Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

do you think cameras hang out and ask each other if their owners have soul?
Old 05-03-2016   #1
back alley
IMAGES

oh wait...cameras don't talk...

Old 05-03-2016   #2
madNbad

There are some living short, hard working lives with the press or paparazzi but their images are flashed around the world and they recieve no credit. The forgotten ones who languish in closets for years and are ocassionaly discovered by someone that values thier worth. Mostly there are the cameras shuffeled around like so many playing cards while we search for just the right one. Do they care?

Old 05-03-2016   #3
FrankS

Cameras find me.

photography makes me happy

Old 05-03-2016   #4
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

I hear mine whispering late at night but they stop when I come in the room. I'm sure they are being critical of me.....

Old 05-03-2016   #5
FrozenInTime

Mirrorless Party ... https://youtu.be/eplN_wI0AbA?t=4s
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 05-03-2016   #6
JP Owens

A camera's greatest longing is to be rescued from the dark bag in which it spends most of its life so it can fulfill its purpose and celebrate the light. When we pull it from that bag, it certainly doesn't criticize us, it worships us as a god!

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 05-03-2016   #7
michaelwj
----------------

I wouldn't know as I only have one! I need to take it on more play dates so it can talk to other cameras. I keep telling my wife that it's lonely but she doesn't listen to me (this might be part of a larger issue of me talking nonsense though).

Old 05-03-2016   #8
KM-25

One alley said to the other, "Sweet molasses a flow'n sideways, that alley's got back!"

And other one said, "Naw, your'e just see'n a bunch a bags"....

Old 05-04-2016   #9
kuuan
loves old lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
they don't talk but read you and act! They may fail on you, refuse to work, drop and get broken or not, get away by means of being stolen or forgotten.. or happily serve you.

Old 05-04-2016   #10
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

I know my cameras laugh at me behind my back.
Don't be so sure yours don't do the same...

Chris

Old 05-04-2016   #11
jmilkins
Digited User

Mine are being encouraged to escape...and I think they are plotting a mass break out.

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.

Old 05-04-2016   #12
splitimageview

No, but mine are constantly grouching about the bags in which they reside, and are continually asking about potential new living quarters.

Old 05-04-2016   #13
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Cameras find me.
Keep telling yourself that, Frank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
Ummm ... why do you think more and more of them have WiFi?

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 05-04-2016   #14
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

The true story of PJ diminishing.

Once upon the time cameras were hanging out at places called the Newspaper. Because some PJ would drop them all together in same box at the end of their shift. And cameras talked to each other how they were neglected and mistreated by PJ. They would say - these PJs have no soul for us, it has to be stopped. Sooner or later decision came. Cameras were able to hide themselves into the phones. And regular people took over cameras from PJs. Now cameras are living happy in the hands of remaining photo enthusiasts and gear collectors.
But those have soul for their cameras. At least this is what I'm trying to tell my cameras by doing CLA.

Old 05-04-2016   #15
daveleo
what?

Good theme for an animated movie.

No.
Old 05-04-2016   #16
Stuart John

No.

No...........

Canonet QL17, Canonet 28, Zorki C

Old 05-04-2016   #17
farlymac
PF McFarland

The only hanging out my cameras do is when they are on the back of my kitchen chair, ready at a moments notice. And I've never owned a Minolta Talker, so they don't make any noise.

PF

Old 05-04-2016   #18
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Joe,

I believe inanimate objects can be endowed with life or spirit. I believe my cameras are happy because they are loved, get used, and are treasured. Know they all get expertly maintained. Basically I give them a home and a sense of purpose.

Meanwhile I work with people that lack life or spirit and are like the living dead void of passion or purpose.

Like a musical instrument I do think some cameras can become better, especially ones that are heavily used. I believe an owner can impart some of their own spirit to their belongings. I call this mojo.

I own a Nikon F3P that was once a real press camera that was owned by the Pulitzer prize winning newspaper "Newsday." I have owned this camera for over 15 years, and it was part of history having been in Kuwatt to cover Operation Desert Storm. This is no generic camera that can be replaced, because there is no other camera like it at this point. I deem that my F3P has mojo that gives it character.

I think it is every camera's dream to become an extension of the owner, and in this manner the camera does have a voice. For me some cameras speak to me, while others don't.

If you are a musician you would understand how your instrument has a spirit, and cameras are no different.

Cal

Old 05-04-2016   #19
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Joe,

I believe inanimate objects can be endowed with life or spirit. I believe my cameras are happy because they are loved, get used, and are treasured. Know they all get expertly maintained. Basically I give them a home and a sense of purpose.

Meanwhile I work with people that lack life or spirit and are like the living dead void of passion or purpose.

Like a musical instrument I do think some cameras can become better, especially ones that are heavily used. I believe an owner can impart some of their own spirit to their belongings. I call this mojo.

I own a Nikon F3P that was once a real press camera that was owned by the Pulitzer prize winning newspaper "Newsday." I have owned this camera for over 15 years, and it was part of history having been in Kuwatt to cover Operation Desert Storm. This is no generic camera that can be replaced, because there is no other camera like it at this point. I deem that my F3P has mojo that gives it character.

I think it is every camera's dream to become an extension of the owner, and in this manner the camera does have a voice. For me some cameras speak to me, while others don't.

If you are a musician you would understand how your instrument has a spirit, and cameras are no different.

Cal
'If you are a musician you would understand how your instrument has a spirit, and cameras are no different.'

hmmm...

Old 05-04-2016   #20
jesse1dog
Light Catcher

Not quite sure, but often wondered.
Some people have named their cameras, some just call them names. Wonder if it's the cameras that are called names that are the ones that don't to seem to produce the results their owners crave for!
I have enough trouble remembering passwords let alone have names for my cameras. On second thoughts perhaps I have it all the wrong way round - name my cameras and use these names in passwords!
Life gets more complicated, or I get simpler!

'A photograph shows a slice of life that is already history; just a piece of a jig-saw that you will never see completed!'

Lumix LF1 LX7 and some others not in use!.

My Gallery

Old 05-04-2016   #21
jsrockit

Soul is all in the owner's / user's mind.

Old 05-04-2016   #22
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse1dog View Post
Not quite sure, but often wondered.
Some people have named their cameras, some just call them names. Wonder if it's the cameras that are called names that are the ones that don't to seem to produce the results their owners crave for!
I have enough trouble remembering passwords let alone have names for my cameras. On second thoughts perhaps I have it all the wrong way round - name my cameras and use these names in passwords!
Life gets more complicated, or I get simpler!
Jesse,

The late BB King named his guitar Lucile after a woman who was fought over. If I remember correctly the fight involved a stabbing where one man died. Also know that Stradivarious gave each instrument that he created a woman's name.

John the moderator generically calls my cameras "Monsters" because I bulk them up with accessories. M6 is Monster-6, and MP is Monster P. Easy to remember.

Know that I favor heavy silver versions of lenses that underneath are brass instead of aluminum. Also all my M's (Monsters) feature Tom Abramson Rapidwinders and Rapidgrips so the closely resemble my F3P mentioned above.

Clearly my cameras have character. LOL.

Cal

Old 05-04-2016   #23
marcr1230

Cameras do hang out together
This is hilarious and to the point:

http://zackarias.com/for-photographe...ks-into-a-bar/

Old 05-04-2016   #24
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Soul is all in the owner's / user's mind.
John,

I agree, but I do think that an object can grow to represent and have imparted the essence of the owner's spirit and can live on. Objects can live on while we eventually die.

Tell me a good photograph is not the projection of the photographer's spirit/soul, even though it just captures a moment. The moment and the image can become immortal.

No doubt that I have bonded with objects in my case.

Cal

Old 05-04-2016   #25
jsrockit

Quote:
I agree, but I do think that an object can grow to represent and have imparted the essence of the owner's spirit and can live on. Objects can live on while we eventually die.
I agree, but there's always a story attached to it. The story is made up by human experience and myth. Look at Garry Winogrand's M4 (https://www.cameraquest.com/LeicaM4G.htm) ... without the story, it's just a worn out M4 that only camera geeks would care about. The average photographer wouldn't.

Quote:
Tell me a good photograph is not the projection of the photographer's spirit/soul, even though it just captures a moment. The moment and the image can become immortal.
I think this is something different than a camera. Photography is a language of sorts that speaks to all people (in some way or another). Cameras are not.

Quote:
No doubt that I have bonded with objects in my case.
Oh we all have... but the bond is through experience and appreciation rather than soul in my opinion.

Old 05-04-2016   #26
BillBingham2

I just want it said that I've finished the screen play and about to sell this conversation to Dreamworks....................

B2 (;->

Old 05-04-2016   #27
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post

I think this is something different than a camera. Photography is a language of sorts that speaks to all people (in some way or another). Cameras are not.

John,

You make a good point. Cameras are not close to a universal language like a photograph, but here in this forum many speak the language of cameras.

Even photographs are not totally universal. When an aborigine was shown a photograph of his mother he did not recognize her. In this case the representation of a three dimensional person did not translate into a two dimensional flat image.

Also know that I'm not so sure that I would not get a vibe from Winogrand's M4. Some guitars are special and stand out. I'm sure that also holds true for cameras.

Remember the M6 HM with 0.85 VF'er that I owned. Basically a lemon that also had bad luck. Glad I traded it away. In other words some cameras suck (not all M6 HM, just this one).

Cal

Old 05-04-2016   #28
Dpingr1

New digital cameras can talk to WiFi networks. Maybe they have their own forums, where they talk about different kinds of photographers they like or hate? They argue with each other about how some photographers are obsolete (or have obsolescence built into them), or are strictly vanity hires (all about status), or are way too expensive for the kind of quality they provide. Other photographers are a dream to work with, and some have excellent bokeh (a Japanese term for how well they perform when they are not focused.) I'm afraid my Retina could not join -- it would be too busy yelling at the neighbor kids to get off our lawn.

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in." -- H. D. T.

Old 05-04-2016   #29
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuuan View Post
they don't talk but read you and act! They may fail on you, refuse to work, drop and get broken or not, get away by means of being stolen or forgotten.. or happily serve you.
I've never dropped a camera. They have jumped out of my hands in a suicidal fit over the lousy picture I was trying to make.

Old 05-04-2016   #30
robert blu
quiet photographer

My M7 is jealous when I use the FM2T.
But the Fm2T gets angry when I use the old Rollei 35T.
The Rollei 35T is very nervous when I go out with the small Leica x1 in my bag.
And I do not tell you what happen when I photograph with one of my Polaoroids...

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 05-04-2016   #31
jsrockit

Quote:
Remember the M6 HM with 0.85 VF'er that I owned. Basically a lemon that also had bad luck. Glad I traded it away. In other words some cameras suck (not all M6 HM, just this one).
Well, you did have some bad luck with that one. It happens. As much as I'm not a big fan of the word "soul" ... you do know that I'm picky when it comes to sticking with a camera.

Old 05-04-2016   #32
Huss

Does a screw on lens cap have more soul than a pinch fit one?

Old 05-04-2016   #33
Doug

A lot of mental energy goes into producing a camera... the hopes and dreams of the designers and engineers, and all the other people who contribute to the chain of production, even back to those who dug the ore to make the metal, and drilled for the oil to make the plastic parts. But as a former mechanical engineer, I mostly think of the engineers who came up with ideas and solutions with the goal of producing something we would like to use. Does the product then bear some of the "soul" that went into the making?

Old 05-04-2016   #34
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
A lot of mental energy goes into producing a camera... the hopes and dreams of the designers and engineers, and all the other people who contribute to the chain of production, even back to those who dug the ore to make the metal, and drilled for the oil to make the plastic parts. But as a former mechanical engineer, I mostly think of the engineers who came up with ideas and solutions with the goal of producing something we would like to use. Does the product then bear some of the "soul" that went into the making?
Doug,

I think what you suggest is true. The product does bear some of the "soul" that went into the making.

Sending a man to the moon is a great example of a chain of endeavors that extend beyond an idea, a concept involving hopes and dreams. In an abstract way the soul of the Apollo Program got extended to live in cell phones and home computers that we enjoy today that were the result of the Apollo Program that some argued was a waste of money.

Also consider Apollo 13 and the rescue of three astronauts where the Lunar Module was used as a life raft.

Cal

Old 05-04-2016   #35
Spanik

You never read their forums?

Old 05-04-2016   #36
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Does the product then bear some of the "soul" that went into the making?
Certainly... but is it the same as the user feels? probably not. If we go that route... the whole man made world would have "soul."

Old 05-04-2016   #37
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

My cameras are planning to surry down to a stoned soul picnic.
I have not been invited.

Chris

Old 05-04-2016   #38
Chubberino
-

nah, but they probably question why so many of their owners are assholes.

Old 05-04-2016   #39
DougFord
on the good foot

...I've forwarded your question to the 'photographing chimp'.

the walk

Old 05-04-2016   #40
back alley
IMAGES

we should be a comic troop!