Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Nikon Lenses CLA
Old 12-23-2018   #1
Beemermark

Nikon Lenses CLA

I have 105/2.8 and 55/2.8 micro AI lenses that need a CLA. Focusing has become difficult due to the hardening of the grease. I sent them off to an Authorized Nikon repair service that I've used in the past (and was satisfied with the work and prices). The quote came back as $150 EACH. I used to pay about $50 but time marches on and I'm not sure if this is a competitive price or high.

As much as I like the lenses, for $300 I might just buy a new macro lens for my Fuji.

Authorized Camera Repair
Old 12-23-2018   #2
Tim Murphy

Authorized Camera Repair

Dear Mark,

This guy cleaned and rebuilt the Nikon 5.8cm f1.4 that was my on my Grandfather's FTN for $ 50.00. That was about 3 or 4 years ago but I highly doubt that his price has risen that much?

I was quoted $ 149.00 for the same job from a Nikon shop in the Midwest before I sent my lens to Authorized if that helps. You can email him and ask for a quote.

http://www.authorizedcamerarepair.com/

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg, PA
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man.

Old 12-24-2018   #3
blumoon

Try Jim at Vermont Camera Works http://vermontcamera.com/
He does a good job and his prices are reasonable.
A few months ago he cleaned oily blades and relubed the helicoid on my Nikkor-P 10.5 cm 2.5 for $62.00.

Old 12-24-2018   #4
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemermark View Post
I have 105/2.8 and 55/2.8 micro AI lenses that need a CLA. Focusing has become difficult due to the hardening of the grease. I sent them off to an Authorized Nikon repair service that I've used in the past (and was satisfied with the work and prices). The quote came back as $150 EACH. I used to pay about $50 but time marches on and I'm not sure if this is a competitive price or high.
Well, I was once an eyewitness how 'authorised' repair services work in the case of lenses having dried-up lubrication: some drops of ZIPPO fluid here, and some more there, and BOOM! DONE! everything's irreproachable ... makes EUR 150 in all, taxes included, please and thank you

Old 12-24-2018   #5
Beemermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Murphy View Post
Dear Mark,

This guy cleaned and rebuilt the Nikon 5.8cm f1.4 that was my on my Grandfather's FTN for $ 50.00. That was about 3 or 4 years ago but I highly doubt that his price has risen that much?

I was quoted $ 149.00 for the same job from a Nikon shop in the Midwest before I sent my lens to Authorized if that helps. You can email him and ask for a quote.

http://www.authorizedcamerarepair.com/

Regards,

Tim Murphy
Harrisburg, PA
Got a quick turn around this morning. $225 Each. Must be the holiday spirit.

Old 01-22-2019   #6
Steve M.

The lighter fluid "fix" is very, very temporary. As soon as the lighter fluid evaporates out, and it goes away quite quickly, the lens will do what it was doing before the lighter fluid was applied. We're talking about 1/2 hour.

Old 01-22-2019   #7
farlymac
PF McFarland

I think some of these places are starting to get swamped with work, and do not have the possibility of increasing their manpower to cover it. So the laws of supply and demand have kicked in, and everyone's rates are going up. I don't know as any of the preferred shops have apprenticeship programs in place, or plans for when they finally stop doing the work.

PF