Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

Gary Winogrand Color at the Brooklyn Musueum
Old 05-03-2019   #1
nightfly

Gary Winogrand Color at the Brooklyn Musueum

Went to the opening of Gary Winogrand, Color at the Brooklyn Museum last night. Great exhibit, an entire room with multiple ceiling projectors showing his original Kodachromes on opposite walls. Great way to view them though it was too crowded last night to really get a good feel, I will be going back on a weekday to spend some time with it.

I like his work in general although I sometimes find that the sheer volume and sometimes lax editing a bit off putting but even if you're not a fan, the vintage Kodachrome colors are a real treat. Also a lot of them are taken in the western United States and California which is a nice counterpoint to the black and whites which seem more New York City based.

They did a very good job of presenting a lot of work in an interesting manner keeping to the original medium.

I'm curious now what he actually did with all these slides, how many were printed or used in magazines or whatever. They say he shot about 6500 slides. What I had read is that he would have shot more color but the expense of developing wouldn't allow him to keep up with his prolific shooting.

Well worth a look if you're in the area or visiting. Usually the museum is pretty empty on weekdays and still tolerable on the weekends. It's a real gem if they have something you want to see.

Old 05-03-2019   #2
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

NF,

Thanks for posting this.

Cal

Old 05-04-2019   #3
olifaunt

Dammit, I was just in NYC and didn't know about it. Bad, dumb Olifaunt

Old 05-04-2019   #4
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

I heard a piece about the show on NPR yesterday.
Winogrand's color work is unpublished and largely unknown.
I hope I can make it there before the show closes.

Chris

Old 05-04-2019   #5
willie_901

Some of G.W.'s color work appears in the recent documentary film "Garry Winogrand: All Things are Photographable".

"Garry Winogrand: All Things are Photographable" was recently broadcast on the PBS American Masters series (link).

I wish I could see the Brooklyn Museum exhibit.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 05-04-2019   #6
nightfly

It's through December 8th so plenty of time.

Old 05-04-2019   #7
telenous

He shot colour, alongside b&w, in the road trip funded by the Guggenheim fellowship he received in 1964. The trip lasted four months, the balance of the year he worked in New York. His colour is beautiful, it's a shame he didn't do more but cost must have been considerable with his pace of shooting. Only a grant could cover the expense and apparently it did briefly.

flickr
instagram