digital) regardless of race, perceived hip-factor, age, etc. Of course, it IS targeting the loot!

Old 04-28-2016   #6
35photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
You guys do realize that a lot of older, non-hipsters buy from Leica too... they are targeting people who want the closest thing to a film Leica (in digital) regardless of race, perceived hip-factor, age, etc. Of course, it IS targeting the loot!
Oh Sure of course there are a lot of older hipsters, but in this video they posted clearly you see the the 1 older guy surrounded by 3 young guys... The target is the younger generation..

Old 04-28-2016   #7
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

I see from the Leica Forum site that the displayless Leica M-D costs a mere 500 Euros more than the basic M for the value added associated with removing the display. Brilliant piece of work, that.
Next year, I foresee another model with metering removed for a trifling additional premium, maybe 1000 euros, for REAL purists. The only thing left to do after that is a version with a memory capacity of 36 shots, where you need to wait a couple days before you can view the images. God only knows how much that will cost.
And there will be people out there queuing up to buy all of them.

Cheers,
Dez

Old 04-28-2016   #8
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
I see from the Leica Forum site that the displayless Leica M-D costs a mere 500 Euros more than the basic M for the value added associated with removing the display. Brilliant piece of work, that.
Next year, I foresee another model with metering removed for a trifling additional premium, maybe 1000 euros, for REAL purists. The only thing left to do after that is a version where you need to wait a couple days before you can view the images. God only knows how much that will cost.
And there will be people out there queuing up to buy all of them.

Cheers,
Dez

And then there's the 'total minimalism' (TM) model after that where you pay fifty percent more than than the metered LCD equipped version but don't actually get a camera at all ... just a box and a manual with a letter from the good doctor congratulating you on your choice!

Old 04-28-2016   #9
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

Ah yes, but these minimalist designs are for the true pro!

As everyone knows, anyone who makes his or her living with a camera will seize every opportunity to reduce the probability of getting the shot.

Cheers,
Dez

Old 04-28-2016   #10
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

I'm not a hipster, does that mean I can't buy an MD?

Old 04-28-2016   #11
angelopartemi
SnakeFace

Just take my damn money.

Old 04-28-2016   #12
aizan

of course rui palha is the only one who doesn't make my eyes roll.

interesting to see that they're targeting a younger demographic. what's old is new again!

Old 04-28-2016   #13
Leica All Day

at least it has strap lugs

Old 04-28-2016   #14
OurManInTangier
An Undesirable

Well I for one am over the moon. Turns out I'm a hipster, or young enough to be, just about, hip...or maybe I'm just a (non Leica using) Leica fanboy after all.

I have always liked the idea of a digital camera with no viewing screen. Not because its 'like the film days' and therefore cool, but simply to remove that almost impossible pull to stop what you're doing and look at what you've just done instead. Frankly, with wifi I'm happy to upload a few pics to my phone/tablet whilst having a coffee if I really have an urge to see what I've done before I get home.

As for professionals not wanting to reduce their hit rate, why would that be the case? Either use a different model (there's plenty to choose from) or be professional and learn to expose well enough to reduce your 'dud rate' in the first place.

If Fuji did one i.e. I could afford one, I'd probably go for it. Instead I'll just have to go out and buy a plaid shirt and beanie hat as I'm obviously much younger and less conservative than I thought

Post Script: Marketing will either make you buy or queasy. As they say in the UK, as a direct result of marketing, "Simples."

| SLP: Work website

Old 04-28-2016   #15
jaapv
RFF Sponsoring Member.

Interesting that this marketing is remarkably video-oriented, for a camera that had video deliberately removed. (it looks like it was taken with an M Typ 240...)

jaapvphotography

Old 04-29-2016   #16
Lss

I watched the video and found it surprisingly enjoyable. Very little dumb marketing talk, lots of nice visuals. It was a story about three photographers and their photography, not so much about this camera (although the M-D was essentially in every shot). Didn't read the text, and there was no usable interface to view the photos. In summary, this is well above most marketing sites, but you don't miss much if you never go there.

Old 04-29-2016   #17
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lss View Post
I watched the video and found it surprisingly enjoyable. Very little dumb marketing talk, lots of nice visuals. It was a story about three photographers and their photography, not so much about this camera (although the M-D was essentially in every shot). Didn't read the text, and there was no usable interface to view the photos. In summary, this is well above most marketing sites, but you don't miss much if you never go there.

Pretty much sums up how I saw it. It had a lot less gag factor than some of their efforts!

Old 04-29-2016   #18
View Range

Darthfeeble, it is M-D; not MD. The MD is a film camera from 1963 to 1966.

Has Leica marketing run out of alpha, numeric, and special characters so that all cameras in the future will reuse already used designations and type numbers?

Old 04-29-2016   #19
jsrockit

I think it is cool to give a nod towards Leica's past... Olympus just did it too... Pen F.

Old 04-29-2016   #20
View Range

Yes, but the MD was a scientific camera with no rangerfinder/viewfinder. Not a camera to give a nod to. Strictly speaking the MD should not have been called an M, designating "rangefinder" in German. So does "D" mean "deleted" or does it mean "digital". ?

Old 04-29-2016   #21
jsrockit

Does it matter much why it is called what it is called? Leica isn't going to change it and most people aren't going to care.

Old 04-29-2016   #22
raid
Dad Photographer

I bought an SWC to slow down my digital adventures, and then I got a Polaroid Land camera for the same reason, but Fuji stopped making film for the Land camera!
I am sticking with my M8 and M9 cameras until they stop working.
The original MD was very attractive to get for a (very) wide angle lens. Instead, I got a Bessa L and a T.

Why get a digital M-D? If you have the cash for it, why not.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 04-29-2016   #23
raid
Dad Photographer

Maybe a D M-squared?

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 04-29-2016   #24
FrozenInTime

How about a readout of percentage pixels clipped - displayed in place of the shutter speed post exposure for a couple of seconds.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 04-29-2016   #25
Out to Lunch

What I don't like about this camera in relation to the M typ 262, is US$ 800 more not to have a screen and the fact it captures images in RAW, only. Other than that I don't quite get the 'screen' 'no screen' dichotomy: the Epson R-D1 has a neat screen that you can open-up or turn-around and close. Problem solved.

Old 04-29-2016   #26
jsrockit

Isn't it fair to say that there are options if you don't like the LCD screen-less M? You might not get it, but it will sell and some people want it. Just like the Monochrom...

Old 04-29-2016   #27
BLKRCAT
99% Film

wait, so people ACTUALLY shoot like the guy at 3:50?

I'm sorry but with his shooting style I wouldnt be surprised if his actual regular camera was an LCA.

I honestly cant even deal with this video.

Old 04-29-2016   #28
robert blu
quiet photographer

Personally I would never buy a digital camera without LCD even if the rare times I shoot digital with my wife's DSLR I almost never chimp.

But if there is market for this, enough people like it and will buy it and Leica can make money out of it why not?

It's so nice to have many different possibilities!
Anyone does not like it? Not obliged to buy!

About the price when you are ready to buy a few thousands EUR (or $) camera and you really like it I guess it is not a difference of a few hundreds that will stop you!

robert

PS: what I didn't like in the short film was the slow motion effect (as in the DAH film), I understand the idea to slow down with digital but the photographer should be the one slowing down not the world around him!

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 04-29-2016   #29
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Agree. I have just completely switched to Leica M for my pro work too. Been a full time working pro for 3 decades. Had an MM for 3 1/2 years now and I'm so tired of all the bells and whistles that further are removing me from process that major companies seem to be so obsessed with and that obsession also includes a lot of young hipster photographers that are on the gadget go round..

I'm old enough to remember when Leica M was more than twice the price of the top of the line Nicanons. My M 262 was 2 K less. In the 50s wasn't an M3 about the equal to a months salary from an average family? Does that make those buying those big heavy beasts with all the auto everything ultra hipsters because there are those in that group to the hang those big monsters around their necks like jewelry too?

Nice that Leica is making real choices. I remember all the hate when the MM first came out. I had never liked digital B&W until the MM and it turned out to be a good move for Leica in spite of all the hate. I say to those throwing out all the hate, find equipment that works for you and don't worry if there's a tool out there that doesn't work for you and who might buy it. Just be glad we all have choices. Thanks Leica for daring to be different.

I'm trying to figure out a way to buy one. I have an MM, M 262 and an M-E and really could use another color body. Maybe next year....

Old 04-29-2016   #30
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
Other than that I don't quite get the 'screen' 'no screen' dichotomy: the Epson R-D1 has a neat screen that you can open-up or turn-around and close. Problem solved.
Fundamentally it is a question about how the interface is designed. The M-D is not a clean design in this sense, it is only an M typ 240 iteration (like the Series 60 special edition it resembles).

A folding screen is a solution to a different problem. I used to own the R-D1 and usually kept the screen covered. This was both for aesthetic reasons and to protect it. But it did not improve the usability at all. A screenless design, or a non-screen centric design, has much more potential. I don't find the M-D ideal in this sense, but I would rather have it for usability reasons than the regular M typ 262. I cannot afford either one, though.

Old 04-29-2016   #31
nightfly

Homerun would have been being able to reduce the body size by getting rid of the screen to get it back down to the size of a film M.

I only use the screen on my M9 to set the ISO and check the battery. ISO dial is there which is nice. Probably some way to check the battery or a light or something I assume?

The more the camera gets out of the way and lets me take photos the better. And I'm not that old and not a hipster.

Old 04-29-2016   #32
ferider

Like Michael said, at least it has lugs.

That being said, it would be useless for me, since my classic wides are uncoded, and I pick the lens code manually. I need a screen for that. Plus other useful features like changing the self timer setting, formatting the card, cleaning and inspecting the sensor, checking battery load, etc.

And the one thing I take from the video is how huge and ugly the Frankenfinder is. You guys really prefer that over LV ?

Roland.

Old 04-29-2016   #33
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
Homerun would have been being able to reduce the body size by getting rid of the screen to get it back down to the size of a film M.
Agreed... maybe in the future.

Old 04-29-2016   #34
mlu19

Nice camera for camera enthusiasts. Pros should just stay away from Leica in general.

Old 04-29-2016   #35
JPSuisse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
I see from the Leica Forum site that the displayless Leica M-D costs a mere 500 Euros more than the basic M for the value added associated with removing the display.
[bash]Basically, this is not an optimized product. If it were, the body would be thinner. So, it really is a case of paying more for less.[/bash]

In another 3 years, Leica maybe will have a new digital M for me to buy. Unfortunately, by then it won't be compatible with Lightroom 4, so I'll just keep using the M8 and scanning. So goes the digital life cycle nowadays.

Old 04-29-2016   #36
Pete B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
What I don't like about this camera in relation to the M typ 262, is US$ 800 more not to have a screen and the fact it captures images in RAW, only. Other than that I don't quite get the 'screen' 'no screen' dichotomy: the Epson R-D1 has a neat screen that you can open-up or turn-around and close. Problem solved.
I've turned off the screen on my M240, but it's there when I want to check something.
Pete

Old 04-29-2016   #37
AlejandroI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMcCoy View Post
ITT: the most boring, unengaging, armchair photographers complain about one of the best working photographers of this generation.

Seriously you guys. Please, please actually go look at DA's work. Then take some time to reevaluate your lives.
I am no expert, nor shoot for a living, i just shoot for fun, but i did as you suggested, and google his work. And honestly I dont see anything special besides another street photographer shooting from the hip with flash, nothing special at least as i see it.

I am not discrediting his work, but calling him one of the best photographers of this generation? Actually makes me think you havent gone the extra mile to see better photographers..

Old 04-29-2016   #38
jsrockit

Quote:
ITT: the most boring, unengaging, armchair photographers complain about one of the best working photographers of this generation.

Seriously you guys. Please, please actually go look at DA's work. Then take some time to reevaluate your lives.
While you have a point (generally speaking), I'm not so sure people have been complaining about the photographer as much as the camera...

I think there were 2 comments about the photographers in the video ...

Old 04-29-2016   #39
BLKRCAT
99% Film

Quote:

If you are projecting to me I'll give you some insight to my thoughts.

I looked at his work and the majority of street photography posted around is very much his style. Random passerby shots, shooting from the hip, spontaneous snapshots.

While he shows potential when it comes to curating and editing his shots, anyone (I mean anyone.) can walk down the street and aimlessly click a button. It's been joked about that you could give a blind person a DSLR set on continuous and that they could get good shots as well.

Out of curiosity I wonder how many shots he goes through before he finds one he likes.

His quality of images reflect the style of shooting. Personally I feel like that style doesn't give me the impression that any care or thought is put into it the shot. If you feel the opposite then good for you and have fun filling those SD cards.

*sits back in armchair.

Old 04-29-2016   #40
jjabad

I enjoyed the video. I was more interested in learning about new photographers. I didnʻt really care for DA.