Shutter Cleaning?
Old 01-24-2019   #1
schlops

Question Shutter Cleaning?

Can you tell me what part of my Leica M6 I need to clean to stop having those nasty dust spots on my pictures? They are mainly on top and on the right side of the frame.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Old 01-24-2019   #2
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Dear Alex,
looks like ……… —— well, I don't want you to be too brave and then it's my fault if it goes wrong!
I would suggest, bring the camera to Jo Geier, or to Leicashop...

Old 01-24-2019   #3
schlops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarongi View Post
Dear Alex,
looks like well, I don't want you to be too brave and then it's my fault if it goes wrong!
I would suggest, bring the camera to Jo Geier, or to Leicashop...
so what is it? I'll probably end up bringing it to Leica anyway

Old 01-24-2019   #4
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlops View Post
so what is it? I'll probably end up bringing it to Leica anyway
I suppose fibres, whether from the shutter cloth (rather unlikely, but not impossible), or fibres of your clothes, your pets, e.g.

Old 01-24-2019   #5
jonmanjiro

Take any film out of the camera, remove the lens, open the back, and then open the shutter on B and hold the camera up to a bright light source and look through the film gate. You should see little fibres sticking up along the bottom frame. Easy enough to remove with a good pair of tweezers. But be careful!

Old 01-24-2019   #6
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
Take any film out of the camera, remove the lens, open the back, and then open the shutter on B and hold the camera up to a bright light source and look through the film gate. You should see little fibres sticking up along the bottom frame. Easy enough to remove with a good pair of tweezers. But be careful!
Instead of a metallic tool, *perhaps* I would prefer first a piece of Tixo (that's our name for adhesive tape in Austria, and in Bulgaria too, surprisingly)

Old 01-24-2019   #7
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarongi View Post
Instead of a metallic tool, *perhaps* I would prefer first a piece of Tixo (that's our name for adhesive tape in Austria, and in Bulgaria too, surprisingly)
Adhesive tape is a great idea! I have used tweezers a few times (and managed to not damage anything) but I like to live dangerously hehe

Old 01-24-2019   #8
schlops

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post

that's what I tried awhile ago and I didn't see anything.. Hmmm..

I'll try again! Thanks for the tipp

Old 01-24-2019   #9
Kevcaster

The dust/fibres show up as sharp and so are not travelling with the curtains. This points to the film gate, they are pretty small and so another close look may be worth it. The motion of the film through the camera may set up a small static charge that cause the fibres to stand to attention they may retire a little back to their rest without film and there back open. The suggestions above should work. I can date some of my pictures as a result of a reclusive hair in the film gate of my M6.
Leica M6 1989 - Leica M3 1955 - no more broken cameras - Zeiss Contarex Cyclops 1967 - no digital - Nikon F F2 F2A - only analogue - Horizon 202 - Hasselblad X-Pan - only silver media - Rolleiflex 2.8F - All now working as they should
Flickr