50mm Summilux ASPH - QUESTION
Old 11-23-2018   #1
ChicagoMatthew

50mm Summilux ASPH - QUESTION

Hey Y'all

I am looking to get the 50mm Summilux ASPH but am hesitating based on this review I read on Street Silhouettes. (link below) Basically, he says the lens design is 14 years old and he expects a newer summilux that is better suited to digital (vs film) to come out. I suppose that makes sense, but I don't see how the design could change that much.. maybe some coatings?

https://www.streetsilhouettes.com/ho...f14-summilux-m

Thanks,

Matt

Old 11-23-2018   #2
Fjäll

I would doubt a newer iteration of the Summilux would necessarily improve in quality but rather render a different look. I wouldn't think it would be worth the price difference regardless. The current version is still one of the most praised 50mm lenses as far as I'm concerned. On what camera are you planning to use this lens?

Old 11-23-2018   #3
Beemermark

How good is good? The current Summilux (which I unfortunately sold) is the best normal lens I ever used.

Old 11-23-2018   #4
ChicagoMatthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjäll View Post
I would doubt a newer iteration of the Summilux would necessarily improve in quality but rather render a different look. I wouldn't think it would be worth the price difference regardless. The current version is still one of the most praised 50mm lenses as far as I'm concerned. On what camera are you planning to use this lens?
I agree, but I am no expert... which is why I am hesitant to jump into it if there is just going to be a newer version.

I am going to use it on the 240 and the m10.

Old 11-23-2018   #5
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I have a 50 Summicron built-in hood version that rendered the finest files on the M9. That's a very "dated" lens design. Looking at the MTF charts for the new version of the 35/2 ASPH compared to the older one it appears that the changes were only to the barrel and hood. Not sure that there is much improvement possible in the Summilux ASPH, and regardless, I don't know that we'd ever be able to tell.

Old 11-23-2018   #6
aizan

if a new version of the 50mm summilux is made, i’m sure it will be significantly more expensive and only marginally improved. i’d just get the current asph now, since prices are only going up.

Old 11-23-2018   #7
telenous

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
if a new version of the 50mm summilux is made, i’m sure it will be significantly more expensive and only marginally improved. i’d just get the current asph now, since prices are only going up.
Basically, this. Leica lenses hardly need an update, they are so good. But updating them stokes the fires of consumer anxiety and gives a reason for an updated (more expensive) price tag. If I wanted one, I'd get a 50/1.4 Asph. now, even if a new one was to be introduced soon.

flickr
instagram

Old 11-23-2018   #8
presspass
filmshooter

Don't overlook the pre-aspheric 50 Summilux. Sometimes the earlier lenses with less contrast work better on digital - they give more shadow detail and don't block highlights as much. But they don't give the satisfaction of owning the latest version.