Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Anybody here ever switch systems?
Old 11-15-2015   #1
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Smile Anybody here ever switch systems?

A weird thought hit me this morning when I opened an e-mail from B&H: to ditch all my Nikon gear (cameras and lenses) in favor of the Hasselblad HV and a Sony Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 lens.

Later I learned that the Hassy is just a rebadged Sony A-99 body.

Still, the thought has not abandoned me altogether... but I'd like to know if anybody has done something similar, like migrate from Nikon to Canon, or viceversa, or gone from dSLR to RF or the other way around.

Did you enjoy it to this day? Did you regret it? Just curiosity. Thanks in advance!
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 11-15-2015   #2
CliveC

I kinda did, but didn't quite make it.
I started with Canon EF (on a 60D), added a few lenses, but added Sony gear when a friend gave me some Minolta glass. First added a Sony A37, then a full-frame A850.

I found a good deal on a 70-200mm for Canon though, so I've since gone back and added a 5D classic.

So now I'm kinda stuck between systems and I shoot both (5D when light is sufficient, A850 when it's not and I need more megapixels). With Sony's lackluster support for A-mount, I have a feeling that another 5D will be next on my shopping list, as well as a 24-70mm.

Old 11-15-2015   #3
Contarama

I am a multi/cross system fella myself preference manual focus...

Wait for the Pentax and prices on digital full frame used M's to drop even more and then rethink your strategy. My opinion.

Shooting everything...it is the future!

Old 11-15-2015   #4
Robert Lai

I was exclusively Nikon for over 25 years, then I've migrated to LTM cameras, and finally Leica M. I've sold off a lot of the Nikon gear, but I still keep some unique items. Telephoto and Macro are strengths for SLRs, and I've kept those lenses. The more common 50mm and wide angles are now the domain of the Leica.

Besides 35mm systems, I shoot a lot more medium format also. 6x6 and 6 x 9, with some 6 x 4.5cm with a mask inserted in my 6 x 9 camera.

Old 11-15-2015   #5
Range-rover

I've done it went from Nikon to Canon, I just got a bunch of canon glass at
a great price so I sold the Nikon I had, it's just what works better for you.

Old 11-15-2015   #6
gb hill

Just switched from using an RF to my Canon SLR to shoot a couple of projects. I carried it out today & it felt so good for me to use. I was able to concentrate on the project at hand.

Old 11-15-2015   #7
lynnb

I never regretted switching to original 5D as my first DSLR, after using F mount for over 30yrs (and OM before that). Nikon simply didn't have a FF digital at the time. The cost of switching to Nikon DSLRs now is not worth it as my Nikkors are mostly pre-AI.

Used film gear is a different matter - it can be very cheap to try other systems when you can buy an SLR and a bunch of primes for under $100. I have a number of different mount systems that I bought for much less than that. I'm enjoying playing with different system lenses. I suspect there's more than a few who are in the same boat.

For professionals relying on one system with a large investment, switching is a big decision.
Flickr

Old 11-15-2015   #8
farlymac
PF McFarland

I've never abandoned one system for another, except back in 1973 when I went from a Ricoh M42 system to Nikon. I've since gone and bought an M42 system to replicate my original Sears/Ricoh gear.

I've found through a process of investigation (some call it G.A.S.) that each system has its good, and weak points. I'm really liking my Canon lenses, and the Minolta manual focus stuff is great. However, I'm not too fond of their AF offerings, preferring Yashica AF.

It goes on and on, but I find it hard to get rid of camera systems that have some nice features, even if I don't use them as often.

PF

Old 11-15-2015   #9
squirrel$$$bandit

Embarrassingly often. I keep coming back to Leica, though. I'm addicted to trying stuff out.

Old 11-15-2015   #10
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

So far, the very odd thing is that... I'm not crazy about a dSLR. It simply happens that there are moments and situations in which it comes in handy to have a machine that does half the thinking for you.

I'd like to make a last purchase and just keep it. While I like the Nikon gear and system, it's constantly expanding, growing and changing. I know that the Sony won't be any different, but I am not sure whether it'd be a good move. How's the Sony color rendition compared to Nikon's? Anyone here has used both?

Oddly, very oddly enough... the price of a Hassy kit is lower than that of a Sony (body+ 24-70 fast zoom) by some $500 (at least, comparing Amazon's and B&H prices).

BTW, thanks for your experiences! I never saw myself even consider a system switch... but then, life comes and things happen.
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 11-15-2015   #11
back alley
IMAGES

lots...

started out with a miranda, moved to a nikon then a canon and then a olympus (all slrs) used a leica then bessas...used a mamiya 6 for years...rd1 and now fuji...probably one to 2 more that i can't remember...
what a long strange trip it's been...

Old 11-15-2015   #12
Pablito
coco frío

Never would change outright as in from Nikon to Canon DSLR, but I do use different systems for different types of work; Nikon DSLR (FX and DX), Fuji XT-1 and Sony Nex Series and a6000. I would add new systems if they provided me with the capability to do something I could not do before but I feel pretty well set now.

Yet I don't like learning new systems. I transitioned from the later Nikon film cameras to their DSLRs without much trouble. The Nikon menus are ingrained in me; changing to Canon would require a huge investment in time: sell the old stuff, buy they new stuff and then learn how to use it seamlessly. Really see no reason to do that since I am very pleased with the results I get from what I currently use. Changing from Nikon to Canon would be a horizontal move - I don't see what I'd gain. Of course, I'd say the same thing for someone for whom Canon was second nature. Both systems are equally capable.

Old 11-15-2015   #13
Pioneer

I have tried different systems but have never fully abandoned any of them. As a result I have a lot of odds and ends from a number of systems.

Once the Pentax full frame actually goes on the market I suspect that several of my other systems will be sold, as much to help pay for the new camera and a lens, as to clean out the cupboard.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 11-15-2015   #14
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Started out with Nikon's, then in 2006 I got the Rf bug (Leica and Voigt's). Just recently I discovered Pentax MX's. So I don't actually switch systems because as it seems, I just keep adding systems.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 11-15-2015   #15
Avotius
Some guy

I have two camera systems I use at the same time. A Canon full frame kit for work stuff, and whatever else my fancy is at the time. It was Leica, then I played around with m4/3, then Fuji X, and now Sony FE mount, which is neat because I can use those Leica/Zeiss M mount lenses I have on my Sony, and use my Canon's with a cheap adapter.

Old 11-15-2015   #16
muser53
MUSER53

System switch? Yeah I switch between Leica M and Nikon gear not by buying and selling but by owning some of each and using what suits my purposes best.

Old 11-15-2015   #17
kxl
Social Documentary

My first camera (in high school) was a Pentax K1000, given to me as a gift. The first camera that I bought with my own hard-earned money from my first job out of college was a Nikon FE2. I've been a Nikonista since. Technically, I guess that's a switch.

In all those years, I've had a love-hate relationship with the RF experience. It's all good right now, especially after adding the A7R.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 11-15-2015   #18
lxmike
Barnack fan

too many times to mention, at moment very happy with fuji though

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar

Soon to arrive Leica MDa

myblog:lifefromawindow

Old 11-15-2015   #19
michaelwj
----------------

I switched from a Nikon DSLR to a Leica film setup. 6 years with Nikon, 3 months with both while the Nikon collected dust, 3 years and counting with the Leica. Sometimes I think I'd like to have an SLR kit for the longer lenses, but I never liked them, all my favourites are with lenses under 50 mm.
I also don't think I have the capacity to use more than one system at a time, I like to keep it simple.

Old 11-15-2015   #20
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

I started with Canon (Eos5) and a couple of lenses (50mm, 35-105) and then i switched to Minolta (9xi + 50mm, 28mm, 28-80mm), then went to Pentax (Spotmatic + 50/1.4, MX+50mm 1.7, 28/3.5, 35/2), then sold them all for Olympus (OM-1n + 50/1.4, 28,2.8) which i sold for Nikon (F4s+50mm, 28-70mm).
Now went back to Canon (EOS1n RS+ 50mm, EOS-5) and i also kept the Nikon.

I haven't seen any significant differences is picture quality between these systems.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 11-15-2015   #21
JP Owens

Nikon from the late 1960's until autofocus came along, then switched to Canon. Still use Canon as primary gear. Have M4/3 and like the Panasonic GH3, but use it mostly for video. I've owned most of the Leica M and Bessa film cameras at one time or another. Various medium and large format gear. As far as the primary system, though, it has been Canon for decades, simply because it's what I'm familiar with now. I'm pretty much camera agnostic.

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 11-16-2015   #22
grouchos_tash

Sold all my canon equipment to fund some M glass a few years ago. I'd been shooting with canon for years, but now I've got a Nikon F80 and 50mm coming for Christmas (wanted AF for photographing an active niece). Nikon is totally new to me but I enjoy learning/trying new equipment.

flickr

www.garyharding.website

Old 11-16-2015   #23
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

I would not be here, in several forums on different systems, if I did not have a tendency to switch systems - or rather, to add and un-add extra systems. Be smart and buy used, and it can even be affordable...

Old 11-16-2015   #24
Roger Hicks

Sure. Pentax to Nikon in about 1974, and Hasselblad 500-series to Mamiya RB in about 1985. Then Mamiya RB to "baby" Linhof later. Still using Nikons and Linhofs to this day. And Leicas since about 1969.

Of course I'm talking about principal systems here: I still have other cameras as well, and I don't count LF cameras as systems.

Cheers,

R.

Old 11-16-2015   #25
valdas

All my attempts to "switch" ended up by adding one more system...

Old 11-16-2015   #26
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

Hmmm, I can't help thinking that, if you have a RF and some SLR, you'll usually be changing systems all the time. Add in the P&S you keep in your pocket and that's 2 or 3 systems: not that I'd call a P&S a system but there it is... And, of course, there's the smart phone, which no one ever mentions.

Regards, David

Old 11-16-2015   #27
Addy101

I keep adding - in chronological order: Canon EOS, Minolta (Sony) A-mount, Minolta SR (MC/MD), Sony E-mount, Contax C/Y-mount. So, no, I never switched.

Old 11-16-2015   #28
Freakscene
Deregistered user

When I started working as a photographer, someone very famous told me to buy a couple of Nikon FM2ns and the lenses I needed. Being twenty something, I paid no attention. Over the next few years I went through Contax, Olympus OM and Leica R systems. They all had great lenses but reliability problems abounded with all of them. Later when I got given pool equipment I carried 2 F90x cameras, a 28-70 f2.8 (Tokina first, then Nikon later when they made one) and an 80-200 plus 2 SB-26 speedlights and a bunch of cords, cables, film and batteries. That all slowed me down enough that it nearly got me killed me once or twice so eventually I bought two FM2ns, a 28/2.8 AiS, a 50/1.4 AiS and an 85/1.4 AiS. Later I bought an M6 and 35 and 50 Summicrons and a C-V 75 and later a 75 Summilux.

I did better underwater - Nikonos until digital, and am still working there with a housed D700.

And that's just in 135/hand cameras...without the Rolleiflexes, Hasselblads, various field cameras, a monorail studio set-up and who knows what else.

I also have about 3 darkrooms worth of enlargers.

Writing this I actually wonder if I have a problem. Well, more of a problem than I already knew I had, anyway...

Marty

Old 11-16-2015   #29
yanchep_mike
Always Trying

OK here is my list:

Started with a Photo Porst P&S (my first camera i bought from pocket money)
Agfa Silette
Ricoh
Canon
Minolta
Yashica
Ricoh
Nikon
Pentax
Nikon
Nikon(Digital)
more Nikon(Film)
Minolta/Sony
Pentax
Canon FD
Canon EF
Some Mamiya MD in the mix
Short love affair with Leica and Voigtlander
Back to Nikon
etc etc

This thing is going on for 5 decades i kept most cameras and lenses and now have more then enough, but GAS is still present and i have found no cure.

I am an addict!!!

Old 11-16-2015   #30
robert blu
quiet photographer

In the film times I had two main systems: SLRs nikon (FM2+F100) and lenses + RFs (Bessa R+M7). These systems are complementary and do not need any changes, for thus I do of them.

But now as digital I only have since more than 4 years a small Leica x1. I would like to have something more flexible but I'm confused about which way to follow...

Really changing a system for a different one is not in my mentality...

robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 11-16-2015   #31
oftheherd

In SLR started out with Yashica, and built a screw mount system (who knew you could actually get different lenses? ). Within a couple of years, went to Fujica M42, and I haven't abandoned that, but don't use it as much as I could. Added a Mamiya Super Press 23 and slowly built up a system. Tried a Rolleiflex and eventually gave it away.

Later got a Contax 139Q and then a 167mt, but never used but one Contax lens. I had others that gave me good photos from my M42 lenses. Got a Kiev 4am and set of lenses. Also several folders along the way, from 6x6 to 9x12. Two 9x12 with RF.

SLR remains my preference for all around versatility. Cameras are more tools, so I can use RF when it suits me or it is what a camera comes with, but I don't prefer it nor hate it. I have also added some more Yashica C/Y mount cameras, and some Pentax ME Supers (even smaller than my Fujicas but don't tell anyone).

I have threatened but yet have not gotten rid of any cameras. Some day. Maybe.

Old 11-16-2015   #32
Timmyjoe

Shot Canon FD system from 1976 until I finally threw in the towel in 1996 and sold off the whole system and made the switch to Nikon. Haven't owned a Canon camera since.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 11-16-2015   #33
seagrove
Rich

Started with Olympus in 1978; shifted to Nikon for autofocus in 2000 when I went fulltime as a news photog; stayed with Nikon when I went digital in 2002; and shifted to Fuji X-System when I retired. Loved my Olys for the light weight and metering systems (especially the OM-2S/4T bodies); my Nikon F100 bodies were great (AF module was the same as the F5); kept my Nikon D2H bodies for a decade (all they did was just WORK!); and am enjoying my X-E1 and X100S for the lightest weight and ISO range. So each system had its pros and cons and I was fortunate to be able to get them to fit my style and needs.

Old 11-16-2015   #34
FujiLove

I used nothing but a Nikon D70 (and my iPhone) for 9 years. I enjoyed it but my interest in photography wasn't what it was, so I hardly used it and had no interest in buying anything else. When I finally decided to upgrade to a bigger sensor I bought a Fuji X100S, mostly becasue it was easier to carry. Loved that camera.

I enjoyed the rangefinder style a lot, so I asked my Dad if he still had his old Fed 4. It had been sat in a drawer, unused for twenty years. I shot a couple of rolls of B&W film with it on holiday and Boom! I finally realised that my waning interest in photography was simply utter and complete boredom with digital. The whole process just bores me stupid.

Since then I've tried most types of cameras and currently use a Leica M3, Pentax 6x7 and Rolleicord. I've converted the spare bathroom into a darkroom, develop my film and print it in both B&W and colour.

That old Fed has a lot to answer for.

Old 11-16-2015   #35
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muser53 View Post
System switch? Yeah I switch between Leica M and Nikon gear not by buying and selling but by owning some of each and using what suits my purposes best.
Yes that was what I meant to say, too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 11-16-2015   #36
Sid836

In digital I have shifted to Fijifilm from Nikon. It was a bit rough to get used to a bit different workflow, but being aware of the concepts in the various steps shortened the discomfort quite a bit. I got used to things in no time.
In film I have never used exclusively just one system so I cannot speak of changes of systems in analog.
All these of course from an amateur point of view.

Old 11-16-2015   #37
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

Years ago I sold my digital Nikon gear to get a RF system, when my F100 died I sold the lens and completely switched to Leica. I loved that F100 but I haven't really looked back since

WebsiteFlickrInsta

Old 11-16-2015   #38
Robert Lai

I should add that I got back into Canon FD, thanks to Timmyjoe's cast off gear.

Old 11-16-2015   #39
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Yes and No in terms of switching.

I started with RF on film, switched to P&S, switched to SLR, but came to RF.

On digital I succeeded with DSLRs, but was ready to hit mirrorless.... and went with much more cost effective and simple solution to fulfill my current needs within DLSRs system.

Old 11-16-2015   #40
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Canon --> Nikon --> Pentax

Chris