Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 / 220 film RF's

120 / 220 film RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

Veriwide 100 or Lomo LCA-120 anyone?
Old 10-22-2018   #1
Huss

Veriwide 100 or Lomo LCA-120 anyone?

Got a bee in the bonnet for one of these. Anyone have any experience with the Veriwide? I'm looking at the first model with the bubble level.
It has the equivalent of an 18mm lens, on 6by10 image size.
The Lomo has the equivalent of a 21mm lens, on a 6by6 image.

Old 10-22-2018   #2
IdealCamera

I too am interested in the same subject. Awaiting people’s opinions on this.

As an alternative for Huss: Lomo Belair or Ikonta D.

Here’s a link to a terrific set of photos shot in Italy by some dude with his Lomo LCA120. I drool every time I look.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dreifa...57653757588284

Old 10-23-2018   #3
EdSawyer

The 1st version of the Veriwide is a great camera, kind of pricey but pretty unique.

Old 10-23-2018   #4
Nokton48

veriwide catalog page by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 10-23-2018   #5
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealCamera View Post
I too am interested in the same subject. Awaiting people’s opinions on this.

As an alternative for Huss: Lomo Belair or Ikonta D.

Here’s a link to a terrific set of photos shot in Italy by some dude with his Lomo LCA120. I drool every time I look.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dreifa...57653757588284
Thanks for that link! Sweet shots. I’ve seen really nice
stuff from the LCA120 but not from the BelAir.

Old 10-23-2018   #6
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
The 1st version of the Veriwide is a great camera, kind of pricey but pretty unique.
I handled one with the Leitz VF - killer view through that. Silky quiet compared to my Fuji 690iii and much smaller.

Old 10-23-2018   #7
Oren Grad

Have you seen Dante Stella's writeup on the Veriwide?

https://web.archive.org/web/20150402.../veriwide.html

Old 10-23-2018   #8
Huss

Our friend Ken Rockwell also has a decent write up:

https://kenrockwell.com/tech/vw100.htm

Old 10-23-2018   #9
Pioneer

Never tried the Veriwide but it certainly looks like a sweet idea. Can understand why you would be interested.

I personally am quite fond of the LCA-120...but you already knew that. Though it is a bit pricey I have found it to be a wonderfully light and handy camera that provides some great 6x6 images. The film advance can be a bit unreliable and will occasionally lose a frame, leaving you with 11 images on a roll of film, not 12. But I have never really found that to be a deal breaker.

Either way you go I suspect you will enjoy the camera.

Have fun and enjoy.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 10-24-2018   #10
Crazy Fedya

I don’t know anything about Lomo, but I happen to own a Brooks Veriwide 100. Mine came equipped with 47/5.6 Super Angulon. Wonderful camera, fantastic lens. I have tried using it with viewfinder, but prefer wire frame on the camera. It travels with Rolleiflex, as a companion, making fir a great team. I din’t have any images online, at least I don’t yhink so. If I come up with some, They would end up in this thread.

Old 10-24-2018   #11
Huss

The shop is holding the Veriwide 100 for me until I can come get it on Saturday... I was smitten when I handled it, but wanted to do some research before committing.

Old 10-24-2018   #12
Crazy Fedya

Good stuff! Enjoy and let us know your impressions.

Old 10-24-2018   #13
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
The shop is holding the Veriwide 100 for me until I can come get it on Saturday... I was smitten when I handled it, but wanted to do some research before committing.
For a grand or so, it's hard to beat for its size. It's more like a 21mm lens (that's what it uses for a finder). Film advance can be rickety, and no one services Compur 00 shutters anymore. But it is cool and tiny. I'd recommend finding one of those LED bullseye levels and using it in the place of the optical finder, just using the wireframe.

I'd also point out that the 47/8 SA is tiny and very sharp, but it's not a laser-hot Nikkor or Rodenstock of today.

I will get the old review of it back up this weekend.

Dante

Old 10-24-2018   #14
Emile de Leon

One of my all time fav cams..period..a mini 12x20..
Prints wide and big...glorious stuff...
I had a minor issue w/mine from the get go..but Ken Ruth on Bald Mountain (now retired) fixed it all up ..
Last time I used it was 14 years ago in Nepal with a Leica M6 and that was the perfect travel combo for me..
But the transport was getting funky there ..still got most of the frames on film though..
This one is a shelf queen right now..but who knows..I may put it back in action soon..
I don't think there are too many people that can repair it anymore..and that's a damn shame..
Great things about it..
..small and portable..beautiful lens...7 wide shots per roll..quiet..

..whos gonna repair it..
So watch out or the usual things..if its been dropped..the lens elements can separate..
I've seen them go for as low as $800-..and that's a total steal..I paid $1200- for mine..

Some India and Nepal shots below..I got excited about this thread and just converted some negatives I had in B&W ..its good for color too..real good..maybe I'll upload some color shots tomorrow..
Katmandu Nepal

Burning bodies on the Ganges India..

Ganges

India

Pokara Nepal

Ganges India

India

Temple Katmandu Nepal
This was taken right when the film transport started giving me issues for the 1st time..skipping frames etc..I wanted the shot though..no tripod.. so just placed in on the slippery floor..probably a 20sec exposure..I tried to hold the shutter button down and not move the cam much..

Me in Nepal..I handed the Veriwide to a friend..he didn't shake it..!

Old 10-24-2018   #15
Huss

Nice stuff Emile my tuna loving friend! But you are starting to freak me out, we seem to be brothers from a different mother!.

Please post more.
Re. your camera strap - I heard that those strap lugs are very very fragile and not solidly mounted. But I would like to be proven wrong.
As for the pricing, Dante mentioned $1K, you paid $1200 (but that was years ago). There's nothing at that price level anymore, not even close...

Old 10-25-2018   #16
dwojr

Huss have you thought about getting one of those modified Holga panoramic cameras? Would be a cheaper and newer camera than the Veriwide. Holgamods converts them or you can DIY if you’re handy. Kind of a different beast but sounds like the Veriwide is getting on in years.

The LCA 120 is not really comparable to the Veriwide from the looks of it. Cool camera though the frame skipping thing is an annoyance. It happens on most every roll for me.

Old 10-25-2018   #17
Emile de Leon

Quote:
Nice stuff Emile my tuna loving friend! But you are starting to freak me out, we seem to be brothers from a different mother!.

Please post more.
Re. your camera strap - I heard that those strap lugs are very very fragile and not solidly mounted. But I would like to be proven wrong.
As for the pricing, Dante mentioned $1K, you paid $1200 (but that was years ago). There's nothing at that price level anymore, not even close...
Huss,
Brothas we are!!Cam is Toooo-naaa..good...
OK..
Never had a problem w/strap lugs..but who knows..
Didn't know prices were not the same anymore..jeeze..
Here is some color..
My scanning and color skills with my crappy photo program is little to none..but these will give you a basic idea..
All chromes here..and the negs themselves are really nice in tone and sharp..
But..
Only issue with an F8 lens is...well...f8...best f stops as I remember are f11& f16...with F11 having the edge..
..but always running out of light...
This cam is not much bigger than a Leica M..
Chromes..
Home life

Little Mafia club I played in bands in back in high school in the 70's..I was underage...lol..then it became a stripper club..and then decades later ..out of business..

New Age store..Halloween..notice the edges of frame were overlapping at this point..

Selfie..back in the day..before there were cell phones..

Both together..

Good Luck!!

Old 10-25-2018   #18
JeffS7444

Lomo LCA-120's a wonderful toy camera: It weighs next to nothing, and the focus can be operated by feel. Resist the urge to press down on the shutter release unless you actually plan on taking a picture, else it will waste a frame.

I briefly owned a Belair X612 but never really bonded with it: For a toy camera, I thought it was too fiddly.

Aspect ratio-wise, I guess I struggle with anything wider than about 2:3, and feel like I need to learn some new ways to compose if I'm going to accomplish much with wider formats.

Old 10-28-2018   #19
Huss

So here it is, running a test roll through it to make sure everything is ok. Have a 7 day return policy in case it isn't.

Old 10-28-2018   #20
Huss

The manual sez the Rolleiflex strap is recommended I happen to have a spare, and it fits perfectly. But I still remember reading that the lugs are weak - on another forum someone mentioned it - and in Ken Rockwell's review he said his was missing the lugs and those holes were patched with tape.
So I'm a bit worried and sent an email to Ken Ruth (Veriwide service expert but now retired) asking if they are ok to use. Hopefully he writes back.

Old 10-28-2018   #21
Crazy Fedya

Huss,
I have put a Rollei strap on my Veriwide, and had to take it off, since one of the lugs started wobbling. Be very careful!

Old 10-28-2018   #22
Nokton48

Congrats Huss! I've wanted one for a long time. Looks really clean which frequently is not the case. Ken told me he was going to concentrate on photographing in his retirement. Sounds very good to me.

I think that the clamps on that strap might unscrew the lugs? That happened to me with a Pentacon Six. I'd figure a different way to mount a strap without clamps. With my P6 I used the leather bottom case and strapped that securely. The lugs were just not a good design.

Old 10-28-2018   #23
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Fedya View Post
Huss,
I have put a Rollei strap on my Veriwide, and had to take it off, since one of the lugs started wobbling. Be very careful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Congrats Huss! I've wanted one for a long time. Looks really clean which frequently is not the case. Ken told me he was going to concentrate on photographing in his retirement. Sounds very good to me.

I think that the clamps on that strap might unscrew the lugs? That happened to me with a Pentacon Six. I'd figure a different way to mount a strap without clamps. With my P6 I used the leather bottom case and strapped that securely. The lugs were just not a good design.
Thanks for the comments. Yeah, even though the manual says to use the Rollei strap I think I will instead use one that attaches to the tripod socket on the base plate. This camera is pretty heavy (considering) and those lugs look very undersized.
I just put on the Rollei strap for the pic, I have not actually carried it around with it. Ideally I'd like to find the original case, but no luck..

Old 10-29-2018   #24
retinax

Quote:
Thanks for the comments. Yeah, even though the manual says to use the Rollei strap I think I will instead use one that attaches to the tripod socket on the base plate. This camera is pretty heavy (considering) and those lugs look very undersized.
I just put on the Rollei strap for the pic, I have not actually carried it around with it. Ideally I'd like to find the original case, but no luck..
You could also have a custom half case made, or with lots of luck even find one for a different camera that fits.

Old 10-29-2018   #25
Nokton48

I read in an ebay ad today the guy had his Verwide serviced at Nippon Photo Clinic in NYC.
http://nipponphotoclinic.com/

Old 10-29-2018   #26
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
I read in an ebay ad today the guy had his Verwide serviced at Nippon Photo Clinic in NYC.
http://nipponphotoclinic.com/
Yeah I saw that but the receipt was from 2016. Which does not seem long ago but this guy had Nippon refuse service just this September

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread.../#post-2125998

He did get his camera repaired, and so I asked him who worked on it. Hopefully I will hear back in case it is ever needed.

Old 10-29-2018   #27
Huss

Got my first film back. Very happy. Shot directly into the low sun, no filter, no lens hood (in other test shot with a 40.5 lens hood that I happened to have, it hard vignetted like crazy).
No lens flare! Awesome.

Veriwide 100, Fuji NPS160, D850 scan

Old 10-30-2018   #28
Huss

I asked that ebay seller if he would sell me the case by ifself. Nope!
Ah well..

Old 10-30-2018   #29
Nokton48

Perhaps one of the 35mm case builders would make you a custom one? Probably a lot nicer than old original one.

47mm F8 Super Angulon is awesome!

There is an old Russian Gentlemen in NYC that fixed two of my old Plaubel Makinas, he might be familar with the Veriwide? He has a LOT of original Makina parts and old Plaubel know-how. Ask him.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REPAIR-SERV...frcectupt=true

Old 10-30-2018   #30
Emile de Leon

Congrats Huss..that looks like a super camera!
I didn't like the Rollie strap because it was old leather..so I just used a TLR plastic strap and that worked out just fine..but I think a small Billingham case is the best bet for this cam..
I have the leather case too..but its falling apart and dry rot....I would have a custom case made or just forget it and use the cam naked....
Remember..the front element is soft..very soft..so even though I hate filters..I always used one with this cam and the cap is more secure as well..and the filter makes for pretty decent artsy flare..but you are right..it clips the corners..
Remember..don't bang the front..ever..

Old 10-30-2018   #31
Nokton48

Small Super Angulon Collection by Nokton48, on Flickr

Slightly off topic, but I want to show you my collection of smallish chrome Schneider Super Angulons. At the far right, is the 47mm F8 Super Angulon, same lens you have on your Veriwide. In the middle and left, two 65mm F8 Super Angulons, with the 65mm Schneider Super Angulon Center Filter. One of these 65mm lenses in mounted on a custom made (by me!) Sinar Norma Handy camera. Above center, is the 75mm F8 Schneider Super Angulon, and a 75mm F8 Schneider Center filter. I'll bet they made a 47mm F8 center filter but I have never seen one.

These are all great lenses. On the Veriwide the 47mm F8 is a great lens.

Old 10-30-2018   #32
Crazy Fedya

Gentlemen,
I was told that Radu at 3r camera repair services most mechanical cameras, including Plaubels. Here’ his website: http://www.3rcamera.com/
I have never used him, but I know several Long Island dealers that did, and they recommended him. Apparently, he is not cheap, but who is these days.

Old 10-30-2018   #33
Taipei-metro

From Mr. de Leon
Katmandu Nepal

Burning bodies on the Ganges India..

Ganges

India

Pokara Nepal

Ganges India

India

Temple Katmandu Nepal
This was taken right when the film transport started giving me issues for the 1st time..skipping frames etc..I wanted the shot though..no tripod.. so just placed in on the slippery floor..probably a 20sec exposure..I tried to hold the shutter button down and not move the cam much..

Me in Nepal..I handed the Veriwide to a friend..he didn't shake it..!
[/quote]

Great works Mr De Leon, a Senpai!

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Senpai

Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-30-2018   #34
BillBingham2

Quote:
Yeah I saw that but the receipt was from 2016. Which does not seem long ago but this guy had Nippon refuse service just this September

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread.../#post-2125998

He did get his camera repaired, and so I asked him who worked on it. Hopefully I will hear back in case it is ever needed.
Try the Head Bartender (Stephen) to see if his guy can or if he knows a guy.

Congrats on the WONDERFUL camera. What a rocking piece of engineering.

B2 (;->

Old 10-30-2018   #35
Nokton48

I'd also ask Frank Rubio at "The Camera Doctor" in NYC. Frank worked repairs for Lens & Repro in Manhattan for thirty years, and I'll wager he's seen a few Veriwides in his time. Worth a shot. This year he CLA'ed one of my prized Makiflex cameras and did a good job. He's in the same building with Geoff Berliner of "The Penumbra Institute" a photo learning center of some repute. Geoff might know somebody, we are Makiflex Buds. He has literally thousands of cameras.

Old 10-30-2018   #36
Huss

Thanks for the tips. This is for future reference once a service may come due.

Old 11-04-2018   #37
Huss

Ok I have attached a Peak Design strap to the tripod socket. Is this considered safe or can it cause damage having the camera's weight hanging from that one point?

Old 11-05-2018   #38
Emile de Leon

Just looked at mine..bottom looks pretty tough..but perhaps not tough enough for me to want to take a chance on it..Rolliefix will attach..maybe thats a better way..

Old 11-05-2018   #39
Huss

I think that no matter what method I use, I will also hold the camera so there is no weight on the hanging points. The strap is just there so in case I drop it, it wont fall to the ground.
I just shot another roll yesterday (easy to do with only 7 exposures!) and I just love this camera. I can't quite put my finger on why, but just looking through that finder is so cool.
The soft release feel of the shutter, along with the quiet click is so much more pleasant than my Fuji GW690III.

Old 11-05-2018   #40
Emile de Leon

This is what a MF wide angle should be! The only other one I considered was the Linhof 6x12..but its a lot bigger..
Post some more shots Huss..I'll see what I have in the next few days too...