Do you protect your Leica with. .. ...
Old 06-15-2015   #1
Red Robin
It Is What It Is

Do you protect your Leica with. .. ...

After the time and expense invested in your Leica (mine is a iiif), do you as a leica user protect your camera with a 1/2 case to save on dust, bumps, dings,and such? Seems to be a wide range of choices and prices. Some look pretty sharp too!

Old 06-15-2015   #2
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Robin View Post
After the time and expense invested in your Leica (mine is a iiif), do you as a leica user protect your camera with a 1/2 case to save on dust, bumps, dings,and such? Seems to be a wide range of choices and prices. Some look pretty sharp too!
I use half cases on my Leica cameras and others when available. I use them for better grip; some minor amount of bump resistance come along for the price and is welcome.

G

Old 06-15-2015   #3
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Yes I use half-cases, and I wish that Luigi cases had been available 40 years ago--my M2 would better off for it.

Old 06-16-2015   #4
Brian Atherton

No. My Leicas are naked as the day they were born.

I've used every camera I've ever owned without a case. I find them clumsy and clunky; a little like using a camera wearing gardening gloves.

"Maintenant, mon ami !"
http://www.asingulareye.wordpress.com

Old 06-16-2015   #5
bucs

I see more M's with dents than LTM barnack cameras. Not sure why

Old 06-16-2015   #6
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Atherton View Post
No. My Leicas are naked as the day they were born.

I've used every camera I've ever owned without a case. I find them clumsy and clunky; a little like using a camera wearing gardening gloves.
I agree. I never understood why Leica owners that complain about a lens being "huge" ( 1/4 inch longer than their 35 Summicron ) and then turn around and bloat their camera with a half case. To each their own I guess.

Old 06-16-2015   #7
bence8810

Naked M3 here. Having said that I do look after it and it stays in a Billingham when not around my neck.
Like with my iPhone, I like the metallic touch so I would never dress her up.

Ben

Old 06-16-2015   #8
RichardPhoto

I agree about not wanting to make the camera larger. My favourite lens is the Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 because with that lens on an M camera it's like a small pocketable point-and-shoot. It makes sense not to make the camera bulkier.

That said, I do worry about the screen on my M8 these days. I would love to find a case that was very thin leather and protected the rear of the camera. A lot that I've seen are too bulky or ridiculously expensive.

Pros / Cons either way I guess...

Old 06-16-2015   #9
Erik van Straten

It depends. Some screwmount Leicas do not have strap lugs, such as the I and the early II. I use half-cases for those.

I also use half cases for my BP M3 and M2 to prevent the abraision of the paint.

Erik.

Old 06-16-2015   #10
dave lackey

This comes up now and then.

I was taught by my parents and every mentor my whole life to appreciate and respect all things and my father was a master machinist. Taking care of tools is a way of life for me. So, yes, if there are protective cases, bags, bottom plate protectors, etc of course I use them. in no way have I ever used anything that hindered my usage of gear. In fact, not protecting my gear would eventually be a huge hindrance.

Aesthetically, I also appreciate well cares for instruments whether it be a Leica, Nikon or whatever. I have restored many cameras and they look like new.

I do the same with cars, furniture, home, and everything. There is a whole mindset that goes with that. Either one understands that mindset or not. Everyone is different.

I happen to live life that way... That's just me.

Dave

Old 06-16-2015   #11
peterm1

I do find a half case to be a pretty good way of protecting a camera from minor accidents when being used. Just make sure it is dry when stored if taken out in inclement weather as leather can absorb moisture.

For storage purposes I have purchased plastic airtight kitchen / food containers of the correct size to take a camera and lens (I use larger ones for SLRs and their larger lenses). My cameras each go into one of these boxes after being securely wrapped in micro fibre cloths of the sort available in hardware stores etc for cleaning purposes. These are perfect for the purpose to which I put them as they seem not to hold moisture, as say cotton would and are very soft. They also provide a good deal of protection from minor bumps. I must have about 20 of these small plastic boxes and use them for unattached lenses as well. (I use marker pen to write the contents on the lids). I find this arrangement to be a worthwhile investment. Particularly as several years ago an upstairs apartment flooded, flooding all apartments below including mine. Had my lenses and cameras not been so stored I would have lost the lot.

Its useful to add that for my Leica M I like the half case as it makes it easier to grip the camera. I have the Leica handgrip for it but its not as secure in my hand I find, so prefer the thickness and grippiness of the leather case. I bought mine on eBay from China where I think it cost maybe $70 or so. Quite inexpensive really and surprisingly good quality.

Old 06-16-2015   #12
Luddite Frank

When mine go out shooting, they are in a 1/2-case made from a Leica III-g case, with the front / top cover un-stitched and put aside. Also, a modern nylon / padded wide-strap is attached to the case-lugs. I will never again trust an old, skinny leather strap.

My own experience is that "naked cameras" get banged-up pretty quickly. They also get dropped.

I do not find the "additional bulk" ( really ??? ) of a case objectionable ?

If "Bulk" is an issue, might as well chuck the whole notion of film camera and shoot with a smarty-phone...

But, that's just my take on it.

Leicas are too well-made and pricey for me to let mine bang-around unclothed.

Old 06-16-2015   #13
raid
Dad Photographer

Half case + insurance.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 06-16-2015   #14
oltimer

The last 2 comments by Peter and Frank X2. Many times I get asked; do you use them? Of course I do, and protect them when working and in storage. I also only shoot on a tripod with the original case covering the unit.

Old 06-16-2015   #15
02Pilot
Malcontent

Yes and no. My relatively pristine sharkskin IIIc spends its time in lower portion of the original case (the previous owner had already detached the upper portion) so it can stay relatively pristine, while my user IIIc with FED 50/3.5 has no case so I can easily fit it in a pocket. I use small modern wrist straps on both.

-Hunter S. Thompson
-
http://filmosaur.wordpress.com/

Old 06-16-2015   #16
oltimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Half case + insurance.
I love the looks and feel of the half case Raid; but the only half case I could get with the tripod mount built in was for my XE-2. I have not seen one for my Leica screw mounts yet. If they are available; I'll jump for one!

Old 06-16-2015   #17
richard_l

I don't use half cases. I don't know whether they do much for protection, but they do provide a better grip. However, I use a hand grip for that.

Old 06-16-2015   #18
alistair.o

I was an half a case man until I discovered the merits of goose fat! Apply it liberally and discover for yourselves the benefits.

PS: The added bonus is my hands are utterly waterproof.

Old 06-16-2015   #19
maddoc
... likes film.

Considering that many if not most Leica lenses are more valuable than the camera body (except original BP and the Leica MP) and in many cases (scratch and haze-free old lenses, Noctilux 50/1.2, 35mm Summilux ASPHERICAL) are very difficult to repair or replace, what is the point to protect the Leica body with a half-case? I am much more afraid of damaging the front-elements of my lenses so have protecting filters on all of them.

flickr
pBase

Old 06-16-2015   #20
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistair.o View Post
I was an half a case man until I discovered the merits of goose fat! Apply it liberally and discover for yourselves the benefits.

PS: The added bonus is my hands are utterly waterproof.
I bet your hands are softer too ;~)

Old 06-16-2015   #21
Luddite Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
Considering that many if not most Leica lenses are more valuable than the camera body (except original BP and the Leica MP) and in many cases (scratch and haze-free old lenses, Noctilux 50/1.2, 35mm Summilux ASPHERICAL) are very difficult to repair or replace, what is the point to protect the Leica body with a half-case? I am much more afraid of damaging the front-elements of my lenses so have protecting filters on all of them.

Good point; I would bet real money that most of us who believe in the value of a case on the body also have a protective filter over the lens.

I can't imagine carrying an LTM around in a pocket... maybe it's because I have thick thighs, but I don't think I could even get the bugger in there...

Old 06-16-2015   #22
Erik van Straten

I also use a case (only the lower part) for my M5. It is a rather special thing, not originally Leitz, but made by Kameraleder Los Angeles (made in the USA). It is much nicer than the original Leitz ones, smooth soft black leather, but not slippery, very nice to hold. It has lugs at both sides, so the problem of the only two lugs of my M5 is solved as I can carry the camera in the conventional way.

My M3 with Leicameter (without lens) in half case weights 837 grams and my M5 in the case mentioned above (without lens) weights 857 grams.

Erik.

Old 06-16-2015   #23
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Cases are for beer, not cameras.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 06-16-2015   #24
FrankS

i use Zhou half cases for my M2 and CLs. protection and improved grip. On the CLs, i prefer a horizontal hang and the case allows that. My llla goes naked however. i use clear filters to protect front elements of several of my vintage leitz lenses known to have easily scratched soft glass/coatings.

photography makes me happy

Old 06-16-2015   #25
B-9
Devin Bro

Looking forward to using a case on my III, which user Burancap is sending my way, much appreciated!

I do not always carry a bag with me, and most times im on the move in various conditions. I do not always treat my cameras like delicate flowers. So I feel a half/full case is a great compromise for me.

I wish Fuji made a soft pouch for the GA645zi, did they!? I take mine everywhere, and its getting ugly quick!

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 06-16-2015   #26
Robert Lai

Working in health care, I've seen a lot of incidents where a man wishes he had worn a condom.

I guess it works the same way for cameras.. A little bit of extra bulk is a minor price to pay compared to the regret from "damage" that occurs unprotected.

Old 06-16-2015   #27
BillBingham2

I'm a naked sort, with a twist. While have way too many soft case, I really like a small hard case to protect the camera when it's not in-my-hand/around-my-neck.

I think back to what Jim from Ken H said to me years ago when I purchased my first M lens "don't keep cleaning it, keep it clean". I'm mindful of the camera but as I carry so little (compared to what I lugged around in the early 80's) it takes so little bandwidth (concentration) I'm much happier.

B2 (;->

Old 06-16-2015   #28
Spavinaw

Fake it! There have been a couple of mentions of removing the front of a Leica case and someone wanting a tripod socket on a half case. Simple solution. Use a Canon case for your Barnacks. Not only can you unsnap the front half, you have a very robust tripod socket included. Also, once you remove the front it's not too obvious you're using a Canon case if that matters. Even as I type, my IIIf is living in a Canon half case. And another point in Canon's favor is that, unlike Leica, the Canon case has holes for the strap lugs allowing you to easily use any strap you want.

Old 06-16-2015   #29
hendriphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite Frank View Post
... I would bet real money that most of us who believe in the value of a case on the body also have a protective filter over the lens....
You got that right!

Old 06-16-2015   #30
Dralowid
Michael

There are plenty of old Leica cases around missing their front flap/top (which normally falls off in time). They make excellent 'half cases' but make sure the straps are still strong and have not deteriorated into that dry cardboard substance that is the fate of much old leather.

Old 06-16-2015   #31
robert blu
quiet photographer

I don't protect my M7, I just use it !
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 06-16-2015   #32
seakayaker1

I have an A&A half case on my MP and M6TTL.

I do not have any on my digital M's

Life is Grand! ~~~ Dan
M Monochrom ~ M-P (240), M6 TTL & MP ~ Mamiya 7 II ~ GF1 ~ K5IIs
~ Rolleiflex f3.5 with Carl Zeiss 75mm Planar (type 4) ~
The hardest part of starting a new project is starting it ~ Keith Carter
Flickr Sets: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Old 06-16-2015   #33
Luddite Frank

Speaking of Canon cases, I wonder if FED cases are also an affordable alternative ?

( An FSU case from Fedka certainly was for my Contax III-a... )

Old 06-16-2015   #34
zauhar

No case and no strap, I can't stand something dangling from my neck.

Also, I have seen/heard of catastrophic results when cases and straps catch on things.

Randy
Canon 7/50mm f1.4
Leica IIIf/Summitar/Collapsible Summicron
Yashica Electro 35