Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

How often do you shoot below f2.0?
Old 08-28-2015   #1
daveleo
what?

How often do you shoot below f2.0?

If you just did a count of "% of my pictures f2.0 and above" and "% of my pictures below f2.0", what would you say your results would be.

I know that peoples' styles change, so let's say over the last year only.

For me:
98% are f2.0 and higher (smaller aperture).
2% are below f2.0 (larger aperture).

Old 08-28-2015   #2
charjohncarter

Only when I want to try some goofy depth of field shot, that I think will get me on the front page. I try to stay at f 5.6 for both 120 and 35. I still have not figured out digital DoF with APs (?) sensors. But I my buy a FF DSLR just to not have to relearn DoF.

Old 08-28-2015   #3
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
Only when I want to try some goofy depth of field shot, that I think will get me on the front page. I try to stay at f 5.6 for both 120 and 35. I still have not figured out digital DoF with APs (?) sensors. But I my buy a FF DSLR just to not have to relearn DoF.
With APS-C sensor, consider DoF with any given FoV to be one stop deeper ... If you used f/8 with a FF camera, use f/5.6 to get nearly the same thing when using a lens of the same field of view.

Example: 50mm @ f/8 on FF becomes 35mm @ f/5.6 on APS-C.

To answer the original question, I can find more exact data for all my digital camera work when I get home. But for most work, whatever wide open might be, I tend to choose between one and two stops down from that. I only have a few lenses faster than f/2.

G

Old 08-28-2015   #4
CMur12

It is only the very rare exception that I would ever shoot wide open. Rare enough, in fact, that I could fairly safely say I never do it. I almost always shoot between f4.0 and f11 in 35mm and between f5.6 and f11 in medium format.

This is my pattern so far. It doesn't mean that I might not experiment with other techniques in the future.

- Murray

Old 08-28-2015   #5
bucs

For portraits yes, but for everything else i can get by with an Elmar or a Snapshot Skopar

Old 08-28-2015   #6
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
With APS-C sensor, consider DoF with any given FoV to be one stop deeper ... If you used f/8 with a FF camera, use f/5.6 to get nearly the same thing when using a lens of the same field of view.

Example: 50mm @ f/8 on FF becomes 35mm @ f/5.6 on APS-C.

To answer the original question, I can find more exact data for all my digital camera work when I get home. But for most work, whatever wide open might be, I tend to choose between one and two stops down from that. I only have a few lenses faster than f/2.

G
Too much for me, I'll stick to what I know. And if I'm ever more digital I'll go FF just to not have to learn or convert a new. By the why, I really liked your stuff (digital) on the Pentax site. Hasta entonce.

Old 08-28-2015   #7
uhoh7

Everytime it gets dark

.....or if I've been drinking

Old 08-28-2015   #8
Rayt

The rangefinder is my low light tool of choice so I mostly shoot at max aperture. I assume most people on this forum shoot Leicas. I like Leica lenses because of their performance at max aperture. Ditto for Rolleiflex. For large format I shoot at f8 mostly.

Old 08-28-2015   #9
Landberg

bokeh is so boring! Always over 5.6, if i can.

Old 08-28-2015   #10
mcfingon
Western Australia

I like shooting a Sonnar-type lens at f2 and wider apertures. I also like the low-light situations indoors or outdoors that call for these extreme settings. Shot below at sunset on an otherwise dark cloudy day, f1.5 at 1/40th.

Old 08-28-2015   #11
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

On film every time I use J-3 no hesitation to use it wide open.
On digital I have 50 1.2 and using it wide open as well.

But I never used even f2 with LF

Old 08-28-2015   #12
Brian Legge

Depends on the time of year. I often find myself around F2 here in the winter, even with 400 speed film.

Old 08-28-2015   #13
Richard G

Sometimes need f2 with a Summicron, mostly with film. I will use f1.5 with the C Sonnar 50 but only deliberately not out of need and less and less these days. I am also hugging f5.6 and often the lens I have on is an Elmar/it with 2.8 max aperture. Digital allows these smaller lighter lenses to be standard.

Old 08-28-2015   #14
kxl
Social Documentary

In general, I shoot at around f5.6, but I do have a few lenses that I like to shoot wide open, to the point where I would use ND filters to do so, just for the bokeh. These lenses include the Sigma 35/1.4 ART, Sigma 50/1.4 ART and the ZM Sonnar 50/1.5.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 08-28-2015   #15
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I'll generally shoot any lens I can wide open wherever I can because I like the way they perform at maximum aperture.

Bokeh bashing is boring!

Old 08-28-2015   #16
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I'll generally shoot any lens I can wide open wherever I can because I like the way they perform at maximum aperture.

Bokeh bashing is boring!
Have to respect this, especially in the era of Bokeh bashing. I think the answer to the question so much depends on the type of photography one is pursuing.

Old 08-28-2015   #17
Rayt

The kind of photography I do DOF isn't important and at the same time I need the speed because I only shoot during certain lighting conditions. It is just my style. I will start scanning and post photos soon.

Old 08-28-2015   #18
Black
Photographer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

Bokeh bashing is boring!
Said for truth. Also how I feel - the faster and wider (the lens) the better.

All this beating of chests about "reliance on shallow DOF & bokeh being a crutch" is a none argument, due to all the arguments one could apply to any other technique (deep DOF - can't be arsed to critically focus? etc), but ultimately, its subjective. Which is a line a have here in my pocket for any case such as this

Old 08-29-2015   #19
Mcary

Not very often being as the only lens I have that's faster then F2 is the Voigtlander 21mm F 1.8. With exception of working handheld in low light I generally like to shoot at F2.8-F5.6 when shooting people, including portraits as I've found that using an 85mm at F-4 to F5.6 gives me the best balance of sharpness and limited DOF given the camera to subject and subject to background distance I generally like to work at.

Old 08-29-2015   #20
Vobluda

I have f1.5 or f2.0 only to use them wide open, so my answer is almost always if light lets me to do so.

Old 08-29-2015   #21
Charlie Lemay

Always. I nearly always shoot the same subjuct at three or for successive f-stops, starting with the widest. Rating FujinAcros 100 at ISO 6 and cutting development to 4 1/2 minutes gives me incredible scale and makes using wide aoertures in bright sun easy. My EV is f1.5 @ 1/1000. With a rangefinder, everything appears to be in focus in the finder, and you have to imagine what will be out of focus and how that will look. I love that out of focus stuff with extended tonal range.

Old 08-29-2015   #22
tyrone.s

Not when taking landscapes, usually. But generally if I've got faster, I'll use faster.

Old 08-29-2015   #23
B-9
Devin Bro

Always shoot wide open if I can.

Sometimes I will stop down when I breach the M8's 1/8000 max speed. I almost always go straight to Sunny16 at point..

Ive been using a Canon 50-1.2 for a few weeks now and ive shot 98% at 1.2

This lens was built for it.. Stopped down.. Its just another 50.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 08-29-2015   #24
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeH View Post
I don't like to go below f/2.8 for what I shoot.
This.

I rarely need to go below 2.8. But I'm using raw files with a psuedo-ISO invariant camera. I used wider apertures with older sensor technologies. A two stop brightness push in post production produces nice images. I am not interested in ultra-thin DOF.

Sometime this year a Fuijinon 35/2 will become available. I will replace the 35/1.4 as soon as possible. I don't need the wider aperture and I prefer the smaller size. The AF motor technology should be improved as well.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 08-29-2015   #25
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Okay, some real data:

I have about 110,000 exposures in my main, working, LR catalog. About 98,000 of them are from digital cameras which record actual working aperture (the rest are film scans and camera-lens combinations that don't provide real data). In that 98,000, exposures made at lens openings from f/1.0 to f/2 amount to about 8200 exposures, so about 8.3% of the time. If I broaden the range to f/2.8, the percentage jumps up to about 20%, and if I broaden the range to include f/4, the percentage approaches 45%.

G

Old 08-29-2015   #26
mdarnton

I used to be enchanted by sharpness, and would shoot at f/5.6 as much as possible. Then going through my pictures over the years, I see many of my most favorite are shot close to wide open, by necessity. I think the type of isolation that gives works with the way I work, unless there's some specific story-telling value in what's going on in back. Also, now that I've been hanging around large format sites, I am starting to understand what I've been seeing in those large-opening shots is not lack of sharpness, but aberration-induced diffusion, such as one got with old portrait lenses, and I appreciate it more as a different look, not a failure.
What? You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Old 08-29-2015   #27
Roger Hicks

Whenever shutter speeds get too long at smaller apertures...

I'd say that I quite rarely shoot at anything between wide open (when there's not enough light) and maybe f/4 (when there's plenty of light).

That's why I sold my 35 Summicron and kept my 35 Summilux. Both are good at f/5.6, and the Summilux is not too far behind at f/4. The Summicron is better at f/2 and f/2.8. But at f/1.4 the Summilux wins hands down.

Cheers,

R

Old 08-30-2015   #28
daveleo
what?

Thanks for the many replies.
I have a mixed bag of thoughts on shooting below f2.0 and I am glad to see there is a wide range of opinions and shooting styles here. Was beginning to think I am alone in shooting f4.0-f8.0 virtually all the time.
* I also am waiting for the Fuji 35/2.0, and will probably trade off my 35/1.4 for it. Size, I have come to realize, is VERY important to me (assuming equal image characteristics) *

Old 08-30-2015   #29
Nathan King

Almost never for effect, though I have been forced to shoot at f/1.4 quite a bit lately while working on a photo essay on the night life in my town with film. There's only so much film will push before the results become absurd to print in the darkroom. Photography from sunrise to sunset is typically done between f/5.6 and f/11.0.

Old 08-30-2015   #30
robert blu
quiet photographer

I only have two lenses going so open, one is a 50mm 1,4 Nikon AIS and the other is the CV Heliar 35 F 1,7. Both lenses aren't very much used lately and the lenses I use start from F2!

Tha 50-1,4 AIS I use let say 10% of times full open for portrait or experiments like these below, both F1,4

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 08-30-2015   #31
rwintle
Scientist by day

I prefer to stay at f/2.8 or smaller on Nikon DX (crop sensor). My fastest lenses are f/1.8's and I almost never use them, either on Nikon DX or 35mm film, that wide open. I do have one rangefinder with an f/1.7 which I've only shot that wide open to see what it looked like. My fastest MF lenses are f/4.5.

Last edited by rwintle : 08-30-2015 at 08:45. Reason: remembered another camera

Old 08-30-2015   #32
DNG
Film Friendly

It depends on what I want, or what I am photographing....
I don't buy lenses to shoot wide open exclusively...
I buy lenses to use the whole spectrum of f/stops... from f/1.4 to f/22....

I find that I set f/stops between f/5.6-f/16 90% of the time.
I do buy faster lenses (f/2 or f/1.4), but, for the occasional extended family visits where I don't use flash.

Nikon: F2, EM, Konica: FS-1, TC,

Nikkor: 24mm f/2.8 Ais, 28mm f/3.5 Ai, 35mm f/2 O N/Ai 50mm f/1.4 S N/Ai, 105mm f/2.5 P N/Ai
Hexanon: 28mm f/3.5 AR, 40mm f/1.8 AR, 57mm f/1.2 AR

Old 08-30-2015   #33
rhl-oregon
Cameras Guitars Wonders

These days--if the lens can do the work--as much as possible, to isolate the subject from foreground and background. The 50 1.5 C-Sonnar, XF 35 1.4, SLR Magic 23 1.7, Zuiko 50 1.4. Part of it, too, is about focus discipline with manual lenses adapted to digital bodies.

On film bodies, it's a different matter. Not so much the CV 40 at f1.4 on the CL, or the Olympus 40 at f1.4 on the Pen FT. I've wasted enough film on goofy oof (out-of-focus) that way. And I'm more likely to use the ZM 50/2 than the 50/1.5 on the M5 because it's smaller, can get a little closer, and is more idiot-proof or goofy-oof-proof.

Low light and night change everything again, though. Got to have the widest possible iris!

http://rhl.photography

Old 08-30-2015   #34
brainwood
Registered Film User

I like to shoot at wide apertures for some of the pictures I take. I even fit ND filters in strong light so I can open up the lens if the shot warrents it but as a percentage its probably around 75 small aperture and 25 wide open.

RFF Gallery

chrisbrainwood.co.uk

Old 08-30-2015   #35
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
I shoot wide open when I feel it is necessary to do so, but I don't have many lenses that are that fast anyway:
Nikkor 35 1.4 AIS, and a Nikkor 50 1.4 AI (which I use about once every 20 years), and Nikon 35 1.8 and Nikon 50 1.4 (both rangefinder lenses and the 50 has been used once since I got it).

Old 08-30-2015   #36
semrich

I like low light and night shots, and have lenses below 2.8 that I frequently use with HP5 @ 400 pushing the limits with steady hands and shutter release at speeds to 1/15th, most other times I like to shoot at f4. Cameras and lenses 2.8 and above I often use with Delta 3200 for those same low light and night shots.

"The individual is an aperture through which the whole energy of the universe is aware of itself"...

Alan Watts
The Art of Contemplation

http://www.rweatheredgallery.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 08-30-2015   #37
RedLion
Come to the Faire

For informal environmental portraiture, I always shoot wide open (23mm F1.4 & Fuji XT-1)

Old 08-30-2015   #38
Mackinaw
Think Different

Depends on the lens I guess. With my Canon LTM 50/1.2, almost all of the pics I take are between F1.2 and F2.0 because I like the “look” I get at those apertures. With my LTM Nikkor 50/2.0 or Summicron 50/2.0, most pics are shot at about F4.0 - F5.6.

All of these three lenses are a bit soft wide-open, but the Canon has character when shot at a large aperture, the other two don’t. And don’t ask me why.

Jim B.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 08-30-2015   #39
Wulfthari

Everytime I need to do a portrait or I need to isolate a detail, I would say from 5 to 10% of the times I shoot.
Zorki 4K,5,6, Leningrad,Industar 61LD 1:2.8/55,Orion 15 1:5,6/28,Jupiter 8 1:2.0/50,Jupiter 9 1:2.0/85,Jupiter 11 1:4/135,Jupiter 12 1:2.8/35

Old 08-30-2015   #40
raid
Dad Photographer

I had my favorite tele lens (with aperture stuck to 1.4) for several years all the time at 1.4 until recently DAG fixed it. With 50mm lenses, I often use the range 2.8-5.6, but when needed, I set the lens to its max aperture.
With portraits, I mostly use an aperture 1.2~2.8 about 70% of the time. Maybe, 30% at 1.2-1.4.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/