Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Scale Focus 35's

Scale Focus 35's Though not rangefinders, scale focus 35's are 1st cousins. This forum includes such popular gems as the Rollei 35's, Petri 35's, and the Olympus XA-4.

Voigtlander Vito II - takeup spool?
Old 11-23-2018   #1
Jerevan
Recycled User

Voigtlander Vito II - takeup spool?

How does the takeup spool on a Voigtlander Vito II look like?

I can't load any film in my newly acquired one - there is no way to fasten the leader. Possibly broken, I suppose.

Old 11-23-2018   #2
lynnb

I don't have a ii, but I have a Ia and a BL. On both of these there is a smooth, thick take-up spool that has a slot in it to take the leader.

Have you downloaded the manual from the Butkus site? That should have diagrams explaining film loading.
Flickr

Old 11-23-2018   #3
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

See also here:
http://mikeeckman.com/photovintage/v...ito/index.html

Quote:
Someone asked me quite a while ago how he might acquire a take-up spool for a Vito II. I didn't know what to make of the question then because my first Vito had a fixed-in-place spool. One of my recently acquired cameras however, had no spool. The advance knob just has a forked shaft that looks the same as the supply side. To run my first roll of film through the camera, I inserted a plastic spool which I borrowed from a Contaflex, and that seemed to work fine. I was tempted to take the fixed spool mechanism from my first camera to put in the newer one as it will easily fit, but I decided that repairing something not broken was likely not a good idea. I did steal the rewind knob off my older Vito for use on one of the new ones which lacked it, and I also replaced a missing light seal on the back at the hinge.

Old 11-23-2018   #4
css9450

I don't have a II either, but I have a I. Early, pre-WWII version. The takeup spool has just a tiny slot to attach the film. The slot is narrower than the narrow part on the leader of modern films, so I have to trim it to fit. There's also a lot of old, dried tape residue on the spool, so I think a lot of people have just taped the film onto it!

Old 11-23-2018   #5
Jerevan
Recycled User

Thanks for the answers, gentlemen!

I am going to trim the leader, a bit like the Leica ABLON (the arrow-like part that one inserts into the FILCAs) and see if that solves the issue. There is nothing in the manual, as far as I can see.

EDIT: Trimming the leader into an arrow-like shape with the ABLON (or freehand works too, I guess) did the trick.