AGFA Vista is no more
Old 03-09-2018   #1
karateisland

AGFA Vista is no more

Given the love for kodak and B&W on this forum, I don't know if anyone else cares as much as I do, but Bellamy at JCH is reporting that AGFA Vista is going to the big development lab in the sky. No surprise since it's an open secret that the stock was made by Fuji, who is getting out of the analog game in a big way.

https://www.japancamerahunter.com/20...akes-dirt-nap/

A shame, really, as it's the first 35mm color film I've ever really loved.

Old 03-09-2018   #2
charjohncarter

Too bad, the choices are narrowing.

Old 03-09-2018   #3
NeonKnight

What a bummer. CTprecisa 100 is one of my favorite films.

Old 03-09-2018   #4
Ted Striker

This is a marketing company dying, not a film company. This film is made by Fujifilm and is still available as C200. Who cares if a marketing company dies??

Old 03-09-2018   #5
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by karateisland View Post
Bellamy at JCH is reporting....... No surprise since it's an open secret that the stock was made by Fuji, who is getting out of the analog game in a big way.

https://www.japancamerahunter.com/20...akes-dirt-nap/
At least we can be assured that Bellamy will continue to ride his “Fuji-is-the-enemy pony as long as he can get away with it.

Old 03-09-2018   #6
karateisland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
This is a marketing company dying, not a film company. This film is made by Fujifilm and is still available as C200. Who cares if a marketing company dies??

I do! Because it doesn't bode well for the future of C200 or other Fuji-made consumer films.

Old 03-09-2018   #7
Archiver

Not cool! For all the talk of film photography having a resurgence and new films being released, what's up with an inexpensive and decent quality film being discontinued?

Old 03-09-2018   #8
dmr
Registered Abuser

Agfa Vista has not been Agfa Vista for several years now! IIAC it's just rebranded plain vanilla drug store Fuji.

Old 03-09-2018   #9
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karateisland View Post
I do! Because it doesn't bode well for the future of C200 or other Fuji-made consumer films.
Presumably those who like AGFA Vista will purchase C200 when Agfa Vista is no longer available, so the net number of rolls sold would remain the same.

Old 03-09-2018   #10
karateisland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Presumably those who like AGFA Vista will purchase C200 when Agfa Vista is no longer available, so the net number of rolls sold should remain the same.
I mean that it gives me more reason to believe that Fuji will discontinue C200 a well. Not a sure thing, of course, but it's not exactly building my confidence!

In the meantime, I'll shoot the hell out of C200...

Old 03-10-2018   #11
bluesun267

No I don't think the disappearance of the Agfa Vista brand spells doom for Fuji products.

They (Fuji) are merely doing what Ilford and Kodak have already been doing for several years, that is, not selling their film stock for re-branding.

Not too long ago one could buy Tri-X and Plus-X disguised as Legacy Premium from Freestyle at fairly deep discount (and probably others in various parts of the world) and before that, Ilford FP4 and HP5. As well as a panoply of color negative made by Fuji, Kodak and Ferrania for the various drugstore house brands, etc.

I think the manufacturers are trying to save themselves by not undercutting themselves. In prior times there was enough quantity sold that such practices didn't make a noticeable dent in sales of the original product but now things are different. Why would any film manufacturer basically donate their profit margin to some entity that merely prints boxes and canister labels? (And I suspect ,in this case, the so-called "AgfaPhoto" company didn't even do that much).

Old 03-10-2018   #12
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
At least we can be assured that Bellamy will continue to ride his “Fuji-is-the-enemy pony as long as he can get away with it.
Fujifilj has richly earned their reputation.

Old 03-10-2018   #13
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Fuji can shut him up (with introducing a new film or, I don't know, go a year without discontinuing films) at any time. Unfortunately,...

Let's say that AgfaPhoto got Provia 100F, C200 and C400 film from Fuji really cheap and they sold a ton of it. What will happen when Fuji stops supplying AgfaPhoto? Will Fuji's profit from film go up or down? Film production up/down?

This could be a good thing for long term film production at Fuji (keeping smaller production that needs to bring in higher margins - no relabelling deals that get you very thin margins). It could also mean the end is nearer than we thought (selling the rest for as high a price the market can swallow).

One thing is sure, Fuji will definitely not give any information to their customers about direction they are going.

Old 03-11-2018   #14
jarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
Fujifilj has richly earned their reputation.
How so ?

Old 03-11-2018   #15
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesun267 View Post
...I think the manufacturers are trying to save themselves by not undercutting themselves. In prior times there was enough quantity sold that such practices didn't make a noticeable dent in sales of the original product but now things are different. Why would any film manufacturer basically donate their profit margin to some entity that merely prints boxes and canister labels? (And I suspect ,in this case, the so-called "AgfaPhoto" company didn't even do that much).
Exactly, a while ago I could buy C200 for a little under 6 pounds or walk a few yards to the other side of the mall and by Agfa for a pound. I had to stop when my wife complained about the 'fridge being filled up as I'd buy a dozen whenever I was near a Poundland.

You can guess the profit level and then there were the 5 for 10 pounds or more sellers on ebay...

Regards, David

Old 03-11-2018   #16
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Exactly, a while ago I could buy C200 for a little under 6 pounds or walk a few yards to the other side of the mall and by Agfa for a pound....
Seeing this price difference, I think it's perfectly feasible that Fuji will keep C200 once Vista is gone and revenues from C200 go up.

Let's wait and see what happens.

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 03-11-2018   #17
bucs

I love agfa vista 400. Guess I'm switching back to superia 400

I hope they don't kill the industrial also.

Old 03-11-2018   #18
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

I have shot some Vista 400 (exp 2018) and the colour palletes look different from Fuji superia 400. I'm not sure that it is simply repackaged Fuji.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 03-11-2018   #19
Faintandfuzzy

Fuji Superia/Industrial 400 is my goto. Last time I was in Shinjuku, I bought a blx of 100 rolls to ship home. Great stuff.

Old 03-11-2018   #20
bucs

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgICqZ4lFBq/

Bye fuji industrial

Old 03-11-2018   #21
Faintandfuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucs View Post
I've got a box of 100 rolls on its way again. 😁

Old 03-11-2018   #22
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Still buy-able on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...a+400&_sacat=0

I just read the article in OP's link and I find it overall very vague and full of rumbling.

I mean you can still buy it, and majority of the people always buy it online since it is not a film you can buy in a real shop in, I dare say, most of the countries in the world. Just buy it and use it and don't try anything to hype the price up.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 03-11-2018   #23
Huss

I love this film. I bought 100 rolls when Adorama was selling it at $1.49/36. I since have bought more off ebay.

Voigtlander Vitessa 50 f2, C200:

Old 03-11-2018   #24
minnichphoto

AGFA Vista 200

Old 03-11-2018   #25
bluesun267

My favorite Fuji Color Neg was the old CN100 (I believe that was the designation). No Superia, just plain old Fuji 100. It was available in 35 & 120 also and had really rich, vibrant colors.

It is possible Vista is not exactly the same emulsion. But that (along with re-branding) is also a throwback to the good old days when volume would allow runs of slightly different films of the same speed.

Kodak & Fuji have angered me almost equally in their product discontinuations.

Which is worse? Loss of all color reversal and Plus-X from Kodak; or loss of all motion picture stock and Neopan 400 & 1600 from Fuji? (just to name some high profile examples). Choose your poison.

But I thank Fuji for single-handedly keeping me in slide film for the past 5 years. Bellamy's tirades are misguided in view of that BIG positive (pun intended).

Re-introducing P3200 and Ektachrome, now Kodak are getting toward making me less angry.

Old 04-10-2018   #26
robertofollia

Location: Laredo (northern Spain. Wide beach and nice weather -when it does not rain, you know-
Very sad news. Ordered just 50 rolls, and may order some more to keep stocks for the forthcoming years.
I have shot Original Vista, Ferrania Vista an CN200 Vista. Prefer original Vista, but love CN200 vista and will be sad to see it go.
Don't know what will happen to fuji's range of films but CN200 does not appear there, only superia
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/fil...lms/index.html
Might Kodak be the only remaining film manufacturer in colour film?
Best regards