Old 10-01-2018   #121
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod2001 View Post
Of course I tried (Panasonic DMW-VF1) framing was ok on longer distances, but I shoot quite often < 2m and then its getting critical with the vertical framing. I used it with center AF as there is no other way with AF active, missed a lot of shots where I had to react fast and no time to focus in center and then recompose. Also, I need an OVF at least with diopter correction, not sure if the OVF from Leica or Zeiss have this, never tried because of the price.

As I said, still don't get why Ricoh is not offering an EVF as they did with some other cameras before, it's no longer rocket science in 2018/2019.

Juergen
Admittedly i am curious as to why they havent designed a hotshoe EVF. If there was anything in the newest model that would have attracted my wallets attention it woukd have been that.

Old 10-01-2018   #122
mod2001
Old school modernist

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraphoto View Post
Admittedly i am curious as to why they havent designed a hotshoe EVF. If there was anything in the newest model that would have attracted my wallets attention it woukd have been that.
Same here, would buy it in a heartbeat and even pre-order, something I never did before.

JŁrgen

Old 10-01-2018   #123
Archlich

The hotshoe contacts alone would not be enough for an EVF. It will need an extra data port below or in the shoe. Refer to the cameras with such design and compare it to the GR III to see if the later, in which the space had become so constrained that they had to omit the flash, has the space to accommodate such a port and remain "pocketable". No camera that could equip a external EVF could fit in your jeans' pocket (unless it's a very large one), and it's no coincidence.

People want this, people want that, and what makes it funny is that, they also want it small and cheap. But what's on the designers' mind must had been about shedding off anything that's not mandatory (still want the flash though). I have a feeling that the digital GR/GRD were always built around the idea of framing with a screen, because as a digital camera it will have one anyway. Its interface is excellent because it fully embraces what it is.

So if you want an EVF, buy a camera with an EVF. It's that simple.

Old 10-01-2018   #124
emraphoto

Panasonic LX7
Olympus XZ-1/2

Pocketable and can sport an EVF

Perhaps folks like the handling and interface of the GR series and other cameras aren't the preferred choice? Maybe not so simple?

Old 10-01-2018   #125
Dogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraphoto View Post
Panasonic LX7
Olympus XZ-1/2

Pocketable and can sport an EVF

Perhaps folks like the handling and interface of the GR series and other cameras aren't the preferred choice? Maybe not so simple?
GR is APS-C, both these cameras have small sensors.

Old 10-01-2018   #126
nightfly

I used to use the accessory finder, the GV-2, with mine that came in a package deal when I bought the GR I think. But in practical use, it just makes it more cumbersome and I got used to using this camera with the screen as viewfinder. The accessory finder mostly stays home.

It does make me feel a little less engaged with the photographic process, but the compromise for a small pocketable camera with a great sensor is a worthwhile tradeoff. The viewfinder on the original GR film camera wasn't that great for anything more than quick framing anyhow.

Old 10-01-2018   #127
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod2001 View Post
Don't know you pockets Godfrey, but serious? I tried it with the Fuji X-F10 just for fun, and that was no fun to put it in the jeans pocket. And the CL without lens is even 4mm thicker than the Fuji and 10mm more than the GR. Sounds not dramatic on paper but makes a huge difference in real life. The GR slips easily in any pocket, even my small T3 needs definitely more attention because its thicker than the GR.

Juergen
I never put any camera (other than a Minox or an iPhone) into my trousers pocket. Ever. Vest or jacket pocket only, or into a bum bag (or Peak Design Field Pouch).

Old 10-01-2018   #128
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
GR is APS-C, both these cameras have small sensors.
Another reason why i prefer the GR. With that said, not sure how much bigger the ports and such would need to be to accomodate an EVF with APS-C sized sensor?

Old 10-01-2018   #129
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
I used to use the accessory finder, the GV-2, with mine that came in a package deal when I bought the GR I think. But in practical use, it just makes it more cumbersome and I got used to using this camera with the screen as viewfinder. The accessory finder mostly stays home.

It does make me feel a little less engaged with the photographic process, but the compromise for a small pocketable camera with a great sensor is a worthwhile tradeoff. The viewfinder on the original GR film camera wasn't that great for anything more than quick framing anyhow.

Im not in the 'must have a viewfinder or no deal' camp. In fact, i find using a screen quite liberating and in some circumstances, safer. I can keep an eye on what's going on around me.

There are occasions though, where i wouldn't mind the EVF.

Old 10-01-2018   #130
Dogman

Since we've kinda floated off course a bit, I'll ask if anyone here uses the GR 21mm (equiv.) conversion lens? I have one, it's actually very good optically, but I haven't used it in a year or more. It makes the GR too bulky for pocketing.

Old 10-01-2018   #131
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
Since we've kinda floated off course a bit, I'll ask if anyone here uses the GR 21mm (equiv.) conversion lens? I have one, it's actually very good optically, but I haven't used it in a year or more. It makes the GR too bulky for pocketing.
I've used an wide-adapter accessory lens like that with the Panasonic LUMIX G 14mm on the Olympus E-PL7. Yes, it does make the camera a bit bulky ... but eh? It's a lot less bulky than some of my other ultra-wide cameras, like the Hasselblad SWC...

Old 02-21-2019   #132
dourbalistar

Available for pre-order!
https://pentaxrumors.com/2019/02/21/...for-pre-order/
https://www.slashgear.com/ricoh-gr-i...ions-21566757/

$899 MSRP, 24MP, 3-axis stabilization, hybrid phase/contrast AF, touch screen, closer minimum focus, and smaller form factor (similar size to the pre-APS-C GRD IV). Loses the on-board flash, though, for those aspiring Bruce Gilden street photographers.

flickr

Old 02-21-2019   #133
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
I've never pre-ordered a camera before, but I'm in on this one.

Have you seen an expected ship date?

John
FWIW, B&H's pre-order page says expected availability March 18, 2019:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...al_camera.html

flickr

Old 02-21-2019   #134
jsrockit

I can't believe it actually arrived... about a year or so too late really. Still cool to see a new one and looks like a great little camera.

Old 02-21-2019   #135
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
...Loses the on-board flash, though, for those aspiring Bruce Gilden street photographers.
Just in case, BG is using hot shoe connected flash.

https://youtu.be/kkIWW6vwrvM

Old 02-21-2019   #136
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Just in case, BG is using hot shoe connected flash.

https://youtu.be/kkIWW6vwrvM
Fair enough. Carry on, aspiring street photographers!

flickr

Old 02-21-2019   #137
FrozenInTime

I can see myself getting one by the year end.
The IBIS will be an asset for those atmospheric film noir night time city shots.
In the meantime, there is Fred Lyon’s book.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 02-21-2019   #138
farlymac
PF McFarland

I really like my original GR1, so getting a decent digital version would be a natural step.

PF

Old 02-21-2019   #139
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

I will definitely buy one when they have it in stock. Wish Ricoh could make GR to the full frame version in the future.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

https://www.instagram.com/kevinxbegin/

Old 02-21-2019   #140
aizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I can't believe it actually arrived... about a year or so too late really. Still cool to see a new one and looks like a great little camera.
and it only took them 10 years to add image stabilization!

maybe it'll just be another 10 years to add an EVF?

Old 02-21-2019   #141
dourbalistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post

I believe the GR Digital IV circa 2011 had image stabilization, so not quite 10 years.
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/engli.../features.html

But a non-auxiliary EVF or even OVF would be awesome.

flickr

Old 02-21-2019   #142
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:
...and they kept selling like hot cakes.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 02-22-2019   #143
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Arrival date just a little too late for my winter trip. I was all set to pre-order, but will wait so it isn’t sitting on my front porch for a week. I will miss the flash, but will likely shoot yet another GR till it falls apart. One of my all time favorite cameras, whatever the generation. I am rarely seen in a city without one.

I hope my current II can last this trip, a year ago my previous II lost the flash after a tumble and I got a somewhat battered II to replace it thinking the III would be out in the fall. Maybe one of those close out IIs would be a good move. I’d have one with a flash for nighttime that will last for a good while...

Old 02-22-2019   #144
jsrockit

Quote:

We might never see another GR after this... and they aren`t adding the EVF, ever.

Old 02-22-2019   #145
shawn

With a fixed lens a simple built in OVF would be fantastic.

Shawn

Old 02-22-2019   #146
Gregm61

Quote:
Originally Posted by dourbalistar View Post
I believe the GR Digital IV circa 2011 had image stabilization, so not quite 10 years.
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/engli.../features.html

But a non-auxiliary EVF or even OVF would be awesome.
Adding stabilization dropped the estimated battery life from close to 400 shots in the prior model down to 200 with the new one. Just imagine how much more it could drop with an attached EVF.

Old 02-22-2019   #147
Gregm61

Speaking of optical finder....

https://4.img-dpreview.com/files/p/E...16780.acr.jpeg

Old 02-22-2019   #148
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
With a fixed lens a simple built in OVF would be fantastic.
The days of built in OVFs in P&S style cameras is over.

Old 02-22-2019   #149
nightfly

How big an improvement is this over the GR II?

Personally I'd pick up a GR II at half the price if I didn't already have one. When It breaks (which it eventually will) the GR III will be down to $400-600 which seems a bit more reasonable for a fixed lens camera with a finite lifespan.

I'd give up on the wish for a finder and a longer lens, history shows that you are sure to be disappointed. Try the auxiliary finder if you must but I would bet you end up using the screen. It's just not really that type of camera.

Old 02-22-2019   #150
jja

I'm surprised people are demanding a built-in OVF or even an EVF. The GR series has always been about smallest possible size with the best possible picture quality. OVF/EVF would make the camera bigger, and most people are not bringing a camera this size to their eye anyway. As someone else mentioned, a hot-shoe OVF works well if you feel you need one. I have a Voigtlander 28mm viewfinder that I've used on my GR Digital IV and my GR and it's great for visualizing a photo.

It looks like Ricoh had to compromise between a built-in flash and IBIS. They chose IBIS.

My GR is the camera that comes with me most of the time--I appreciate its size and great picture quality, and I value the control it gives the photographer in the photo-taking process. I think the new sensor on the GRIII, along with Bluetooth (being able to sinc with a phone in order to share pictures quickly), makes this a good upgrade. I'll probably get one, sooner rather than later.

My RFF Gallery

Old 02-22-2019   #151
nightfly

Ricoh isn't doing themselves any favors with the folks doing early reviews:

https://www.thephoblographer.com/201...gr-iii-in-nyc/

The photos look horrible. Not the camera's fault, but they really need to get these things in the hands of some better photographers. This is the second one I've seen in the last day with just really crappy photos.

Not exactly highlighting the IBIS or new sensor

Old 02-22-2019   #152
stompyq

Quote:

The photos look horrible. Not the camera's fault, but they really need to get these things in the hands of some better photographers. This is the second one I've seen in the last day with just really crappy photos.

Totally agree with you. I absolutely hate that site. Just a garbage review with some equally bad images. Doesn't really matter though. This is a niche camera and those who need it will buy it.

Old 02-22-2019   #153
Gregm61

Those are some pretty horrid "sample" images. I downloaded a few raw samples posted at DPReview and they look pretty darn nice running through Adobe camera raw.

Old 02-22-2019   #154
dourbalistar

Quote:

I'm not sure how much control Ricoh has over who does reviews, but I agree the early ones are not good. Most seem to be done by tech-centric sites (e.g. The Verge, Engadget, Slashgear, etc...). In other words, tech reviewers, not photographers.

flickr

Old 02-22-2019   #155
Scapevision

I don't understand why any mention of GR always brings out gritty **** processed pictures on the internet. It's an amazing camera that makes colour photos that most of the time look better than any Canon/Nikon/Sony/etc. Them idiot reviewers gotta stop processing their photos.

Old 02-22-2019   #156
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:

I see nothing wrong with those pictures. I see more crap on RFF on color side and this famous photog book full of pingunes is worse bw comparing to bw in review.

Old 02-22-2019   #157
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapevision View Post
I don't understand why any mention of GR always brings out gritty **** processed pictures on the internet. It's an amazing camera that makes colour photos that most of the time look better than any Canon/Nikon/Sony/etc. Them idiot reviewers gotta stop processing their photos.
I think itís because it is (wrongly) associated with Daido Moriyama who hasnít used one in many, many years.

Old 02-22-2019   #158
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapevision View Post
Because reviewers are rarely great photographers.

Old 02-22-2019   #159
nightfly

Blame Daido Moriyama.

None of these guys have realized that he's moved on to color (and other cameras, I hear).

Old 02-22-2019   #160
DougFord
on the good foot

There's additional image samples posted by Ricoh.
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan.../ex/index.html

the walk