Upgrading OSX from Mavericks to El Capitan?
Old 01-29-2016   #1
Dralowid
Michael

Upgrading OSX from Mavericks to El Capitan?

A couple of questions from someone who does not understand this stuff...

1) Is it worth the bother?

2) Are Vuescan and Epson Scan supported? (Scanner is Epson V500) Any problems with either?

Which school of thought should I join...the 'Always Upgrade if Free' school or the 'If it ain't broke don't fix it' academy?

Old 01-29-2016   #2
Bill Clark

I'm of the school if it works why try to fix it.

My Apple computers are 10 years old, running with Tiger OS. I use Photoshop CS-4 still and it does what I need to for my photography.

It's getting more challenging using the internet with the version of Safari installed.

I can't upgrade as the computers are too old.

Folks that need the newest stuff have various reasons. I haven't needed to do that.

Right now I'm using an iPad mini and it works just fine for what I need from the internet. First, I think I will upgrade my printer to Air Print support then buy a new iMac.

Old 01-29-2016   #3
ChrisLivsey

Your other issue with the internet is that, although less prone obviously, Apple no longer issues security updates for that older OS. Mine was on 10.68, was because the video card just died, the Apple repair shop couldn't stop laughing when |I asked about a repair, same issue hardware stopped me updating.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 01-29-2016   #4
Merlijn53

I always update as soon as available and sometimes I ask myself Why? afterwards.
The only issue I found this time, is that you have to update the Epson software as well.
If you don't you may have an unpleasant surprise, but nothing serious.
Frank

Old 01-29-2016   #5
JP Owens

El Capitan is a useful upgrade. Went flawlessly on everything from Mid 2010 Mac Pro to year old iMacs and laptops. Some people are having problems with Mac Mail, usually only if you have multiple email account on the same computer. I use Outlook, so I can't speak to that. Vuescan works fine, Epson with driver update works fine.

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 01-29-2016   #6
mjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid View Post
A couple of questions from someone who does not understand this stuff...
... I had a quick look and although I don't have your printer / or use viewscan I did find the following, if its helpful....

1) Is it worth the bother?

Probably, in the medium to longer run.

2) Are Vuescan and Epson Scan supported? (Scanner is Epson V500) Any problems with either?

If the scanner does not work automatically, here is a potential resource for epson:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...=136500#stage1

And here are some support notes for Vuescan

http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm

The site says: "What's new in version 9.5.28" -- "Improved support for Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)"

Which school of thought should I join...the 'Always Upgrade if Free' school or the 'If it ain't broke don't fix it' academy?

It can be a pain upgrading, but one can't wait forever .... I generally try to verify that my main (work related) software would (theoretically) work before doing so.

Good luck with your decision....

Old 01-29-2016   #7
jarski

1) Perhaps you don't see much difference, OS X generations don't differ that much from each other IMO. which is actually good, if alternative is what's always going on in Windows world. Is it worth it? Mavericks is now two generations old so software support from Apple and third parties probably start to wane off gradually. It better not to leave a system running too long without doing anything, because bigger the eventual upgrade snowball is going to grow. I've been happy El Capitan user, used Mountain Lion previously, so jumped over Mavericks and Yosemite altogether.

2) on idea

Old 01-29-2016   #8
willie_901

Unless one has very old hardware (minimum HD and memory requirements) for OS 10.11 or one has ancient third-party hardware (no 10.11 drivers available), one should upgrade.

The reason is simple... security. The new features are also useful, but it seems on RFF new features are often considered liabilities instead of advantages.

The real-life disadvantage of upgrading to OS 10.11 involves adapting to new forms of Apps such as iTunes and Photos. There are probably other Apple Apps I'm not thinking about. While it is possible to use 10.11 productively without participating in iCloud, the OS is designed to seamlessly connect with iPhones, iPads, Apple TV and other Cloud based services. In this sense upgrading from Mavericks to 10.11 will generate a bit of culture shock. Some people prefer to delay inevitable change for as long as possible. Of course at the other end of of the spectrum are those who embrace change only because it's change.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 01-29-2016   #9
majid
Fazal Majid

Avoid it and go to Yosemite, El Crapitan is particularly buggy, even by the dismal form-over-substance record of Apple post Snow Leopard. See Lloyd Chambers' Digilloyd blog for more detail (search for "Apple core rot").

I have El Cap on my work computers because it is required for the newest Xcode, but I am keeping my home Mac Pro on Yosemite as long as it will keep getting security updates.

Old 01-29-2016   #10
jarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by majid View Post
Avoid it and go to Yosemite, El Crapitan is particularly buggy, even by the dismal form-over-substance record of Apple post Snow Leopard. See Lloyd Chambers' Digilloyd blog for more detail (search for "Apple core rot").
got curious since I don't feel El Capitan buggy at all. after a search of "core rot", found a link. many things seem not like this guy is wanting. seems like todo list of angry armchair CEO of Apple.

Old 01-29-2016   #11
2WK
Rangefinder User

I upgraded to El Cap on my newish Mac Pro and everything runs quicker for me. I have 6 cores and dual d500 video cards so I think the new software takes better advantage of that hardware. Booting and opening apps is much snappier.

The biggest plus is that El Capitan is finally a 10-bit environment. The latest Photoshop update also made 10-bit an option and my Eizo is now truly displaying wide gamut.

I did not run into any software issues. I scan with Silverfast, and they had an update immediately.

Old 01-29-2016   #12
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
I'm of the school if it works why try to fix it.

My Apple computers are 10 years old, running with Tiger OS. I use Photoshop CS-4 still and it does what I need to for my photography.

It's getting more challenging using the internet with the version of Safari installed.

I can't upgrade as the computers are too old.

Folks that need the newest stuff have various reasons. I haven't needed to do that.

Right now I'm using an iPad mini and it works just fine for what I need from the internet. First, I think I will upgrade my printer to Air Print support then buy a new iMac.
Try using the Google Chrome browser. It's faster than Safari and more secure. It's a little intrusive but what isn't anymore? S

Old 01-29-2016   #13
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

We're still using Yosemite on all our machines at the agency. We'll probably upgrade soon, but want to make sure we have time to test all our critical software and networking items (buggy enough already), on a test machine first.

Just haven't made the time to do that.

---
My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 01-29-2016   #14
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Quote:

I have El Cap on my work computers because it is required for the newest Xcode, but I am keeping my home Mac Pro on Yosemite as long as it will keep getting security updates.
I've not noticed anything on my computer. I upgrade as soon as Apple releases and have only had some issues with one, I think it was Lion. This last upgrade would have been unnoticeable had it been done automatically. I have El Cap on all three of my Apple computers. Windows 10 on the two PC laptops. No glitches on any of them. ??

Old 01-30-2016   #15
willie_901

Quote:
Avoid it and go to Yosemite, El Crapitan is particularly buggy, ..
How odd.

We have El Cap on three computers and it is rock solid. This is the first version with stable AirPlay. It is also the first version where Time Machine behaves flawlessly. Of course, it is the most secure version as well. In our experience El Cap is the least buggy, most stable version of OS X.

I usually do just the opposite of anything Digiloyd recommends and have enjoyed great success with my photographic and IT purchases.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 01-30-2016   #16
squirrel$$$bandit

El Capitan is great for me, cured a lot of little problems in Yosemite. All my software works fine, but best to check with Hamrick. In general, OSX updates since they stopped charging money have not broken much software compatibility, in my experience. El Cap does seem to have been an exception, but most developers updated quickly.

Old 01-31-2016   #17
Dralowid
Michael

Well, following all this, I went ahead and upgraded anyway. Computer came on OK this morning, scanners and printers still work, all fine and I think worth doing.

Old 01-31-2016   #18
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid View Post
Well, following all this, I went ahead and upgraded anyway. Computer came on OK this morning, scanners and printers still work, all fine and I think worth doing.
Having myself similar doubts I find this encouraging, thanks...
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 01-31-2016   #19
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

I normally upgrade right away (after doing a backup, of course,) and have experienced very few problems. I'm on a 2011 MBA. With El Capitan it works better than new and I find the continuity/integration of apps across devices to be a huge asset for me.

I haven't used my V750 and Vuescan for quite a while, so I'm glad to hear there were no issues. I have had no issues with Mail after the upgrade to El Capitan.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 01-31-2016   #20
Dralowid
Michael

There's an upgrade for Viewscan which is no problem.

Old 01-31-2016   #21
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

While we are on this subject: I'm still running Snow Leopard. What is the highest upgrade with which my Aperture program will still run well? And are there ones to avoid? I read the concern about El Capitan (tho others say it's fine).

Old 02-01-2016   #22
willie_901

According to Apple Aperture runs on all versions of OS X.

Unless one is in the strange-land-of-RFF[™] where new technology automatically invokes fear, uncertainty and death, El Capitan would be the best OS X version for Aperture[1].

[1] assuming your memory, CPU speed/architecture and free disk space is appropriate for running OS 10.11
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 02-01-2016   #23
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

I don't really care about new features, whenever I'll upgrade to El Capitan it'll be just so future upgrades are less painful. I never had this hesitation with Apple products until the time upgrading iOS 9 completely messed up my phone AND the backup didn't work.

I need to find the time to make some solid backups before I attempt this upgrade

WebsiteFlickrInsta

Old 02-02-2016   #24
JeffL

I upgraded to 10.11 today on my 2010 MBP. El Capitan seems to work great and my computer is still quick. I have max RAM and an SSD installed.
All my old software (PS Elements 6 etc. ) work just fine.
Over all I'm happy with the new OS.

Old 02-02-2016   #25
michaelwj
----------------

I upgraded a while back (early 2009 iMac) and everything worked without a hitch, running a PlusTek 8100 through VueScan.

The thing that I did notice is that now in LR 5.x the library and develop modules show different exposures and colours. It appears to be related to the 10 bit colour upgrade (library is AdobeRGB and develop is ProPhoto I believe). Thats another topic though that I think I'll start now...

Old 02-03-2016   #26
Dralowid
Michael

Just one thing...I have a little Canon Ixus diginasty that I use for quick pics. In Mavericks it never popped up as an icon but the pics were always available to be imported in Picasa.

Apparently these little Canons don't have drivers(?).

In El Capitan the pics went straight to Apple 'Photos' and I would then have to export to Picasa. I've changed this to make them show up in Image Capture where they can now be found by Picasa.

An extra step maybe but easy now. My Sony camera shows up as an icon on the screen so it is no problem.

Lightroom, Photoshop etc all fine so far......for me.

Old 02-03-2016   #27
squirrel$$$bandit

I love Apple Photos but only as a final repository of jpegs after processing elsewhere. It's true the app is rather grabby right out of the box...

Old 02-03-2016   #28
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
I love Apple Photos but only as a final repository of jpegs after processing elsewhere. It's true the app is rather grabby right out of the box...
I agree.

I only use Photos as a media source for OS X Apps that automatically interface with Photos. For instance the SandVox Web Site production App automatically creates photo galleries from Albums in Photos.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com