Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Zeiss Contax

Zeiss Contax Forum for the classic Zeiss Contax I, II, III, IIa, IIIa , G series, and if you want to push it, the nice Contax point and shoots. Some spill over from the Kievs, the Soviet copy of the Contax II/III can also be expected. Plus the ONLY production camera ever made in classic Zeiss Contax Rangefinder mount WITH TTL metering ... the Voigtlander Bessa R2C.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Pre-War lens hood for 5cm lens
Old 04-01-2019   #1
pauld111
Registered User
 
pauld111 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 195
Pre-War lens hood for 5cm lens

Hi,

By mistake I bought a 40.5mm Stuttgart labelled lens hood for my Pre-War Sonnar 5cm 1.5 It does not fit my lens and I am trying to find out the correct code for the Pre-war Jena lens hood.

Thanks
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2019   #2
Bill Jones
Contax Lens User
 
Bill Jones is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mass USA
Posts: 99
Paul,

Does your lens have a screw thread? The Contax I version only used 42mm push on filters and hoods.
All others came with the 40.5mm thread as well as the 42mm od.

Any 40.5 mm hood will do. Vented ones give better viewing. They are available on e-bay from about $2.00.

Bill
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2019   #3
pauld111
Registered User
 
pauld111 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Jones View Post
Paul,

Does your lens have a screw thread? The Contax I version only used 42mm push on filters and hoods.
All others came with the 40.5mm thread as well as the 42mm od.

Any 40.5 mm hood will do. Vented ones give better viewing. They are available on e-bay from about $2.00.

Bill
It is not a Contax i lens per se, just a very early Pre-war lens and there is just not enough space to allow the hood to enter the lens to screw on to the thread. I have another lens with a much later serial number and it fits perfectly. I read somewhere that the earlier lenses plus the black nickel lenses specifically for Contax i use a specific hood. But I only read about this on one place

https://www.photo.net/discuss/thread...h-lens.225927/
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2019   #4
Cascadilla
Registered User
 
Cascadilla is offline
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ithaca, NY
Posts: 59
I have a few early Contax lenses that only accept 42 mm push on lens hoods and filters--a black and nickel 13.5 cm f/4 Sonnar, a black and nickel 5 cm f/2 Sonnar and a chrome 18 cm f/6.3 Tele Tessar K. I bought a Zeiss 42 mm push on hood for the 5 cm Sonnar on eBay but haven't had any luck finding any originals for the other two.
Correction--I didn't have the 5 cm f/2 in hand when I wrote this--it does have 40.5 mm threads. The other two are 42 mm push on only.

Last edited by Cascadilla : 04-02-2019 at 10:20. Reason: error in information
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2019   #5
peterm1
Registered User
 
peterm1's Avatar
 
peterm1 is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,381
If the lens fitting is for a screw on hood, and its diameter is 42mm or 43mm an alternative would be to buy a 40.5 to 42mm or 43mm step down ring. I have certainly bought the 40.5 to 43mm step up ring so I am betting the 43mm and 42mm step down one are also available though I have not checked. The cost is pennies - about $1 delivered from China. It would work with a slip fit 40.5mm hood but the hood may be less stable in use and easily knocked off.

EDIT: I am still a little confused about what the diameter actually is on your (non Contax) lens. 42mm slip fit was often used in older lenses, as was in some lens types, 40mm screw fit, 40.5 mm screw fit and 43mm screw fit. As yours is not a Contax lens I have no way of knowing which one yours matches. Just check maybe using measuring calipers so you understand exactly which internal and external diameter you are dealing with. Apart from Zeiss hoods which these days can attract a silly amount of money on eBay, Walz and other aftermarket makers sold various lens hoods back in the day and these can also be sometimes found on eBay for much less.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2019   #6
pauld111
Registered User
 
pauld111 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
If the lens fitting is for a screw on hood, and its diameter is 42mm or 43mm an alternative would be to buy a 40.5 to 42mm or 43mm step down ring. I have certainly bought the 40.5 to 43mm step up ring so I am betting the 43mm and 42mm step down one are also available though I have not checked. The cost is pennies - about $1 delivered from China. It would work with a slip fit 40.5mm hood but the hood may be less stable in use and easily knocked off.

EDIT: I am still a little confused about what the diameter actually is on your (non Contax) lens. 42mm slip fit was often used in older lenses, as was in some lens types, 40mm screw fit, 40.5 mm screw fit and 43mm screw fit. As yours is not a Contax lens I have no way of knowing which one yours matches. Just check maybe using measuring calipers so you understand exactly which internal and external diameter you are dealing with. Apart from Zeiss hoods which these days can attract a silly amount of money on eBay, Walz and other aftermarket makers sold various lens hoods back in the day and these can also be sometimes found on eBay for much less.

my lens is a Carl Zeiss Jena Nr. 2 269 492 Sonnar 1:1.5 f=5cm. The screw in type lens hood, 1119 S40,5 made in Stuttgart does not fit, too tight to reach. I have not yet tried the slip on type hood.

Thanks for the information.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2019   #7
TenEleven
Registered User
 
TenEleven's Avatar
 
TenEleven is offline
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 34
I have prewar uncoated Jena 5cm f/.5 Sonnar of similar vintage. To make matters worse the filter ring has been dented and it will not accept screw in filters or hoods. It being uncoated it really needs a hood, thus I helped myself with this:


It's a Canon Series IV hood. 42mm outer diameter. It is clamp-on, thus is a more secure fit than just push on. It doesn't vignette and works fine on my prewar Sonnar.
__________________
Manuel
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2019   #8
pauld111
Registered User
 
pauld111 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenEleven View Post
I have prewar uncoated Jena 5cm f/.5 Sonnar of similar vintage. To make matters worse the filter ring has been dented and it will not accept screw in filters or hoods. It being uncoated it really needs a hood, thus I helped myself with this:


It's a Canon Series IV hood. 42mm outer diameter. It is clamp-on, thus is a more secure fit than just push on. It doesn't vignette and works fine on my prewar Sonnar.
Wow, that looks just like what I nee ! Thanks for the idea, I will look into it now.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2019   #9
peterm1
Registered User
 
peterm1's Avatar
 
peterm1 is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,381
I am not sure if you understand if Carl Zeiss and Zeiss Jena are entirely different companies. Perhaps you understand this and this is what you are getting at when asking about what is the correct hood. It seems to me that Carl Zeiss versions of this lens and Zeiss Jena versions are certainly different in some details - possibly including filter ring diameter and hood type.

But one thing you posted put a thought into my mind that there is a possibility that something else is amiss - you said that your lens is a Carl Zeiss Jena and is prewar.. However it is my understanding that lenses marked Zeiss Jena were only made after the war, not before and was done by Russians and East Germans to avoid copyright issues upon being sued by the real Carl Zeiss company in West Germany for holding out their lenses as being Zeiss lenses. (At the end of WW2 Russia confiscated lens designs and machinery of Zeiss and began using these to replicate Zeiss lenses badged either with Russian names for the camera - Kiev or as East German Zeiss Jena lenses). Hence you can see the potential issue if your lens was sold as prewar but has a post war marking. It suggests something may be amiss in that respect and if that is so it may also be why your hood does not fit (possibly). or maybe you are just acknowledging that the Zeiss Jena lens is built to a prewar design - which is certainly true.

As you have not posted an image I cannot tell if there is something that would worry me about your lens. The following articles give some info on how to discern a fake from a real Zeiss lens and a Carl Zeiss lens from a Zeiss Jena one. Good luck.

http://www.klassik-cameras.de/Zeiss_Fakes.html

http://www.zeisscamera.com/articles_JenaContax.shtml

http://leicaphilia.com/carl-zeiss-je...1-5-for-leica/
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2019   #10
Bill Jones
Contax Lens User
 
Bill Jones is offline
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mass USA
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterm1 View Post
I am not sure if you understand if Carl Zeiss and Zeiss Jena are entirely different companies. Perhaps you understand this and this is what you are getting at when asking about what is the correct hood. It seems to me that Carl Zeiss versions of this lens and Zeiss Jena versions are certainly different in some details - possibly including filter ring diameter and hood type.

But one thing you posted put a thought into my mind that there is a possibility that something else is amiss - you said that your lens is a Carl Zeiss Jena and is prewar.. However it is my understanding that lenses marked Zeiss Jena were only made after the war, not before and was done by Russians and East Germans to avoid copyright issues upon being sued by the real Carl Zeiss company in West Germany for holding out their lenses as being Zeiss lenses. (At the end of WW2 Russia confiscated lens designs and machinery of Zeiss and began using these to replicate Zeiss lenses badged either with Russian names for the camera - Kiev or as East German Zeiss Jena lenses). Hence you can see the potential issue if your lens was sold as prewar but has a post war marking. It suggests something may be amiss in that respect and if that is so it may also be why your hood does not fit (possibly). or maybe you are just acknowledging that the Zeiss Jena lens is built to a prewar design - which is certainly true.

As you have not posted an image I cannot tell if there is something that would worry me about your lens. The following articles give some info on how to discern a fake from a real Zeiss lens and a Carl Zeiss lens from a Zeiss Jena one. Good luck.

http://www.klassik-cameras.de/Zeiss_Fakes.html

http://www.zeisscamera.com/articles_JenaContax.shtml

http://leicaphilia.com/carl-zeiss-je...1-5-for-leica/

Peter,

All Zeiss lenses made in Germany thru WW2 were marked "Carl Zeiss Jena". The post war Jena lenses followed the pre-war and war time designs and were fully compatible with all Contaxes except that the 35mm f2.8 Biogon does not fit Contax IIa and & IIIa.

Bill
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2019   #11
pauld111
Registered User
 
pauld111 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 195
According to this site:

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Carl_Zeiss_serial_numbers

My lens, Carl Zeiss Jena Nr. 2 269 492, is from 1938.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2019   #12
peterm1
Registered User
 
peterm1's Avatar
 
peterm1 is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld111 View Post
According to this site:

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Carl_Zeiss_serial_numbers

My lens, Carl Zeiss Jena Nr. 2 269 492, is from 1938.
OK my apologies.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2019   #13
mothertrucker
Registered User
 
mothertrucker's Avatar
 
mothertrucker is offline
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 167
I got one of these for my 1937 Zeiss Jena Sonnar. Screws in and looks decent.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Voigtlander....c100005.m1851
__________________
argentography.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2019   #14
Corran
Registered User
 
Corran is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,279
I have a late Contax I(f) that came with the correct black and nickel 5cm f/1.5 Sonnar. I bought a cheap 40.5mm size hood on eBay from China, and it threads on perfectly. It's even the correct pitch (I believe these are 0.5 instead of the more typical .75).

Lots of these cheap vented hoods from China are available. I also use 43mm versions on my Nikon RF stuff.

If you are looking for historically-accurate hoods...then I have no idea. I bought the cheap hood to use since the older lens is uncoated and flared in oblique light easily.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2019   #15
David Hughes
David Hughes
 
David Hughes's Avatar
 
David Hughes is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,370
Hi,


I have a CZ lens hood on my pre-war (1937 from memory) Sonnar and its code no. is 1283/15 or IFMOB, that's the screw in version, btw. The slip on version is 1281/9 or IDVEC.


Those codes came from a 1937 catalogue, the hood has just "Gew 40,5" on it and little else. If it will help identify them, it has a crackle finish.


I hope this is of some use. For years I used a 42mm slip on non-descript hood and had no problems...


Regards, David
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2019   #16
iphoenix
Registered User
 
iphoenix's Avatar
 
iphoenix is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld111 View Post
Hi,

By mistake I bought a 40.5mm Stuttgart labelled lens hood for my Pre-War Sonnar 5cm 1.5 It does not fit my lens and I am trying to find out the correct code for the Pre-war Jena lens hood.
My Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 50/2 (s/no. 2200415) came with Zeiss Ikon Stuttgart hood no. 1104, which works well (so far) but does block off part of the finder image.
It is designed to screw onto the lens with only 2 to 3 threads.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2019   #17
Philip Whiteman
Registered User
 
Philip Whiteman's Avatar
 
Philip Whiteman is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 179
Just beware that some of the cheap screw-in hoods you can find online may take a toll on the filter threads on your lens - I've used them happily, but prefer the old-model Hoya vented hood I got from a local camera store. The plated thread ring appears to be perfectly dimensioned and free of jagged micro edges that are unkind to old lenses
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2019   #18
pauld111
Registered User
 
pauld111 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 195
I eventually got a 42mm push on lens hood, which works.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2019   #19
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 30,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld111 View Post
According to this site:

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Carl_Zeiss_serial_numbers

My lens, Carl Zeiss Jena Nr. 2 269 492, is from 1938.
My Zeiss Jena 5cm 1.5 is also from 1938. I can check out the lens hood type when I get home today. It is one of my sharpest lenses. In my case, Brian may have placed the optical components into a J-3 barrel.
__________________
- Raid

________________
Top 12 Images;

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2019   #20
pauld111
Registered User
 
pauld111 is offline
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 195
Two test photos I took with the pre war Sonnar 50 with a lens hood.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VA1F95XeKUj5XYca9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3xX88DPyWNXsrEnQA
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:23.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.