Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

Russian Books about Cameras and Photography
Old 11-24-2018   #1
David Hughes
David Hughes

Russian Books about Cameras and Photography

Hi,

There's an interesting site with a lot of details about old (FED, Kiev, Leningrad, Zorki etc) USSR published photography books including things like repairs and so on. Scroll through it as the pictures alone justify the time spent.

You'll find it here:-
http://www.sovietcamera.su/files/e07...1256e8-16.html

Obviously, it's in Russian but there's Google translate to help you.

Lots of the pictures are interesting and there's links to more under each book. The Russian for link is Далее...

I wish I read Russian better (learnt at school over 60 years ago and seldom used; just once in France face to face). As a taster, one of the links is to an article about repairing FEDs and Zorkis:
http://www.sovietcamera.su/files/f4e...7c92b4-39.html

And there's more about Kievs, self timers, the Leningrad, rangefinder mechanics and so on and so forth.

Regards, David

PS And I now know that my name in Russian is Давид/Давида

Old 11-24-2018   #2
Out to Lunch

Let's wait for KoFe to get online.

Old 11-24-2018   #3
David Hughes
David Hughes

You could look at the pictures... ;-)

Old 11-24-2018   #4
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

This thread does deserve a "sticky"!

Thank you, dear David

Old 11-24-2018   #5
Brambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post

PS And I now know that my name in Russian is Давид/Давида
Three versions of sound in Russian.) + own version, purely Russian.
There are sites with books and without.

http://www.sovietcams.com/index.php?1957420938
http://www.photohistory.ru/1207248170259168.html
https://rangefinder.ru/books
http://www.ussrcameras.ru/?action=main
http://www3.telus.net/public/rpnchbc...%20optics.html
But it’s still better to read the paper version.)

Old 11-24-2018   #6
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Давида means David's.
If a is added to last name,like Hughesa, it is female family name. It means wife, daughter of Davida (belongs to 's). In Russian get married has male and femail pronouns. Become married and become married by.
In Russian Orthodox Church males have to stay separate from females, but I don't think it is strict anymore.

Old 11-24-2018   #7
Hannes

Thank you for the link, they have instruction manuals for Kiev 15, Kiev 10 and Kiev 5, which I urgently need.
Now I only need somebody who can translate it for me.

Hannes

Old 11-24-2018   #8
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Давида means David's.
If a is added to last name,like Hughesa, it is female family name. It means wife, daughter of Davida (belongs to 's). In Russian get married has male and femail pronouns. Become married and become married by.
In Russian Orthodox Church males have to stay separate from females, but I don't think it is strict anymore.
Thanks, interesting that Hughes is possessive. As in Hugh's wife but in old English Hughes wife. Like I said, I learnt Russian over 60 years ago and have forgotten most of it. Once friends in Prague said I'd be seen as an ignorant peasant if I said that...

Thanks again, David

Last edited by David Hughes : 11-25-2018 at 12:07. Reason: A grocer's apostrophe, OMG...

Old 11-24-2018   #9
David Hughes
David Hughes

And thanks for the flattering remarks everyone; I was searching in Russian for anything on the Industar-10 which is called the FED here and there and vice versa. These pages struck me as the most interesting.

Now we'll have to draw up a rota and take a page each of the most interesting book* and translate it on Google. The trouble is the internet is anti-sensible organisations...

Regards, David

*The 1930's FED ones, perhaps.

Last edited by David Hughes : 11-24-2018 at 07:33. Reason: Finger trouble...

Old 11-24-2018   #10
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I never seen Industar-10, but FED named lenses.
It looks like Industar-10 was more like production name and FED was because it was matching camera name.
After they started to make FED as Zorki at KMZ, they named I-22 as Zorki. I have this named lens matching Zorki for now.

Old 11-24-2018   #11
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I never seen Industar-10, but FED named lenses.
It looks like Industar-10 was more like production name and FED was because it was matching camera name.
After they started to make FED as Zorki at KMZ, they named I-22 as Zorki. I have this named lens matching Zorki for now.
That's my guess too; an internet myth and yet the "Industar-10" occurs so often that I wondered if there was a fire behind all the smoke...

Regards, David

Old 11-24-2018   #12
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Here is Russian historian page about Industar-10.
Apparently it is not myth, but I never seen lenses like these.

http://www.photohistory.ru/1207248188656237.html

Three versions. For Start SLR, for FED and earlier FED-2 and for some photo equipment with 18x24 frames, fixed focus on infinity.

Old 11-24-2018   #13
David Hughes
David Hughes

Thank you so much Konstantin. You'd be amazed if you knew how long I've been looking and finding nothing.

Regards, David

Ooops
Old 11-25-2018   #14
David Hughes
David Hughes

Ooops

I meant to say but didn't; the website has dozens of scanned manuals. OK they are all in Russian but they show the cameras in detail and that's useful when dating things. The page of FED manuals is here:-
http://www.sovietcamera.su/manuals/p...s/fed/fed.html

Click on the picture of (say) the 1934 FED and you'll find it's a link to a scan of the 1934 manual. And on the left is a list of the makes covered.

Regards, David

Old 11-25-2018   #15
Crazy Fedya

Quote:
I meant to say but didn't; the website has dozens of scanned manuals. OK they are all in Russian but they show the cameras in detail and that's useful when dating things. The page of FED manuals is here:-
http://www.sovietcamera.su/manuals/p...s/fed/fed.html

Click on the picture of (say) the 1934 FED and you'll find it's a link to a scan of the 1934 manual. And on the left is a list of the makes covered.

Regards, David
Thank you, David, for starting this thread. All these manuals are very useful. A few interesting bits I have noticed scanning through some if these manuals:

- 1934 FED manual is printed by Childrens Work Commune named after F E Dzerzhinsky, meaning that camera was still produced by workers under 18 years of age, because older members of the commune, IIRC, were transfered outside of commune. I am not sure if they maintained employment.

- FED and Zorki repair manual was printed for repair either at home or in field conditions. Apparently, cameras were not considered too complicated, and each photographer with a screwdriver and common sense was suppossed to eliminate most common malfunctions, including regluing shutter tapes.

There is a lot of unteresting info available at these pages. I have forgotten most of curiosities, like ones I have listed above.

Old 11-25-2018   #16
skopar steve

Thanks Dave. Very helpful for my growing FSU camera collection.

Old 11-26-2018   #17
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

Great pictures there (comrades), especially the covers of the Photo magazines thru the years.

Old 11-26-2018   #18
efinglada

A few years back I came across scanned PDF files with technical data on Russian lenses (in Russian), for years 1970 and 1971
They include sections of lenses with geometry and dimensions of optical elements, etc.

They are quite big files, so if anyone is interested I can share them through wetransfer (a couple of years ago I sent them to a member)

Regards

I found the link!!
http://www.lallement.com/pictures/files.htm

Old 11-27-2018   #19
David Hughes
David Hughes

"I found the link!!"

Fascinating, many thanks.

I've had a quick look and the 10.2 pdf or 1971 Catalogue Part 1 is very interesting and covers most of my lenses. Just skimming through it and looking at the numbers and diagrams is worth the effort. The text seems to be a pro-forma as looking quickly the pages all start the same way.

If anyone else is interested, then look at page 84 that deals with the Industar-50 (collapsible and rigid) but as it's a pdf look for page 82 and you'll get 84. A glance at page 82's second paragraph shows, in brackets Zorki, FED and Leningrad which most of us can recognise in Cyrillic.

(EDIT) And on page 52 you'll find a diagram showing the clearance to the film surface behind the Jupiter-12 and so on.

Regards, David

Old 11-27-2018   #20
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi Sam, Steve and David,

It's very useful isn't it. I've found that clicking everywhere that looks promising takes you deeper and deeper into it and so I find more and more. And the pictures are helpful as one day I'll see a 1934 FED manual and recognise it but no one else will and I'll get it for just 99 pennies.

I just wish I could turn these pdf's into text and then I could use Google's translation software. As it is I type out what looks interesting and then find the poor quality has mislead me into mis-spelling words. Luckily I can now recognise "objective" "anastigmatic" and all the brand names.

Regards, David

Old 11-27-2018   #21
efinglada

I am glad you like it, it is really interesting to see that amount of technical information with hand sketches and type written. Artisan work of the past century
Regards
Eduardo

Old 11-27-2018   #22
Sumarongi
Registered Vaudevillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by efinglada View Post
Quote:
"I found the link!!"

Fascinating, many thanks.
http://www.lallement.com/pictures/ = RFF member Abbazz I gather?

REpair Manual in English
Old 12-28-2018   #23
David Hughes
David Hughes

REpair Manual in English

You'll find it here:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BooK-Repa...f7c8%7Ciid%3A1

and that's all I know about it.

Regards, David

Industar-10
Old 01-07-2019   #24
David Hughes
David Hughes

Industar-10

I recently found a FED passport in a book and it mentions the Industar-10. That's the first link I've seen of the FED and Industar-10. It says:-

Объектив--ФЕД (анастигмат „Индусгар-10“)
с просветленной оптикой No.........…

and even I can translate that as:-

Lens - FED (Industar-10 anastigmat)
with coated optics No........

It's odd that they use the abbreviation "No" as the letter "N" like that doesn't exist in Cyrillic...

FWIW, the passport was for a FED 1 (G), S/No 637 759 and the lens was S/No 048679 and was dated 1955.

Regards, David

PS Has anyone looked at the English repair manual I mentioned above?

Old 01-10-2019   #25
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
I recently found a FED passport in a book and it mentions the Industar-10. That's the first link I've seen of the FED and Industar-10. It says:-

Объектив--ФЕД (анастигмат „Индусгар-10“)
с просветленной оптикой No.........…

and even I can translate that as:-

Lens - FED (Industar-10 anastigmat)
with coated optics No........

It's odd that they use the abbreviation "No" as the letter "N" like that doesn't exist in Cyrillic...

FWIW, the passport was for a FED 1 (G), S/No 637 759 and the lens was S/No 048679 and was dated 1955.

Regards, David

PS Has anyone looked at the English repair manual I mentioned above?

David, I've got an I-10, and from what I gather they were matched to whatever body they were put on before they decided to standardize the line. Thus, when I put my I-10 on any other Zorki, it either will not fit, or the Infinity stop winds up in a different place than expected.

PF

Old 01-11-2019   #26
David Hughes
David Hughes

Thanks, that's another piece of the jig-saw puzzle I am slowly trying to complete; then I just need to win a lottery or two...

Regards, David