Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Xpan & Other Panoramics

Xpan & Other Panoramics For Hasselblad Xpan, Xpan II, Fuji TX-1 and TX-2, and all other Panoramic cameras

Digital Xpan coming?
Old 03-27-2012   #1
jsrockit

Digital Xpan coming?

http://photorumors.com/2012/03/26/ru...digital-x-pan/

Old 03-27-2012   #2
BobYIL

Quite possible if we take 2 X APS-C size (2x23.6 = 47.2mm) which is not far from the Hd4-40 sensor; 44 x 33mm. The project as a whole however seems rather as a fantasy for professional use. For instance the D800 sensor is 36mm on the long end, having almost the same pixel quantity and to cost half.. Also the lenses are available and their costs are way below anything to come from Hasselblad. Even the new X-Pro1 with some cropping up & down could easily satisfy the panaromic needs of professionals beyond A3 width (yes!).. Add to these also the advantages of CMOS, ISO 6400, live view, weight, size and low cost..

just my 2-cents of course..

Old 03-27-2012   #3
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Not a lot of excitement over the prospect of a digital X-Pan!

The previous post ^ pretty well sums up why I think.

Old 03-27-2012   #4
Jubb Jubb

Do either of you guys own an xpan?

It's not at all the same shooting in a standard mode then cropping for panorama. Composing and shooting in that panorama is a joy and a challenge. The idea of a digital xpan is exciting, however i don't think it is much more than a rumour.

Old 03-27-2012   #5
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubb Jubb View Post

It's not at all the same shooting in a standard mode then cropping for panorama. Composing and shooting in that panorama is a joy and a challenge. The idea of a digital span is exciting, however i don't think it is much more than a rumour.

No but I've wanted to at various stages so I have nothing against the camera personally if that's what your infering.

I just think a digital version would struggle at the suggested price against the high resolution full frame digitals that are out there that cost half this amount.

But I appreciate what you're saying about being able to view subjects in the format you intend your final output to be.

Old 03-27-2012   #6
Jubb Jubb

No I agree. It would struggle at that price point. Not inferring you had anything against the camera. i just think it's funny how people think that by cropping a photo, it satisfies their needs for panoramic framing. The two are completely different and to me, would not satisfy.

Old 03-27-2012   #7
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
No I agree. It would struggle at that price point. Not inferring you had anything against the camera. i just think it's funny how people think that by cropping a photo, it satisfies their needs for panoramic framing. The two are completely different and to me, would not satisfy.

I agree totally with your cropping point ... especially for the ultra wide panoramic formats.

I've often mused over getting an X-Pan but always felt that the price may not justify the use it would get ... though that pretty well classifies a lot of my gear!

Old 03-27-2012   #8
BobYIL

Quote:

It's not at all the same shooting in a standard mode then cropping for panorama. Composing and shooting in that panorama is a joy and a challenge. The idea of a digital xpan is exciting, however i don't think it is much more than a rumour.
All the panoramic format cameras (from X-pan to 6x17 ones) are crop cameras by masking the top and bottom portions of the illumination circle of the lenses used according to the film format. The only ones not cropping are the rotating lens types, like the Widelux, Noblex or Horizon.

I think some mirrorless or P&S digital cameras too having panorama modes, for example the Nex series has three (I think) frames panorama mode (although I have a 5N, never needed to check it.. )

Old 03-27-2012   #9
emraphoto

i would do many silly forms of dance for a digital x-pan.

Old 03-27-2012   #10
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraphoto View Post
i would do many silly forms of dance for a digital x-pan.

Please prove this with an appropriate you tube clip!

Old 03-27-2012   #11
Jubb Jubb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I've often mused over getting an X-Pan but always felt that the price may not justify the use it would get ... though that pretty well classifies a lot of my gear!
Keith, they aren't too expensive compared to a lot of other gear out there, and they easily pay themselves off in satisfaction after getting some shots back. They scan in pretty big, so you can get a decent 1m wide print out of them... Mine cost little over AUD$1000. So well worth it.

A digital version would be exciting. However you get different shots from all the different film types out there, I'm unsure if it would be as good!

It has to be the best camera i have ever owned.

Old 03-27-2012   #12
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Please prove this with an appropriate you tube clip!
well, i need to maintain some degree of respect Keith. AFTER the digital span shows... then all respect goes out the window

Old 03-27-2012   #13
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Keith, they aren't too expensive compared to a lot of other gear out there, and they easily pay themselves off in satisfaction after getting some shots back. They scan in pretty big, so you can get a decent 1m wide print out of them... Mine cost little over AUD$1000. So well worth it.

A digital version would be exciting. However you get different shots from all the different film types out there, I'm unsure if it would be as good!

It has to be the best cameras i have ever owned.

Stop it ... now!

Old 03-27-2012   #14
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

I think a pano digital back for Hasselblads such as the 500C/M and subsequent, might be a good way to create a digital panoramic camera without having to make a whole new camera. a 24 x 54mm sensor might not be too hard to come up with, and would fill the bill for me. The same idea applies of course, to the Rollei and Mamiya medium format SLRs, and perhaps others (can't think of any others).

Old 03-27-2012   #15
Turtle

I like my Xpan very much, but framing and producing genuinely strong compositions is challenging. I think that without a true panoramic viewfinder, you can produce scenics, but you have next to no chance for street/docmentary work. Working with an Xpan is completely different to a conventional format and cropping. Seeing as framing and composition affects what you have on film/sensor, the two cannot really be likened.

FWIW, the Xpan is one of the most solid, well constructed and 'good to use' cameras I have ever laid hands on. I worked with mine recently in India and enjoyed it, but felt the 45mm too tight too often. I now have a 30mm and will see how that goes. If I do not feel that I can move up a level, in terms of 'flow' then the whole lot will go up for sale. I do, however, have a feeling that the 30mm will be a game changer.

Can anyone point to the work of any photographer using a regular format and cropping, where there is a body of superb panoramic work? I am guessing not and this is my point.

Old 03-27-2012   #16
zthee
It's friday!

If it comes, I do hope it's wider than 24 x 54 (2.25:1). I really enjoy the 2.7:1 ratio. Though with the sensors available, I guess there's not much of an option?

If it's a dXpan, let's hope the new lenses matches the old Xpan. A dream would be a fast 35mm lens...

Old 03-27-2012   #17
oleg_hk

It doesn't have to be a full frame xpan, right? Same ratio cropped by 1.5 or, hell, even 2, is probably doable I hope
I would pay for the extra frame width pro rata from X Pro 1..

x pro 1 does look similar to xpan off the pictures

Old 03-27-2012   #18
rxmd
May contain traces of nut

At crop factor 2 it would be possible to mount ordinary full-frame lenses, the image circle is large enough.

Even if you stick 2 APS-C sensors next to each other, the image circle of many ordinary lenses would be large enough.

I don't think it's likely though.

Old 03-27-2012   #19
hausen

Love my Xpan and always dreamed of a digital version, M9 pricing not so much though.

Far too many cameras & lenses!

Old 03-28-2012   #20
jsrockit

If they do make this, it will be M9 priced... how could it not be (Hassleblad name, bigger sensor, etc).

Old 03-28-2012   #21
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Hasselblad had long left the field of camera design and production, it has been reduced to little more than a brand marketing Fujifilm pro equipment outside Japan. Even if their new investors plan a return to design and production, they cannot roll out a entirely new camera within a year. Even more so as it would be in several ways of a type they have never designed - everything digital, small format or rangefinder they have ever sold was designed and made by others.

Unless Fujifilm release such a camera for Hasselblad to re-brand, I'd be extremely surprised if Hasselblad came up with one this year...

Old 03-28-2012   #22
sleepyhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I worked with mine recently in India and enjoyed it, but felt the 45mm too tight too often. I now have a 30mm and will see how that goes. If I do not feel that I can move up a level, in terms of 'flow' then the whole lot will go up for sale. I do, however, have a feeling that the 30mm will be a game changer.
Turtle, I know exactly what you mean by the 45mm being often too tight. I nearly completely gave up on the Xpan after a short while due to this. Then I borrowed a 30mm for a weekend, but felt it was too wide (I know others feel it's perfect for what they do). Plus the auxiliary view finder adds quite a bit of bulk. Then there's the slow aperture and the price tag on the 30mm lens.

In the end, I bought a Xpan-Nikon F adapter and now use the 35mm PC-Nikkor f/2.8 almost exclusively on my Xpan. I find its field of view perfect for my way of seeing. I can use the entire viewfinder for framing, and this is reliable enough for me. Sure the lens is not rangefinder-coupled and needs to be focused by scale, but I've gotten quite good at it, and even carry a pocket tape measure in my bag for subjects under 1 meter in distance (the PC-Nikkor focuses down to around 30cm if I remember correctly). Although I try to use the PC-Nikkor stopped down to f/8 or f/11 (seem to be the optimum apertures), I've got quite good results even at f/2.8 with good bokeh and no noticible vignetting.

So I kept the Xpan. The 45mm lens stays in the bag for when I'm in wide-open spaces.

Sorry to ramble so much off topic.

Old 03-28-2012   #23
Doug

I wonder if a pano-proportion focusing screen mask for the Pentax 645D would be sufficient as an alternative, as I doubt a user-changed sensor mask in addition would be feasible. Assuming you have a 645D of course.

Yearning a bit myself for an Xpan, I went cheap and bought a pano adapter set for my Pentax 67. It consisted of a 24x66 focusing screen mask, a matching film-plane mask, and little spacers to hold a roll of 35mm film in place. Without a method for rewinding the film, the use of 35mm film is awkward, but otherwise it worked pretty well. Widest lens however is the 45mm f/4 unless the 35mm fisheye appeals.

Old 03-28-2012   #24
Araakii

I don't know how many would pay that much money for such a specialized camera. I use my xpan maybe 4-6 times a year and that's already a ridiculously low utilization for a $1500 system.

Old 03-28-2012   #25
oleg_hk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
If they do make this, it will be M9 priced... how could it not be (Hassleblad name, bigger sensor, etc).
And that will be quite all right. After all there would be an M9 inside that thing. If I could mount good fast glass on film xpan I'd never buy any other RF, whatever color dots it would have

Old 04-16-2012   #26
hausen

I know 4 or 5 guys who have Xpans now and we all admitted we would struggle to ignore a digital Xpan. My Xpan is probably the best camera I own and that includes my M9. My hit rate is close to 100% with Velvia.

Far too many cameras & lenses!

Old 09-09-2012   #27
IEDEI

anyone know if these rumours have turned out to have any basis for Photokina 2012? sorry for digging up an old post (march/2012).....

these guys are thinking there may be a Hasselbad XPan digital evolving out of a rebadged Fuji Xpro.....that would be....weird and interesting.
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/medium...na-year-4.html

Old 09-09-2012   #28
rbelyell

gosh i hope so! now THAT would be a camera even i would pay $3000 for, as opposed to some mini sony sensored FF with a fixed lens and no vf!

Old 09-10-2012   #29
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbelyell View Post
gosh i hope so! now THAT would be a camera even i would pay $3000 for, as opposed to some mini sony sensored FF with a fixed lens and no vf!
I think you're going to have to double or triple your cash if this camera does come to market.

Old 09-10-2012   #30
maddoc
... likes film.

A digital XPAN would be a special camera, not sure if accordingly priced high or low to attract new customer. If designed with interchangable lenses and an optical VF / RF system I would be seriously intrigued.

flickr
pBase

Old 09-10-2012   #31
rbelyell

i would be happy for the body alone and native ability to use the xpan film lenses. imo, theyre fabulous! in addition, leica r lenses, like with the film xpan, could be easily adapted, but unlike the film cam, would be fully 'focusable' on digital.
tony

Hasselblad PC @ PK 2012
Old 09-10-2012   #32
veraikon
xpanner

Hasselblad PC @ PK 2012

The Hasselblad PC @ PK 2012 will be 18th Sept. 2012 at Kristallsaal 3 from 14:00 - 15:00 (CEST).
Afterwards weŽll know more

Old 09-10-2012   #33
lam
Dave

Quote:
i would be happy for the body alone and native ability to use the xpan film lenses. imo, theyre fabulous! in addition, leica r lenses, like with the film xpan, could be easily adapted, but unlike the film cam, would be fully 'focusable' on digital.
tony
I'd love to use my X-pan converted Cron-R on a digital x-pan

Old 09-11-2012   #34
veraikon
xpanner

till now only a H5D http://www.hasselblad.com/promotions/h5d.aspx

no dXpan
Old 09-18-2012   #35
veraikon
xpanner

no dXpan

...but a relabeled NEX + FF DSLR
http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...compact-camera

Old 09-18-2012   #36
rbelyell

nope. just a sony pig with hassy lipstick selling at kobe beef price...
tony

Old 09-18-2012   #37
GaryLH

Quote:
nope. just a sony pig with hassy lipstick selling at kobe beef price...
tony
On that note... Time to put some film thru my xpan

Gary

Old 09-18-2012   #38
Gid

That has got to be the ugliest camera ever and the most desperate move from a respected name.

My Top Ten

Gid

Old 09-18-2012   #39
sanmich

Makes me wonder,
I understand that in order to create an interesting panoramic frame you need to see it when you shoot it and that it's very different than cropping.
why wouldn't Nikon introduce a pano mode in their D600/D800 ?
just light on these pano frames, the same as the frame for DX lenses...

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site

Old 12-15-2018   #40
sepiareverb
genius and moron

X1D is the digital Xpan.