M2 - Lumpy Shutter Curtain
Old 05-07-2016   #1
lhotse

M2 - Lumpy Shutter Curtain

Hi all,
I recently picked up an M2 from ebay at a very reasonable price (~$500 USD) - the seller was not overly familiar with Ms but I got him to run through the checklist on the camera quest website - and he also is happy to provide a refund if I am not happy.

The M2 has arrived and generally it seems in good condition - shutter speeds all work - shutter seems very smooth to cock shoot etc. However I have spotted a couple of potential issues I'd really appreciate some thoughts on as I'm not overly familiar with the M2 and I've had no problems with my M6...

My primary issue is that the first? shutter curtain - the one that covers once the shutter is cocked is slightly lumpy as below - it seems to cock/fire fine but is this an indication of a problem? mold? impending failure etc?

The other shutter curtain seems fine:

Second, the RF window doesn't seem to look like any images of M2s I have seen before - i.e. no visible fresnel lens - does this look normal to you? both the framelines and RF are bright and perfectly usable

My main question is should I be using my refund option?

Any advice is much appreciated.
Best
D

Old 05-07-2016   #2
pschauss

Have you tried the camera with film yet?

That shutter curtain looks like it has been damaged by pointing the camera directly at the sun. It probably has a number of pin holes.

Old 05-07-2016   #3
benmacphoto

The shutter curtain looks like someone pushed their finger into it.
And it does look like the fresnel lens is missing.
I would return for a full refund and get a better M2.

Website

Old 05-07-2016   #4
peterm1

It does look like the shutter curtain has had some trauma at some time. But the thing with cloth shutters is that they are reasonably forgiving in such matters. They have some weaknesses like being susceptible to pinholes through sunlight coming thru a carelessly pointed lens but in other respects they tolerate a little abuse. Certainly a bend in a modern metal curtain like a Copal shutter would be, well "curtains" for the shutter as it would jam. Not necessarily so with a cloth one. Indeed not only cloth. Late model Canon RF cameras had a metal foil curtain that worked in exactly the same manner as cloth ones and it's hard to find one these days that has not been crinkled and wrinkled by people with two left thumbs loading film into the camera. Yet they work just fine. Why not contact the seller, explain you concerns and ask him for a weeks grace in which to run a roll thru tha camera and to have it developed to test it out. Then decide once you have all the facts. Thing is antique cameras are, well antique. So if the price you paid for this camera reflects it's less than perfect condition the only decision you need to make is how much are you willing to pay to get a better one and can you live with this one's imperfections.

Old 05-07-2016   #5
Ronald M

Why risk a $400 repair at a future date. Find a better dealer.

Old 05-07-2016   #6
nobbylon

return it.
a/ because you will find it hard to resell
b/ cost of repairs
c/ there are plenty that don't require attention in that price range

Old 05-07-2016   #7
lhotse

Thanks for the replies all - much appreciated.

I have contacted the seller and he is happy to provide a refund - he has also offered to discount the cost to repair these issues - does anyone have any idea how much a shutter replacement will cost? $400 seems steep but I don't have a great deal of experience.

Normally, I would speak to my somewhat local tech - but he has a "no quote unseen" policy (understandably) and the time scales of the return won't work with the queue of cameras he is consistently working on.

Anyone want to hazard a ball park guess here?

Thanks again

Old 05-07-2016   #8
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

I've seen this on several M-series cameras. Some careless person damaged the curtain by sticking his/her finger into it.

Return it unless you want to pay a high repair bill not too far down the road..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 05-08-2016   #9
sc_rufctr
Leica nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhotse View Post
Thanks for the replies all - much appreciated.

I have contacted the seller and he is happy to provide a refund - he has also offered to discount the cost to repair these issues - does anyone have any idea how much a shutter replacement will cost? $400 seems steep but I don't have a great deal of experience.

Normally, I would speak to my somewhat local tech - but he has a "no quote unseen" policy (understandably) and the time scales of the return won't work with the queue of cameras he is consistently working on.

Anyone want to hazard a ball park guess here?

Thanks again
At a guess. About $600 USD but that includes a full CLA. However you'd have a very fine M2 after it's done.

The problem is changing the shutter curtains is about this biggest job there is on an M.
Changing and adjusting the rangefinder is simple by comparison.

Adelaide, South Australia