Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Chris Crawford

Chris Crawford I am pleased to announced a long time member has agreed to help and mentor others in photographic technique. As he has long done so, perhaps this forum is a bit overdue. Christopher Crawford has been a professional artist and photographer for 20 years, most of that time spent documenting life in northern Indiana with his photographs and the stories that he writes to accompany them. In addition, Chris also creates tutorials where he teaches photography techniques, film processing, digital editing, film scanning, and printing. Ask Chris your technical questions, or to critique your photos. You can see more of his tutorials at http://crawfordphotoschool.com

Old 09-03-2019   #2561
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
I like very much your two white chairs: excellent composition and great tones. There is a sense of relax in this photo

Thanks, Robert. That is still one of the best photographs I have ever made, even though it was 21 years ago when I was a student. I have a large print of it on my wall.

Old 09-04-2019   #2562
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Another of my favorite photographs. This one was made back in 2001. I photographed it just as the sun was setting. There was so little light that it required a five minute exposure!

Old 09-05-2019   #2563
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

My grandfather, John Westerfield, used to own a cottage on Goose Lake in Whitley County, Indiana. This pier belonged to his neighbor, who kept this chair hanging from the posts of the pier to keep it from floating off when the lake would flood.

I made this photograph back in 2002, right before my grandma sold their cottage. Grandpa had died in 1999, and she had never wanted the lake house. He bought it because he liked to go fishing.

Old 09-10-2019   #2564
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post

Another of my favorite photographs. This one was made back in 2001. I photographed it just as the sun was setting. There was so little light that it required a five minute exposure!
Love this Chris and I really enjoy this thread. Inspiring.

Old 09-10-2019   #2565
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
Love this Chris and I really enjoy this thread. Inspiring.

Thanks. That photo is always going to be one of my favorites. I used to have a large print of it on the wall, but I donated it to a charity auction about 5 or 6 years ago. I need to get a frame and hang a new one!

Old 10-15-2019   #2566
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This bicycle was chained to a bike rack in front of The Big Eyed Fish, a restaurant on Wells Street in Fort Wayne, Indiana. A number of bike racks like this one have been installed along Wells Street in recent years as part of the effort to rejuvenate the neighborhood.

The Pantry, one of Fort Wayne's rougher bars, (lots of stabbings and a few shootings over the years) is visible across the street.

Old 10-16-2019   #2567
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Sneaky, the cat I rescued from neglectful neighbors who were letting him starve, looking cute outside my house.

You can see more photos of him and read his story here:

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/for...d.php?t=168651

Old 10-16-2019   #2568
chipgreenberg

Great tones and textures Chris!

Quote:

Old 10-24-2019   #2569
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This garage stands behind an old house on Wells Street in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The hoop is missing from the basketball backboard above the door.

Nine years earlier, I photographed a porch swing on the front of the house.

Old 10-30-2019   #2570
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

A woman kayaking on the Saint Marys River at Promenade Park in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana. I made this photograph last week.

Promenade Park opened in the summer of 2019 on the banks of the Saint Marys River, just west of Headwaters Park, as part of Fort Wayne's efforts to develop the areas around the three rivers that converge in the city. The Saint Marys River and Saint Joseph River come together on the east side of downtown to form the Maumee River, which empties into Lake Erie at Toledo, Ohio.

Old 10-31-2019   #2571
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Kayaks for rent at Promenade Park in downtown Fort Wayne. This is where the woman in my previous post got her kayak. They're hanging from the bottom of the Tree Canopy Trail, a winding footbridge through the trees on the north bank of the river.

Old 11-19-2019   #2572
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

A door on the back of an old brick house on the west side of Cass Street, just south of Fourth Street, in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

The house has been subdivided into apartments, like many old houses in Fort Wayne’s poorer neighborhoods.

Old 11-23-2019   #2573
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Last week, I photographed this fireworks store in the small town of New Haven, Indiana. Since fireworks are a popular way to celebrate American Independence Day, these types of stores always have big American flags and other patriotic signs. It was raining when I was photographing it.

New Haven was originally a few miles east of Fort Wayne; but over the years, New Haven expanded to the west and Fort Wayne expanded to the east, so now they share a common border.

Old 11-25-2019   #2574
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This is the first of eight abstract photographs that I made of the sky over my neighborhood in Fort Wayne on the morning of August 6, 2019.

Old 11-26-2019   #2575
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I made this photograph of the sky shortly before sunset yesterday evening.

Old 11-27-2019   #2576
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This little used car lot is on West Main Street, in Fort Wayne, Indiana. It has one of the more unusual names that I have seen for a car dealer: Surreal Automotive.

Like many car dealers, this one has an American flag on display; in this case, a hand-painted pallet flag.

I photographed it Monday afternoon.

Old 11-28-2019   #2577
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

To my fellow Americans, Happy Thanksgiving!

I photographed this house a couple days ago. It is on the corner of West Main Street and Mechanic Street, in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The West Main Street area is an old working class neighborhood just west of downtown.

Old 12-09-2019   #2578
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This is one of the most perfectly formed trees that I have ever seen. It is in a field along Lima Road (Indiana State Road 3), between Fort Wayne and Huntertown, in rural Allen County, Indiana. I have watched it grow bigger and bigger each year for nearly 20 years now.

A couple days ago, I received a tip from a friend that the field surrounding the tree was being excavated for some sort of construction work. I don't know if the tree will be left, or what is being built.

I made this photograph yesterday evening.

See more photos of the tree on my website

Old 12-10-2019   #2579
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This storefront is on the corner of West Main Street and Osage Street in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

The building was boarded up and left to deteriorate for decades. I first photographed it back in 2001, and the building's condition suffered even more in the years after that.

A few months ago, the building's owners began to renovate the building, and the work was nearly finished when I made this photograph of it at the end of November.

Here it is in 2001:

Old 12-11-2019   #2580
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

A man-lift stands in front of the steel frame of a new building under construction on Main Street in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana. It is going to be a hotel.

I photographed it at the end of November.

Old 12-12-2019   #2581
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

New2 You is a secondhand shop on South Street (State Road 101) in the small town of Monroeville, Indiana. I photographed it last month.

The front windows are decorated with American flags and other patriotic items for the Veterans Day holiday, which was a few days before I made this photograph of the store.

Monroeville is a small farming community in southeast Allen County, not far from the Indiana-Ohio state line.

Old 12-12-2019   #2582
CharlesDAMorgan

I love what you are doing here Chris. I've recently moved to a city where there are a wonderful collection of old buildings in various stages of decay, and a city council determined to see the back of them. Time to document them before they go - at least two pubs have burned down since I last photographed them some 2 years ago!

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism - all gone.

Old 12-13-2019   #2583
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
I love what you are doing here Chris. I've recently moved to a city where there are a wonderful collection of old buildings in various stages of decay, and a city council determined to see the back of them. Time to document them before they go - at least two pubs have burned down since I last photographed them some 2 years ago!

Fort Wayne has lost almost all of its beautiful old buildings downtown. I've been photographing a lot of small towns, which still have much of their architectural heritage intact; but many of those buildings are going away too.

You should definitely document your city's vanishing architecture!

Old 12-13-2019   #2584
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The Glaser & Ebbs building is on the corner of Berry Street and Clinton Street, near the courthouse, in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana.

It was originally built in 1893 as the headquarters of a bank. When I was young, it was the headquarters of Home Loan Savings Bank, a locally owned bank. After they were acquired by Fifth Third Bank, it continued to be used by the bank for several years. It was later sold to Glaser & Ebbs, a local law firm.

I photographed it in the early morning as the sun was rising. It was still a bit dark outside, and bitterly cold. The building is decorated for Christmas, complete with a statue of Santa Claus.

Old 12-14-2019   #2585
Muggins

Quote:
This little used car lot is on West Main Street, in Fort Wayne, Indiana. It has one of the more unusual names that I have seen for a car dealer: Surreal Automotive.
And a Mini from my adopted home city (well, sort of, we live a couple of miles out now, Oxford!

Adrian

If http://www.flickr.com/photos/gray1720/ are the ones I let people see, what on earth are the rest like?

Old 12-16-2019   #2586
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Van Wert Variety Store is a now-closed store that sold used goods and antiques, located in an old brick building on the north side of Lincoln Highway in the small town of Van Wert, Ohio.

Signs in the windows proclaim: "Largest flea market collectible junk store in the area. Endless treasures. Buying old toys, 1930s - 1980s."

Old 12-16-2019   #2587
ChipMcD

Quote:

The Glaser & Ebbs building is on the corner of Berry Street and Clinton Street, near the courthouse, in downtown Fort Wayne, Indiana.

It was originally built in 1893 as the headquarters of a bank. When I was young, it was the headquarters of Home Loan Savings Bank, a locally owned bank. After they were acquired by Fifth Third Bank, it continued to be used by the bank for several years. It was later sold to Glaser & Ebbs, a local law firm.

I photographed it in the early morning as the sun was rising. It was still a bit dark outside, and bitterly cold. The building is decorated for Christmas, complete with a statue of Santa Claus.

Nice to see that the building was repurposed, and it looks like a lot of work got done too. Finally, it looks like e-scooters have made it to Ft Wayne. My town has been spared this so far.

Have a great holiday season, Chris.

Chip McDaniel

Old 12-16-2019   #2588
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

Chris, I started working for Lincoln Financial this summer (based in Hartford, though). One of these days I'll come out to the Fort with a camera -- looks like a lot of good subject matter to be found in your city.

Old 12-16-2019   #2589
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipMcD View Post
Nice to see that the building was repurposed, and it looks like a lot of work got done too. Finally, it looks like e-scooters have made it to Ft Wayne. My town has been spared this so far.

Have a great holiday season, Chris.

Chip McDaniel

The scooters arrived over the summer. Fort Wayne's downtown is now littered with them; I can see why people in other cities that have them want them gone.

The Glaser & Ebbs building has always been kept in good condition; the bank that owned it before remodeled it a couple of times when I was younger. It is one of only a handful of downtown commercial buildings from the nineteenth century still standing. A huge number were torn down when I was a child, before I was old enough to document them...though I remember many of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNickon View Post
Chris, I started working for Lincoln Financial this summer (based in Hartford, though). One of these days I'll come out to the Fort with a camera -- looks like a lot of good subject matter to be found in your city.

Lincoln Financial was founded in Fort Wayne. About 20 years ago, they hired a new CEO who was from Philadelphia, and he immediately moved the company's headquarters there because he couldn't stand living among us hicks in the midwest.

If you make it out here, let me know you're coming and we can get together!

Old 12-16-2019   #2590
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Van Wert Variety Store is a now-closed store that sold used goods and antiques, located in an old brick building on the north side of Lincoln Highway in the small town of Van Wert, Ohio.

Signs in the windows proclaim: "Largest flea market collectible junk store in the area. Endless treasures. Buying old toys, 1930s - 1980s."

Ah yes, many a junk shop has closed up everywhere I go. Few people have an interest in that kind of stuff anymore. I used to find all kinds of useful or decorative items in places like that.

PF

Old 12-17-2019   #2591
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The 13-24 Drive-In is one of a handful of drive-in theaters still operating in small towns in northern Indiana. It is located on State Road 13, north of US-24, just outside the small town of Wabash, Indiana.

I made this photograph of the theater's sign bank in November, after it had closed for the season. We get pretty harsh winters in this part of the United States, so the drive-ins are only open a few months in spring and summer each year. The marquee commented on the cold weather by simply saying:

"BBBRRRR"

The 13-24 is owned by the Honeywell Foundation, an arts organization in Wabash. They operate the drive-in as a nonprofit business to keep alive a part of the town's history.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2592
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This old house has the most 'minimalist' Halloween decorations that I have ever seen! "Happy Halloween" is spelled out with small stick-on letters under the front window. That is it, no other decorations!

The house is on West Main Street, a working-class area west of downtown in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2593
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

A flock of plastic flamingos next to a house on the corner of Elm Street and Laura Street in the small town of Payne, Ohio.

I photographed them last week.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2594
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

This house is on Laura Street in the small town of Payne, Ohio. The entire yard was filled with plastic Christmas decorations!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2595
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Another photograph of the 13-24 Drive-In Theatre just outside Wabash, Indiana. I photographed it back in November, at sunset.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2596
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The C. J. Schneider Building is a storefront building on the corner of Main Street and Stone Street in the small town of Antwerp, Ohio. It was built in 1893. It is sad to see such a beautiful building sit vacant and boarded up.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2597
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

KB Scoops is an ice cream shop on the corner of Main Street and Daggett Street in the small town of Antwerp, Ohio.

The sign on the window says: "Ice Cream Makes You Happy."

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2598
robert blu
quiet photographer

I like your photos very much, always. But that empty Drive-In Theater has a special beauty for me! Love it! Have a nice 2020 and keep doing this good work!

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2599
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
I like your photos very much, always. But that empty Drive-In Theater has a special beauty for me! Love it! Have a nice 2020 and keep doing this good work!

Thanks, Robert. Happy New Year to you too

The C. W. Busby Building is a vacant storefront building on Main Street, next to the railroad tracks, in the small town of Antwerp, Ohio. It has a richly decorated facade for such a tiny building.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2600
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Redwood Inn is an old neighborhood tavern on West Main Street in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The West Main Street area is a working class neighborhood just west of Fort Wayne's downtown.

Redwood Inn is right next to the old storefront on the corner of West Main and Osage Street that had long sat vacant.