M4-P (slight) light leak?
Old 12-27-2018   #1
ileicadodachacha

M4-P (slight) light leak?

Hey folks,

Wondering if anyone here can help me out.

Not too long ago I sent out my M4-P to have its light seals replaced; something that was recommended after my images were coming out with faint halo-ing at the top and bottom edges (halo can be seen on the left and right side of the attached image). Though it seems like the halo effect is slightly more faint since the repair, it hasn't gone completely away. My repair tech was nearly certain that the leak was not coming from the back door, but due to where the light leak is located on the negative it seems like it might be a possibility. Anyone have any ideas of what may be causing this?

I'm developing at home, and scanning with a Nikon Coolscan LS-40 + Vuescan. (I've heard that the Coolscan scanners can have issues with light reflecting within, so I'm wondering if that could be a potential cause as well.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41646009785_759fd46429.jpg (155.8 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by ileicadodachacha : 12-27-2018 at 07:11. Reason: Fixed thumbnail

Old 12-27-2018   #2
Huss

Have you examined the negative itself? That would determine if your scanner is the cause.

You may find the filmlabapp.com smartphone app useful for this, as it reverses the negative image.

Old 12-27-2018   #3
ileicadodachacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Have you examined the negative itself? That would determine if your scanner is the cause.

You may find the filmlabapp.com smartphone app useful for this, as it reverses the negative image.
I typically take photos of my negatives with my phone prior to scanning and invert the image using PS actions I set up in PS express to check for any major errors. The halo effect isn't prominent enough to be noticeable on my phone, but becomes evident once I do a proper scan of the negative.

Old 12-27-2018   #4
Jerevan
Recycled User

What happens if you load the negative into the scanner flipped, so that you get the "halo side" to the right? Just an idea to see if the scanner itself accentuates the halo.

Another idea is to expose one or two frames with a lens cap on to see if you have a light leak somewhere.

Old 12-27-2018   #5
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Let's see entire negative. As the negative with sprockets.
If it is from the door, we should see it on sprockets as well. Right?

Old 12-27-2018   #6
tvdpid

I see the 'effect' at the left AND right side...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn BLA-L29 met Tapatalk

Old 12-27-2018   #7
ileicadodachacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdpid View Post
The negative is buried somewhere among my binders, so it would be hard to fish out. I have a roll I'm scanning at home so I may post comparison shots (negative vs scan) tomorrow for any images in which the halo appears. For the time being, I've attached a not so great snapshot of the negative I took while it was drying. I've also attached another image which has less of the halo effect (see the bottom right corner and the left side) along with a clearer picture of that negative.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45766947994_37a62d23d7.jpg (47.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 45766947974_5c4fe4ed47.jpg (49.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 40739472720_01ba1904f1.jpg (153.9 KB, 20 views)

Old 12-27-2018   #8
ileicadodachacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
What happens if you load the negative into the scanner flipped, so that you get the "halo side" to the right? Just an idea to see if the scanner itself accentuates the halo.

Another idea is to expose one or two frames with a lens cap on to see if you have a light leak somewhere.
I'll give that a try the next time the halo shows up, which will more than likely be during the roll I'm currently scanning.

Also planning to do that second suggestion along with checking the curtain with a flashlight in a dark room now that I just finished up a roll and the camera is empty.

Old 12-27-2018   #9
ileicadodachacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdpid View Post
Correct. Sometimes it shows up more on one side than the other, but it's pretty easy to see on this one.

Old 12-27-2018   #10
tvdpid

I had a similar issue with my M6 when I changed lenses in hard sunlight.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn BLA-L29 met Tapatalk

Old 12-27-2018   #11
newsgrunt

coupla questions. a) presume you've been processing before and had no problems ? b) if not, could be agitation issues. can't see how it could be light leaks if you're getting it at top and bottom of frame.

Old 12-27-2018   #12
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsgrunt View Post
coupla questions. a) presume you've been processing before and had no problems ? b) if not, could be agitation issues. can't see how it could be light leaks if you're getting it at top and bottom of frame.
If film is agitated by the stick, not by rotation of entire developing tank, I have seen something similar.

Old 12-28-2018   #13
ileicadodachacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
If film is agitated by the stick, not by rotation of entire developing tank, I have seen something similar.

I'm agitating in a stainless steel tank, so no stick, just traditional rotational agitation.

Old 12-28-2018   #14
ileicadodachacha

Update + new examples:
I spoke to my repair tech and he believes A.) that these are light leaks and that B.) doubling up on the internal light shields should solve the problem. I'm going to develop another roll over the weekend and switch up my agitation methodology to see if that makes any kind of difference. If the problem persists I will be sending the camera back to him for some additional tinkering.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46441883762_857fc60159.jpg (135.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 46441884382_f98d1b488f.jpg (131.7 KB, 13 views)