Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Alleged mistreatment of employees at B&H
Old 10-20-2015   #1
serrada36

Alleged mistreatment of employees at B&H

Not sure if this is the right place to post this... If not, please move to a more suitable location...

Anyway, just curious what the forum members think of this. There are definitely two sides to a story. B&H has denied the claims of poor working conditions etc.

I have purchased quite a lot from B&H over the years.

Will this change your buying habits?

I have included a link to the New York Times article. I'm sure more info can be gathered elsewhere as well.

http://nyti.ms/1Qq0AQd

Old 10-20-2015   #2
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Nothing new here. A worker picks up a box wrong and does body damage then blames the company when all along he/she is the one to blame...or fakes it...then along comes the greedy only wants the workers money union...

When I was working, I saw this very same thing happen many times..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 10-20-2015   #3
vytasn

I didn't like the idea of purchasing items from an organization that treated its workers badly so I asked for a explanation before I purchased anything else and this is the reply:

"Thank you for reaching out to inquire about the recent news articles you've seen. At B&H we value your feedback and appreciate your concern for our business and our staff. Allegations in the public are just that, allegations; and we would like to take the opportunity to set the record straight.

B&H Photo is a classic New York business who recognizes we could not have grown from where we began to what we are now without the dedication and contribution of our employees, each of whom is a valued team member. Employee satisfaction is as important to us, and as vital to us, as customer satisfaction. The two are intertwined. Our commitment to our employees runs as deep as it does to our loyal customer base. They are the reasons we are here and to both we are eternally grateful.

We have committed, devoted, hard-working employees who earn above-average industry salaries, generous benefit packages, 17 paid days off annually, and 3-weeks paid vacation time. Our average employee tenure in our distribution and fulfillment center is more than five years. We provide terrific benefits, highly competitive wages and a safe, friendly environment.

B&H has a strong and independent human resources department which strictly adheres to workplace regulations. We take matters of employee safety seriously and are committed to reaching even higher standards to ensure that we live up to our own expectations commensurate with the excellent reputation we have fostered over many years.

As to the matter of union representation, our employees have the right to seek such representation. It is a decision to be made by our employees, and there is a process underway to resolve that question."

-- -
regards,
Henry Posner
Director of Corporate Communications

Old 10-20-2015   #4
Rick Waldroup

Quote:
Originally Posted by colyn View Post
Nothing new here. A worker picks up a box wrong and does body damage then blames the company when all along he/she is the one to blame...or fakes it...then along comes the greedy only wants the workers money union...

Yeah, it is always the worker's fault, right? And then along come the greedy unions.

I'm from Texas, too, and I can assure people that not all of us down here think like this.

We need unions now more than ever.

I am sure that somewhere, the truth lies in the middle, as it usually does. I fully support the right of the workers to join a union. More power to them.

Old 10-21-2015   #5
skibeerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by colyn View Post

I now have a 40 year long career as a butcher and I have seen many cases of workers having to carry, to, heavy loads and work in unhealthy and dangerous conditions. Often forced to work 60 hour weeks to earn a decent wage and when the body eventually gives up being made redundant.

Of course some people benefit from this and blame the worker.

Old 10-21-2015   #6
thawkins

Where there is smoke there must be some fire!! American business in this day and time inflict as much pain and suffering on their employees and customers as they can get away with. In my place of employment (thankfully only part time) the full time workers regularly have to work on days off and vacation is often curtailed or cancelled. And their average work week often exceeds sixty hours.
Good luck to B&H employees. I will cut back on my business with this institution.

Old 10-21-2015   #7
splitimageview

Unions are pretty much nothing more than a political fundraising arm.

Search for the similar story on Al Jazeera, if you want to see how an emotionally-charged hit piece is written. There is an agenda behind every one of these stories, so it's best to withhold judgment. Things will play out, but more than likely no one on the outside will ever know the full (true) story.

Old 10-21-2015   #8
splitimageview

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawkins View Post
Where there is smoke there must be some fire!! .
Or, where there is wealth, there is a group looking for ways to attack, and profit.

Old 10-21-2015   #9
cjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrada36 View Post
Will this change your buying habits?
http://nyti.ms/1Qq0AQd
Maybe if deposition or trial testimony actually shows a culture of mistreatment (not isolated negligence of one supervisor). Until then, it's hard to know what side or what parts of each side of a story alleged in a lawsuit are true.