Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

favorite RF with selenium meter?
Old 01-28-2019   #1
analogpics

favorite RF with selenium meter?

Hey all, just curious what your favorite rangefinder is that uses a selenium meter? I love my kodak retina iiic and looking forward to getting a iii s in the mail soon. I was eyeing the minoltina s (also called the als?), but thought i'd throw it out there to see what else i haven't seen. The original canonet is really pretty too

Old 01-28-2019   #2
richardHaw
junk scavenger

i hate to say this but its probably the canon 7. as dinky as it is (i have overhauled one) it is still a nice camera if you disregard the build and quality. mine still works and is now working flawlessly after an almost total strip-down

next is the Contax 3a. i ranked it lower even though i loved it just because it has a tiny peep-hole...
http://www.richardhaw.com

Old 01-28-2019   #3
johnf04

I got good results with a Petri 7s - it felt clunky, but had a good lens, and the meter was accurate. I sold it......

Selenium metering
Old 01-29-2019   #4
randy stewart

Selenium metering

Based mostly on my use, my favorite cameras incorporating a selenium meter are the Voigtlander Vitessa L and the Kodak Retina IIIS. I had to apply a DIY repair to restore the Vitessa meter (got it very cheap at a swap meet because the meter workith not). The IIIS has carried on for years without issue - go Gossen. However, my favorite selenium meter is a handheld, a Weston V with the Zone System accessory dial. Unhappily, it stopped working some years ago, and I haven't gotten around to sending it down to Hollywood for repair. Back in the real world, I admit that I used to carry the Weston only as a back up to my Minolta Spot F, which can sort my zone placements much more accurately, or for the rare incident light reading.

Old 01-30-2019   #5
analogpics

Thanks for the replies guys!

richardHaw: I've been curious about the canon 7 for some time, you said the build quality isn't so great though? Was just looking at a contax iiia earlier today. Craftsmanship on that camera is great RF patch wasn't too bad either

johnf04: Aww man, you're not the first person to rave about the lens on the petri 7s. And they seem pretty affordable so may pick one up to test it out!

randy stewart: That Vitessa is so unique! The plunger style shutter button seems really awkward, but how is it in actual use? Does Gossen make the meters in the retinas? I love my retina iiic so much and excited to get my iiis next week!

Old 01-30-2019   #6
Goody

Another vote for the Canon 7. Very decent VF/RF with adjustment for 35, 50, 85/100, and 135mm (LTM) lenses. Selenium meter linked to shutter speed so you read off the f stop and set that manually. I can't speak to the build quality but I haven't had any trouble with mine - not bad for a camera from 1961. It has a metal foil shutter which is sometimes creased by ham fisted owners. If it's slightly creased function may be fine - but it's something to be on the lookout for. The only other quirk is that there is no accessory shoe. There was a gizmo made that hooks in the tripod screw and looks like something made with an erector set - that odd gizmo is costly on the used market, and looks awkward to use.

Old 01-30-2019   #7
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf04 View Post
I got good results with a Petri 7s - it felt clunky, but had a good lens, and the meter was accurate. I sold it......
My meter still works fine, and even though it is clunky it is way better built than the later 70s P&S cameras.

Old 01-30-2019   #8
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogpics View Post
Hey all, just curious what your favorite rangefinder is that uses a selenium meter? I love my kodak retina iiic and looking forward to getting a iii s in the mail soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy stewart View Post
Based mostly on my use, my favorite cameras incorporating a selenium meter are the Voigtlander Vitessa L and the Kodak Retina IIIS. I had to apply a DIY repair to restore the Vitessa meter (got it very cheap at a swap meet because the meter workith not). The IIIS has carried on for years without issue - go Gossen.
My Kodak Retina IIIc (small c) has a correctly working meter (previous owner had the camera mostly in the ERC I guess, and that must have saved the selenium cells), my two Retina IIIS have a theoretically working meter, but the transmitting yarn inside is broken in both cases. My Baldamatic III has also a very good working meter, and a metal gear transmission of the metering that cannot break that easily, but it suffers from other issues, unfortunately

Old 01-30-2019   #9
richardHaw
junk scavenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogpics View Post
Thanks for the replies guys!

richardHaw: I've been curious about the canon 7 for some time, you said the build quality isn't so great though? Was just looking at a contax iiia earlier today. Craftsmanship on that camera is great RF patch wasn't too bad either
i am planning on writing an overhaul article for both cameras you mentioned. you will see what i mean by "build quality". its no better-built than say an yashica. despite that, its the poormans leica m5
http://www.richardhaw.com