Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: When do you charge the shutter / advance the film?
Immediately after I shoot 187 76.95%
Wait until next shot 56 23.05%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Do you charge the shutter immediately after each shot?
Old 06-27-2011   #1
AFenvy

Do you charge the shutter immediately after each shot?

I know I always do as a force of habit, my hand automatically cranks the film advance every time I fire the shutter. But I have seen quite a few people that wait to charge the shutter until they are about to take their next shot - is there any advantage to this? Besides not accidentally bumping the shutter release and wasting a shot?

Old 06-27-2011   #2
Damaso
Photojournalist

I never do unless I am immediately going to take another shot

My Blog
Personal Instruction
In Photography

M8
M6TTL .58
M6TTL .85
50mm Summilux Pre-Asph
90mm Summarit
Ultron 35 f1.7
VC 75 f2.5

Old 06-27-2011   #3
jan normandale
Film is the other way

only with a Hasselblad MF (ie 500 series) do I advance the film after a shot. This is actually recommended by the makers.

it's all about light

Old 06-27-2011   #4
Roger Hicks

Normally, yes. You never know when the next pic is going to come along -- unless it´s immediately, in which case you need to wind on anyway.

But not with large format, I have to admit.

Cheerts,

R.

Old 06-27-2011   #5
craygc

Every time without question... One less thing I have to think about in taking a shot, especially in fluid shooting environments

Old 06-27-2011   #6
craygc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
Older bodies don't have a shutter button lock, like say - the M7, M8 or M9. So to prevent accidental exposure, you might not want to wind on - at least, if it's in a bag.
That's easily fixed with an elastic hair tie and a softie

Old 06-27-2011   #7
ruby.monkey

Depends - if the camera is on a shoulder strap or in my hand, then yes; if it's going straight back into my pocket then no (except for the Olly Trip 35, since that takes two strong men and a sledgehammer to fire the shutter).

In general I will - I've lost too many photos by trying to wind on before the shot, only to find I've already hit the end of the roll.

Old 06-27-2011   #8
iBay
Insoo Bay

Absolutely. You never know when you will have next "decisive moment".

Old 06-27-2011   #9
ruby.monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBay View Post
Absolutely. You never know when you will have next "decisive moment".
I do. Gotta love duck tape.

Old 06-27-2011   #10
dct

In event situation: always. Otherwise I wait until the next shot comes up. But, Rollei B35: You have to crank the shutter lever to be able collapsing the lens.

Old 06-27-2011   #11
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Always wind up right after shooting. Advancing the film may take one valuable second and then the moment is gone. Better be ready than sorry.
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 06-27-2011   #12
hteasley
Pupil

I always wind on from force of habit. I'm not sure I could train my enfeebled brane to do anything else, at this stage.

Old 06-27-2011   #13
RayPA
Ignore It (It'll go away)

I always advance the film immediately after taking a shot. The force of habit is way too strong. However, I've read where it's not healthy for a camera to leave it in a "cocked" state for prolonged periods of time. For example, you take a shot, cock the shutter, and put it away until the next time you shoot. Apparently, a cocked state puts stress on some components of a camera's shutter mechanism. So, I guess that could be another argument for getting into the habit of not cocking the shutter immediately after shooting--because you don't know if that last shot will actually be *the* last shot. I do store my empty cameras in an un-cocked state.

/
I'm ~quinine~ on Flickr
blogged

Old 06-27-2011   #14
Moriturii
Unsui

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPA View Post
I always advance the film immediately after taking a shot. The force of habit is way too strong. However, I've read where it's not healthy for a camera to leave it in a "cocked" state for prolonged periods of time. For example, you take a shot, cock the shutter, and put it away until the next time you shoot. Apparently, a cocked state puts stress on some components of a camera's shutter mechanism. So, I guess that could be another argument for getting into the habit of not cocking the shutter immediately after shooting--because you don't know if that last shot will actually be *the* last shot. I do store my empty cameras in an un-cocked state.

/
Actually, leica engineers have said that it's the same if u have it cocked or not. I am paraphrasing but it was something a long the lines of, the springs or whatever are always at 50% tension, when you cock it's at 75%, he said it's the same, doesn't matter which you do.

Not sure where I read it exactly though, somewhere on the net a while ago.

Old 06-27-2011   #15
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

All my shutters operate freely and I see no need to charge them

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 06-27-2011   #16
rodinal
film user

Quote:
Apparently, a cocked state puts stress on some components of a camera's shutter mechanism. So, I guess that could be another argument for getting into the habit of not cocking the shutter immediately after shooting--because you don't know if that last shot will actually be *the* last shot. I do store my empty cameras in an un-cocked state.
/
Minolta CLE manual advises to leave the shutter uncocked when storing the camera, but doesn't say why (AFAIR).

Old 06-27-2011   #17
Steve Bellayr

If there is film in the camera it should be ready to go at an instant. I tried it the other way and missed too many shots...constantly. With the shutter cocked it maybe fired twice accidently. When there is no film in the camera I do not cock the shutter.

Old 06-27-2011   #18
presspass
filmshooter

In short, it depends. If I'm still actively shooting, I wind on and cock the shutter after every shot. Once I'm finished and the camera's going in the bag, I don't. That way, I don't have the meter battery run down or yet another shot of the inside of the bag.

Old 06-27-2011   #19
barnwulf

My thumb just advances the film without any thought. If for some reason I don't want to advance I really have to concentrate on it. It's just so automatic. Jim

Old 06-27-2011   #20
Kent
Finally at home...

Yes. Always.
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, 7artisans, Meyer, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...

Old 06-27-2011   #21
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

In my case, once I shoot the last frame (and unconsciously advance the film), I have to look for the very last shot and THEN not advance it. Helps to know your cameras aren't laying about with a tensioned spring.
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 06-27-2011   #22
Thomas78

On 35 mm RF I normally advance immediatly.

On MF (TLR and folder) I advance right before the shot because of film flatness issues - and because I think that the (old) leaf shutters should not be under full tension the whole time.

Old 06-27-2011   #23
wdeskiew

It depends. When I'm out and taking photos I cock the shutter after a shot. When I see I'm coming to a finish, I try to leave a camera uncharged.
Actually, these days I use mostly automatic cameras - Contax G1 or Canon DSLR.

My flickr

Old 06-27-2011   #24
cosmonaut

No, just like a gun. I don't cock it unless I want to shoot. I don't want to blow my toe off.lol

Old 06-27-2011   #25
Roberto V.
Le surrèalisme, c'est moi

I always wind right after shooting. I never really think about it.

flickr
My RFF gallery

Old 06-27-2011   #26
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

With a Rolleicord, I will advance the film but won't cock the shutter, unless I know I want to take another shot immediately, because it does not have a shutter lock. Leaving the shutter uncocked prevents accidental release.

With the 2.8C, I will not wind on either, because you cannot set the speed to or from 1/500 once the shutter is cocked (yes, I'm familiar with firing the shutter with the lens covered and then using the multiple exposure facility to set 1/500, if you need to, and I have done this, but it's just easier to advance the film, after I've set the shutter speed).

With a TL Electro X I usually won't advance the film because it can drain the battery. It's not such an easy battery to find in Tasmania, so I don't want to do that.

With the 500C/M I always advance the camera because this is the simplest way to prevent well-documented problems from occurring.

With a Contaflex or a Bessamatic I will nearly always advance the film, because otherwise you can't compose a shot, as they do not have instant return mirrors.

So it all depends on the camera. I suspect a lot of other people who use older cameras regularly, might give the same response for various reasons.
Regards,
Brett

Old 06-27-2011   #27
Chris101
summicronia

I've never heard it called "charging the shutter". I cock my shutter right after hitting the button. Yep, I cock it. Cock. A doodle do.

Old 06-27-2011   #28
cambolt
Green Spotted Nose Turtle

I can only shoot on weekends basically, and very little. Last weekend I made 5 exposures, and that was during at least an hour of dedicated shooting. For this reason I don't advance my film after each shot, since every shot I take may well be my last. I don't want to end up storing a 45 year old camera cocked for a week, especially since it is the only camera I am comfortable using.

Old 06-27-2011   #29
paapoopa

Quote:

/

i think leica is well build enough for it to remain in the cocked state before you take the next shot, unless you are storing it for months before getting your next shot.

but i dont advise doing the same thing to some other cameras like the pentacon six......

Old 06-28-2011   #30
Gabriel M.A.
My Red Dot Glows For You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris101 View Post
I've never heard it called "charging the shutter". I cock my shutter right after hitting the button. Yep, I cock it. Cock. A doodle do.

In this economy, you gotta charge as much as you can!

Fellow RFF member: I respect your bandwidth by not posting images larger than 800px on the longest side, and by removing image in a quote.
Together we can combat bandwidth waste (and image scrolling).

My Flickr | (one of) My Portfolio

Old 06-28-2011   #31
Neare

I wind on immediately and have never had an accidental exposure happen. Not in hand, not in bags, not in pockets either.

People who use Softies obviously put themselves at greater risk!

Old 06-30-2011   #32
taskoni

I wind on immediately and I have many accidental exposures happen! I have to admit, I like some of them very much

I used to always advance right away after every shot. shot.
Old 06-30-2011   #33
leica M2 fan

I used to always advance right away after every shot. shot.

but that all changed as I acquired different bodies especially those without a shutter lock. It also became necessary to wait once i bought soft touch releases for the shutter buttons to keep from wasting a frame. So now I wait till the next shot just to keep everything the same. It works out fine.

TONY
Leica M2 l Nikon D 700 l Sony A7 I

MyGallery

Old 06-30-2011   #34
Steve_F

As my M6TTL doesn't have a shutter lock and I use a softie the answer is no.
I tried it and wasted too many shots of nothingness. If I'm approaching a scene or anticipate something I cock it bringing it up to my eye.
If I'm in a situation where there is the slightest doubt of another shot straight after I will cock it.

Steve.

'Thoughts & Scribbles' Blog

"You look at a colour image, but read a black & white one"

"Personal Development Through Image Construction"

M6 TTL Black, M6TTL Chrome, 35/2 Summicron ASPH, 50/2 Summicron

Nikon FM3A, Mamiya RZ67 Pro II

Last edited by Steve_F : 06-30-2011 at 11:53. Reason: Stupid iPhone auto-correct.

Old 06-30-2011   #35
SuperUJ

I read somewhere from Leica repairmen that leaving the shutter cocked until the next shot gives a lot of tension to the curtain shutters. Ever since I've shot with M5 and M6TTL, I force myself to get rid of the habit of cocking the shutter after each shot, for not draining the battery too.

Old 06-30-2011   #36
TXForester

Most of the time no. If I anticipate another shot in a short period of time, then yes.

Old 06-30-2011   #37
DNG
Film Friendly

Both my cameras charge the shutter after a capture. When I had an M5, Just before the next photo (To save Battery life with meter), With SLR (MF) Before the next shot...

NOW, I have no choice.

Nikon: F2, EM, Konica: FS-1, TC,

Nikkor: 24mm f/2.8 Ais, 28mm f/3.5 Ai, 35mm f/2 O N/Ai 50mm f/1.4 S N/Ai, 105mm f/2.5 P N/Ai
Hexanon: 28mm f/3.5 AR, 40mm f/1.8 AR, 57mm f/1.2 AR

Old 06-30-2011   #38
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Of course. Some of my best photos are of the inside of my camera bag.

Chris

Old 06-30-2011   #39
DNG
Film Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPlatt View Post
Of course. Some of my best photos are of the inside of my camera bag.

Chris
You bet, totally agree!

Nikon: F2, EM, Konica: FS-1, TC,

Nikkor: 24mm f/2.8 Ais, 28mm f/3.5 Ai, 35mm f/2 O N/Ai 50mm f/1.4 S N/Ai, 105mm f/2.5 P N/Ai
Hexanon: 28mm f/3.5 AR, 40mm f/1.8 AR, 57mm f/1.2 AR

Old 06-30-2011   #40
AFenvy

None of my cameras ever has a shutter lock and I have never accidentally exposed a frame.... guess I am lucky.

I have been trying out the whole not advancing until the next shot method, and let me tell you, if I had a nickel for each time I waited for the perfect moment, pressed the shutter, and, .....nothing.... , well I wouldn't be rich, but I'd be less poor for sure. Now I am trying to train myself to cock the shutter as I bring the camera up to my eye, but it is slow going.