Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF News

RFF News News related to photography and rangefinderforum.

Getty Images Says Google makes Stealing Photos Easy
Old 04-28-2016   #1
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Getty Images Says Google makes Stealing Photos Easy

Getty Images filed a complaint with the European Union's Anti Trust Division

Saying Google makes it easy to unknowingly steal copyrighted photos

its midnight, do you know where your photos are?

Old 04-28-2016   #2
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Getty is the real thief. They've driven down the prices of stock photography, while paying the photographers they represent almost nothing.

I like Google; I make a lot of money selling prints and licensing photos to people who find my work through Google image search. I'd never sell anything living in Fort Waste if it were not for Google.

If people are having trouble with image thieves, they should stop posting high res images online. Mine are small, so users have to contact me with money in hand to get the high-resolution file.

Old 04-28-2016   #3
emraphoto

i was going to comment but Chris has it covered.

Old 04-28-2016   #4
charjohncarter

I didn't know what to comment so I read Chris' comment. I'm with Chris and emraphoto.

Old 04-28-2016   #5
jpa66
Jan as in "Jan and Dean"

Well, let's make it three. Totally agree.

Old 04-28-2016   #6
JP Owens

You mean Getty is just figuring this out? I agree that Getty is the real villian here,though.

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 04-28-2016   #7
BlackXList

Chris covered most of what I was going to say about Getty,although their recent decision to give away/make available 35 million photos royalty free through Google apps (in some cases without consulting the photographers who were affected) should be mentioned too.

It's somewhat ironic that they're now complaining about Google.

Old 04-28-2016   #8
charjohncarter

I don't really know much about these internet privacy fights, but for us that do analog is our case better if we can produce the negative or slide? Or is it the same for digital images which are just in the cloud (exif)?

Old 04-28-2016   #9
JP Owens

Digital, analog, in the end it's pretty much that Google can do what they want to do with most of our images. The problem with an inherent (because you took the photo) or commercial (because you registered the image) copyright is that you have to defend it legally. For most of us, the cost of defending that copyright far exceeds any financial value the image will ever have. Neither Getty nor Google have much to worry about if they steal images.

The best we can do is ask nicely that the offending company please stop violating our copyright. Sometimes that works.

As Chris pointed out, the best way to protect your images is to never put anything but small, low resolution images on the Internet.

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 04-28-2016   #10
wolves3012

The problem nowadays is that anything digital can be cloned or altered in an almost unlimited fashion, so copyright has become unenforceable in this area (and many others). If you willingly submit a high quality image on the internet, which is inherently a worldwide distribution network, you must be very naiive to believe you can retain control over it. Someone, somewhere, sometime will see no need to pay you or give you proper credit. I don't condone such theft but that's the reality. Add to this that many people happily share their photos on social media sites and give up any rights, so that to them this is normality.
Leica IIIC
Yashica Minister III
Zenith C, Zenit C, Zenit E
Minolta XG-M, XD-5
Nikon P50
Panasonic Lumix G2, 14-42 Kit lens + 45-150mm

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-29-2016   #11
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Owens View Post
You mean Getty is just figuring this out? I agree that Getty is the real villian here,though.
Getty do not have exclusivity to most images they represent - indeed (given that they have several times accessed me over images never traded through an agency) they often do not have any rights at all. Their USP was not buying the primary publishing rights, but having a huge catalogue (by buying out publishers and agencies back stock archives, which tend to have no unlimited rights to the originals). So at the core they attempted to monopolize image research rather than image ownership. It is quite obvious that Google gets into the way of that, with photographers or primary agents linked straight from Google there is no more need to go to Getty. The whole business model of Getty is going the way of the Dodo - if they want to survive, they must make it legally compulsory to use their services...

Old 04-29-2016   #12
btgc

I wonder if Getty is taking proper care of images they are selling. If they don't provide authorized access only to full rez pictures why blame Google? What do I miss here.

Old 04-29-2016   #13
Steve M.

The only way you can protect your images online is to not put them there in the first place. I won't even drop off a CD of art work w/ a gallery anymore (they stopped wanting to see slides eons ago). They can come by and look at the work, or I can swing by w/ some of the stuff. That's the only way it happens. You just can't trust people in this dicital age, as people don't "get it" about appropriating someone else's images. It's a totally different mindset than what used to exist, exactly as wolves3012 so concisely put it.

Google is not your friend on any level.

Old 04-29-2016   #14
Erik van Straten

If you see what kind of photos people like and are prepared to pay for, we shouldn't worry at all.

Erik.