Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Those extra lenses in your camera bag
Old 09-13-2015   #1
kshapero
Have not arrived

Question Those extra lenses in your camera bag

I usually have 3 lenses with me at all times. One attached to a camera body and 2 extras in their respective spots in the bag. Many of you do the same, especially if you are a prime lens person. My question to you is, do you cap your extra lenses in the bag or just leave the glass exposed? As I, sometimes, change lenses a lot when I am out and about, but when I do they seem to get dust, etc. on the glass (both front and back). But keeping the caps on slows me down. Any thoughts on the obtuse issue?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 09-13-2015   #2
daveleo
what?

I personally am paranoid about scratching glass in my bag or in handling. If I have a 2nd lens in my bag, it always has both lens caps and is either in it's own little compartment or a lens wrap.
I never do anything fast, so "slowing me down" is a non-issue.

Old 09-13-2015   #3
Robert Lai

Always a cap or neoprene hood cover on lenses inside a case. It takes only a few seconds to get these on or off, and it prevents anything from hitting the glass. That includes strap buckles from the camera.

Old 09-13-2015   #4
Larry H-L

With a digital camera, I think using rear caps on unused lenses is a good idea, to help keep dust to a minimum. I don't use front caps, a metal lens hood helps prevent scratches on the front element.

As a former PJ, I used to glue extra rear caps back-to-back. It helps prevent fumbling in the bag.

Old 09-13-2015   #5
back alley
IMAGES

no front caps ever…uv filter plus metal hoods.

Old 09-13-2015   #6
bayernfan

rear cap only. if there's a lot of dust/debris blowing, they'll have a clear/uv filter attached. not having to worry about front caps is so liberating!

Old 09-13-2015   #7
benmacphoto

I always keep the caps on my lenses while in my bag.
My bag is clean, but there is still dust and dirt that can get on the glass.
Also I use the Domke FA-246 insert to keep each lens separate so they don't bang around.

If I need to switch lenses quickly I pop the front cap off quickly while I'm getting the lens from the bag, and with the same hand I then twist the rear cap off.
At the same time with my other hand I remove the lens from the camera.
It takes some practice, but after some time it becomes muscle memory and is fairly quick and easy.

Website

Old 09-13-2015   #8
02Pilot
Malcontent

Rear caps plus screw-in metal hoods, lenses face-down in their respective padded compartments.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 09-13-2015   #9
FrankS

Plastic caps always on the rear and screw-in transparent lens caps on all front ends.

photography makes me happy

Old 09-13-2015   #10
Vics

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Pilot View Post
Rear caps plus screw-in metal hoods, lenses face-down in their respective padded compartments.
That's me too. Although now I've been forced to go digital, I'm shooting with a kit zoom, as I'm paranoid about changing lenses outside.

My Flickr

Old 09-13-2015   #11
mdarnton

Everything of mine has a UV filter. If the hood's long enough, I go with that, but if the hood is short, I use a cap. Back caps on everything.
What? You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Old 09-13-2015   #12
JP Owens

Yeah, a UV filter goes on the lens when new, and never comes off. Always a rear cap.

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 09-13-2015   #13
Brian Atherton

Like a number of posters here I use a UV filter and hood on the front and rear cap on the lens when it is in the bag – just two lenses 35mm and 50mm Summicrons.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 09-13-2015   #14
Bill Clark

If I need to carry extra lenses they are each attached to a camera body with film. Get ready, set, go.

Old 09-13-2015   #15
ABrosig

I'm thinking about the time spent cleaning glass before you shoot vs. the time it takes to remove a couple of lens caps. Also, always the danger of scratching a lens, which has been mentioned. I cap 'em.

http://andrewbrosigphotography.blogspot.com/
http://instagram.com/andrewbrosig
http://www.andrewbrosigphotography.com

In hoc loco sum

Old 09-13-2015   #16
uhoh7

caps or filters used as caps usually. The exception is hooded lenses in a pouch, sometimes I put em in like that.

Old 09-13-2015   #17
newst

I once chipped the front glass of an excellent lens while in the bag. Since then I go with front and rear caps.

Old 09-13-2015   #18
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
I usually have 3 lenses with me at all times. One attached to a camera body and 2 extras in their respective spots in the bag. Many of you do the same, especially if you are a prime lens person. My question to you is, do you cap your extra lenses in the bag or just leave the glass exposed?
I always cap them or protect them with bags or wraps - even more so back when there were so many of them that they might bang into each other. Recently, I have cut down on the variety of lenses I carry - I used to lift many around that never contributed to a keeper photograph, and currently try to stick to a "one extra lens" regime.

Old 09-13-2015   #19
FrankS

I've epoxied 2 rear lens caps together, to carry 2 lenses without them being able to bump into each other.

photography makes me happy

Old 09-13-2015   #20
Spanik

Depends. If I'm just walking around and have time to do the occasional change, then they are capped both sides. But sometimes it has to go fast and then I just put them in the bag (well, an insert that holds each lens separately) like that. Once the urgency over I blow them clean and put the caps on.

Old 09-13-2015   #21
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
Virtually all of my SLR lenses have their attached hoods in place all the time, and these have customized caps made from plastic screw caps, snap caps, and so on which protect the front element filters from cat hairs and dust. Any that don't or are stored with the hoods unattached have either standard front caps, or customized caps like those mentioned above. Additionally, all lenses have back caps attached.
And the mass paranoia about changing lenses outside is for me a non-issue.

Old 09-13-2015   #22
Godfrey
somewhat colored

If I'm actively shooting, each lens sits nose down in its individual compartment with a metal lens hood fitted and a back cap; the compartments are sized such that the lenses can't fall over. (If a very wide angle lens with a bulbous front element and a shallow hood, then a lens cap will be on it too.) Otherwise, they're in the bag in their compartments, capped and protected.

It's easy to blow dust off the front of a lens with a hand-bulb blower. It's much more important to keep the back of the lens spotless.

G

Old 09-14-2015   #23
JChrome
Street Worker

I can't imagine ever needing to switch between lenses so rapidly that the time it would take me to remove a lens cap would make any difference.

But if it did, I'd probably invest in a zoom :-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-14-2015   #24
GaryLH

Front cap removed, uv filter plus lens hood and rear cap. My Leica m rear caps are epoxied back to back.. For faster exchange. Unlike Frank, I leave one side empty. Previously camera mounted lens goes in empty rear cap side, flip and use the new lens.

Gary

Old 09-14-2015   #25
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Hoods will protect from bumping into things but not agains snaps and other small unguided missiles, I cap everything. I have three lenses in a small oblong pouch inside the bag, with the center lens in a leather bag. I can take the pouch out and hook the bag strap to it when I want to travel really light but have an extra lens or two. Tie it around my waist like a belly bag. It's hidden under a big protective layer of Fat that way.

Old 09-14-2015   #26
x-ray

I keep both front and back caps on my lenses when not in use. If I'm working out of a fixed location where I'm switching lenses I'll keep the caps off until finished. My bags all have individual compartments for each lens so they're not hanging into each other. Most if not all lenses have hoods and about half my M glass has filters at least the ones I most often use.

I've had several PJ friends that just threw their bodies and lenses in a bag and then carried it that way. Most of their glass over time had damaged glass and numerous dents and a lot of paint loss. I make my living with my equipment too but have more respect for it than that. In fifty years of photography I've never scratched a lens element.

Old 09-14-2015   #27
Contarama

No way to completely stop the dust if you want to use them. I keep mine capped both ends and each in it's own hard case and then all of the hard cases stuffed in a bag. I am no longer a UV Filter person after testing for myself. If I care about a lens it has it's own case and caps period. I have some soft cases too for rapid changing situations.

Old 09-15-2015   #28
BlackXList

In the bag, they have front and rear caps on, hoods on if applicable, and in lens pouches.

when shooting live music, the lens pouch is on my belt, front caps off, and I pop the rear cap off the new lens/on to the old one and that goes in the pouch

Old 09-15-2015   #29
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

I keep both front and rear caps on my lenses in my camera bag, and work at keeping my camera bags squeaky clean inside. Given the cost of lenses these days, it only makes sense to do this.

My method of shooting does not involve much lens changing, even though I shoot only with prime lenses. I tend to take a look at my scene and subject(s), make a judgement call on which focal length will work best and then attach that lens. I will then work the scene until I have wrung every conceivable image out of it with that particular lens. If there are shots that would be better served by using a longer or shorter lens, I will change to that lens and make those images.

Long ago, I learned that the constant changing of lenses during the shooting process results in a ton of missed images or a ton of wasted time - or both. Less meddling with lenses equates to more images, which is the object of the game IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
I keep both front and back caps on my lenses when not in use. If I'm working out of a fixed location where I'm switching lenses I'll keep the caps off until finished. My bags all have individual compartments for each lens so they're not hanging into each other. Most if not all lenses have hoods and about half my M glass has filters at least the ones I most often use.

I've had several PJ friends that just threw their bodies and lenses in a bag and then carried it that way. Most of their glass over time had damaged glass and numerous dents and a lot of paint loss. I make my living with my equipment too but have more respect for it than that. In fifty years of photography I've never scratched a lens element.
Using your gear is one thing; abusing it is quite another matter. Throwing your gear into a bag and letting the lenses and bodies bang in to each other and get dented and scratched is just not too smart in my humble opinion, but hey - to each his own, I guess.

Some people think it looks cool to have cameras and lenses that are "brassed." They think it makes them look like a veteran photographer or something. I'd rather take care of my gear and actually be a veteran photographer with gear that still works and has not had to have hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of repairs due to mishandling/abuse. Again, JMHO.

@x-ray, I have not been photographing for fifty years yet, but like you I have never scratched a lens element. I did do a faceplant once, turning my 300mm f/4 Nikkor into two 150mm f/4 Nikkors, though. That sucked.

Old 09-15-2015   #30
jmilkins
Digited User

I often take too much gear,so they are capped in the bag, and the changeover becomes a bother. But I value the glass more than the odd missed shot at my skill level.

Lately been enjoying 1 camera and 1 lens and walk around uncapped, or 1 cam two lens combo with 2nd lens capped in pocket or on lens holder on body. Much more freeing to focus on the image making.

When going frantic, a 1 lens per body up to 3 bodies is doable, but 2 bodies 2 lenses uncapped much preferable.

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.

Old 09-15-2015   #31
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Sometimes I'll take DSLR out. Lenses which goes with it going in the same as they are stored. OEM pouches, good protection filters and cheap caps at both ends. My time and effort to get money for them leaves no desire to just toss them in the bag. Lens leaves the camera, gets caped and pouched before it goes into bag.
But even if it was cheap FSU RF lens, I still handled it with the same respect.

Old 09-15-2015   #32
Mojo

I do not take risk in damaging the glass elements; therefore, all my lenses have a filter attached and are capped at all times. When in use, each lens is hooded. If there is not enough clearance inside the hood to put/remove the pinch-type front cap efficiently, I substitute the front cap with a hood cap.