35mm Recommendation
Old 06-09-2016   #1
DanielDuarte

35mm Recommendation

Hey all, would love your two cents. As my pictures have evolved I've found myself leaving the wide side of the spectrum.

I just sold my 35mm Cron ASPH for two reasons.

1.) % wise it wasn't used enough.

2.) My logic told me that this focal length is my psyche holding on to some remnants of landscape work, but since I almost never shot the lens wide open was a lens with the purity of the 35 CRON worth keeping if I always stop down for f8 or thereabouts.

"If you're just going to stop down anyway" what lenses would you recommend when you'd rather spend more of your budget on other lenses but don't want to a lose a focal length all together.

Old 06-09-2016   #2
Nick R.
Still here

I just got rid of my 35mm because I wasn't using it. I find that a 50 and 24 cover my needs. I crop the 24 when I have to.

Old 06-09-2016   #3
kkdanamatt

If you can find a nice 35/2.8 Summaron at a reasonable price, I would not hesitate buying it. Stopped down, it's as good as the Summicron.

Old 06-09-2016   #4
presspass
filmshooter

There's also the ZI 2.8 Biogon, a truly marvelous lens. It's a little big for its f-stop, larger than the Summicron. The smaller CV lenses have also been widely praised, but I have not used them myself. The same goes for the Summaron. If you want small, very retro, look at a LTM Elmar. Not widely praised, but the one I have works well, despite the fiddly f-stop setup. At f 8 or so, it's marvelous, and is still respectable wide open. Be sure to get the hood - it's not terribly expensive, but it does prevent some flare. Another plus is that they are very available and not expensive. Obviously, you will need an LTM/M adapter.

Old 06-09-2016   #5
ferider

Try the color skopar. You'll be surprised how close it comes to the Summicron that you sold. My favorite version is the second LTM version, tiny, easy to code, etc.

Old 06-09-2016   #6
edge100
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdanamatt View Post
If you can find a nice 35/2.8 Summaron at a reasonable price, I would not hesitate buying it. Stopped down, it's as good as the Summicron.
I was just about to say this. I had the M3 (i.e. goggles) version and it was a wonderful lens.

Old 06-09-2016   #7
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I can't afford Canadian 35 Lux, which I'm interested to use at f5.6-f8.

And here are my two rubles:
Wider aperture is handy option with comes with extra price.
It doesn't matter if lens is fast or slow if you tend to use it on middle apertures. It is the rendering of the lens on the apertures you use most, which is matter.

Summaron 35 2.8 is great for BW, Summicron v1 is very interesting in rendering. Ultron 35 in both mounts is high class lens. Personally (after having of two Color Skopars), I prefer Summarit-M 35 2.5.

Old 06-09-2016   #8
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Another of its fans here...

Old 06-09-2016   #9
michaelwj
----------------

I second ferider's choice: the CV color skopar - little, low distortion, frees up a lot of $, modern coatings, high contrast. If you're stopping down, anything else is just because you would prefer a leica or zeiss "rendering".

Old 06-09-2016   #10
Richard G

Rendering, with size less important, the ZM C Biogon is wonderful. And the Zeiss bayonet fit hoods are very nice. Doesn't flare.

Old 06-09-2016   #11
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び

I sold away my 35 cron asph recently too. It's a focal length I went for when I wasn't so sure what I liked. 35mm is good for general street snaps too. However I like the 21 and 50 nowadays.

Old 06-09-2016   #12
Roger Hicks

Another vote for the Color Skopar. I've also had a couple of Summarons and the Color Skopar was better in every way than either of them. Then again my other 35mm is a Summilux (last pre-aspheric) and I sold a Summicron because although it was better than the Summilux at f/2 to f/5.6, at f/5.6 and smaller the Summilux was just as good and at f/1.4 the Summilux is a LOT better.

Cheers,

R.

Old 06-09-2016   #13
Jerevan
Recycled User

Color Skopar - thats where it is.

I have the Summaron 35 and I like its haptics and I think I perhaps prefer it in the long run, but I have a hard time getting myself to sell the Skopar - it's such a gem of a lens.

What buggers me with the Skopar is the f:2.5 (why not just 2.8 and be done with it) and that it might be a bit on the small side. On the upside, the hood is very well thought out, the focus action is snappy (short throw), the tabs for setting the aperture are well placed and the photographs have a crsipness that I like.

It could well be that the Summaron draws the shorter straw in the end.

Old 06-09-2016   #14
Nick R.
Still here

Hmm, the 35 color skopar is the lens I got rid of.

Old 06-17-2016   #15
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick R. View Post
Hmm, the 35 color skopar is the lens I got rid of.
Me too But it's still an excellent lens stopped down.

Old 06-17-2016   #16
tuanvinh2000

35mm ultron ltm. it has 39mm filter small and feel like a f2 lens to me. nice round rendering. i like its mechanics than the skopar M i tried (very loose aperture ring on the skopar). the only limit is 0.9 minimum focus distance.

Old 06-17-2016   #17
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
Try the color skopar. You'll be surprised how close it comes to the Summicron that you sold. My favorite version is the second LTM version, tiny, easy to code, etc.
These two came immediately to mind when I read the question. I have them both, and can recommend them!

Old 06-17-2016   #18
k__43
Registered Film User

Summarit or Color Skopar for the real bargain
I was no big fan of the Summaron to be honest.

Old 06-17-2016   #19
Bille

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielDuarte View Post
"If you're just going to stop down anyway" what lenses would you recommend when you'd rather spend more of your budget on other lenses but don't want to a lose a focal length all together.
Stopped down they all look the same. Get the cheapest halfway modern M mount lens you can find. Or simply skip 35mm and crop from 28 or whatever wide you have.

Old 06-17-2016   #20
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bille View Post
Stopped down they all look the same. Get the cheapest halfway modern M mount lens you can find. Or simply skip 35mm and crop from 28 or whatever wide you have.
Interesting comment! To me all lenses are hard to distinguish if photos are taken on color film.
But. I have taken bw pictures with Summaron 35 3.5, Summarit-M 35 2.5, Color Skopar 35 2.5 and Jupiter-12 35 2.8. The difference is visible anywhere from 5.6 to 22. Scans and Prints.

Old 06-17-2016   #21
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Always been a fan of the Zeiss 35/2.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 06-17-2016   #22
sahe69

Another vote for the 35mm C-Biogon. Great lens.

Old 06-17-2016   #23
Jason Sprenger

CV Color Skopar 35/2.5, it's very small, light and performs well.

I use it in my small bag in place of a ZM 35/2 and feel I'm not giving up much at all.

Old 06-17-2016   #24
rolfe

CV 35/1.4 Nokton.

It's tiny, and if you need the wide aperture it's there...

Old 06-17-2016   #25
froyd

The ergonomics of the 1.4 Nokton are hard to beat.

Old 06-17-2016   #26
lawrence

The 1.4 Nokton is a wonderful lens for the money. Wide open there's loads of barrel distortion but it seems to disappear on stopping down. I much prefer mine to the Color-Skopar that I once had.

Old 06-17-2016   #27
richard_l

Zeiss Biogon 35mm f/2.8 ZM

Old 06-17-2016   #28
alonbenav

If you like a really modern rendering, the Biogon-C is a winner, for sure.

For me, it was a bit too clinical. I went with a Summicron V3 and am extremely happy.

Old 06-17-2016   #29
newst

If you are going to use it stopped down try a Canon LTM 2.8/35. Much easier on the wallet than the other, excellent lenses suggested here.

Old 06-23-2016   #30
iphoenix

Daniel,
Why not simply go back a year or three and try an earlier Summicron?
You might find that when shut down, it gives you what you want.

Old 06-24-2016   #31
richard_l

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphoenix View Post
Daniel,
Why not simply go back a year or three and try an earlier Summicron?
You might find that when shut down, it gives you what you want.
In that spirit, you also might consider a Summaron.

Old 06-24-2016   #32
ktmrider

Another vote for the Zeiss 35f2.8 C-Biogon. Reid Reviews says it is the sharpest 35mm they have ever tested. I have it teamed with the 35f1.2 Nokton so the 35mm focal length is pretty well covered.

Old 10-09-2016   #33
mslatfly

I have a question that hasn't been covered here. I have an M3, so it doesn't come with viewer lines for a 35mm lens. Does that mean I do need to buy a Leitz lens with goggles, such as a 35 Summaron?

Old 10-09-2016   #34
rulnacco

You could do that--I have a goggled Summaron with my M3, and it's not that big a kludge, although certainly not as nice as the unadulterated viewfinder.

There are a couple of other options, though. One is to buy an external 35mm viewfinder, by Leica or another manufacturer. The Leica is most expensive, but is brilliant indeed--very bright and clear; the Zeiss would be next most costly, and of course Voigtlander has (or at least had) some available which are certainly nice, and reasonably priced. And there are no doubt loads of old finders by various other makers, but with few exceptions not as nice as those mentioned above (well, except maybe for the old Canon external finder).

Another possibility is to cover the frameline illumination window with a bit of black tape and then use the whole viewfinder, which is roughly the same field of view as 35mm. There won't be any framelines, but it works reasonably well in most cases.

(One problem with the goggles is that the round window is actually a prism, and it's secured in place by three screws that can be adjusted to change its orientation. If it comes out of alignment, meaning your rangefinder image will be out of vertical alignment and/or may be slightly off as far as distance, it can be a real dickens to get back in alignment--and to keep it there. Mine did that, and I sent it off to a repairer who got it back in alignment three times--and three times, within a short period, it came back out. I finally sent it to Malcolm Taylor, the elder god of Leica repairers, who used extra long screws and a bit of lacquer to keep it where it belonged. But it still seems to drift a bit with temperature changes, on occasion. Even Malcolm said he couldn't swear it would stay in alignment forever, certainly. So that is one aggravation with the goggles to keep in mind.)

Old 10-09-2016   #35
mslatfly

Thank you. Very helpful. I did remember about the viewfinders right after I posted my question. I didn't realize they cost that much. But it still gives me options. And, i didn't think at all about just ignoring the viewfinder's bright lines, and just frame it edge to edge. That's may be the best option.

Old 10-09-2016   #36
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslatfly View Post
Thank you. Very helpful. I did remember about the viewfinders right after I posted my question. I didn't realize they cost that much. But it still gives me options. And, i didn't think at all about just ignoring the viewfinder's bright lines, and just frame it edge to edge. That's may be the best option.
I have found that ignoring the frame lines on the M3 provides coverage equal to 40mm lens. It's not wide enough for 35mm.

35mm external VF's used run about $150 once they come on the mkt.

Old 10-11-2016   #37
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslatfly View Post
... That's may be the best option.
Best of worst options.