Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

Leica M and the antithesis: tripods
Old 07-10-2017   #1
Jerevan
Recycled User

Leica M and the antithesis: tripods

A Leica and a tripod - it seems the legend is that a Leica is on the go, in the moment - nothing pre-planned, especially now that films and lenses can help you make photographs in near-darkness.

Does anyone of you actually use a tripod in your work, more than as a last resort?

If so, it would be nice to see setups and even better, photographs made with the help of a tripod.

Old 07-10-2017   #2
Vince Lupo

The only time that I've really been using a tripod with my Leica M's is doing self portraits while on the road. I just carry a small, lightweight Manfrotto tripod that can extend to a decent height (if I'm traveling by car), otherwise it's just a little tabletop tripod that I always have in my bag.

Sorry, digital M not film M. Don't hate me

On 38B
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Actually, here is another shot that required a tripod. I'm on the service road that's adjacent to I-40, west of Albuquerque. It was a Sunday afternoon and I noticed that there were a bunch of motorcyclists on the road that day. I thought it would be great to get one of them riding down the highway, and I'd have to time it so that I could keep pace with them on the service road. I set my tripod up in the car, between the driver's seat and the inside of the driver's window, and pre-focused and framed my camera and had a relatively slow shutter speed (think it was 1/30th). I ended up following this fellow and just kept clicking without looking through the viewfinder. Think I ended up with about 15 shots, and this was the best one.

Rockin' Down the Highway
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/

'Mapping the West' - Named as one of the Best Photo Exhibits of 2016 by the Washington City Paper: http://www.directiononeinc.com/mapping-the-west/

Old 07-10-2017   #3
jsrockit

I love that Vince... very cool photo.

Old 07-10-2017   #4
aizan

look at lewis baltz's photos. he shot on a tripod and used a 35mm pre-asph summilux.

i rarely use a tripod with a 35mm rangefinder, but i have the little arca swiss plate just in case.

Old 07-10-2017   #5
Robert Lai

This thing about not using tripods with a Leica M is pure garbage. They put that tripod socket in there for a reason.

I use my M with a tripod all the time. I have to, as my favorite venue now is to take pictures in the woods. Exposure times of 1 second to 1/8 second are common. I use ISO 25 film for these. The beauty of this is that the Leica is so small and light that a tripod such as the Gitzo GT1541 is lots of support. I use the new Arca Swiss Monoball P0 (looks like a can on top of the tripod) with this. Great, stable setup. With my big Nikon and telephoto lenses in the past I needed the 3 series Gitzo tripod for stability.

Sorry, no pictures yet, as I've just sent some rolls off.

Old 07-10-2017   #6
Leica All Day

I actually carry a small Leica table top tripod with me every time I go on a trip. I don't use it a whole lot, but it does come in handy when I need it.

I shot this photo while it was raining in Yangon, Myanmar with my 90mm Summicron lens.
[/url]

I shot this self portrait in a small rural hotel in Cambodia. I paid about 4 USD for this room and the man insisted that I park my motorcycle inside my room so nobody would steal it, I used a flash for this photos as well....Leica + tripod + flash....classic set up
[url=[/IMG]

cheers, michael

Old 07-10-2017   #7
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
A Leica and a tripod - it seems the legend is that a Leica is on the go, in the moment - nothing pre-planned, especially now that films and lenses can help you make photographs in near-darkness.

Does anyone of you actually use a tripod in your work, more than as a last resort?
Wouldn't it depend on what you're taking pictures of?

Two nights ago was the full moon. I spent half the night doing four-minute exposures by moonlight. Indeed, I used a tripod.

I dunno; if I had an M, maybe I wouldn't need the tripod?

Old 07-10-2017   #8
zuiko85

Don't like tripods but.....sometimes, in dim light what ya gonna do. Especially if there is no convenient other support and you are down to 1/15 sec or less. Talking film of course, digital users will have a different experience. My go to tripod is a compact Slik.

Old 07-10-2017   #9
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lai View Post
This thing about not using tripods with a Leica M is pure garbage. They put that tripod socket in there for a reason.

I use my M with a tripod all the time. ...
Same here. You will never get the most out of an ultrawide lens in particular without a rock-steady tripod.

G

Old 07-10-2017   #10
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lai View Post

I use my M with a tripod all the time...
Exactly and I use it with other cameras...

Old 07-10-2017   #11
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

This!
And I've been shopping for an M2 without a self timer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lupo View Post
The only time that I've really been using a tripod with my Leica M's is doing self portraits while on the road.

On 38B
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Old 07-10-2017   #12
Jerevan
Recycled User

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidnewtonguitars View Post
This!
And I've been shopping for an M2 without a self timer...
Nothing that an Auto-Knips or similar device can't take care of ...

Old 07-10-2017   #13
creenus

Leica cameras, Leitz tripod. =)

This tripod extends to 6 feet, and I am 6'2", so it works well - no more hunching over a camera, something I loathe. Nothing worse than getting a stiff neck, IMO.

Aluminum, rugged, almost indestructible, about $100 used. They still make them. Nothing to dislike.

I carry it in my car, so weight is not a problem.

When traveling light, there's my Leitz monopod - Leica all the way!

Old 07-10-2017   #14
BillBingham2

I used the Leitz Table Top and Large Ball Head from time to time. Minolta came out with a copy (one piece) that I used too. More with my SLRs than with my RFs. When I pressed my RF cameras into a support (e.g. light pole, wall) I was able to get acceptable steadiness buy putting a handkerchief between the camera and the object.

Used a tripod on a couple of closeup shots, again with my SLRs.

B2 (;->

Old 07-10-2017   #15
johank

Leitz table top and a Ross Ballhead makes fine companjon in the Bag and when I need it it have solved many long exposure promblems, not only from Tabletops but Carroofs and against Trees and Posts. Higly reccomendable for any Camera brand.

Old 07-10-2017   #16
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

The Pinhole cap with laser drilled equivalent of 28mm f156 lens on Leica and Leica on the tripod.

For WPPD 2017. by Kostya Fedot, on Flickr

If you have 90mm and longer lens, you could set it on shore with heavy waves at the safe distance. Pre-focus, pre-frameon the spot and wait for action. Tripod is best solution for it. Any action were it is predictable is easier with this method.

Old 07-10-2017   #17
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johank View Post
Leitz table top and a Ross Ballhead makes fine companjon in the Bag and when I need it it have solved many long exposure promblems, not only from Tabletops but Carroofs and against Trees and Posts. Higly reccomendable for any Camera brand.
I would add in a small cable release too.

B2 (;->

Old 07-10-2017   #18
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
The Pinhole cap with laser drilled equivalent of 28mm f156 lens on Leica and Leica on the tripod.

Very beautiful.

Old 07-10-2017   #19
Richard G

Eisenstaedt, framing the shot with a Leica on a tripod, was interrupted by a passerby. "What shutter speed?" "1/60s". "Gee, I could hand hold that and could manage without a tripod." "So could I, but I don't know what use this photo might be put to, and if it's a billboard or on the side of a truck it will be better that it is as sharp as possible.

I see this to be all the more critical with digital. Try stabilizing the camera on a tripod or ledge or against a window even with a 28 at 1/25s and the results are noticeably better. And I'm quite happy trying 1/2s hand- held when I have to.

What's worse is that a tiny Leica needs a sturdier tripod to keep it still. I also love my 40 year old Leitz tabletop tripod which is very sturdy.

Old 07-10-2017   #20
Daryl J.

My well worn M4-2 I purchased used has the most patina on the tripod socket area. And it is never without the Leitz Tabletop along now that I've owned it for a while.

Old 07-10-2017   #21
nickthetasmaniac

I do, but not regularly. Generally if I'm shooting film on a tripod it will be the Autocord, or the LX if I'm using 35mm. But occasionally I do mount up the M2...

Portra400

Velvia50

Acros100

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 07-10-2017   #22
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Very beautiful.
Thank you. It was very cold wind to work exposure on tripod.

Old 07-11-2017   #23
michaelwj
----------------

I use a tabletop quite a bit (Manfrotto 209 legs with an FLM CB-18 head - you need the different screw in the legs to fit the head). It comes in handy for self-portraits and small group/family shots. One reason why I prefer the M4 over the M6, the self-timer is invaluable.

But I also use a standard size tripod a bit. I have the RRS plate for the film M bodies, but only put it on when I'm going to use the tripod.

An oldie, 30 sec, T-Max 100, CV 2.5/35M

Old 07-11-2017   #24
Sid836

I just carry with me a grizzly bean bag. With my other cameras I don't mind using a tripod, but I would die seeing the bottom plate of my Leicas scratched by the tripod.

Old 07-11-2017   #25
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos72 View Post
I just carry with me a grizzly bean bag. With my other cameras I don't mind using a tripod, but I would die seeing the bottom plate of my Leicas scratched by the tripod.
That comes from people using the wrong tripod.

Old 07-11-2017   #26
Sid836

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
That comes from people using the wrong tripod.
But it is well suited to people never using tripods.

Old 07-11-2017   #27
Robert Lai

I use an Arca-Swiss style compatible tripod plate on the camera. I have ones by Kirk, Really Right Stuff, and Acratech. You then have up to 1cm of aluminum (hollowed out) protecting the baseplate from any possible damage.

Old 07-11-2017   #28
Chris101
summicronia

Quote:
... it would be nice to see setups and even better, photographs made with the help of a tripod.
I used this table-top rig:

to shoot a series of sciencey stuff:

Old 07-11-2017   #29
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
I use a tabletop quite a bit (Manfrotto 209 legs with an FLM CB-18 head - you need the different screw in the legs to fit the head). It comes in handy for self-portraits and small group/family shots. One reason why I prefer the M4 over the M6, the self-timer is invaluable.

But I also use a standard size tripod a bit. I have the RRS plate for the film M bodies, but only put it on when I'm going to use the tripod.

An oldie, 30 sec, T-Max 100, CV 2.5/35M

That's a lovely photograph!

G

Old 07-11-2017   #30
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos72 View Post
Why would your Leica M be any different from any other camera in this regard?

Old 07-11-2017   #31
willie_901

Another legend "a Leica is on the go, in the moment - nothing pre-planned" meets the Grim Reaper.

Or, from the Certs Twins' timeless, mid-century TV ad dialog:

"'Certs is a candy mint'.
'No, Certs is a breath mint'.
And then the voice-over tells them/us:
'Stop, you're both right!'"
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 07-11-2017   #32
narsuitus

Quote:
Yes, tabletop

Tabletop tripod by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 07-11-2017   #33
Jerevan
Recycled User

Obviously, my intial musings relates to the Leica M - in any other case, I am of the "as big as I can carry" school if I
have to schlepp a tripod around.

a) I need to get a smaller tripod - the tripod head I have (Manfrotto 3047 / 229 Pro head) weighs more than the camera.
I do know that from the sturdy and light and cheap combination you only get to choose two.

b) wide or ultrewide: I prefer straight horizons. I have only thought of say, a Super-Angulon, as something you handhold.

c) Iso 25 film in a Leica sounds interesting ... I need to see if I can do something with Pan F+ or Velvia in the future.

d) anticipation as Kostya mentions is a good thing too - I guess many older photographs (1930-40s)
are either staged or at least anticipated, given relatively slow films and many lenses (not all) being a bit slower.

Just love the photographs - good to see - keep'em coming!

Old 07-11-2017   #34
ferider

Not the antithesis for me.

Roland.

Old 07-11-2017   #35
Sid836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Why would your Leica M be any different from any other camera in this regard?
My other cameras, the ones I use with tripods, have scratched bottom plates. I always give a little more care to the cameras I love most and my M is one of them.

Old 07-11-2017   #36
TennesseJones

Just leave this here.
Forgot a filter.
Had sunglasses...

Old 07-11-2017   #37
TennesseJones

This poster image and book cover was taken on a tripod.
M9, 50mm.

Old 07-11-2017   #38
David Hughes
David Hughes

This little outfit does the trick a lot of the time...

Regards, David

Old 07-11-2017   #39
Ronald M

Panoramas best done on tripod.

Night scenes.

Any camera at ss < 1/1000 unless you are well braced or very careful.

Old 07-11-2017   #40
rfaspen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post

Kostya,
This is a lovely image!
When did you get a pinhole cap for M? Actually, I'm interested in where you got the pinhole cap for M. I remember seeing one on ebay a long while ago, but I wasn't interested then. This photo makes me think I should look into pinhole photography on the M camera.