Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Dropped a camera!
Old 02-24-2016   #1
burancap

Dropped a camera!

Title says it all!

FIRST TIME! I have been shooting since I was a kid and this morning I dropped my very first camera from my hand!

I was not really in a hurry or anything, but was stupidly holding my lovely little X-A1 by the wrist strap. I had a momentary lapse of reason and lightened my grip shuffling items in my hands while I exited the back door.

CRASH!

I picked it and the lens cap up, closed the popped-open flash, and set it on my passenger seat. I was sad. It took me about an hour to take an evaluative look. Remarkably, the only marks were on the bottom of the OEM extra grip, a small scuff on the corner of the Thumbs Up, and on the actual body -just a tiny little divet to the edge of the molded thumb rest on the back. The lens (27) was unmarked!

Hey, this is not too bad!

Fired it up and I immediately see the left side of the screen has a dark arc. Argh! Well, not the end of the world. Let's see if it fires. Hey, presto! It still works. I hit the review button and zoom out. The arc is on the image! Double argh! Pop the lens and there it is. A dark grey, high density foam surround (frame) had bowed out under the sensor's protective glass. I tried a little gentle "nudging" by bouncing the body against my palm. No luck. It is a shame as I had begun to really enjoy the output from this great little camera. As it would make no monetary sense to repair it (I may pop it open someday when it is on its last legs), I have set the crop to 1:1 and that took care of it for now -back to 6x6!

Old 02-24-2016   #2
GaryLH

What a bummer.. So far been lucky w/ my drops - just two..
- film back on a baby Linhof that did more damage to the concrete sidewalk.. I was replacing the film back w/ sheet film back when someone bumped my arm, caring the drop.
- can't remember which camera it was, hit lens hood first, hood dented, lens camera minor scratches.

Gary

Old 02-24-2016   #3
telenous

"Argh" indeed. I had it happen years ago, on a film Leica no less. Peter Grisafi worked on it for a relatively small fee and quick turnaround because he "felt sorry for me". I don't think I was crying but it's many years now, perhaps I am forgetting something. It's not the end of the world obviously, but, ah, that sinking feeling....

flickr
instagram

Old 02-25-2016   #4
santino
eXpect me

Kiev 4a. No scars but the wooden floor has a dent..

Old 02-25-2016   #5
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Dropped my Praktica BMS once. Fell into pieces...

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 02-25-2016   #6
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Sorry for the drop, but the way I see it if you handle cameras all the time it is bound to happen, and it is a matter of time.

I dropped a Nikon F2 just like you by relaxing my grip. Dented and broke part of the die cast on the prism.

A different F2 tipped over on a tripod and dented the corner of the top plate. I kinda learned that when tripods are set tall they can be unstable.

A lot of time passed but I fell down a railroad embankment, and during this fall a M6 HM (0.85 VF'er) fell from my open bag. The camera tumbled on that big railroad gravel, but other than cosmetic damage the camera was fine. I ended up getting rid of that camera to create some separation from the bad experience. That particular Leica was a lemon anyway. Oh-well.

I guess the positive spin is that you learn to move on and continue shooting, basically knowing that accidents happen.

Cal

Old 02-25-2016   #7
Bill Clark

At a wedding, just once, I saw an experienced photographer, Hasselblad on tripod and plop, tripped and the entire camera on tripod fell to into a swimming pool. Didn't float!

Old 02-25-2016   #8
kbg32
neo-romanticist

I can remember being in a studio class when I was in college. I had to get a couple of sawhorses for a tabletop setup. I placed my camera, a Nikkormat, in the middle of a large tabletop in the middle of the room. there was at least 4 feet of table on all sides, so no danger of it falling off. Someone grabbed a 6' ladder and swung it sideways just skimming the table. I heard a crash behind me and thought oh no. I turned and there was my Nikkormat with the top plate and prism smashed almost flat. It fell 4' onto a concrete floor. The guy who swung the ladder was just standing there still holding the damn thing horizontally. I wanted to cry. He never paid me for the repair.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 02-25-2016   #9
JP Owens

Dropped a Mamiya M645 once on a hardwood floor. The safety lock on the Sunpack 544 flash failed. Camera hit on the film wind side, pushing it into the body (these are not really sturdy cameras) and making it inoperable. The camera was only a month or so old, but the damage was clearly my fault. Sent it to Mamiya, explaining exactly what happened. They repaired it under warranty despite it being my fault.

Dropped a Nikon 15mm F/3.5 AI-S from the top of a sailboat mast into the Gulf of Mexico once. Considering how much it weighed, some poor fish was likely rendered unconscious.

As was pointed out, if you handle cameras enough, you are going to drop one eventually.

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 02-25-2016   #10
dc5
dc5

Tripped and fell with Fuji X10 in hand while going out on cement patio...2 years later, luckily still working great.

Old 02-25-2016   #11
grouchos_tash

I went for a walk with a Bessa R2a and the camera strap busted randomly, I caught the end of the strap when the camera was about an inch from the pavement! I don't think the concrete and Bessa would have got along very well.

I was at a camera shop in Leeds and the guy had a Rolleiflex that had been dropped in the sea...it couldn't be saved.

flickr

www.garyharding.website

Old 02-25-2016   #12
Baipin

I remember a few years ago running from some crazy dog off a leash, with a 1939 Voigtlander Vito I around my neck. It was during high-school, when my friends and I would shoot in some unsavoury parts of town. Clearly the case was from 1939 too, as the leather neckstrap just randomly snapped while I was running. Luckily, I caught the Vito as it began falling. I remember hastily jamming the broken end of the strap into the leather case, or through some sort of hole where the severed strap was supposed to attach. A few seconds later, the other side of the camera strap broke. At that point, I decided to just run with it in my hands... I still have the case and most of the strap.

Mamiya Super 23 G
- Sony A7R - Leica iiic

Old 02-25-2016   #13
rhl-oregon
Cameras Guitars Wonders

Leica iiic wrist strap screw works loose from tripod bushing while Robert's getting out of car in grocery lot--Barnack hits asphalt, Robert utters exclamation involving deity & fornication --tiny dent in a back corner, no other ill affect, including CV 35/2.5...

Sony A7 sling strap screw works loose from tripod bushing when Robert's getting out of car at home after photographing--A7 hits gravelly road mix, Robert no longer impugns deity or fornication but utters Oh Dear--no dent, just a few more scratches in the worn paint, just another crack in the cover glass (since replaced, that's why we buy cover glass), all works fine, including 55/1.8...

Robert on his Trek Soho commuter bike passes an adult cyclist pulling a tike trailer, catches the font wheel in an open seam in the concrete roadway, falls slightly farther than either camera fell (indeed, not nearly as far relative to comparative size) but detaches all ribs and can hardly move for weeks.

Robert is all better now. Though neither the cameras nor Robert are getting younger, the cameras are better built. Maybe Robert needs to be tethered to a sling, but who will make sure it doesn't work loose?

http://rhl.photography

Old 02-25-2016   #14
jsrockit

The way I see it... be thankful it was one of your cheaper cameras Jeff!

Old 02-25-2016   #15
dugrant153

I recently had an experience with my Leica M6 tumbling with me.

I was backing up onto some rocks on a beach the rocks gave way and I tumbled and my M6 hit a rock.

Damaged the rock.

Old 02-25-2016   #16
back alley
IMAGES

crashed a canon p plus lens onto the concrete of a city sidewalk...both lens and body had to go to the docs...

Old 02-25-2016   #17
Oscuro
He's French, I'm Italian.

Too many dents to count.

Warmest,

Mme. O.

Old 02-25-2016   #18
Lawrence Sheperd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhl-oregon View Post
Robert is all better now. Though neither the cameras nor Robert are getting younger, the cameras are better built. Maybe Robert needs to be tethered to a sling, but who will make sure it doesn't work loose?
Robert tells a good story!

Larry

Old 02-25-2016   #19
burancap

Y'all are making me feel better. No, it wasn't the most expensive camera, and yes, it was bound to happen some day. It certainly is not my first damaged camera, just the first that I ever dropped under my own control -or lack thereof. There was just a strange sense of stewardship-shirking that overwhelmed me after it fell from my grasp.

Old 02-26-2016   #20
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Jeff,

In a way it can be framed as a badge of honor.

Cal

Old 02-26-2016   #21
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Jeff,

In a way it can be framed as a badge of honor.

Cal
I saw Cal drop a VERY expensive camera in the Bronx. It made my stomach sink and it wasn't even my camera.

Old 02-26-2016   #22
Mlehrman
Mlehrman

RX-1 to the asphalt via slippery shoulder strap. No visible damage, but RIP manual focus mode.

Old 02-26-2016   #23
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

In 1986 I tripped up a brick stairway on The Fenway in Boston.
I landed on my little Olympus 35RC. It was not pretty! My chest still hurts.
Fortunately I worked at Olympus and they still had spare parts.

More recently the wind blew a Ricoh FF-1 folder out of my hands at Fort Tilden.
Though it landed on soft beach sand the shutter never fired again.
That'll teach me not to put my hand through the wriststrap!

Chris

Old 02-26-2016   #24
SamShio
hiking/walking photog

Dropped my Olive Bessa R2 before I had the Voigtlander side grip on it. Put a nice dent/hole in the bottom corner. Hasn't effect the images at all. I had my Canon 50mm 1.4 ltm on it as well and dented the filter that I had on it, lens is still fine, no problems. Lucked out other then the noticeable dent in the corner of the camera.

Old 02-26-2016   #25
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I saw Cal drop a VERY expensive camera in the Bronx. It made my stomach sink and it wasn't even my camera.
That was rude. The camera had been overhauled and had just gotten a MP finder upgrade from Sherry, so the M6HM (0.85 VF'er) was factory fresh. The filter (MRC) was damaged and mucho small dings all over the body. Anyways I have a strong immune system. The sick feeling kinda passed rapidly. Oh-well.

Good thing is I had another camera with me (Wetzlar M6). I had already bonded with my M6 and if this camera took the hit it definitely would have been more painful.

Cal

Old 02-26-2016   #26
kuuan
loves old lenses

dropped a Pentax *istDs twice, both times on hard asphalt / concrete floors and because the neck strap dangling from the camera was caught somewhere. Both times the filter thread of the mounted Takumar 1.4/50 got a dent and both camera and lens continued working like before, then I took off the neck strap and have not used any nor dropped a camera ever since