Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Which hand up when shooting vertical?
Clockwise, left hand up 35 27.34%
Counterclockwise, right hand up 57 44.53%
Sometimes clockwise, sometimes counterclockwise 36 28.13%
I never shoot vertical 0 0%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2019   #41
Richard G

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
I wonder if we can dig a little deeper? I can understand people using their right eye would put their right hand up, and the left hand for left eyed folk. I canít see how it would be comfortable to do it the other way, but Iím only me. So, is anyone putting the opposite hand up to the eye they use?
I can only say what I do with a Leica. I mostly use left hand up and shoot with my left eye and use my right index finger to trip the shutter. I am heavily L eye dominant and am partially amblyopic with my right eye which has good visual acuity but I can barely read a paragraph with it. But, when I bought a 35mm lens finally, I was in my early thirties and I switched to right eye shooting to get closer to the viewfinder with my glasses on.

I shoot right hand down for comfort. When I really need the camera to be still with a slow shutter speed I will sometimes deliberately go right hand up so as to have the camera body plastered to my forehead for extra stability.

Old 02-02-2019   #42
shimokita
白黒

-- Right handed, left eye shooter (it's my better eye), right hand up with (d)SLR... with the RF it's about 50-50

Old 02-02-2019   #43
dourbalistar

I answered, "Sometimes clockwise, sometimes counterclockwise." But in this photo...

Leica M5, Canon 50mm f/1.4 LTM, Ilford HP5+, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4884/...9640f457_b.jpg
2018.10.01 Roll #186-03084-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

(edit: Not sure why the photo isn't embedding as it normally would. Link seems to work, though...)

flickr

Old 02-03-2019   #44
nickthetasmaniac

I seem to be in the minority - right eye shooter, right hand (shutter hand) down. It always feels much more stable to have my shutter-side elbow wedged against my body than waving around in the air...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert blu View Post
Yes. The new generation is used to TV screens, movies screens, computer screens...
Given that TV, movie and computer screens have been ubiquitous for decades at miminim, Iím curious which Ďnewí generation youíre talking about? Baby boomers perhaps?

The Ďnewí generation are used to spending hours a day on their vertically oriented smartphones...

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 02-03-2019   #45
zuiko85

Right hand up. But, I'm left eyed and the camera body rests against my left cheek /nose.

I also shoot horizontal with the same hold....When using my Pen F.

Old 02-05-2019   #46
raid
Dad Photographer

This poll made me conscious which way I was holding my camera every time I go for a vertical shot! It happened to me this morning!

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 02-05-2019   #47
_lou_

Just use Bronica RF645!

Old 02-05-2019   #48
Doug

I can recall the time when I was deciding this issue for myself, about 50 years ago! I experimented vertical shooting in different ways of holding the camera for verticals. Cameras are basically awkward for verticals. I decided that right-up was more attention-getting, less discreet, but more secure. Right-down has a less-secure grip with the right hand, thumb on shutter button improves this, left hand better oriented for focusing, both elbows easily tucked into sides for stability. And, I'm left-eyed so I chose right-down!

Maybe try for yourselves to see what works best for you...

Old 02-05-2019   #49
bhop73

It varies, but don't really know why..

Old 02-05-2019   #50
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

I chose the third option asI am trying to train myself to have both elbows on my chest to help stability. It's more awkward with the RF because of the location of the VF.

Old 02-05-2019   #51
Archiver

For point and shoot cameras, I always shot vertically with right hand on the bottom, holding the camera with my palm facing me and thumb on the shutter button, and left hand with fingers on top to brace the camera, palm of the left hand resting against the bottom of the camera or my right hand fingers.

For SLR's, DSLR's, rangefinders and mirrorless, I shoot with my right hand on top, suspending the camera, while my left hand is underneath and supporting the main weight of the body and lens.

I'm right eye dominant and right handed.

Old 02-05-2019   #52
RObert Budding

Both hands down. One on the camera and shutter, the other on the lens.

"He could be right, he could be wrong. I think he's wrong but he says it in such a sincere way. You have to think he thinks he's right."
~ Bob Dylan

Old 02-05-2019   #53
telenous

While it comes to me naturally to turn the camera anticlockwise (right-handed, right-eye dominant) I have accustomed myself to turn clockwise in practice. Tucked in elbows shrink a bit my profile as I shoot and also give me a feeling of greater stability, especially for the slower speeds.

flickr
instagram

Old 02-05-2019   #54
YouAreHere

Usually I keep both elbows down and "push up" on the camera rather than raise one elbow which would mean a less stable "pulling up" on the camera.

Old 02-06-2019   #55
Guy Pinhas

Can you guys expand on the below? Not sure I understand. All TV shows and movies that I have seen, wether on the silver screen, TV or computer were displayed horizontally? I use a half frame which does lend itself to vertical by nature Also use my Leica but as of right now, the preference is the half frame.

Quote:
Yes. The new generation is used to TV screens, movies screens, computer screens and this makes (just my opinion of course) more spontaneous to shoot in the same way. Me too, even if no more young I'm more inclined shoot horizontally and sometimes I have to "force" myself to shoot vertically. I need more vertical exercise

The similarity horizontal photographs and TV or movies was also brought up by Ralph Gibson in a recent interview.

robert

Old 02-06-2019   #56
LCSmith
arbiter elegentiae

When I am composing vertically, I hold the camera clockwise, I suppose, but I hold the camera with my right hand only and press the shutter release with my thumb. Because of the weight and compactness of the Leica rangefinders, I find this technique particularly useful for candid street shots where a vertical composition is desired. Just let the camera kind of balance vertically in the loving bosom of your fingers (as it were) and if you want to be extra steady, just let the camera rest against your right shoulder.

That's what I do, at least.

Old 02-06-2019   #57
furcafe

I'm old(er) & am skeptical of any significant generational differences, except perhaps that w/the advent of high-res digital, it's easier to simply crop a horizontal shot than shoot vertically when a vertical shot is needed/works better. If anything, you're more likely to see vertically oriented video, etc., nowadays because of platforms like Instagram & the natural, vertical orientation of smartphones.

During the brief, ancient, heyday of 35mm film, there was a technical need to maximize use of the slide/negative & minimize cropping, so when you shot for a publication, for example, the editor/designer often would need both vertical & horizontal shots for layout purposes.

To answer the poll question, I shoot right-hand/shutter release down for verticals because I find it much more stable w/the elbows against the chest & the camera resting on my forehead. Depending on how quickly I need to shoot, I can use either my thumb or index finger to trip the shutter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Pinhas View Post
Can you guys expand on the below? Not sure I understand. All TV shows and movies that I have seen, whether on the silver screen, TV or computer were displayed horizontally? I use a half frame which does lend itself to vertical by nature Also use my Leica but as of right now, the preference is the half frame.
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 02-06-2019   #58
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
I am left handed and a left-eye shooter, and always rotate the camera counter-clockwise (as seen from my position) so that my right hand is above the camera and I engage the shutter button with my index finger.
Have done it this way since 1977 on SLRs, rangefinders and DSLRs.
Robert

Old 02-06-2019   #59
littleearth

Right hand up, unless I am shooting a P&S camera with flash.

Old 02-06-2019   #60
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

Depends on the camera. I'm left eye shooter and mostly shoot verticals right hand down. Especially with rf cameras because that keeps my left hand out of the way of the vf/rf. I also tend to use the base of my right index finger--just ahead of the knuckle--for the shutter.

Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 02-07-2019   #61
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

I’m reminded of helicopter pilots
They play such games, but not when lives are at risk.

Is there a point to this thread?

Think less, shoot more

Old 02-07-2019   #62
LCSmith
arbiter elegentiae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokosuka_Mike View Post
Iím reminded of helicopter pilots
They play such games, but not when lives are at risk.

Is there a point to this thread?

Think less, shot more
I believe the question was raised more out of curiosity than a desire to know whether a correct method existed.

Old 02-07-2019   #63
Yokosuka_Mike
The Beat Goes On

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSmith View Post
I believe the question was raised more out of curiosity than a desire to know whether a correct method existed.
I bet you're right. But, I was in a bad mood and now I'm feeling like I was a jerk for making such a thoughtless post. So, I'm sorry.

Life goes on.

Mike

Old 02-07-2019   #64
c.poulton

About 95% of my photos are shot vertically.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20476832940_fc7538c922_z.jpg (28.0 KB, 3 views)

My Gallery
My Flickr

Old 02-07-2019   #65
d_c

Right handed, left eye shooter, almost always right hand raised when shooting vertically.

Old 02-07-2019   #66
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSmith View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokosuka_Mike View Post
I bet you're right. But, I was in a bad mood and now I'm feeling like I was a jerk for making such a thoughtless post. So, I'm sorry.

Life goes on.

Mike
yes, correct curiosity is the main reason.

For many years (decades maybe) before digital I shot almost exclusively to produce slide shows, I had three Pradovit projectors synchronized via a special unit with music and things were much easier when images were all horizontal.

I stopped to do this years ago, but the habit to shoot horizontally persisted.

Lately I shoot more in vertical as well and I find myself not very "spontaneous " in doing it. Easier with right hand up but I do not like the position of my right elbow, I find it somehow intrusive specially if in a crowded place.
So the other position left hand up is more comfortable but I find the camera less stable. And sometimes I find myself using the thumb to shoot. Nice to know I'm not the only one!

At the end to answer my own poll I'm in the camp sometimes clockwise, sometimes counterclockwise depending on ...I do not know what!!!

And this is the main reason behind this poll, not a first world question...simply a way to speak a little bit each other about our habits...nothing special

And I desire as well to thanks all the friends who took part in the discussion, we are all different, we have different habits, different cameras, different ideas, different age and eyes

robert

PS: by the way I think that shooting vertically or horizontally or tilted is an important point in the photographic language but this should be the topic for a different thread !

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 02-07-2019   #67
Arbitrarium

Depends on the camera.

For an SLR with viewfinder in the centre, there's not much difference in comfort holding it whichever way, but if it's a long rangefinder with viewfinder in the left corner, holding it right hand up just feels a bit ridiculous.

I tend to rotate it clockwise just because it involves fewer elbows going all over the place and it's a bit less conspicuous.

Old 02-07-2019   #68
robert blu
quiet photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitrarium View Post
Depends on the camera.

For an SLR with viewfinder in the centre, there's not much difference in comfort holding it whichever way, ...
Probably this is the reason for which most of my friends whom I asked this question didn't have any preference !
robert
PS: I'm the only RF shooter among them !

Old 02-07-2019   #69
dave lackey

Quote:
Probably this is the reason for which most of my friends whom I asked this question didn't have any preference !
robert
PS: I'm the only RF shooter among them !
I have no real answer here... I am so screwed up it is just a matter of what it takes. Left Eye dominant!

Hasselblad=Square (no rotation)
Hasselblad 645=Rectangle (rotate as required, sometimes upside down, lying on the ground, or on tripod with ballhead, L bracket or tripod drops etc)

Nikon Film SLRs=Rectangle (same as above)
Nikon Digital SLRs=Rectangle or Square (Usually on tripod... L bracket if rotating)

Leica X1=Rectangle LCD held at a distance, rotating as required handheld (clockwise or counter clockwise)

RF ( I don't have one at the moment)=Usually right hand on top when rotating handheld.

Dave

Old 02-07-2019   #70
PaulDalex
Dilettante artist

I voted right hand down.
But I shoot exactly as Presspass says, except that I always use the index finger.
Using the thumb would give me a sense of instability and imprecision

Old 02-07-2019   #71
rodt16s

Voted right hand, there's been an odd occasion the other way round
Was thinking it feels easier to wind on with the right hand up
I mainly shoot RF

Old 02-15-2019   #72
robert blu
quiet photographer

Many interesting answers and comments here, thanks everyone.

Just because I'm curious in a week of RFF gallery I found horizontal pictures are more or less three times the verticals and 8 times the squared!

Now I'm trying to learn to shoot vertical more often

robert