SBLOO arrives but still considering an M2
Old 01-31-2019   #1
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,306
SBLOO arrives but still considering an M2

Well the SBLOO has arrived and l am more than pleased with it and it looks kind of quirky cool on my IIIg, however, GAS attack l have been offered an M2, (user at a good price), l know they are different beasts but do l need an M2 if l already have a IIIg with a SBLOO finder. I know the legenday M2 is a stunning smooth camera to use. Someone talk me out of or talk me into getting an M2
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #2
John Lawrence
Registered User
 
John Lawrence is offline
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,847
Up to you what you decide, but all I can say is that I once picked up a real beater of an M2 at a great price - and absolutely loved it. Really regret selling it.

I'd also add that if the price is right, why not get one and try it out? One of the (many) good things about Leica cameras is that if you have to sell them, either due to circumstances or because you don't get on with them / that model, you (usually) don't lose much money.

John
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #3
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lawrence View Post
Up to you what you decide, but all I can say is that I once picked up a real beater of an M2 at a great price - and absolutely loved it. Really regret selling it.

I'd also add that if the price is right, why not get one and try it out? One of the (many) good things about Leica cameras is that if you have to sell them, either due to circumstances or because you don't get on with them / that model, you (usually) don't lose much money.

John
its very tempting, l will let you know how l get on
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #4
analoged
Registered User
 
analoged's Avatar
 
analoged is offline
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: HNL/TYO
Posts: 350
As much as I love the view through the SBLOO, its just so massive on a Barnack (even more on a IIIG). Hard to bet an M2 for 35mm!!!
__________________
M6, 35mm Pre Asph Lux, 50 Elmar M

IIIasync, 5cm Summar, 5cm Sonnar, 3.5cm Elmar, 13.5cm Sonnar

Leicaflex SL, Leicaflex SL2, R6.2, 28mm Elamrit Ver II, 80mm Lux, 100mm Apo Macro Elmarit, 180 Elmarit, 400mm Telyt, 560mm Telyt

Epson R-D1
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #5
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,386
Any m is diffrent to any ltm. It allows to select shutter speed at any time and without manipulation.
It has advance lever. It allows to frame and focus with left eye with 35/50 without nose smashing.
Any ltm is good backup for m.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #6
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by analoged View Post
As much as I love the view through the SBLOO, its just so massive on a Barnack (even more on a IIIG). Hard to bet an M2 for 35mm!!!
yes its big but kind of appealing
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #7
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Any m is diffrent to any ltm. It allows to select shutter speed at any time and without manipulation.
It has advance lever. It allows to frame and focus with left eye with 35/50 without nose smashing.
Any ltm is good backup for m.
very wise words
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #8
madNbad
Registered User
 
madNbad's Avatar
 
madNbad is offline
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 672
Buy the M2 and some LTM to M adapters.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #9
punkzter
Registered User
 
punkzter is offline
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 44
I just purchased a user condition M2 (recently CLA'd). I think if the price is right, it's a safe bet you can always resell it for what you paid (as was stated above). I have a IIIf and an M3, and it's definitely easier to use the M3. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss cost or differences between the cameras.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #10
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by madNbad View Post
Buy the M2 and some LTM to M adapters.
funny enough l have a lonely 50mm ltm to m finder needing some work to do
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #11
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkzter View Post
I just purchased a user condition M2 (recently CLA'd). I think if the price is right, it's a safe bet you can always resell it for what you paid (as was stated above). I have a IIIf and an M3, and it's definitely easier to use the M3. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss cost or differences between the cameras.
many many thanks
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #12
madNbad
Registered User
 
madNbad's Avatar
 
madNbad is offline
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 672
Something like this?

[IMG]L1030628 by Michael DeLuca, on Flickr[/IMG]
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #13
John Lawrence
Registered User
 
John Lawrence is offline
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxmike View Post
its very tempting, l will let you know how l get on
Keep us posted!!

I really liked my M2 - can't really put it into words, but somehow it just 'felt right'.

John
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #14
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by madNbad View Post
Something like this?

[IMG]L1030628 by Michael DeLuca, on Flickr[/IMG]
nice, very nice
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #15
gnuyork
Registered User
 
gnuyork is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 702
Here's my attempt to talk you out of the M2... Don't get it.

But please do send me the info to the seller
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #16
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Here's my attempt to talk you out of the M2... Don't get it.

But please do send me the info to the seller
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #17
Richard G
Registered User
 
Richard G's Avatar
 
Richard G is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 37,47 S
Posts: 5,174
The view through the M2 viewfinder with a 35 mounted is one of the most stunning views in the whole Leica world. The camera is almost a current model, the MA, but better. Forgive me, but clever though the IIIg is, compared with the earlier and later cameras it is ugly. The SBLOO is too big. As you can tell from my avatar I even love the M2’s frame counter. A glorious machine, made for the 35, literally.
__________________
Richard
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #18
bayernfan
Registered User
 
bayernfan's Avatar
 
bayernfan is offline
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 742
Agree with the sentiment many others have shared. If you love 35mm lenses, you'll love the M2. It's such an intuitive combination. In shooting, the camera feels like it disappears and it's just you and the frame.
__________________
M_V instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #19
oldwino
Registered User
 
oldwino is offline
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
The view through the M2 viewfinder with a 35 mounted is one of the most stunning views in the whole Leica world. The camera is almost a current model, the MA, but better. Forgive me, but clever though the IIIg is, compared with the earlier and later cameras it is ugly. The SBLOO is too big. As you can tell from my avatar I even love the M2ís frame counter. A glorious machine, made for the 35, literally.
I agree. A M2 with a 35mm lens is quite a machine!
__________________
wandering the Earth with an Leica I conv, M2, M-D, a bunch of old lenses, and occasionally a Mamiya-Six or Isolette III.

beckmeyerphotographs.format.com
current stuff https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #20
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
The view through the M2 viewfinder with a 35 mounted is one of the most stunning views in the whole Leica world. The camera is almost a current model, the MA, but better. Forgive me, but clever though the IIIg is, compared with the earlier and later cameras it is ugly. The SBLOO is too big. As you can tell from my avatar I even love the M2ís frame counter. A glorious machine, made for the 35, literally.
you have a very good point but i sort of like the gangly/ugly look of the IIIg with the SBLOO attached, l must be very strange
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #21
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayernfan View Post
Agree with the sentiment many others have shared. If you love 35mm lenses, you'll love the M2. It's such an intuitive combination. In shooting, the camera feels like it disappears and it's just you and the frame.
i like the way you put things, 'just you and the frame', very well put
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #22
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwino View Post
I agree. A M2 with a 35mm lens is quite a machine!
You lot are bad influences l think l will pop by the camera clinic tomorrow and have a look at the M2 they have available
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #23
CharlesDAMorgan
Registered User
 
CharlesDAMorgan is online now
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: South East UK
Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxmike View Post
you have a very good point but i sort of like the gangly/ugly look of the IIIg with the SBLOO attached, l must be very strange
I think it looks great!
__________________
Film amateur with a few rangefinders - Leica III, M2/M3, Werra 3 and Zeiss Super Ikonta 534/16 medium format.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #24
bayernfan
Registered User
 
bayernfan's Avatar
 
bayernfan is offline
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxmike View Post
you have a very good point but i sort of like the gangly/ugly look of the IIIg with the SBLOO attached, l must be very strange
i'm very into quirky/strange combinations, so you are definitely not alone.
__________________
M_V instagram
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #25
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesDAMorgan View Post
I think it looks great!
many thanks
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2019   #26
Hilm3
Registered User
 
Hilm3's Avatar
 
Hilm3 is offline
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: South Pasadena, CA
Age: 66
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxmike View Post
nice, very nice


That is pretty, yes. The 35/3.5 works well with my M2. I don't mean to tempt you or induce GAS, so apologies in advance.
__________________
Hil
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2019   #27
Mute-on
Registered User
 
Mute-on is offline
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 298
The two nicest film Leica Ms for the 35mm lens are .......

0.58 MP and
M2.

I have both. Get the M2. Another one for backup is a good idea, too
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2019   #28
xasthur
Registered User
 
xasthur is offline
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Long Beach CA.
Posts: 71
I enjoy my M2 with 35mm lens but one thing that bugs me a lot about it tho is that since I wear glasses i cannot see the frame lines at all. I know it's not a big deal but it bothered me enough learn a new skill to where I don't really need to use the viewfinder.. zone focusing.

With that being said if you don't wear glasses you will be happy with the full viewfinder.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2019   #29
David Hughes
David Hughes
 
David Hughes's Avatar
 
David Hughes is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,475
Yes, get the M2 but get it from a dealer of repute who will guarantee it...


Regards, David
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2019   #30
Richard G
Registered User
 
Richard G's Avatar
 
Richard G is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 37,47 S
Posts: 5,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by lxmike View Post
you have a very good point but i sort of like the gangly/ugly look of the IIIg with the SBLOO attached, l must be very strange
No of course you're not. What could look ganglier than an M9-P with the DR Summicron plus goggles, but I love it for what it can do.
__________________
Richard
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2019   #31
Richard G
Registered User
 
Richard G's Avatar
 
Richard G is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 37,47 S
Posts: 5,174
While you're deciding.....


My camera since 1977
by Richard, on Flickr




Taken with the Olympus 50 f3.5 Macro
by Richard, on Flickr
__________________
Richard
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2019   #32
Deardorff38
Registered User
 
Deardorff38's Avatar
 
Deardorff38 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 814
Yes. An M2 with a 35mm is like a Rolleiflex with an 80mm....There is something completely right about it.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2019   #33
Erik van Straten
Registered User
 
Erik van Straten's Avatar
 
Erik van Straten is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,533
I agree that a 35mm is great on an M2, but a 50mm on an M2 is great too. Don't forget that. The 50mm frame of the M2 is perfect.

When you often change lenses wile shooting, an M2 is better than any LTM.

Erik.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2019   #34
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by xasthur View Post
I enjoy my M2 with 35mm lens but one thing that bugs me a lot about it tho is that since I wear glasses i cannot see the frame lines at all. I know it's not a big deal but it bothered me enough learn a new skill to where I don't really need to use the viewfinder.. zone focusing.

With that being said if you don't wear glasses you will be happy with the full viewfinder.

i am toying with pulling the trigger on an M2, must fight the gas
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2019   #35
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Yes, get the M2 but get it from a dealer of repute who will guarantee it...


Regards, David
its a camera dealer that l have dealt with for the last twenty years
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2019   #36
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
No of course you're not. What could look ganglier than an M9-P with the DR Summicron plus goggles, but I love it for what it can do.
good point, sometime quirky is beautiful, stumpy is beautiful, ugly can be charming too, thats wife the wife chose me
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2019   #37
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
While you're deciding.....


My camera since 1977
by Richard, on Flickr




Taken with the Olympus 50 f3.5 Macro
by Richard, on Flickr
what a stunning camera
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2019   #38
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deardorff38 View Post
Yes. An M2 with a 35mm is like a Rolleiflex with an 80mm....There is something completely right about it.
wise words indeed
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2019   #39
lxmike
Barnack fan
 
lxmike's Avatar
 
lxmike is offline
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Co Durham NE England
Age: 54
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
I agree that a 35mm is great on an M2, but a 50mm on an M2 is great too. Don't forget that. The 50mm frame of the M2 is perfect.

When you often change lenses wile shooting, an M2 is better than any LTM.

Erik.
many many thanks, l have a few ltm 50mm
__________________
Currently loaded: Leica, MDa, IIIg and Bronica ERTS.

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2019   #40
David Hughes
David Hughes
 
David Hughes's Avatar
 
David Hughes is offline
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,475
Hi,

This advertisement doomed me about 60 years ago but it took a while to get the camera and mine has neither the self timer nor the lever rewind clutch release...




It just shows how a clever picture can work on you over the years. I even got the lens to match the drawing.

Regards, David
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 00:47.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.