Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Nikon F --- All it's cracked up to be?
Old 08-21-2013   #1
grapejohnson

Nikon F --- All it's cracked up to be?

just curious about the original nikon f -- it's one of the prettiest cameras i've ever seen, is it equally as nice to use? are the successors (f2, f3) better, if so why? i know how good the optics are. this is a legendary camera, what seems to be the m3 of SLRs, just wondering why and what makes it so great to use as i've never been able to use one personally.

also, how is the photomic meter? what pattern is it, center weighted?

Old 08-21-2013   #2
David Murphy

I use them with the meterless prism. That's how many photojournalist pros used them back in the day and I find it a rare pleasure to do so even today.

The photomic's need to be calibrated and converted to use modern batteries, not that big a deal, but there are plenty of other newer fine film SLR's that are better with meters (e.g. Pentax).

The F is a very, very fine camera if well maintained and the lenses, plentiful, superb, and not too expensive for what they are!

In my never-too-humble opinion an F with a meterless prism is in the same class of the Leica M2 or M3 as far as representing a criterion of quality and usability.
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 08-21-2013   #3
grapejohnson

unmetered seems the way to go with one, they look so good that way

Old 08-21-2013   #4
Paulbe

The ONLY thing I've found with the original F is that, while changing the film, the back comes completely off. It is not hinged. So--you have to figure out what to do with the back while you're spooling in the new roll..I think many folks just held the back in their teeth---or some other unique solution. O/W--a great machine.
Paul

Old 08-21-2013   #5
Jack Conrad

I can gush on and on about the beauty and merit of the legendary Nikon F,
if you're going to give one away like Keith did with an OM.

Old 08-21-2013   #6
lukitas
second hand noob

The button was all wrong on the f and just right on the f2.
and the f would cut you, with all its sharp corners.
I loved my f2. Very good meter.

Gallery

photos by lukitas

Old 08-21-2013   #7
Tom A
RFF Sponsor

I fully concur with David here. A good, working F with the prism is the M2 of SLR's. Solid and reliable and they can take an awful lot of abuse. You can add or remove things from it, meter prisms, screens, motor drives, even 250 backs if you want to wrap your self in wet film in the darkroom. The classic lenses from Nikon are still among the best primes around - cheap too. I just like the simplicity of the design - one of the most sophisticated cameras made - particularly when you think back to 1959 - I keep a couple around (OK 5-6 of them) with basic lenses, 21/35/50/ 105. Buying one. look for a well used one - they don't like being idle (foam bumper for the mirror dries out and occasionally you will find small colonies of bugs residing in them) - and they are cheap enough that you don't have to baby them!

Old 08-21-2013   #8
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapejohnson View Post
just curious about the original nikon f -- it's one of the prettiest cameras i've ever seen, is it equally as nice to use? are the successors (f2, f3) better, if so why? i know how good the optics are. this is a legendary camera, what seems to be the m3 of SLRs, just wondering why and what makes it so great to use as i've never been able to use one personally.

also, how is the photomic meter? what pattern is it, center weighted?
The Nikon F is a legendary camera, deservedly. It's amazingly robust, built like a tank, and yet a good design for repairs too. The viewfinder optics are terrific. The range of options (finders, focusing screens, lenses, bulk film backs, motors, etc) for the F was nearly endless.

The first TTL metering head was the Photomic FT, which was a simple averaging meter with manual maximum aperture indexing. The next model, the Photomic FTn, introduced Nikon's classic center-weighted averaging meter pattern, which was the basis of all Nikon TTL metering in the pro bodies until the F4 almost 20 years later.

The F's Photomic heads are good, but they're old tech and old. There are a couple of people who can rebuild them to as-new or better specs now; they have a couple of fallibilities. Mostly, though, I use the plain prism head with mine nowadays.

The Nikon F2 was a nicely improved body with a number of good additional features, and the last of the line of pro Nikon Fs that had mechanically timed shutters. The F3 that replaced it was another excellent improvement in almost every way as well.

Fact is that ALL Nikon F line cameras are legendary, right up the F6 ... Although I have a sentimental attachment to the old F. ;-)

G

Old 08-21-2013   #9
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

If you're "just" a normal photographer, the F is "just" a normal camera.
Most people don't take advantage of any of the finer points of the system and may as well use the Nikkormat (or many other Japanese SLRs).

I'll concur that the F2 is in many subtle respects a better camera, even if you're just a normal photographer that won't bother with mirror lock ups, interchangeable screens, or ever switch finders out. It just handles better.

Old 08-21-2013   #10
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I have to agree (even as an Oly fan) that it's a great lineage with barely a bad camera in it.

And ending in a pinacle of what has to be the best SLR ever made ... the F6.

Old 08-21-2013   #11
tjh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom A View Post
occasionally you will find small colonies of bugs residing in them!
I had "bugs" in an FM2 and an F3. I think they appeared on a trip to Central America. It was weird to see tiny animals walking across the focusing screen. I finally put the cameras in containers with desiccant and never saw the "bugs" again. I still have both cameras and they work perfectly.

Tom

Old 08-21-2013   #12
grapejohnson

the 1/2000th of the f2 seems nice, as does the swing back, but something gets me about how an original f looks. it's one of the only cameras i'd buy just for how awesome it looks. anyone who has pictures taken with one feel free to share!

Old 08-21-2013   #13
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

I picked one up off eBay a couple of months ago with the eye level finder for $68. It had an off brand cheap 35mm lens which I sold on Craigslist. Since I already have several Nikkor lens it was put to good use. I've owned several over the years and is one of the best SLR's around.

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 08-21-2013   #14
Pioneer

I picked one up a few months ago just to see what all the uproar was all about. Nice camera but I still prefer my little Pentax SV. Completely different design philosophies for sure.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 08-21-2013   #15
squareshooter
-

When the original "F" came out there was just not anything like it. Scientific photogs I knew liked the Exacta system (you could use them with a microscope and all) but the F was more reliable and you could get it with all kinds of lenses and other goodies. I never liked the Photomic finder. You could get a second body (a Nikkormat) for about the price of the Photomic and use that to read the light. George Lucas shot his film "Star Wars" with Nikon F glass.

Old 08-21-2013   #16
dbarnes

Great camera -- an immortal little brass box that can do anything.

And already has done it a million times.

From here to the moon and back.

But it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Cheap to try.

nikon f --- all it's cracked up to be?
Old 08-21-2013   #17
Sam Kanga

nikon f --- all it's cracked up to be?

nikon f --- all it's cracked up to be? - Yes

I have 2 and use the prism finder only.

sam

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135813
Old 08-21-2013   #18
leicapixie

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135813

It's everything that everybody says it is!
It's rugged,strong and very reliable.
The Nikon F can undertake almost any assignment.
It is a harsh camera. No soft lines of a Leica M3.
The advance lever can cut you(forehead) ,
the removable back can pinch one being replaced.
The flash socket can make things lively, if using the coupler
for strobe attachment.
Mine have traveled the world.
The lenses that were part of my system, all are great.
The Photomic meters can be repaired..
I chose to add a F3 rather than bother.
Never use Nikons with Leica, if you interchange lenses.
All dials, mounts and lens focus direction are opposite.

Old 08-21-2013   #19
aizan

i'm thinking of starting a kickstarter to manufacture replacement prisms for the eye level finder. almost all of them exhibit separation and/or desilvering.

until then, i'd go with the f2.

Old 08-21-2013   #20
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
i'm thinking of starting a kickstarter to manufacture replacement prisms for the eye level finder. almost all of them exhibit separation and/or desilvering.

until then, i'd go with the f2.
Why not just send them to get resilvered?

Old 08-21-2013   #21
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

For no particular reason a Nikon, any Nikon, has yet to come my way. I've got my hands full using the stuff I have, because I do buy cameras to use, so getting into Nikon seems unlikely at this point. But when I read about Don McCullin's experience in Cambodia, and saw his camera, I was mightily impressed. I knew immediately that the one Nikon I have to own is an F.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/samdoman/4329201946/

It may be the next camera I purchase. Of course the Nikkor lenses have impressed me greatly also, but for sheer toughness, I think the F reigns supreme.
Cheers
Brett

Old 08-21-2013   #22
FrankS

Great cameras!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.8 KB, 168 views)

photography makes me happy

Old 08-21-2013   #23
aizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunalegs View Post
Why not just send them to get resilvered?
i was talking with dean of dean's camera repair (sorry, i forgot his last name) a year or two ago, and polishing off the silver coating changes the prism's geometry enough that you can say goodbye to 100% coverage. maybe he's just being too picky. anyhow, when you add the cost of repairing the separation, which is likely, you might as well make a new prism instead.

Old 08-21-2013   #24
Robert Lai

The eyepiece optics on my plain F prism did separate. Luckily, Authorized Photo Repair here in Illinois still had new old stock Nikon parts. It was a simple matter for them to exchange the separated doublet for a new old stock cemented replacement element when they overhauled the camera. New foam, and other goodies, and the camera feels very very smooth to use.

Old 08-21-2013   #25
redisburning
-

if you want a metered camera, get an F3. plus, electrical shutter timing is a GOOD thing.

if you don't care for a meter, then the F vs F2 debate comes down to looks and if you can live with the back plate of the F IMO. plain prisms for either cost way too much but I wouldn't have any other personally. the meter heads, at least to me, are so ugly that I wouldnt own one, and don't.

I went with the F3HP because it's got a few useful things for me. If I'm going somewhere rough Im renting insured gear anyway.

Old 08-21-2013   #26
peterm1

I like it with the non metered prism. Unfortunately the latter are often hard to find and expensive in good condition as there is something about their shape that seems to make them vulnerable to knocks and hence damage. And to make matters worse, the prism can delaminate. But if you get one, my goodness they make a nice camera (all the usual caveats about renewing the seals etc). I had a NIkon F (still in the box in near mint condition with the FTn metering head) and worked up the courage to take it out and use it from time to time before I sold it still in its box still in almost mint condition. The Ftn head is a little fugly to look at but works quite well although as I say I much prefer the non metering prism. I loved the authoritative way the shutter sounded. Much more manly than the clattery clunk of lesser cameras I was used to.

An alternative if you want one is an early style Canon F1 which I think looks better than the new style Canon F1N.

But both are about as good as you think they would be.

Old 08-21-2013   #27
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

I got my F body at a garage sale and it came with the Photomic Prism (it's big a ugly)) I don't like the Photomic prism and was able to find a plain prism and I like it so much more...
I didn't expect too much from this camera but am truly impressed with it now...
It still works just as good as when it was new so that says a lot about the quality of it...it's smooth and easy to use, nice clean viewfinder and has a sweet sounding shutter...
Mine has a period correct 50mm 1.4 lens mounted and it can turn heads when out on the town...
pf

Old 08-21-2013   #28
David Murphy

I recently used an F with a late model Nikkor 50mm F1.2 AIS (which it accepts with aplomb - unmetered prism deployed). I took a series of available light shots, all wide open, of my 1 y/o granddaughter. What an amazing combination that was - probably the finest super-speed prime in existence paired with the finest mechanical SLR ever. The F, umetered prism deployed at least, will take any Nikon lens as far as I know, even autofocus lenses. Not bad for an SLR that came out in 1959 to say the least!
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

Old 08-21-2013   #29
David Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareshooter View Post
When the original "F" came out there was just not anything like it. Scientific photogs I knew liked the Exacta system (you could use them with a microscope and all) but the F was more reliable and you could get it with all kinds of lenses and other goodies. I never liked the Photomic finder. You could get a second body (a Nikkormat) for about the price of the Photomic and use that to read the light. George Lucas shot his film "Star Wars" with Nikon F glass.
You are right about the Exakta. The Exakta was a great idea (I own a VX), but executed poorly. They are very cool cameras to shoot with and own, with some good lenses available, but they are simply not in the same class reliability wise AND usability wise as the Nikon - the F is light years ahead of any SLR from Ihagee. Exakta is fun to collect and all of that with its cleverness and often weirdness, but absolutely not the tool to pick up when one really needs to be sure one comes home with the photos!

Old 08-21-2013   #30
ChrisLivsey

2 is the magic number

M2 and F2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 08-22-2013   #31
rodt16s

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukitas View Post
The button was all wrong on the f and just right on the f2.
I'm with you

Old 08-22-2013   #32
Rangefinderfreak

My first cameras were leica M2 with 35mm summicron :2 and Nikon F with 105mm :2,5
Thatīs what I made my living the first five years. then came ( with more money) Hasselblads, Sinars, Fuji studio cameras, Digital back for hassy etc etc. I sold my original F to one of my studio assistants, but was lucky to buy it back about eight years ago.
The only feature I would like to have in it is an adjustable diopter eyepiece ( old age, heh)
and the advance lever of F2 with plastic tip. That I modified myself... A truly magnificent camera with the added advantage of reloadable nikon cassettes for bulk film....

Old 08-22-2013   #33
Rodchenko
Olympian

Nikon F is very good for knocking nails in. At 1049g (body only), it's nearly twice the weight of my OM2SP, which I find heavy.

Mind you, I think it was groundbreaking in its time, and I agree that the OM system could only have happened (ten years later) because Nikon took a massive gamble on the F. Thank heavens it paid off, and went on to create some real classic cameras, although I think the best looking, and best shooting, example wasn't from the pro F range at all, but the FM2.

Old 08-22-2013   #34
Ronny

F for Future!
(and History)

Old 08-22-2013   #35
DominikDUK

My favorite 35mm camera my Photomic prism is still working and is accurate. The F2 and the F3 might be the more usable cameras though I doubt it, but imo the F is the best Nikon camera ever build a no nonsense camera of the first order that works and will probably keep on working until the next century.

Old 08-22-2013   #36
OlliL

Originally I was searching for an F, but eventually got an F2, since I couldn't find the former.
To be honest, after shooting it for a few days, while the F would be enough, I'm really happy with the additional features.

Nikon F2 von oliverleschke auf Flickr

Old 08-22-2013   #37
yanchep_mike
Always Trying

I have 2, one silver one black, both work like new, never had a problem. The silver one is from feb/march 1962 which makes it 51 years old and is still working; not many other SLRs are even around from that time.

Old 08-22-2013   #38
henri klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjh View Post
I had "bugs" in an FM2 and an F3. I think they appeared on a trip to Central America. It was weird to see tiny animals walking across the focusing screen. I finally put the cameras in containers with desiccant and never saw the "bugs" again. I still have both cameras and they work perfectly.

Tom
Shutterbugs I guess

Old 08-22-2013   #39
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodchenko View Post
Nikon F is very good for knocking nails in. At 1049g (body only), it's nearly twice the weight of my OM2SP, which I find heavy.

I find this fascinating because there has been some incredible banging on over the years about the bulk and weight of the modern SLR.

If the F does genuinely weigh 1049 grams then I take my hat off to Nikon because I just weighed my F6 which is the culmination of everything Nikon knows about building the perfect film camera and it weighs 947 grams.

Old 08-22-2013   #40
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodchenko View Post
Hmmm that's interesting... Nikon's website says the Nikon F (body only) weights approx. 685 grams (link).

Do you have a special extra tough armor plated version?