Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Film vs digital cameras at PhotoLA
Old 01-16-2017   #1
Huss

Film vs digital cameras at PhotoLA

I participated at the PhotoLA event the last few days and it was interesting to see the mix of cameras being carried around by people visiting.
I would say that about 10% of the cameras I saw were film cameras, some Leicas but mostly old Nikon SLRs and one Bessa R3A and a Contax G2. Two were 'mature' photographers, the rest were in the 18-30 age range. And none fit the 'hipster' proflle, they just looked like students and/or regular Joes/Josephines.

It seems that observations like this is why Kodak is re-introducing film.

Old 01-16-2017   #2
aizan

did you see a guy with a chrome mp on saturday?

the bummer is that you rarely see people taking photos with their film cameras. all around you, people are snapping away with cellphones, but the film shooters hold back to save money, making every shot count. it really is more of a fashion accessory.

anyhow, looking forward to camera spotting at the march on saturday!

Old 03-22-2017   #3
mani

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
the bummer is that you rarely see people taking photos with their film cameras. ...it really is more of a fashion accessory.
Just saw this at random and it reminded me why RFF is full of such a huge pile of...

PS: in the real world - dropped off 12 rolls of Portra at Teamframkallning here in Stockholm on Monday and had to stand in line again. Think it's the only time I don't mind queueing.

Old 03-22-2017   #4
SaveKodak

The "hipster" label is about 5 years out of date in general, but people...keep...saying...it! Seriously, I lived in Williamsburg Brooklyn, the epicenter of hipsterdom from say 2003-2009. It's over. The fanny packs are gone, the PBRs have been replaced with some pretty fantastic craft beers, and (as it relates to this discussion) impractical analog fashion statements have been replaced with very practical analog alternative choices.

Maybe at one time people bought vinyl records because it was cool, but now they do it because if you're going to own a physical music medium, a record has the best balance of packaging, playback, and displayibility at home. They sound great, they look great, and you probably have Spotify already when you're on-the-go. Throwing away paper plates is easier than washing china, but at Thanksgiving, we don't use disposable plates. Are house-wives hipsters because they put china on their registry?

If you're interested in photography beyond the usual consumer level, why not shoot film? It's easy to get scans, the images look great, the cameras and film are relatively cheap, and they're fun to use. Plus if you don't know a lot about using LR/PS, film already looks more interesting than your average raw file or jpeg. Pro and advanced amatures have their own equally good reasons to do so. I shoot a lot of digital images for work, but I see no reason to do so for my personal work. For straight photography there is nothing interesting about a digital image beyond it's efficiency.

So while there was a time when a small group of young people were using film cameras as part of a larger statement about fashion and culture, this has largely gone away. Digital is mature, film is beyond mature. It's no more 'odd' to choose a Rolleiflex than it is to enjoy horseback riding or oil painting. So yeah, Ektachrome is coming back! I predict someday there may even be an FM4, or F7.

For me, I just want the Rollei FX-N back in production.

Old 03-22-2017   #5
Steve M.

I live in St Petersburg Fl, which is in the Tampa Bay area. It's a rapidly developing area (to put it mildly), and we get tons of tourists and have a home grown art scene that, while poor in quality compared to places like New York, Chicago or even Albuquerque, is really thriving. I've been into photography for decades, and all of it film and B&W. In the 1.5 years I have lived here, as well as the 4 years in Daytona Beach previous to this, the number of film cameras I have seen w/ people while out and about comes to the grand total of.....one.

Before Daytona I lived 4 years in Las Cruces, New Mexico. New Mexico is an amazingly photographic and art related place, and in L.C. over the course of those four years I saw a total of 4 film cameras on the street (one per year), one of them being an 8x10 LF camera that a friend who owned an art gallery and renowned camera collection was shooting. Almost every day I am out on my bike and in the mix everywhere I live.

So, 9 1/2 years and I have seen 5 film cameras in the streets in 3 different cities. Two of those cities have been very high tourist destinations, and the third city was in a state known for photography and painting w/ some of the best natural light and scenic landscapes you will ever find. In my world, film cameras may as well be the Dodo bird.

Old 03-22-2017   #6
Skiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani View Post
PS: in the real world - dropped off 12 rolls of Portra at Teamframkallning here in Stockholm on Monday and had to stand in line again. Think it's the only time I don't mind queueing.
Do you mean this lab:
http://www.teamframkallning.se/

Can you recommend them?

Old 03-22-2017   #7
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
I live in St Petersburg Fl, which is in the Tampa Bay area. It's a rapidly developing area (to put it mildly), and we get tons of tourists and have a home grown art scene that, while poor in quality compared to places like New York, Chicago...
I live in the Chicago area and about the only film cameras I see are young guys with Polaroids. Every time I go downtown or to Lakeview on the subway there's at least one.

I just got back from Florida and the only film camera I saw there was a Speed Graphic press camera! Interesting and random.

Old 03-22-2017   #8
aizan

Quote:
Just saw this at random and it reminded me why RFF is full of such a huge pile of...
we all know the internet is a great place for venting frustration and anger. i've been there before, lots of people have. maybe hanging out at RFF is not healthiest idea for you at this time. if there's a big film photography community in your area, i would focus on being active within those circles. it's as simple as that!

Old 03-22-2017   #9
Huss

I see film cameras all over LA. If they are being used by kids I'll often give them a roll of film if I have any extras with me. Which I usually do.

Old 03-22-2017   #10
Hatchetman

Funny I find a $5000 camera more of a fashion accessory when an iPhone can take the same photos.

Old 03-22-2017   #11
Paul T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
Funny I find a $5000 camera more of a fashion accessory when an iPhone can take the same photos.
The same? Really the same?

If we're sometimes exotic, I'm often shamed when my wife takes a better photo on her iPhone than I do on my Fuji. But as for 'the same' photos. No.

Old 03-22-2017   #12
Hatchetman

the assertion went further: real photographers were busy with their cellphones while the poseurs had film cameras.

Old 03-22-2017   #13
mani

I saw 2 film cameras on my walk to lunch just today - about 600 meters on an admittedly touristy street in the center of town. Saw no DSLRs, but typically I'll see 2 or 3 on a normal day. In the same span of time I'll see hundreds of people taking pictures with their cellphones.

Skiff: I can highly recommend Teamframkallning - great place to deal with, and handles a large proportion of the other lab's developing in this town.

Quote:
we all know the internet is a great place for venting frustration and anger. i've been there before, lots of people have. maybe hanging out at RFF is not healthiest idea for you at this time. if there's a big film photography community in your area, i would focus on being active within those circles. it's as simple as that!
I enjoyed the put-down from aizan - but I'd rather RFF focused on the positive instead of being full of grumpy, negative old men.
So maybe it'd be better for everyone if some of those people would consider taking a break from the forum?

Old 03-22-2017   #14
Skiff

Quote:
Skiff: I can highly recommend Teamframkallning - great place to deal with, and handles a large proportion of the other lab's developing in this town.
Thank you very much!
I am planning a trip to Stockholm later this year, that is the main reason I have asked.
Do you know whether they are also developing E6?
I cannot find that service on their home page....

Old 03-22-2017   #15
aizan

Quote:
I enjoyed the put-down from aizan - but I'd rather RFF focused on the positive instead of being full of grumpy, negative old men.
So maybe it'd be better for everyone if some of those people would consider taking a break from the forum?
yeah, but you resurrected a zombie thread to trash RFF for the umpteenth time. scraping the barrel for another excuse to vent is a sign to tune out for a while.

anyhow, take it for what it is. i'm putting you on my ignore list, and you should probably do the same!

Old 03-22-2017   #16
rfaspen

Well...... I thoroughly enjoy RFF. Even when I read unkind comments. I think its simply a lack of perspective to say RFF is full of bologna based on the experience of one location on our somewhat large planet: I'm very glad to hear film is popular in Sweden, but I've noticed a lot of variability in film presence over the world.

In the US, where I spend most of my time, film appears most popular on the E-W coasts. All of the west coast (Southern California, Bay area, Portland Oregon, Seattle and Vancouver, BC) and mostly the NE on the east coast (NYC, Ithaca, Boston, even Portland Maine). Interior US is spotty, but I haven't encountered the same level of film popularity as the above mentioned.

I was surprised to see little film presence in DC. Travel around south Florida yielded absolutely no film sightings. My film camera was surprisingly popular in Key West though... bummed I botched those exposures.

Outside the US, I've seen film cameras in Wales (a little surprising) but don't recall any sightings in Ireland. It was difficult to find film in Ireland....found some in Dublin and Lisdoonvarna(?) I forgot to look for film in London but I do know that if you ask the security in Heathrow to hand-check your film instead of sending them through the X-ray, they will grab your bag of film and toss it on the belt into the X-ray, and they will double zap it as it goes through. The rudest airport security I've encountered world-wide.

My last trip eastern Europe (Czech, Bulgaria, Romania) was film free (other than myself). My last few visits to Latin America (mainly Mexico) also without many film sightings. I did see some SLRs in La Paz some years ago.

I feel a need to investigate film popularity in New Zealand. All in the name of science, I make the sacrifice.

Old 03-22-2017   #17
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
Can an iphone accidentally double expose an overexposed out of focus shot, and then make you wait 2 weeks before you realize you did that?

Old 03-22-2017   #18
Huss

Quote:
yeah, but you resurrected a zombie thread ..
Hey the last post was only 3 months ago. That hardly makes it a zombie thread.
A rancid thread? Perhaps.

Old 03-22-2017   #19
Ranchu
-

Jesus, I had no idea the hipster label was that out of date.

Old 03-22-2017   #20
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchu View Post
Jesus, I had no idea the hipster label was that out of date.

The way they've aged, it's more like broken hipster.

Old 03-22-2017   #21
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

If you happen to come across some guy with a Mamiya m645 and a back pack in the downtown part of LA...that's me...
pf

Old 03-22-2017   #22
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
I feel a need to investigate film popularity in New Zealand. All in the name of science, I make the sacrifice.

I have it on good authority from my sister who lives in Auckland that they are still trying to figure out the lithograph!

Old 03-22-2017   #23
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Quote:
the bummer is that you rarely see people taking photos with their film cameras. all around you, people are snapping away with cellphones, but the film shooters hold back to save money, making every shot count. it really is more of a fashion accessory.
I keep re-reading this trying to find some strand of logic to connect all the sentences. There just isn't one.

Phones are a fashion accessory? Or cameras are? What "it" are we talking about? Surely not cameras, because one can hardly engage in conspicuous consumption by holding back and saving money. So it must be phones?

Old 03-23-2017   #24
leicapixie

Speaking to Millennial, one finds out they all own phones. The film camera is solely for 'photography" and prints. The old way. i never gave up film, but digital has often given me up! More cameras, more computers used and gone! My old enlarger from the 60's still in service, my M3 celebrating 50 years in pro use.
Toronto definitely see many SLR and Rf film cameras.

Old 03-23-2017   #25
bucs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I see film cameras all over LA. If they are being used by kids I'll often give them a roll of film if I have any extras with me. Which I usually do.
I'll be visiting LA this June

Hope I run into to you for the free film

Old 03-23-2017   #26
zuiko85

Here at Olympia, Wa. film seldom seen, at least walking around the town. Lots of local artists display photographs, most digital, perhaps 5% original image on film. At least one young lady used a Mamiya C 220 and traditional wet darkroom for studio and some outside photography (I know what camera she used, I sold it to her) but I heard she moved to Seattle. Don't get out as much as I once did, still see a film camera about once a year.

Old 03-23-2017   #27
emraphoto

"Throwing away paper plates is easier than washing china, but at Thanksgiving, we don't use disposable plates"

Going to borrow this if you don't mind

Old 03-23-2017   #28
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicapixie View Post
Speaking to Millennial, one finds out they all own phones. The film camera is solely for 'photography" and prints. The old way. i never gave up film, but digital has often given me up! More cameras, more computers used and gone! My old enlarger from the 60's still in service, my M3 celebrating 50 years in pro use.
Toronto definitely see many SLR and Rf film cameras.
This is why I now shoot film cameras exclusively. Beyond video I no longer purchase digital cameras. Over the past 2 years I have had over $3500 in digital cameras go belly up for reasons not attributed to every day use. For me (notice disclaimer) this is not acceptable.