Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Zeiss Contax

Zeiss Contax Forum for the classic Zeiss Contax I, II, III, IIa, IIIa , G series, and if you want to push it, the nice Contax point and shoots. Some spill over from the Kievs, the Soviet copy of the Contax II/III can also be expected. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in classic Zeiss Contax Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2C.

Contax l and llla lenses:compatibility query
Old 10-22-2015   #1
Jimbo035
James M Turner

Contax l and llla lenses:compatibility query

I have a llla which (according to the serial number lists elsewhere in this forum) was built in 1956, with a Carl Zeiss 50mm 1.5 Sonnar of the same vintage. If all goes well I may soon own a Contax l from 1933/4 (serial no preceded by the letter V) that has a 50mm f2.8 Tessar which I have no reason to doubt has been with the camera from day one.
So, despite the 20+ year differences, would/will interchanging the lenses between these two camera bodies be problematical ?
I would really like to see a Contax l behind a 1.5 Sonnar !

Old 10-22-2015   #2
furcafe

No problems, though the Tessar will be uncoated & could be a disappointment if you're not familiar w/older lenses (more flare, less contrast, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo035 View Post
I have a llla which (according to the serial number lists elsewhere in this forum) was built in 1956, with a Carl Zeiss 50mm 1.5 Sonnar of the same vintage. If all goes well I may soon own a Contax l from 1933/4 (serial no preceded by the letter V) that has a 50mm f2.8 Tessar which I have no reason to doubt has been with the camera from day one.
So, despite the 20+ year differences, would/will interchanging the lenses between these two camera bodies be problematical ?
I would really like to see a Contax l behind a 1.5 Sonnar !
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 10-22-2015   #3
jim_jm

Pre-war Biogon 35mm and all Jupiter-12 35mm lenses will not fit the newer IIA and IIIA bodies, but are fine on the older I, II and III bodies. They are the same mount, but these lenses protrude far enough into the body to actually touch the shutter curtain.

Otherwise, all other lenses in Contax mount should be fine. You can also use any Nikon S mount lenses that are 35mm and wider. Cosina Voigtlander lenses in Nikon mount like the 21, 25, 28 and 35 are a great way to shoot modern wide lenses on your Contaxes.

Old 10-22-2015   #4
View Range

I remember reading that the reflex housings don't fit the Contax I. I don't have a Contax I so I can't try the housings for fit.

Old 10-22-2015   #5
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Range View Post
I remember reading that the reflex housings don't fit the Contax I. I don't have a Contax I so I can't try the housings for fit.
I don't think there is a Contax I reflex housing

Old 10-22-2015   #6
View Range

The Flektoskop, Flektometer, Panflex Pre-war and Post-war fit Contax II, III, IIa, and IIIa. My recollection is that they don't fit the Contax I. This is unlike Leica where the PLOOT, Visoflex I LTM and Visoflex II LTM can be used on any Leica, in some cases requiring a double cable release; only the Visoflex III can't be used on LTM Leicas.