Leica Ic verses Bessa L
Old 05-10-2019   #1
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,308
Leica Ic verses Bessa L

Now l have a voigtlander ltm thread 15mmm 4.5, which l have acquired for my New York trip, (amongst other things), now what to mount it on. I already shoot with a IIIg, IIIc, Voigtlander Bessa, so is it just GAS that is driving me to pick up a Ic and/or a Bessa L. I carry a light meter anyway, so metering not a problem and the Ic would look good in the collection/stable, so why am l drawn also to the Bessa L for the New York trip, I realise that the Ic and Bessa L are different beasts, build quality etc.......my oh my what to do................help .....talk me in or out of buying another camera
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

ic
Old 05-10-2019   #2
otveit
Registered User
 
otveit is offline
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6
ic

I would take a barnack over a bessa any day for the 15mm heliar. I used mine on a bessa before, then on a iiic and now on an Mda. The bessa was functional, and took the abuse I handed to it, but to me it does not look as good as a barnack and most importantly does not feel as good. If you dont mind the size I would recomend looking for an Mda, perfect wide angle sidekick if you are into M's.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019   #3
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by otveit View Post
I would take a barnack over a bessa any day for the 15mm heliar. I used mine on a bessa before, then on a iiic and now on an Mda. The bessa was functional, and took the abuse I handed to it, but to me it does not look as good as a barnack and most importantly does not feel as good. If you dont mind the size I would recomend looking for an Mda, perfect wide angle sidekick if you are into M's.
Yes an MDA did cross my mind, but still a bit pricey, l know what you mean regarding feel and build quality, leicas just ooze a certain somthing, or rather, 'old metal' cameras ooze a certain build quality
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019   #4
WJJ3
Registered User
 
WJJ3's Avatar
 
WJJ3 is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hakuba
Posts: 694
I asked a similar question several years ago, and most people were recommending the Bessa. I ended up getting the Barnack and it was a great body for my purpose. Here is the thread if it is any help in your decision!


https://rangefinderforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=143310
__________________
Happy Shooting!
~Will

Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019   #5
CharlesDAMorgan
Registered User
 
CharlesDAMorgan is online now
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: South East UK
Posts: 962
I use my 15mm screwmount Heliar on my Leica III with the viewfinder, no problem. Ditto on my M2 or 3 with adapter. If you wished to be talked out of buying something then I can't see the point of buying another body to lug around if you already have lovely things on which to mount the lens.
__________________
Film amateur with a few rangefinders - Leica III, M2/M3, Werra 3 and Zeiss Super Ikonta 534/16 medium format.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019   #6
Dralowid
Michael
 
Dralowid's Avatar
 
Dralowid is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,612
On any Leica I does the 15mm viewfinder make it difficult to get to the speed dial?

Or does this only happen on the versions that have a fixed viewfinder and one accessory shoe?

I remember a problem with the big CV 21mm finder but can't remember which camera

At 15mm who needs a finder anyway!?
  Reply With Quote

Ic
Old 05-10-2019   #7
Toreno
Registered User
 
Toreno's Avatar
 
Toreno is offline
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 639
Ic

I sold my Bessa L, don't need center-weighted metering. I carry handheld lightmeter "everywhere".



I choose Ic.



or If



or Ig
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019   #8
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,417
Do you need fashion statement or low profile? L is taller than my Zorki, which is earlier Barnack copy. L is also most loud shutter in Bessa. As loud as in SLR.
The only reason to get L is its well placed TTL exposure meter.
And if you will not put half-case on it (to make it even more bulkier) its soft rubber back will become scratched in no time.
So, bulk in half-case and already taller than your IIIa what is the point of getting it, if you are OK with manual meter?
My first L had jamming shutter blades with bulk loaded films. My IIf never had this problem.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019   #9
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJJ3 View Post
I asked a similar question several years ago, and most people were recommending the Bessa. I ended up getting the Barnack and it was a great body for my purpose. Here is the thread if it is any help in your decision!


https://rangefinderforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=143310
many thanks for the link, hopefully this will help
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019   #10
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
I use my 15mm screwmount Heliar on my Leica III with the viewfinder, no problem. Ditto on my M2 or 3 with adapter. If you wished to be talked out of buying something then I can't see the point of buying another body to lug around if you already have lovely things on which to mount the lens.
l do indeed have some nice things to mount the lens, but alas Gas is difficult to cure
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019   #11
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid View Post
On any Leica I does the 15mm viewfinder make it difficult to get to the speed dial?

Or does this only happen on the versions that have a fixed viewfinder and one accessory shoe?

I remember a problem with the big CV 21mm finder but can't remember which camera

At 15mm who needs a finder anyway!?
yep the 15 is mighty wide
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019   #12
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreno View Post
I sold my Bessa L, don't need center-weighted metering. I carry handheld lightmeter "everywhere".



I choose Ic.



or If



or Ig
woah, wait a minute, you have some serious gear there
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019   #13
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Do you need fashion statement or low profile? L is taller than my Zorki, which is earlier Barnack copy. L is also most loud shutter in Bessa. As loud as in SLR.
The only reason to get L is its well placed TTL exposure meter.
And if you will not put half-case on it (to make it even more bulkier) its soft rubber back will become scratched in no time.
So, bulk in half-case and already taller than your IIIa what is the point of getting it, if you are OK with manual meter?
My first L had jamming shutter blades with bulk loaded films. My IIf never had this problem.
I must admit l am leaning towards the low profile option
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019   #14
WJJ3
Registered User
 
WJJ3's Avatar
 
WJJ3 is offline
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hakuba
Posts: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreno View Post
or Ig
I never understood the appeal of the Ig. Itís the same form factor as the IIg and IIIg, whereas the Ic and If are actually more compact by removing the rangefinder. Never really understood the appeal of the MD cameras for that matter either.
__________________
Happy Shooting!
~Will

Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2019   #15
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,308
Well while toying with the above question, Ic or Bessa L, l also toyed with the idea of a MDa as an option but discounted that option as prices for Leica MDa are a bit steep, anyway, three weeks back an MDa was listed on ebay starting bid of £220 with an best offer option, well l offered 240 and 250 both were rejected, the camera did not sell and was relisted last week, well to cut a long story short l placed a starting bid of £220 and won the auction this evening. I was initially worried that the seller might pull the sale post abction but l have just had an email from him indicating that the camera will be posted Monday, so it looks like l have an MDa, newly serviced, on its way to me. So l have a happy home for my Voightlander 15mm 4.5 to rest on.
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2019   #16
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,308
thanks everyone by the way for all the replies in this thread to my questions, as ever your wise words are much appreciated
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:51.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.