Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Hexar AF resurrection
Old 04-26-2017   #1
02Pilot
Malcontent

Hexar AF resurrection

I was the happy recipient of the deceased Hexar AF Rhodium that was generously offered free for the taking in the classifieds here not long ago by md2008. The camera appeared to be quite lifeless on first examination, but I was able to find a discussion of a similar failure and successful repair on a blog run by one jabcam (https://jabcam.wordpress.com/2016/08...from-the-dead/), and having little to lose, I opened up the camera, did some tests, and applied the fix. The Hexar is now back to life, and seemingly none the worse for wear.

Thanks again to md2008 for making the camera available, and to jabcam (not sure if he's a user here or not), whose blog post provided the solution.

The full, probably overly wordy tale of my experience thus far with the Hexar AF is here: https://filmosaur.wordpress.com/2017...ar-af-rhodium/

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 04-26-2017   #2
02Pilot
Malcontent

And a sample shot from the test roll:

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Old 04-26-2017   #3
ferider

Oh, wow. Great photo, and impressive that you found/applied that PCB fix. You're motivating me to take my AF out again - just a plain silver one, not the cool Rhodium version that you have though

Roland.

Old 04-26-2017   #4
KismetSky

Very cool! So glad to hear the Hexar went to someone willing to try fixing it rather than just cannibalizing it for the lens. Congrats on the successful resurrection!

Old 04-26-2017   #5
02Pilot
Malcontent

Yep, I'm glad it worked out. It's a pretty camera.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Old 04-26-2017   #6
bucs

I have a dead black hexar with data back. Wish I had the guts to open mine too

Old 04-26-2017   #7
02Pilot
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucs View Post
I have a dead black hexar with data back. Wish I had the guts to open mine too
Check out the site I linked to. If you've got a multimeter and a soldering iron, it's not a terribly difficult fix, but it does require steady hands and good eyesight (or magnifiers). If it's dead, what have you got to lose?

-Hunter S. Thompson
-

Old 04-27-2017   #8
md2008

Thank for posting the update!

Old 04-27-2017   #9
Richard G

Very well done. I've done the shutter button fix on mine, but it's a long time since I used a soldering iron.

Old 04-27-2017   #10
splitimageview

Soldering iron is warming up...

Old 04-27-2017   #11
02Pilot
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Very well done. I've done the shutter button fix on mine, but it's a long time since I used a soldering iron.
I'm no electronics expert, believe me. I found the upper soldering point to be easier to access but (for whatever reason) harder to get the solder to melt. The lower point on the bottom of the capacitor is much trickier to get at (you have to hold the PCB up at more of an angle than feels comfortable) but the solder there melted almost instantly. I did the top one first, snaked the wire through the hole by the screw post, and then did the lower point. Pretty straightforward once you see it in person.

Quote:
Soldering iron is warming up...
Good luck! Did you check to see that you have voltage at the upper soldering point but not at pin 3 of the LB8620? Make sure your grounds are good too as long as you're in there.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-