Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

who would join forum?
Old 12-06-2018   #1
back alley
IMAGES

who would join forum?

a slightly twisted question...perhaps?

i'm wondering if photographers like hcb or weston or smith would join a forum if they were available to them?
would they spend their time chatting with the likes of us or be more productive by being 'out there' shooting?

any thoughts?

Old 12-06-2018   #2
John Lawrence

My gut reaction on reading this was to think 'absolutely not' - they'd be out there shooting. But then I thought again, and I suppose it really depends on whether they were 'forum type guys' or not. Some photographers are, some aren't ........

John

Old 12-06-2018   #3
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Leonardo would, he was very communicative.
Johannes Kepler, too.
And Copernicus, of course.
Ms. Merian certainly too.
And many others.
Alas, they didn't know of photography...

Back to the present:
There are very competent photographers and authors who have actually joined this forum here.

Old 12-06-2018   #4
charjohncarter

Are there any present or in the last 10 years that have joined forums that were super well known photographers? I don't know of any but this is my only place. John Sexton, McKenna, Butcher, Birnbalm, Ralph Gibson (more than a few misspelled)? are they on forums?

Old 12-06-2018   #5
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
a slightly twisted question...perhaps?

i'm wondering if photographers like hcb or weston or smith would join a forum if they were available to them?
would they spend their time chatting with the likes of us or be more productive by being 'out there' shooting?

any thoughts?
It is impossible to know of course, but it is my understanding that at certain times in history, well-known photographers gathered together in various ways to socialize, share information, talk about new gear, new methods, support each other, fight duels, critique each other's work, and so on.

It wasn't just photographers. I have read a lot about the famous artists and writers who gathered in and around Paris and New York in the 1920s, for the same reasons.

At the amateur level, camera clubs and societies filled that role pretty admirably, with camera magazines and letters-to-the-editor for shut ins and people in small towns without a cadre of shutterbugs.

What might not have happened is that the hoi polloi would not have rubbed shoulders with the famous and noted photographers. A person such as myself, for example, would not have been permitted to blow raspberries towards HCB, or even some of our more well-known members. Not that this stops me.

As a person who once ran a computer BBS in the early days of personal computers, long before this internet thing, I can say that people like to get together and chat. It seems to be a popular pastime. And birds of a feather flock together.

Old 12-06-2018   #6
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
Are there any present or in the last 10 years that have joined forums that were super well known photographers? I don't know of any but this is my only place. John Sexton, McKenna, Butcher, Birnbalm, Ralph Gibson (more than a few misspelled)? are they on forums?
If they were, they'd be clever not to say so.

Old 12-06-2018   #7
jsrockit

Eggleston might... He collects LTM leicas. Maybe he's been here.

https://petapixel.com/2013/05/23/thi...ra-collection/

But you'd have to think they would not identify themselves if they did go to forums. The modern day equivalents use Instagram though.

Old 12-06-2018   #8
CMur12

I think it would depend upon how sociable the individual photographer was, as well as whether s/he wanted to share his/her knowledge with amateurs and aspiring pros and if s/he determined this the best way to accomplish it.

My thanks to the accomplished photographers, both amateur and professional, who contribute to this forum.

- Murray

Old 12-06-2018   #9
mconnealy

Nick Brandt talked a bit about his technique in a photo.net posting a few years ago in response to some typically idiotic forum blather:

nick Brandt , Feb 23, 2006; 12:00 a.m.
A friend told me about this thread. Reading through it, I felt compelled to address some of the questions and many inaccuracies!

Firstly, 90% of my photos are taken from the safety of a vehicle. Only the chimps and one special herd of giraffes are photographed on foot. Neither I nor anyone else could ever get this close to wild animals any other way. Forget about safety - most of the animals would run away (and a few would attack).

Secondly, the depth of field issue. I'll say it categorically - NONE of the depth of field thing is done in Photoshop - it is all done in camera. You could not get those focal planes shifting in focus in the same plane in the way that they do in Photoshop and expect it to look like this. Don Satalic is soooo wrong. Oh, and I don't use soft focus lenses. Don't even know what they are. The longest lens I own and use is a 200mm. Great lens. Tried the 300 once and hated it. Too conventional. So yes, I am close, but safe.

All anyone really needs to know is that I work in a very very impractical way - very manually - and lose a crazy number of potentially great shots with all the faffing around I do. But I do it because occasionally something great comes out of such impractical methods. My friend Rocky Schenck taught me not to reveal my trade secrets some time ago. As for my EX-SF dealer's comments, I don't know where that came from.

Grading - I nearly always use a heavy ND grad for the sky, and often a red filter, to get the sky dark. But there is significant grading done in Photoshop - the vignetting is invariably photoshop - I'm a sucker for it.

Okay, so if anyone is still reading this thread, there you go.

PS What is a 'bokeh'?

Old 12-06-2018   #10
benlees

How many are on right now?

Old 12-06-2018   #11
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

Soooo, none of them ever sat around a Paris Cafe, desert bar, Yosemite Valley or brothel and chatted...???
pf

Old 12-06-2018   #12
Archiver

That question would be answered by how many big name or high level photographers are on forums right now. As for the old guard, I suspect most of them would be too busy shooting and working to be talking shop with a bunch of amateurs.

There was, rather famously, that time when Seal turned up on RFF with a digital Leica, and no one believed it was him!

Old 12-06-2018   #13
Contarama

Idk...Bill Pierce, Roger, that one dude with all the fancy bags named Joe...close enough to famous for me. Ha.

Old 12-06-2018   #14
giganova

Are today's most famous photographers on this forum? Probably not, unless they use a different name

Old 12-06-2018   #15
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
That question would be answered by how many big name or high level photographers are on forums right now. As for the old guard, I suspect most of them would be too busy shooting and working to be talking shop with a bunch of amateurs.

There was, rather famously, that time when Seal turned up on RFF with a digital Leica, and no one believed it was him!
Exactly, I was going to mention that. Seal is a musician first and photographer second, but I can't see any basis for expecting that a famous photographer would overall be treated much better if they joined the forum. For reasons I do not really follow, when some people interact with a person who is "high profile", they do not always play well. I have it on good authority that, one on one, Seal is quite charming, but he didn't stick around long after a couple of run ins with members who were, to be kind, rather crass.

Old 12-06-2018   #16
Archiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Exactly, I was going to mention that. Seal is a musician first and photographer second, but I can't see any basis for expecting that a famous photographer would overall be treated much better if they joined the forum. For reasons I do not really follow, when some people interact with a person who is "high profile", they do not always play well. I have it on good authority that, one on one, Seal is quite charming, but he didn't stick around long after a couple of run ins with members who were, to be kind, rather crass.

I wasn't at RFF at that time, but reading back over that thread was pretty bad. He loves Leica, loves photography, and was really enthusiastic about gear. Really, someone with that combination of traits could be any of us.

Old 12-06-2018   #17
BillBingham2

Respect

B2 (;->

Old 12-06-2018   #18
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Once you are into it as real thing, here is no needs for forums.

I'm not talking about weddings photogs, btw
Those are abundant at Americans populated forums.

Old 12-07-2018   #19
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarama View Post
Idk...Bill Pierce, Roger, that one dude with all the fancy bags named Joe...close enough to famous for me. Ha.
+1. Yes they are here.
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 12-07-2018   #20
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiver View Post
And RFF didn`t treat him too well either...

Old 12-07-2018   #21
David Hughes
David Hughes

I think the general answer to who would join a forum is you and me and people with time on their hands or people looking for answers and so on.

Regards, David

Old 12-07-2018   #22
icebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
Once you are really "up there" selling signed prints for like 6k+, you have built a reputation and market value for your work, you don't need any promotion via forums of "social" media. There is only risk to be had that in one emotional response post you tear down the house you built over decades and a ****storm wipes it out. Everybody in his/her right mind would be extremely careful taking these chances.

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 12-07-2018   #23
John Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Exactly, I was going to mention that. Seal is a musician first and photographer second, but I can't see any basis for expecting that a famous photographer would overall be treated much better if they joined the forum. For reasons I do not really follow, when some people interact with a person who is "high profile", they do not always play well.
... isn't it strange and ironic why this happens, when very often the charlatans are lauded to the skies!

John

Old 12-07-2018   #24
mccurleyphoto

Maybe the closest thing to a forums of the past would be the Linked Ring. Quote from Wikipedia: "The group was founded in May, 1892, by Henry Peach Robinson, former Photographic Society member George Davison, and Henry Van der Weyde.[4] The Brotherhood was "a means of bringing together those who are interested in the development of the highest form of Art of which Photography is capable." Maybe the closest thing to a "forum" at the time.

Also, the F64 group was formed by photographers of a similar mindset to share ideas, techniques, etc... Adams was a member.

The point being that famous photographers of yesteryear did participate in the "forums" of their day. A big difference being that participation was not open to the masses.

I'm not so sure today's "famous" photographers would. Most seem drawn to social media.

Old 12-07-2018   #25
Steve M.

I don't know. We'd have to ask them, and they're dead, so we'll never know, but it's not a silly question at all.

My experience w/ this is that creative types of that caliber mainly focus on themselves and their work, and they don't have the time. It's how they got to be successful. It's not smart to give away your hard earned secrets either.

When I lived in Las Cruces, NM, there was a small town just outside of it called Mesilla. It was an old farm community that was trying to make itself artsy. They had a wonderful place that was a combination B&W fine art, digital photography gallery/workshop space. One day I was talking to one of the gallery sales people and asked them if they liked working there. They replied that it was fine, and a whole lot better than dealing with painters every day. Being a painter myself (and occasional photographer) I asked them what was wrong w/ the painters. She said....."Look, they would walk into that gallery and the Mona Lisa could be hanging on the wall, they didn't care. They would not even see it, just go right up to their painting, go get me, and snarl 'Why is MY piece hanging in this crummy location!"

You need that sort of one point focus to get anywhere in the arts. There's a LOT of competition and only so much wall space. The people that you mentioned probably had that sort of mind set. Ansel Adams did make some good instructional videos toward the end of his life, and others were mentors to other photographers, but that's different.

Old 12-07-2018   #26
G Dogg

One does not truly know everyone who visits this forum. One never fully knows who is behind their pseudonyms...do we?