Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks is a well known photographic writer, author of The Rangefinder Book, over three dozen other photographic books, and a frequent contributor to Shutterbug and Amateur Photographer. Unusually in today's photographic world, most of his camera reviews are film cameras, especially rangefinders. See www.rogerandfrances.com for further background (Frances is his wife Frances Schultz, acknowledged darkroom addict and fellow Shutterbug contributor) .

Eating tomatoes and beating children
Old 09-18-2016   #1
Roger Hicks

Eating tomatoes and beating children

Two new entries on my site, nothing to do with photography but you might find them entertaining and then wander around the more photographic bits. Eating tomatoes is a recipe, very Mediterranean Diet (I decided to lose some weight and lost about 10 kg, 22 lb, in a month or two); beating children refers to a tool I bought at a vide-grenier, and includes a really awful snapshot of the tool in use, probably for its primary purpose, by a child.

Cheers,

R.

Old 09-18-2016   #2
wakarimasen

I love the Eating Tomatoes article. I eat this regularly, and it's simple, but fantastic!

Old 09-18-2016   #3
dwojr

Recipe sounds delicious.

When I was in elementary school here in the states children got paddled by the principal. I almost got it one time. Thankfully I don't think that is done any more.

Old 09-18-2016   #4
Prest_400
Multiformat

One of the best things we have in here. Simple and healthy. It is amusing to see the recipe in English, as I never discussed the dish as such.

Fantastic as a simple course or base o put some cheese or embotit over it. A good slice of bread, rub tomato, put olive oil, and done.

Roger, makes me feel guilty not being a wine person. I never warmed to the alcoholic taste. I live in the wine region of Penedθs and there are excellent products... Grapes have just been harvested these days in front of home.

Have a friend that introduced me to the pleasure of good olive oil. The cloudy winter presses are full of flavour and so fantastic, he's looking foward to it.

When I had no tomato, just toasing the bread and pouring some excellent oil does the thing too. Edit: The beating board-cutting board reminds me of lazy student days (easy to prepare, and healthier than bad fast food). I just prepared this kind of recipe and just eat it on the wooden cutting board. Rustic, authentic and saved me to clean another plate.

Old 09-18-2016   #5
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

The article on Ye Olde Bat was nice but the recipe will be made later today for sure, thanks Roger

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 09-18-2016   #6
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Never got paddled when I didn't deserve it. Got the lesson and did not practice it on my children.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 09-18-2016   #7
charjohncarter

Tomatoes and rough bread add oil, sounds good for my lunch. I'm off to the store.

If you want my wife's tomato tart recipe, it is great. But you won't lose weight on it.

Old 09-18-2016   #8
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

YUM, it's on the lunch brunch menu today at home

wish I could meander vide-grenier and go home broke with lots of goodies & memories of mine or those from another era

as for tools.... it's insane to think anyone can do it to a child, heartbreaking and disgusting though I do know many an Adult who may deserve it
One of those would be great for whipping up my 4 eggs & 2 tablespoons of creme for my quiche

Old 09-18-2016   #9
ruby.monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Never got paddled when I didn't deserve it. Got the lesson and did not practice it on my children.
Paddling* is barbaric. Civilised people use a cane.

*(I went to a Catholic primary school run by middle-aged nuns. They would have laughed at the Americans' lack of imagination when it comes to the punitive arts.)

Old 09-18-2016   #10
ruby.monkey

And chopped basil? Heresy!

Excellent articles both.

Old 09-18-2016   #11
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
YUM, it's on the lunch brunch menu today at home

wish I could meander vide-grenier and go home broke with lots of goodies & memories of mine or those of another era

as for tools.... it's insane to think anyone can do it to a child, heartbreaking and disgusting though I do know many an Adult who may deserve it
One of those would be great for whipping up my 4 eggs & 2 tablespoons of creme for my quiche
Not even broke. Today was an expensive day, 27.50€ plus 1.50€ a glass each for a good sparkling Saumur. Bear in mind that a euro is worth a bit more than a dollar, so add on 10% for a dollar conversion, and a bit less than a pound, so knock off 10-20% for a pound conversion.

Among the things we bought were 10 books (9 novels in English and a big, beautiful illustrated book on pre-WW1 artisans), 6€ in all; 20 6x9cm contact prints originally sold as a souvenir of Rome (1€); another electric oyster opener (I was already planning a follow-up to my first piece, to be entitled "The Hunt for the Patent Oyster: La Lucha Continua") but this one came with an accessory (!) I'd not seen before (5€); a wine thermometer (1€); a big crucifix to add to the 6 dozen or so I already have in my entrance hall (5€ again); a Corning Ware saucepan and lid (the lids break from time to time, so when we find them at the right price, we buy them: 50 centimes); and, for Frances, a pair of nicely faded Levi 501s (1€). And half a dozen other things: literally 6 more, including a VHS tape of Sister Act.

Cheers,

R.

Old 09-18-2016   #12
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby.monkey View Post
Paddling* is barbaric. Civilised people use a cane.

*(I went to a Catholic primary school run by middle-aged nuns. They would have laughed at the Americans' lack of imagination when it comes to the punitive arts.)
Footnote: yes, I had friends whose sisters went to convent schools.

Opening sentence: dinnae forget the tawse.

Cheers,

R.

Old 09-18-2016   #13
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby.monkey View Post
And chopped basil? Heresy!

Excellent articles both.
Thanks for the kind words. Quite honestly I don't taste any real difference between chopped and torn basil. I feel much the same about the difference between chopped and crushed garlic, and we have several garlic presses.

Cheers,

R.