Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

I've gotta admit... I've got a cool wife.
Old 12-11-2019   #1
Asim

I've gotta admit... I've got a cool wife.

We've been married 19 years now.

Two days ago I came across an Olympus RC in the classified about 30 minutes drive from our place. It was close to midnight and the seller said it was fine to come right away. I thought my wife might say that it's too late and just do it in the morning. Instead she said, "What are you waiting for, let's go!" At midnight I had a mint Olympus RC in my hands.

The next morning, I came across an Elmarit 28mm Aspherical about an hours drive from our place. My wife said, "Talk to the seller if it's okay to come now and I'll pack a lunch for the kids. You've been wanting that lens for quite a while now." A couple of hours later I had an Elmarit 28mm Asph in my hands.

So how cool are your partners in life?

Old 12-11-2019   #2
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

You're making this up, right?

Old 12-11-2019   #3
zuiko85

My bride (of 31 years) is amazing. A year ago I recognized a eBay listing for a Olympus Pen FV as one owned by the late Peter Dechert. When I told her it’s history she only asked “would you like it?” ‘Well...yes’ I stammered. Without a word she logged into eBay on her laptop and pressed the ‘buy it now’ button.
What a great gal.
And no, before anyone asks, that is a true story.

Old 12-11-2019   #4
Asim

Not making this up.
Here's the guy that sold me the mint Olympus 35RC in downtown Toronto...
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1459571170

And here's the link of the guy that sold me the Leica lens located in Guelph, Ontario.

https://www.kijiji.ca/o-profile/52028734/listings/1

The second guy, Andrew, still has a few Leica lenses including a 21, 35, 50 lux asph, and a 90. They are all in mint condition and he's quite reasonable and perhaps flexible with prices. Tell him Asim Raza sent you.

Old 12-11-2019   #5
Asim

Zuiko85... your bride is what they call a 'classy lady'

Old 12-11-2019   #6
B-9
Devin Bro

My wife bought me a cheap Tiltall Tripod... haha

I was happy.

But now I want an Elmarit lol

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 12-11-2019   #7
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
My bride (of 31 years) is amazing. A year ago I recognized a eBay listing for a Olympus Pen FV as one owned by the late Peter Dechert. When I told her it’s history she only asked “would you like it?” ‘Well...yes’ I stammered. Without a word she logged into eBay on her laptop and pressed the ‘buy it now’ button.
What a great gal.
And no, before anyone asks, that is a true story.

The next time I want to buy a camera and my wife objects, can I tell her that I asked you to ask your wife and your wife said it was OK for me to buy it? It might help..........or not.

Actually my wife and I play the oldest game in the book. Its called mutually assured destruction. When she buys a new outfit she hides it from me for a time then casually reveals it when we are going out somewhere. When I ask if it is new she says with a look of pure honesty on her face, "No I have had it for a while actually". (Where "for a while actually" means any time longer than one week - but generally one week and one day). I pretend I believe her that is is not new.

When I want to buy a camera or lens I do exactly the same with her. And she pretends to believe me. We both play the "great game" that diplomats and great statesmen play in international diplomacy when staving off a war with another country. On such fragile bases relationships are built - As Homer Simpson once said. "The problem with many relationships is communication..................too much communication"

Mutually assured destruction.

Old 12-11-2019   #8
Emile de Leon

My wife gets whatever she wants..but she doesnt want much..
She is beautiful and..pretty low maintenance too..
I dont buy anything that I dont really need..
But she doesnt care one way or another..
Never has..

Old 12-11-2019   #9
Johngwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post

Actually my wife and I play the oldest game in the book. Its called mutually assured destruction. When she buys a new outfit she hides it from me for a time then casually reveals it when we are going out somewhere. When I ask if it is new she says with a look of pure honesty on her face, "No I have had it for a while actually". (Where "for a while actually" means any time longer than one week - but generally one week and one day). I pretend I believe her that is is not new.

When I want to buy a camera or lens I do exactly the same with her. And She pretends to believe me. We both play the "great game" that diplomats great statesmen play in international diplomacy when staving off a war with another country. On such fragile bases relationships are built - As Homer Simpson once said. "The problem with many relationships is communication..................too much communication"

Mutually assured destruction.

My wife and I have a similar 'game' which we have adopted over the years. She doesn't ask me about my collection of cameras and I don't ask her about her collection of shoes and handbags. Actually her collection is larger than mine so I always have the excuse of just one more!

Old 12-11-2019   #10
Huss

Sonofa.. I asked my wife for a Lenny Kravitz edition Leica. She slammed the car door on my hand.

Old 12-11-2019   #11
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

I can't complain either - over a period of 10 years my wife bought me a Leica IIc and some years back I got a Nikon F5 (she found it bookmarked on eBay).
I have an F6 on my watch list for some years now but it doesn't seem to materialise

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 12-11-2019   #12
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
I have an F6 on my watch list for some years now but it doesn't seem to materialise
Never meet your heroes.

Old 12-12-2019   #13
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Sonofa.. I asked my wife for a Lenny Kravitz edition Leica. She slammed the car door on my hand.
A woman of impeccable taste!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism - all gone.

Old 12-12-2019   #14
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Quote:
Never meet your heroes.

Oh, is there a reason?

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 12-12-2019   #15
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngwill View Post
My wife and I have a similar 'game' which we have adopted over the years. She doesn't ask me about my collection of cameras and I don't ask her about her collection of shoes and handbags. Actually her collection is larger than mine so I always have the excuse of just one more!

You are a wise man.

Old 12-12-2019   #16
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asim View Post
So how cool are your partners in life?
Never was anybody. I'm considered like inanimate object or like something that is not existing.

Old 12-12-2019   #17
Richard G

M9-P and Monochrom. I can't complain. But the OP's wife is something else.

Old 12-12-2019   #18
Larry Cloetta

Not sure whether to cry out of happiness for the beauty of the OP’s relationship, or just cry.

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 12-12-2019   #19
css9450

I work with a guy who has a strange, one-sided passive-aggressive battle with his wife.... Actually, its the wife that has the battle with HIM!. If he spends money without telling her ahead of time (particularly if its for a "toy" such as the cameras we're discussing here), she retaliates by secretly throwing away some other treasured item of his, usually in cold revenge after stewing about the matter for a week or two first. Sometimes he doesn't even realize the item is gone for awhile; the new bare spot on the shelf sometimes is the only clue.

Old 12-12-2019   #20
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.giannakis View Post
Oh, is there a reason?
I have the F6 as well as the F4.

I prefer the F4. Somehow the F6 just sucks the joy out of taking pics.

Old 12-12-2019   #21
Contarama

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
I work with a guy who has a strange, one-sided passive-aggressive battle with his wife.... Actually, its the wife that has the battle with HIM!. If he spends money without telling her ahead of time (particularly if its for a "toy" such as the cameras we're discussing here), she retaliates by secretly throwing away some other treasured item of his, usually in cold revenge after stewing about the matter for a week or two first. Sometimes he doesn't even realize the item is gone for awhile; the new bare spot on the shelf sometimes is the only clue.
I would divorce her!

Old 12-12-2019   #22
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Quote:
I have the F6 as well as the F4.

I prefer the F4. Somehow the F6 just sucks the joy out of taking pics.
I was hoping you would say that. I don't think I have this amount of money anyway.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 12-12-2019   #23
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Mutual support is the name of the game. 28 years here and going strong. I don’t get her game, she don’t get the cameras. But we each know the other gets something from our individual games that makes us happy.

Old 12-12-2019   #24
Dogman

I've got a cool wife too.

But she wouldn't know an Elmarit from her elbow.

Old 12-12-2019   #25
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Is dark humour allowed here?

Old 12-12-2019   #26
ornate_wrasse

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
I work with a guy who has a strange, one-sided passive-aggressive battle with his wife.... Actually, its the wife that has the battle with HIM!. If he spends money without telling her ahead of time (particularly if its for a "toy" such as the cameras we're discussing here), she retaliates by secretly throwing away some other treasured item of his
What a shame it has to be like this. Sounds like counseling is in order for this relationship.

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

Leica M9, Leica M3 - 21mm 3.4 Super Angulon, 28mm 2.8 Elmarit, 35mm Summicron, Nikkor SC 50mm 1.4, Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm 1.5, Nikkor 8.5cm 2.0

Mamiya 6 - 50mm f4, 75mm f3.5, 150mm f4.5

Fuji X-Pro1 - 16-55mm f/2.8, 27mm f/2.8

RFF Feedback: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...1931&protype=9

Old 12-12-2019   #27
mpaniagua

Congratz with you wives guys.

My wife (we married 16 years ago) has very little tolerance for my cameras. She is always pushing me to sell the unused one. She is ok with the Rolleiflex though.

Marcelo

Old 12-13-2019   #28
narsuitus

@Asim,

Does your wife have an unmarried sister?

Old 12-13-2019   #29
krötenblender

Well, I don't get cameras/lenses as gift and we just don't discuss my purchases and sells in camera equipment at all. But I get a different thing, that IMHO beats all this by far: When on vacation we go shooting together like crazy and we share and talk with excitement about it. She's not only my other half, she's also my photo-buddy. What could be better?

A couple of years ago...
Old 12-13-2019   #30
robert blu
quiet photographer

A couple of years ago...

It's a story of more than two years ago I already posted on RFF, when my wife and I during a road trip from Italy to North Germany made a stop in Wetzlar where I had the RF of my M7 adjusted. We got an excellent service and in a few hours it was done, kudos to Wetzlar Customer Service.

Meantime we made a visit to the Leica shop where I was curious to know if they had any refurbished digital M, maybe an M9 or 262 or...something just to try it. But we also ask to see and try the M10. You understand, the curiosity!

As soon as I had the M10 in my hands I felt it very familiar, like having my M7.

My wife asked me if I wanted it and my answer was ok, it's nice, maybe for my 70th birthday (in less then two years) it could be a nice present to celebrate.

But...
...she replied: if you are sure it's a good camera, the one you desire than buy it now. And use it! No need to wait two years.

End of the story: in the afternoon after some more thinking I placed the order
and a few weeks later I was owner of an M10! Life is short, it's already late...

Now, and this is a little silly, I could have the M10 shipped to my address but we decided to drive to Wetzlar again to pick up personally! This makes the camera more...my camera!

Of course the first photo I took with the M10 had to be a photo of my wife

It's not a perfect photo, we both were feeling the emotion of a special moment!

Two and half years later I only add the M10 is a perfect camera im my opinion and my wife still is a special wife

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 12-13-2019   #31
Huss

That is a very sweet story Robert.
I showed it to my wife and she slammed my other hand with the car door.

Old 12-13-2019   #32
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
That is a very sweet story Robert.
I showed it to my wife and she slammed my other hand with the car door.
I hope your car has not "strong" doors...

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 12-14-2019   #33
David Hughes
David Hughes

These posts are rather unbalanced; where's the "I've got a cool husband" ones? I guess they take it as read...

OTOH, perhaps "I've got a hot wife" would balance things up.

Regards, David

Old 12-14-2019   #34
krötenblender

Perhaps no cool husbands...? And only few female camerawomen here...

Old 12-14-2019   #35
icebear

When I got a promo e-mail from Leica for a 4 day masterclass in NYC for the price of a summicron (new), I wasn't sure. First about the money and the class topic which I had never done before. My wife " Sure you do it. What are you waiting for. That's a once in lifetime opportunity". As I do what SWMBO tells me , I signed up. It was announced as "a life changing event" ... typical marketing BS, I thought. But it turned out to be exactely that.

To have the results of this experience adequately printed I booked a day in a printing studio (Cone Edition, Vermont). I told my wife about the meticulous process and one directional printing and she replied "Sure otherwise you might have some herringbone pattern in the print". I was positively floored (She doesn't have any background in digital printing other than having an office printer).

This isn't a competition and she's my number one anyway

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 12-14-2019   #36
giganova

The other day I watched Ebay auctions of cameras and my wife said "Why can't you watch porn like any other guy?"