Tips for disposal
Old 08-01-2015   #1
Whateverist

Tips for disposal

Up until now I've been collecting used developer in glass bottles that were headed for disposal anyway and handing them in at the local recycling center's post for chemicals. However, I'm fast running our of disposable glass bottles, and I'm not starting a drinking habit just to keep the supply of empty liquor bottles going.

How do you store and dispose of your chemicals? Can they be safely stored in plastic bottles? Am I better off with small bottles or do I spring for a gallon or bigger jug?

Old 08-01-2015   #2
Steinberg2010

You could try a science supplier? I purchased ten 1-litre plastic bottles to use as chemical storage several years back for practically nothing.

~S

F3, 50mm F1.8 E, 105mm F2.5 (Pre-AI)

Leica M3, M5, 50mm Summicron, 40mm Summicron - C, 35mm VC PI, 35mm Summaron f3.5

Old 08-01-2015   #3
brainwood
Registered Film User

I use one shot developer and it goes straight down the toilet ! I understood that in the small quantities, 600 ml of solution @ 50:1 max , it was OK.

RFF Gallery

chrisbrainwood.co.uk

Old 08-01-2015   #4
ABrosig

Most developers can be disposed of via local waste water systems if diluted with lots of running water. (Caveat-I'm not a chemist nor do I play one on television. I'm going on what I've read on other boards.)

From what I know, fixer is the real problem, due to the potential high levels of dissolved silver/silver salts in the liquid. Silver is antibacterial and, in large quantities, can damage the bacterial balance that makes most waste water systems work. I don't know what that quantity is.

Directly to your questions, yes, plastic bottles should work for short/long-term storage of chemicals. Even used milk jugs of various sizes should be alright. Most of the chemicals we use in the darkroom aren't that corrosive that they would eat through a plastic bottle. My only concern would be how secure is the top? You probably want a top that can be tightly secured in place to prevent leakage/spillage during transport to the disposal site.

http://andrewbrosigphotography.blogspot.com/
http://instagram.com/andrewbrosig
http://www.andrewbrosigphotography.com

In hoc loco sum

Old 08-01-2015   #5
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Most developing chemicals can safely go down the drain. I pour all of mine down the drain,, Only a few seldom used chemicals should be disposed of by turning them in..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 08-01-2015   #6
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrosig View Post
From what I know, fixer is the real problem, due to the potential high levels of dissolved silver/silver salts in the liquid. Silver is antibacterial and, in large quantities, can damage the bacterial balance that makes most waste water systems work. I don't know what that quantity is.
The quantity that can safely be poured down the drain is rather high. I worked for a photo processing service for years and we poured large quantities out and the city waste service was OK with it

The chemicals we used were B&W and color film and paper developing chemicals..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 08-01-2015   #7
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

I store my Kodak Fixer in a Arizona Iced Tea plastic bottle...the bottle is thicker than your normal milk or juice bottles...I keep it in a dark closet and have never had a problem with fixer going bad other than getting used & old...
pf

Old 08-06-2015   #8
Fotohuis

Here in Europe it goes in the chemical disposal box. 50% of all modern developers you can put into the drain. Stop too, only the fixer and some toners (Selenium) you have to collect.

Old 08-06-2015   #9
konicaman
konicaman

Plastic bottles are fine. I use empty 5L windscreen wash bottles.

Min danske webshop med notesbger, fyldepenne og bl詭

Old 08-07-2015   #10
newsgrunt

spent fixer goes into empty wiper fluid bottles which are eventual taken to a waste management facility for proper disposal.

Old 08-07-2015   #11
Filzkoeter
stray dog

Everything simply goes down the drain since I'm not processing industrial quantities with tons of waste
Somewhere I've once read the statements of a chemist, even normal non-industrial quantities of used fixer are completly safe down the drain.

- flickr -

Old 08-07-2015   #12
Bill Clark

Don't know where you live but here is a thought:

To help, suggest if your waste is connected, call the processing facility for sewer and ask what they recommend. With pollution laws in place now, the processing plants take out many chemicals before discharge. Ask how many gallons go through the plant and I think you'll be surprised at the volume of sewage that is processed each day.