Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Article: Leica Cult is born in Portugal
Old 05-03-2012   #1
caasols

Article: Leica Cult is born in Portugal

Today, the portuguese magazine Visão, published a small article about Leica's factory\brand in Portugal.

The article doesn't add too much information, but there's a small video with scenes from the production process in the factory.

http://visao.sapo.pt/culto-leica-nas...rtugal=f662184

Old 05-04-2012   #2
freax

This will be a shock to every people as they think Leica is made in Germany :-) Most of the cameras (M9 included) are only assembled in Germany "factory".

Old 05-04-2012   #3
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

That is a lovely Portuguese camera !

Strange to have a Leica article with so many little responses
Old 05-04-2012   #4
OlympusRF

Strange to have a Leica article with so many little responses

I really like Leica, but I don't have one yet.
I've born in canadia, but I live in Portugal and I feel like portuguese, and seems strange to me that people maybe are like "shamed" that their cameras aren't really german.
More than 90% of all Leica cameras are made in Portugal.

The text translated to english by google:
"In visits to Japan, Carlos Mira, 50, manager of Leica, working in the Portuguese branch of the brand, chooses not to use the company's pin on his lapel. He knows that looks of torn greed are inevitable , always attentive to the best technologies. Considered the Rolls Royce of cameras, has the distinction of being made almost entirely in Portugal. Almost ... was not just a small sensor placed in Germany. "Made in Germany sells," he acknowledges. Subject to setting the binoculars, but these, 100% Portuguese.

When the brothers Leitz made the decision, in the early 70th century. XX, to relocate part of production, Vila Nova de Famalicão presented itself as the ideal location. "They were influenced by the adage 'In Braga to pray, in Porto to work and Lisbon to live'. In Famalicão, they also had experience in precision machinery [including watches] Boa Regulatory and crafts, in textiles. " They started with five employees and perspective of being a half-dozen years. Today there are 650, half of which over 20 years of service, and know-how already exceeded that of the parent. This year, leave the facility opened in 1973 and moved to the new plant, 3 kilometers.

In the past, the parent company made several attempts to relocate to countries with labor-cheaper labor, but soon regretted it. "This will never be a mass production. We don't have robots, you need hands delicate parts to join 1200 pieces in a machine." Besides the constant developments of digital still making analog machines and respond to a growing market for nostalgia. "There is a cult in itself. I met a gentleman who claimed to have an altar of Leica at home and spent two years without speaking to a brother in law that made a scratch in a Leica."

They had, in 2011 the best year ever. When Carlos Mira heard on the radio that the government would cut off part of the Christmas bonus, decided to award a prize in November, to employees. "We have great respect for the workers, without them this was not possible."

The philosophy of rigor, discipline and quality of the Leica passes from generation to generation. Is Hugo Freitas, 36, two in the company, who says: "The Portuguese use a lot of words perhaps we'll see. In culture Leica or it is or it is not.""

Old 05-04-2012   #5
Dfin

I bought my M4-P, brand new in 1984, still going strong. To all those Portuguese craftsmen & women, thankyou very much and keep up the good work.

Old 05-04-2012   #6
Nando

I have dual citizenship - Portuguese and Canadian. I always fancied having a Portuguese-made body with a Canadian-made lens. A friend in Portugal has such a kit - a Portuguese R3 with a Canadian 50 Summicron-R. He said that the camera reminds him of me. :-)

Fernando Gomes Semedo - flickr

Old 05-04-2012   #7
umcelinho
Marcelo

que orgulho do "meu" país!

Old 05-05-2012   #8
Rhodes
Time Lord

My R3 is Portugal made and I proudly display it!

Old 05-05-2012   #9
migtex
Don't eXchange Freedom!

I don't own any Leica or even wish to own one (hey I'm a Sendai guy...) but I do believe the small video sheds some light on why the M's cost so much... very few things are hand made like the M's on nowadays. It's craft and costs accordingly.....
You know.... I don t wish to own one.. but an M6 will be great just to compare with the life time Nikon's.
Ah it explains why the 2005 SP's cost the same as well...
Camera FUN? <click>